Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't even know how to describe Hostile Waters, but it's an AMAZING third person vehicular realtime rts.

Destructible construction, combat interactive barks between characters while you're loving poo poo up - kinda like a more awesome starfox, kinda bad-rear end xcom-ish story and research technology, a GOOD tutorial mission, GOOD strategy and planning phases, really useful and responsive general/overlord view, awesome in the action combat gameplay.

No multiplayer I don't think, and no new game+, but it's SO loving GOOD otherwise.

It's a REALLY GOOD single player game, even though it has aged. Well designed.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North any good? I liked The Legend, I loved Armored Princess, but if it's just more of the same, probably gonna skip it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Remote User posted:

King's Bounty: Warriors of the North any good? I liked The Legend, I loved Armored Princess, but if it's just more of the same, probably gonna skip it.

Literally more of the same.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Drifter posted:

I don't even know how to describe Hostile Waters, but it's an AMAZING third person vehicular realtime rts.

Destructible construction, combat interactive barks between characters while you're loving poo poo up - kinda like a more awesome starfox, kinda bad-rear end xcom-ish story and research technology, a GOOD tutorial mission, GOOD strategy and planning phases, really useful and responsive general/overlord view, awesome in the action combat gameplay.

No multiplayer I don't think, and no new game+, but it's SO loving GOOD otherwise.

It's a REALLY GOOD single player game, even though it has aged. Well designed.

Plus Tom Baker as the narrator.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Remote User posted:

More of the same and arguably weaker than AP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think I've reached a point beyond worrying about backlogs and just accepting that there are games that I've bought that I will never play.

And I will probably end up buying more to add to that list.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been on the fence about Fight the Dragon for a long time. Does anyone have any opinions on it, and has it ever been on sale? I've only ever seen it for 15 bucks.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Drifter posted:

Literally more of the same.

Rascyc posted:

More of the same and arguably weaker than AP.

Thanks guys. It'd be nice if they used that formula in a radically different setting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Remote User posted:

Thanks guys. It'd be nice if they used that formula in a radically different setting.

You should play Expeditions: Conquistador. It's rather good, and similar to KB in some ways. http://store.steampowered.com/app/237430/

edit: Also, it's part of this $3 bundle apparently: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/reboot-bundle-6/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SynthOrange posted:

I think I've reached a point beyond worrying about backlogs and just accepting that there are games that I've bought that I will never play.

I found it's best to come up with a "Bundle Games / Mobile Ports" category and just toss everything in there that you don't even know what it is. If you don't know, you probably were never going to play it. I also have ones for "Hidden Object / Point-Click Adventures" and one for "Puzzle-Platformers" for the games you do recognize but for me, those two genres are just something I don't care about playing (that often). Chances are, you won't miss any of these games and you'll actually be left with games you're interested in which becomes very manageable.

i.e. here's my "Bundle Filler" catagory. And not that these are bad per se, just I didn't really know much about them and don't care to play them anytime soon , at least on the PC (aka never)

Especially with the new Steam Beta which makes group-select + categorize very easy without resorting to depressurizer (which was buggy).

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 12, 2014

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You should play Expeditions: Conquistador. It's rather good, and similar to KB in some ways. http://store.steampowered.com/app/237430/

edit: Also, it's part of this $3 bundle apparently: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/reboot-bundle-6/

Steam posted:

You already own Expeditions: Conquistador

Fuckin A.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

I'm grinding through. The thing is, I thought "well I can't even think of games I'd want to buy now, so I can actually get through my backlog", but then I thought, "well except that I want to buy Kentucky Route Zero at some point... and Blackwell Epiphany... and Child of Light... and Valiant Hearts... and Transistor and Wolfenstein New Order and Binary Domain and Deus Ex: HR and aaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhh

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is alpha protocol good?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

is alpha protocol good?

Emphatically yes.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

is alpha protocol good?

Very yes. Obsidian games do weird things to my brain though. Its dialogue system is second to none imo

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Awesome! posted:

is alpha protocol good?

Yeah.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also you get mission stats at the end of each level including 'orphans created'

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

is alpha protocol good?

I thought it was really bad when I played it, really clunky controls and terrible shooting.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

You could do what I'm trying to do and just play them enough to earn the trading cards. That's more then enough time to decide if the games are worth wasting my time on or not.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

They way I deal with it is:
Because games can be so cheap on the PC, I'm buying into a library that gives me the opportunity to play a large range of games. You have to accept that because it's so easy to get so many games for cheap, there's just not enough time to complete them all.
The post above about creating a bundle fodder category is good idea. It makes the "good" list much more bearable to look at.

If that still isn't helping, then set a schedule to try at least 1 or 2 games from your library a week (or use the great suggestion above about playing long enough for card drops). If you enjoy what you play, keep at it. If you don't, at least you gave it a try, and move on.
But be careful if it starts to seem like work. This should be something that provides enjoyment, and escapism. If it feels like work, then maybe change your approach.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 12, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Reason posted:

I thought it was really bad when I played it, really clunky controls and terrible shooting.
You don't play it for the shooting though.

Play it on easy and level up pistols and off you go.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah this is a game where the gameplay takes a side role to the "wait, HOW many branches are there in this story? :psypop:" factor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Deadly Hume posted:

Max out Chainshot and headshot multiple dudes with impunity. You can also get the Level Three Pistol Silencer really easily by finding it in the Listening Post mission in Rome right off the bat to make yourself an unstoppable invisible killer (it's in a storage room on the table).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also specialize in Martial Arts, it makes the combat pretty fun because you just go around jump-kicking people in the face and then curbstomp them while they're downed.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alpha Protocol is a game where you can take the same dialogue options and wind up with completely different endings somehow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibayasu posted:

Alpha Protocol is a game where you can take the same dialogue options and wind up with completely different endings somehow.

Just as an example; The main antagonist in Rome will react differently to the same dialogue choices depending on how you've been playing so far when you first meet. If you've been playing as a calm, professional agent and start giving him poo poo, he'll know you're deliberately winding him up and call you on it. However if you play as King rear end in a top hat, Master of Chaos, he'll lose his poo poo at you.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously if you haven't played Alpha Protocol, get on that. There is a reason why people say Obsidian's writing is good. This game shines upon that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

is alpha protocol good?

Literally the best RPG ever made as far as I'm concerned.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Alpha Protocol is cool. That said I should probably pick it up again and finish it :v:.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Alpha Protocol is an RPG, not a shooter. The first chapter that takes place in Saudi Arabia is actually a very poor representation of the game.

It's a lot like the original Deus Ex, in more ways than one. If you can look past its clunky game mechanics, there's some really good stuff there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alpha Protocol has some really cool ideas and some fantastic dialog. Too bad the actual storyline is mediocre and the gameplay is kind of bad. The dialog is great, though.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Tesla Effect is pretty cool, guys. I'm saying this as someone for whom this was the first FMV game ever. There's a pretty good hint system, so you'll never get stuck for good.

My only complaint are the canned responses. They should've had Murphy actually ask the questions and then get a response.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Alpha Protocol has Nolan North's most batshit insane character he ever voiced in it, and it's quite awesome.
In addition to that you can look like either the douchiest douchebro ever or the dopiest hipster with an ushanka.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Battleblock theater's coop has a unique transcendent quality to it in that it is a great game for making friends with people - both online and local coop. The coop trust exercises + screwing around is a nice formula. You both feel like pals in a goofy buddy comedy cartoon.

You also both feel like MLG badasses when you pull off an A++ on a level. :cool:

Oh and in addition to 2player coop, it has a 4player online play that has a pretty decently smash brothery feel. It's no smash brothers but it does nicely as a go-to game of that kind for steam play.

Anyway yeah - it's worth getting for at least one friend who doesn't have it, in addition to yourself. http://store.steampowered.com/app/238460/

This shows off pretty nicely how silly and rewarding it can be, even just starting in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtgQFLDPF9M

Oh yeah, and tonight I just bought 2 copies of the game for 2 steam friends and played with them both - this is what prompted me to make this post. :dance:

Try buying this game for a friend of yours to play together - they will really dig you for it.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 12, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So many bundles :psyduck: I need a piece of advice on some of them.

Are there any other good games in the Groupees bundle (https://groupees.com/babmb) beside 99 Spirits and 100% Orange Juice?

Bundle Stars has some kind of sale on all its previous bundles (?), any of them exceptionally good?

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

lordfrikk posted:

Bundle Stars has some kind of sale on all its previous bundles (?), any of them exceptionally good?

Some titles are worth getting at the price like Expeditions: Conquistador, Hard Reset + Zeno Clash 2, Galaxy on Fire 2 and a couple of others but honestly no bundle is exceptionally good.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

So many bundles :psyduck: I need a piece of advice on some of them.

Are there any other good games in the Groupees bundle (https://groupees.com/babmb) beside 99 Spirits and 100% Orange Juice?

99 Spirits isn't that good unless you enjoy repetitive grinding. Little Big Adventure was really cool, but it's an oooold game. Lili is supposed to be okay enough too despite being an iOS port.

Bundlestars:
  • Ship Simulator: the trailer music :allears:
  • Reboot 6.0: good for Expeditions: Conquistador, Knytt Underground, and Rock of Ages. Steel Storm is poo poo though
  • Reboot 4.0: Hard Reset, Tropico Trilogy, Zeno Clash 2, Inquisitor
  • RPG Champions: Two Worlds 1 and 2 if you like those, Enclave is a decent oldgame

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
^^^ Thanks, guys! ^^^

Quest For Glory II posted:

New bundle:

$1
Orcs Must Die
Orcs Must Die 2
Hero Academy
Echo Prime

BTA (currently $3)

Orcs Must Die DLC
Orcs Must Die 2 DLC

http://www.indieammobox.com/

How do you buy it without paying literally $100? I see no editable box.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has anyone played GhostControl Inc.? It looks like a Ghostbusters game in an XCOM style.

But is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

lordfrikk posted:

^^^ Thanks, guys! ^^^

How do you buy it without paying literally $100? I see no editable box.
The Giant "name your price" button takes you to an editable box?

• Locked thread