Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Trilineatus posted:

Should I not let my crested and gargoyle see each other? :(

If they don't care then there is no real reason to. I had to otherwise they'd just sit there all day staring. Both of them being male might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
An update on my beardie and skink problem. I bought the skink a big fake turtle shell and placed it in his cage, now hes usually either behind it or under it so my beardie cant see him. Gonna give it a few more days but he already seems a lot more calm. On another note watching the skink eat butterworms is way too cute. He just bites into it then proceeds to shake it and drag it on the ground before eating it. Does anyone here have much experience with sexing skinks? I would like to know if its a boy or girl.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Galactic posted:

An update on my beardie and skink problem. I bought the skink a big fake turtle shell and placed it in his cage, now hes usually either behind it or under it so my beardie cant see him. Gonna give it a few more days but he already seems a lot more calm. On another note watching the skink eat butterworms is way too cute. He just bites into it then proceeds to shake it and drag it on the ground before eating it. Does anyone here have much experience with sexing skinks? I would like to know if its a boy or girl.

Sexing bts is notoriously difficult. Easiest way is to watch how they behave towards another bts with a known sex, and even that isn't 100% unless they're sexually mature.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm going to do a snake photo dump because my snakes are very pretty and you should look at them.

This is Rolo, my yearling hypo Cali King. A bit over two feet.

This is the famous Elvis, my friendly two year old Cali King. Now three feet long.

This is my yearling Bullsnake, who does not have a name, but is pretty cool. He's a big bluffer and does his angry face every time I pull out the camera. About 3/5 feet long.

This is the female hypo Boa constrictor (het kahl albino) that I am picking up after I move next week.

I've been fostering a very nice Boa constrictor for the last month. She went to her new home yesterday.

I picked up this foster also yesterday and I've already decided to keep her. She's a grey rat snake, about 4 1/2 feet long and very healthy looking. Estimated to be around 3 years old.

So... those are my snakies!

This is the big fat toad that lives in my back yard. Its name is Bob and it has lived here for at least three years.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wow Bob is amazing. He looks big enough to eat mice. Where do you live? Also, is Elvis biting the gently caress out of your hand there or what is going on.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Leperflesh posted:

Wow Bob is amazing. He looks big enough to eat mice. Where do you live? Also, is Elvis biting the gently caress out of your hand there or what is going on.

I'm in Minnesota. Bob is definitely big enough to eat a hopper. :) Elvis is always biting. He's not been very friendly since his two month long escape earlier this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doesn't that hurt? Should you really be letting him do that? You might get salmonella or maybe snake AIDS or become a weresnake :ohdear:

Also I think Bob is an eastern American Toad (Anaxyrus americanus americanus) although in theory he could be a Woodhouse's Toad (Bufo woodhousii), if you live right on the western edge of Minnesota. Or a hybrid of those two, since apparently they can hybridize.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

So uhh,

as it turns out our little boy crestie is in fact a little girl, and has laid an egg. It's not that well calcified and definitely infertile, poor girl had to lay in between the leaves and the back wall of the tank. I'm getting a lay box in there for her. She seems a bit thin but otherwise fine. Does female crested behaviour change noticeably when they're about to lay? Is there anything special I need to do for her?

We were calling her Icarus, maybe we'll have to find a nice Greek lady name that'll suit her :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Make sure she gets enough calcium, give her a laying box, and she'll be just fine. If you want to, you can check her calcium sacs, but don't stress her out too much doing that. It's best if you can get an experienced person to demonstrate for you.

Here's a video but you don't get a very good view of the sacs in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVqPF4V_GuI

Like they say in the video don't do it too often. I think actually once every six months is plenty, and once you've had your animal on the same diet for a long time if the calcium sacs are always OK, and there's no sign of MBD, and you're not breeding her, I don't think you need to check them at all any more.

If you do decide to do this, you need to also be handling your animal regularly. If you try to grab her and hold her still to do it, and she's not used to being held/contact, she might drop her tail. Which won't kill her but it'd be a shame to lose her tail that way. Make most of your handling sessions positive experiences and she'll be much more likely to hold still and let you stick something in her mouth for a few seconds.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Octolady posted:

So uhh,

as it turns out our little boy crestie is in fact a little girl, and has laid an egg. It's not that well calcified and definitely infertile, poor girl had to lay in between the leaves and the back wall of the tank. I'm getting a lay box in there for her. She seems a bit thin but otherwise fine. Does female crested behaviour change noticeably when they're about to lay? Is there anything special I need to do for her?

We were calling her Icarus, maybe we'll have to find a nice Greek lady name that'll suit her :3:

My girls tend to get a bit more bitchy and stop eating the day or so before they lay across the board but normally, nah, they're still themselves. I'd keep that egg anyway. "Definitely" infertile sometimes is actually fertile after a day or two.

I usually mix a little extra calcium powder into their food once a week.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CduIbva1htU

This may be the cutest thing I've ever heard :kimchi: "Not tonight, I've got a headache"

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Is it normal for my skink to go crazy like this? I find it really endearing but should I be worried? Is this just how he would eat small things in the wild?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqRx5ERndM

EDIT: Sorry for the lovely cell phone video.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

^^
Oh my god, so squeaky!

Thanks guys, I'll mix a teeny bit of calcium in for her. I was keeping the egg in a box with some sphagnum but sadly I think it's not in great condition, mostly yellow and denting on two sides. I'm surprised because it can't have been in there more than 2 days since I recently cleaned, is that a bad sign for her health?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Octolady posted:

^^
Oh my god, so squeaky!

Thanks guys, I'll mix a teeny bit of calcium in for her. I was keeping the egg in a box with some sphagnum but sadly I think it's not in great condition, mostly yellow and denting on two sides. I'm surprised because it can't have been in there more than 2 days since I recently cleaned, is that a bad sign for her health?

Cresties often just lay infertile eggs just wherever. So dont be alarmed if she doesn't bother with the lay box.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah my females have all been kept completely isolated from males their whole lives (I am not interested in breeding geckos) and they all lay eggs regularly. All over the place in the tank. They are often wrinkly and raisinlike too.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Galactic posted:

Is it normal for my skink to go crazy like this? I find it really endearing but should I be worried? Is this just how he would eat small things in the wild?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqRx5ERndM

EDIT: Sorry for the lovely cell phone video.

Haha oh yeah, that's perfectly normal. It's even funnier when they're eating dog food and are like "I'LL RIP YOU TO SHREDS!" to this big, inanimate pile of food.

Try feeding your skinky Zoo Med Can o Snails and watch how insane it gets. :3:

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Well tonight I found my little gal chillin in her fern with just her head poking out. It was the cutest goddamn thing I've ever seen. Cresties are just super soft and sweet and aaaaa :3: Still surprised at the amount of people I speak to who think reptiles are gross and cold and slimy :(

Sheikh Yerbooti
Aug 7, 2014

Haram
Piles of these tiny frogs (I assume they're frogs and not toads?) are invading the area around our office here. They're more cute than anything but what exactly are they? There are also black ones. I've seen ones smaller than my pinky nail and the largest I've seen is about thumbnail sized, maybe a tiny bit bigger.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Where are you?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

That's some sort of toad (Anaxyrus spp., formerly Bufo). We'd need a location and proably a better picture to determine what species it is. They're coming out of the water, and they tend to do so in really big numbers. You'll see tons of the little guys for a while, and then they'll all but disappear, as most get eaten or die and the rest disperse away from the breeding pond.

Sheikh Yerbooti
Aug 7, 2014

Haram
I'm in Louisiana if it helps at all. I'll try to get a better picture but they keep hopping away when I try to get closer!

We do have a very large lake nearby.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

To me it looks like it might be a treefrog or chorus frog of some kind, but it also could be a baby toad. The picture's too bad to tell.

http://www.louisianaherps.com/order_anura.html
Go nuts.

Maybe this guy?
http://www.louisianaherps.com/cajun-chorus-frog-pseudacri.html

Sheikh Yerbooti
Aug 7, 2014

Haram

Knormal posted:

To me it looks like it might be a treefrog or chorus frog of some kind, but it also could be a baby toad. The picture's too bad to tell.

http://www.louisianaherps.com/order_anura.html
Go nuts.

Maybe this guy?
http://www.louisianaherps.com/cajun-chorus-frog-pseudacri.html

Thank you for the links! This will make for some fun during breaks.

I have always enjoyed reptiles and avians and they seem to pop up in the weirdest of places.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sheikh Yerbooti posted:

Thank you for the links! This will make for some fun during breaks.

I have always enjoyed reptiles and avians and they seem to pop up in the weirdest of places.

Frogs being neither of those, of course.

Sheikh Yerbooti
Aug 7, 2014

Haram

Leperflesh posted:

Frogs being neither of those, of course.

Amphibians are pretty neat too obviously.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
My sister's boyfriend is moving to Germany for two years and I'm babysitting his redtail while he's gone. We get her next week!

My still unnamed Sunbeam ate for me for the first time and holy poo poo do those snakes ever have an impressive feeding response. You'd miss the snake swallowing it's food if you so much as blink. I'm really glad she's started eating. Gonna get a couple more meals in her and then do a round of deworming to hopefully prevent her keeling over like most sunbeams do.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

That Sunbeam is gorgeous. I've never seen one before. Are they common in the hobby?

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
Got a new boa today. A baby Anery het for Kahl. I've never had an anery animal before, but the black eyes and silver and grey just look amazing! :D

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

That Sunbeam is gorgeous. I've never seen one before. Are they common in the hobby?

They're not hard to find but they are almost 100% wild caught. They are a bit difficult to keep and are very shy. They spend nearly all their time burrowed underground.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Big Centipede posted:

They're not hard to find but they are almost 100% wild caught. They are a bit difficult to keep and are very shy. They spend nearly all their time burrowed underground.

Yep this, there are only a handful of people who've managed to breed them in captivity. With WC comes internal parasites and being easily stressed which is an issue for an already sensitive snake and a lot of people's never eat and then die in ~6 months. They're definitely not display snakes or ones you can handle much, most of the time you basically own a pet box of moss. A few people who keep them mentioned that giving them a swimming area increases the amount they come out and so far that seems to be true for mine as I occasionally catch her poking around in her pond late at night. The other upside of water elements in the tank is that it makes their insane humidity requirements a bit easier to manage. I am a bit tempted to give her some feeder fish someday to see what she does. We're over the first two hurdles, hopefully the vet won't find any parasites in her fecal and if he does she survives deworming.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I've been considering getting a snake for a while now but haven't really made a decision on what I want from the pool of recommended "starter" snakes. I've been dissuaded from getting a ball python and I like and have handled corn snakes so that was going to be my choice, but the Mexican Black King has recently caught my eye. Unless I am missing something most of the information I have seen suggests they're easy to feed and handle but I figure the knowledge base here would be a good place to find out if there any quirks with this particular species I should know about.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Potential BFF posted:

I've been considering getting a snake for a while now but haven't really made a decision on what I want from the pool of recommended "starter" snakes. I've been dissuaded from getting a ball python and I like and have handled corn snakes so that was going to be my choice, but the Mexican Black King has recently caught my eye. Unless I am missing something most of the information I have seen suggests they're easy to feed and handle but I figure the knowledge base here would be a good place to find out if there any quirks with this particular species I should know about.

Mexican black king is a fine choice for a first snake. Aside from the fact they can be a little nippy as babies but they calm down as they get older. They are very hardy and easy snakes. Their care is pretty much identical to the California kingsnake's care. 85-75 temp gradient, moderate humidity, weekly feeding. That's about it. A great choice for a first snake.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Glad to hear the Mexican blacks are a good choice, I like the black racers and rat snakes that I encounter around here but they're mean as piss and wild so not really candidates for captivity.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.

Potential BFF posted:

Glad to hear the Mexican blacks are a good choice, I like the black racers and rat snakes that I encounter around here but they're mean as piss and wild so not really candidates for captivity.

Ive had awesome experiences with mexican black kings. They have a crazy food drive and tame down with some handling. If black snakes are your thing, you may also want to look into black milksnakes. They can get up to six feet generally, but are some of the most mild snakes as adults, but have general milksnake attitude when little.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
My Mexican black king snake is huge jerk and kind of unpleasant to handle but she's only a year old. She eats like a horse and is incredibly easy to care for though.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hello Reptile lovers! Was in a sort of Amazing Race scavenger hunt on Saturday and this cute guy crawled on me. Can someone tell me what it is?

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Definitely looks like a Tegu to me.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the quick response!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Black and white tegu, specifically. I'm not just stating the obvious, that's actually their common name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Now I'm thinking about getting started. Was looking at Rankin's dragon as a nice starter reptile but saw this ad which seems like a great deal for a beginner.
A friend at work has a snake, so I'm going to ask him about it and for other advice.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-pets/city-of-toronto/ball-python-10-months-50-gallon-tank-habitat/1009518522?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

• Locked thread