Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I knew there was dome reason to keep my 360 hooked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I can't imagine what kind of figure could have made sense for SE.

It's also potentially damaging to the brand. Look at what happened to Splinter Cell.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rinkles posted:

The next Tomb Raider was just announced as exclusive to the bone. Probably timed but still kinda crazy.

Who the hell negotiated that deal and how drunk were they to think it was a good idea? When I think of franchises that people buy consoles for, it's not Tomb Raider...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It doesn't really make sense for either side as a full exclusive. I imagine it's probably timed, because otherwise, it's a really poor expenditure for Microsoft and a straight up bad deal for SquareEnix.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Seedge posted:

Some of the most fun I've had this year has been Sportsfriends and Towerfall with friends. Injustice has been a great brawler. As for Plus, Strider is great. Pixeljunk Shooter was great. Transistor's my GOTY so far. Also, you should try to borrow TLOU, it's one of the best story based shooters out there.

If Injustice can be considered a great fighting game, and Transistor is GOTY, I think that says a lot for how this year in games has been going so far. Although to be fair a large portion of triple AAA releases are Sept-Dec.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rinkles posted:

I can't imagine what kind of figure could have made sense for SE.

It's also potentially damaging to the brand. Look at what happened to Splinter Cell.

I don't think it was a sensible business decision for either side. For Square Enix it's going to have a negative impact on the brand. For Microsoft, Tomb Raider is neither the kind of huge-selling blockbuster or interesting niche title that gets people to buy a console. Tomb Raider is just kinda...there, I guess.

Tomb Raider 2013 was pretty good, but a sequel to it is not the kind of game that makes me think "Hmm, maybe I should buy another console for this." It's an entirely disposable game. :shrug:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Haven't all the console exclusives basically been false because they just release Game: Ultimate Edition! like 3 months later and it counts as separate game for exclusivity rights?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Guess that just means the bone will have some great titles when I buy one after a price drop. Still a bummer. No PC version either?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

big mean giraffe posted:

Guess that just means the bone will have some great titles when I buy one after a price drop. Still a bummer. No PC version either?

Not according to SE.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Megasabin posted:

If Injustice can be considered a great fighting game, and Transistor is GOTY, I think that says a lot for how this year in games has been going so far. Although to be fair a large portion of triple AAA releases are Sept-Dec.

People have different metrics on fighting games than you do, maybe? Injustice is easy to get into, stars recognizable characters, looks good, and still manages to have a decent amount of strategic depth. Plus, plenty of people found Bastion to be GOTY in a year that included games like Skyrim and Arkham city.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Crystal Dynamics / Square Enix have made a horrible mistake, and are they really pitting this up against Uncharted 4? :psyduck:

Tomb Raider 2013 was a good game but I wouldn't buy a console for it.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It has to be a timed exclusive. Square-Enix might be dumb as all hell but the can't be as dumb as this.

Can't wait for the 'Rise of the Tomb Raider has not met our sales target and with that Crystal Dynamics will be closed' press release.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MZ posted:

Tomb Raider 2013 was a good game but I wouldn't buy a console for it.

May have been the only late 2015 3rd party title that kinda matters, within affordability for MS.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

PantsBandit posted:

People have different metrics on fighting games than you do, maybe? Injustice is easy to get into, stars recognizable characters, looks good, and still manages to have a decent amount of strategic depth. Plus, plenty of people found Bastion to be GOTY in a year that included games like Skyrim and Arkham city.

Yeah, I dont like fighting games but I loved Injustice. Injustice might be a fighting game for people who dont like fighting games.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

PantsBandit posted:

I guess I can't really argue with your statement about Injustice. I just value gameplay depth in a fighting game way more than that other stuff, but you are correct that low barrier to entry and superheroes is probably appealing. On the other hand, Bastion is one of my favorite games in the past few years, and Transistor is a far cry from Bastion. I feel that Transistor is so far from GOTY, that the fact that its being thrown up there is kind of a testament that 2014 was a pretty slow year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It has to be a timed exclusive. Square-Enix might be dumb as all hell but the can't be as dumb as this.

Can't wait for the 'Rise of the Tomb Raider has not met our sales target and with that Crystal Dynamics will be closed' press release.

Looks like it's straight-up exclusive, they just made a tumblr post about it. 360/One only.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The move to make Rise of Tomb Raider Xbox One exclusive, really stings for me. The last game was very good and I was pretty excited about playing this one. From Crystal Dynamics and S-E's point of view, just straight up having the game paid for completely right now is a better deal then hoping retail sales will turn a profit. Which historically for S-E has not been happening.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Looks like it's straight-up exclusive, they just made a tumblr post about it. 360/One only.

Without an explicit statement denying the possibility of future ports, I'm fully expecting at the very least a PC version some time later (and think a PS4 version is likely).

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I said come in! posted:

The move to make Rise of Tomb Raider Xbox One exclusive, really stings for me. The last game was very good and I was pretty excited about playing this one. From Crystal Dynamics and S-E's point of view, just straight up having the game paid for completely right now is a better deal then hoping retail sales will turn a profit. Which historically for S-E has not been happening.

It's not Xbox One exclusive, 360 has it too which is probably a dumb move on Microsoft's part since there's no need then to buy a new console. S-E must be happy though if this pays off its development cost.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

ImpAtom posted:

This will probably come down to semantics. Sure, Rise of the Tomb Raider is 360/One exclusive...but check out Rise of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, coming to Xbox One and PS4 Summer 2016!

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Without an explicit statement denying the possibility of future ports, I'm fully expecting at the very least a PC version some time later (and think a PS4 version is likely).

I am sticking with the idea that the eventual GOTY or "Definitive" edition will hit all platforms. This seems to be the new norm when it comes to exclusives

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'd be curious if Microsoft decides to go all out and makes Square Enix an exclusive developer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So much for a 1080p/60 Tomb Raider.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'd be curious if Microsoft decides to go all out and makes Square Enix an exclusive developer.

Square Enix is a publisher.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

So much for a 1080p/60 Tomb Raider.

I'm sure the 360 version will be 60 frames.

Can't really say that about the Xbox one though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stealthed Zombie posted:

This will probably come down to semantics. Sure, Rise of the Tomb Raider is 360/One exclusive...but check out Rise of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, coming to Xbox One and PS4 Summer 2016!

Haha, this reminds me of the press release Dynamics put out about this announcement, which basically read "if you don't want to buy an Xbox for this game, you have Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition instead." Pulled one out of the Microsoft Bad PR playbook with that one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Not even a little chance.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Steve2911 posted:

Square Enix is a publisher.

They're both since they still put out in house stuff.

ImpAtom posted:

Not even a little chance.

I just wanted to see an even bigger clusterfuck, don't crush my dreams. Imagine a 60 dollar port of the IOS Final Fantasy 6 game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The outcry if Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy went bone exclusive would be pretty hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes, there is literally no universe where Kingdom Hearts III and FFXV are an X-Box One exclusive, not in the least because even despite the PS4 underperforming in Japan, they'd like to actually sell copies to Japanese people.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been following Dying Light at all. What's the PS4 Goony goon opinion of it? I thought it was single player, but if it's co-op, it could be fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

The outcry if Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy went bone exclusive would be pretty hilarious.

I would rather this happen because I care way more about Tomb Raider then I ever will Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Got my replacement PS4 for my one that was DOA, and this one is also giving me trouble.

It booted just fine with the stock HD. I then turned it off, put in the 2TB HD, and booted into Safe Mode.

Did a re-install of the system software, and it seemed to go ok. It went through two progress bars (I think one was initializing, the other was preparing to install software?) Both got to 100%, and then it rebooted, and now it's doing exactly what it was doing before.

I'm getting a blank screen (though the TV still sees it as an input from the PS4,) and a flashing blue light on the PS4.

I thought maybe the PS4 update file was corrupted, so I used a different USB stick, re-downloaded the file and tried again...same thing (though I can still get into Safe Mode, so it's doing better than the first PS4 I had.)

What in the gently caress? Is it possible the drive I got is hosed? If so, then I'm screwed with that, because it's the external Seagate drive that is recommended in this thread, so I'm pretty sure the warranty was voided the instant I broke it open.

I guess I'll just go back to the 500 GB hard drive and say gently caress it to this whole HD upgrade fiasco.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, there is literally no universe where Kingdom Hearts III and FFXV are an X-Box One exclusive, not in the least because even despite the PS4 underperforming in Japan, they'd like to actually sell copies to Japanese people.

I thought both those series were bigger in America anyway.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I believe Kingdom Hearts is, but no, Final Fantasy is literally the top selling game in Japan when it releases.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, at this point the mainline Final Fantasy series is way too entrenched on Playstation for them to bail on it, and there's the whole Japanese pride thing. I'd put it at only slightly more likely than Nintendo making the next Mario game an Xbox-exclusive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought both those series were bigger in America anyway.

Final Fantasy is usually about 50/50 split. FFX sold slightly better in the US, FFXII and FFXIII sold better in Japan. Kingdom Hearts is closer to 50% of what it sells in the US, which isn't as big but is too big to give up sales for.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Mass Effect 1, Bioshock 1, GTA4 episodes were all total exclusives, 100% never going to appear on playstation until they did. And Ryse and Dead Rising 3 were definitely, 100% straight-up Xbone exclusives until they got PC ports.

What I'm saying is Expect to see the GOTY/definitive edition on PS4 a year/18 months after release. No-one releases true exclusives anymore unless the IP or devs are owned by the console maker.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Every single one of those songs, at least the half dozen I listened to, sounds like they have been through a lovely Boards of Canada filter/plugin. That's annoying. I love BoC, but c'mon people, they were amazing because they sounded like BoC before you could just run your poo poo through a logic plugin and magically achieve that sound. /rant off

That said, I'm looking forward to the game too. It looks absolutely bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 2m
Spoke to many people here at Xbox press conference on Tomb Raider. Official line is that the game is "exclusive on Xbox for holiday 2015."
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/499192318914998272

• Locked thread