Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

A lot of people in that HowardForum thread are saying that Koodo booths here won't activate an out-of-province plan without proof of residence, or simply won't full stop. Any ideas, anyone from Toronto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ No, all numbers quoted are pre-tax. So I'm $55.44 monthly all in for the service and couldn't be happier.

Another unexpected, but awesome benefit of this approach is the value of having an unlocked phone. I travel a fair bit, especially to the US, and I just pop in my T-Mobile SIM and pay $2 a day for unlimited everything.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Is there a way to get that Manitoba plan online or something? I don't really feel like going to a koodo store and lying to people with some bullshit story, especially as I suspect they'll have heard it before if this is a thing getting shared around on the net

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

A lot of people in that HowardForum thread are saying that Koodo booths here won't activate an out-of-province plan without proof of residence, or simply won't full stop. Any ideas, anyone from Toronto?

If you read the thread, some people have trouble at certain places, others don't. I got it first attempt in Montreal with no hassle whatsoever. There's apparently an online loophole to do it now.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

FATWOLF posted:

Is there a way to get that Manitoba plan online or something? I don't really feel like going to a koodo store and lying to people with some bullshit story, especially as I suspect they'll have heard it before if this is a thing getting shared around on the net

"I need a local Winnipeg number for work purposes"

Boom, done. Don't sweat it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well, boys, I hope this doesn't make me addicted to lying to get my way. I never really lie to anyone just on principle, but I walked into Future Shop and told the guy work was sending me to Winnipeg and a coworker told me about this plan, and now I'm back with a Koodo nano-SIM activated on that plan. $55 + $2 Visual Voicemail - 10% BYOD.

It's funny while he was on hold for the credit check, he made small talk, and I had to give this whole story about how we do SaaS but this big enterprise in Winnipeg wants to host us in-house so they're sending me there for 6mo-1yr to set it up and train them... It's funny how easy lying is.

Anyhow, regardless, I started worrying about my phone bill literally a few hours ago and now I'm back with a ridiculously good plan so you guys are saints.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Congrats! You might need to wait until your billing cycle ticks over to initiate a port, but otherwise you're golden.

For extra caution, I've set up automated billing for my account. I figure that even if Koodo closes the signup loophole, there's no real point in interfering with no-effort, zero-subsidy customers that pay every month effortlessly.

Having said that, I believe they know about it and simply permit it tacitly.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Congrats! You might need to wait until your billing cycle ticks over to initiate a port, but otherwise you're golden.

I called Rogers to do the unlock, they told me that my account will be cancelled when I initiate the port but they will still charge me next month because they need 30 days notice.

All in all, contract + unlock + 1mo unused service ~= $308, which means over the next 13 months I save about $150 and then it's pure savings from there. And my phone is unlocked. And I'm no longer on contract. This is loving awesome.

Also, dude took down my credit card when signing me up, I thought automated payment was the default? I'll have to look into that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Lodge a CCTS complaint when they charge you for the final month. That's bullshit, and they're not allowed to do it. I got out of paying it when I went through this process.

Edit: welcome to the club by the way! This is seriously as good as it gets :)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Lodge a CCTS complaint when they charge you for the final month. That's bullshit, and they're not allowed to do it. I got out of paying it when I went through this process.

How did you do it? Can you walk me through it? Rogers has my credit card on file and it doesn't look like I can remove it through MyRogers, so they're gonna charge me whether I like it or not... It'd be nice not to pay for the whole month of service I didn't use.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

How did you do it? Can you walk me through it?

Phone posting, but I'll reply later on. If you google: Rogers CCTS 30 days, that should get you started.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

How did you do it? Can you walk me through it? Rogers has my credit card on file and it doesn't look like I can remove it through MyRogers, so they're gonna charge me whether I like it or not... It'd be nice not to pay for the whole month of service I didn't use.

It's not a matter of them having your CC or not - it'll go to collections if you don't settle it properly. The point is to negate the charge through the CCTS avenue.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Thanks, just Googling it gave me the answer. Basically threaten them first, and then file a formal complaint otherwise. I still DO owe Rogers the contract cancellation fee and the unlocking fee (which is bullshit but whatever), the 30 days nonsense is really pushing it though, so it's not like I can just not pay :)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

Thanks, just Googling it gave me the answer. Basically threaten them first, and then file a formal complaint otherwise. I still DO owe Rogers the contract cancellation fee and the unlocking fee (which is bullshit but whatever), the 30 days nonsense is really pushing it though, so it's not like I can just not pay :)

Yeah. They are literally billing for something they cannot possibly deliver because the line is gone. It's outrageous even by Canadian cellular industry standards.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Godinster posted:

Their "fall promotions" will be $50 discounts on phones, almost never including the iPhone which I gather will be an issue given your avatar. The most you'll see is around a $5/month discount and likely only if you're a student.

Uh, I hope this doesn't affect the crazy Koodo plan deal, but pretty much every contract iPhone dropped by $130 today.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Lexicon posted:

If you read the thread, some people have trouble at certain places, others don't. I got it first attempt in Montreal with no hassle whatsoever. There's apparently an online loophole to do it now.

What is the online loophole process?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Going to a Future Shop or Best Buy is probably your best bet to get on the Saskatchewan or Manitoba plan. I worked at FS in Cell for 5 years before getting a job at Samsung; although policy is the same in that you can only issue a number for someone's physical address verified by a driver's license, absolutely no one will care about the rule.

Glad you got it to work Pivo.

Pivo posted:

I called Rogers to do the unlock, they told me that my account will be cancelled when I initiate the port but they will still charge me next month because they need 30 days notice.

As mentioned, no they don't. This was strictly laid out in the new wireless laws. He's either a jackass or doesn't know any better.

When I quit FS I managed to keep my 50% discount and gave my old line to my girlfriend. I legitimately live in Saskatchewan right now but I upgraded her to a Note 3 last September and kept my old $60 for 6 GB with unlimited everything and VM/CID plan and then tacked on the 50% discount. She's paying $33 a month taxes in for a Note 3, 6 gigs of data and unlimited everything on a 2 year plan. We feel European, hopefully Telus doesn't catch onto the fact that I haven't worked at FS in two years!

There's even a $70/month plan right now in SK on Bell that gives 10 gigs of data. Unbelievable to think that $10 a month more anywhere else in the country is the absolute minimum and you get one twentieth of the data.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 9, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Seriously, listen to this guy. Own-phone, plus the SK/MB plan is the best and most flexible deal that exists in Canadian wireless. Yeah, it sucks to buy an iPhone for full whack out of pocket - but when you do the amortization math, and as long as you can get on that plan - this is as good as it gets. How to get the plan (no you do not need to live in SK/MB or be restricted to numbers from there).

Plan: $55 per month less 10% for BYOD: $49.50 / month for unlimited nationwide calling, SMS/VM and 5GB LTE.
Phone: $720 / 24 months: $30 per month

$79.50 per month for an awesome plan and an awesome phone that you can turn around and sell for $300 in 2 years time (so long as you don't break it).

Isn't this just a 50 cent savings per month, ultimately?

Better plan, but still.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't this just a 50 cent savings per month, ultimately?

Better plan, but still.

Way better plan, unlocked phone, no contract - with the best, or at least most premium, phone on the market. Beyond the 2 year amortization, or with a vastly cheaper phone such as a nexus - substantial savings ahoy.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Going to try the SK/MB plan tomorrow. Anyone know of any downtown locations that won't give you much hassle? I'm not terribly worried because I'm from Saskatchewan and still have an old licence, but would rather go with the path of least resistance.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

status posted:

Going to try the SK/MB plan tomorrow. Anyone know of any downtown locations that won't give you much hassle? I'm not terribly worried because I'm from Saskatchewan and still have an old licence, but would rather go with the path of least resistance.

Seriously, just go into a national retail. Future Shop, Best Buy would be your best bet. Or one of those WOW! Mobile places since their reps are almost all quite new and likely don't know the rules, they sell Koodo unlike Wireless Wave/Etc/T-booth.

If you're getting an actual phone instead of BYOD, it'll likely be cheaper than a Koodo kiosk anyway.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FATWOLF posted:

Here's how the online method works. You go to the Koodo website and set your location as either MB or SK. You get the $55 plan and get a phone (you're required to buy a phone with the online method -- I got a HTC M8 since I have an iPhone 5S and need a nano SIM). I then set up an online account once everything was approved and added on a few extras that I wanted (call forwarding and visual voicemail). You then call Koodo when you get the phone an tell them that you want to return it as you got another phone as a gift and what to use that one instead. They'll send you a pre-paid Purolator pouch to send them the phone back in (I got mine the next day). I then called in to make sure they applied the 10% BYOD to my plan. After all that I then ported over my current 416 number and popped in the SIM. I wanted to wait until everyone was OK before porting since I didn't want any questions about having a 416 number on a MB/SK plan.

Lexicon posted:

"I need a local Winnipeg number for work purposes"

Boom, done. Don't sweat it.
"I'd be glad to help. I just need to see some sort of proof of MB or SK residence. Oh, you don't have one? Then you'll have to call and speak to a customer service rep."

I spent a weekend going to Koodo kisosks, Walmarts, Best Buys, and Future Shops. I ended up doing the online method described above because no one would help me.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 10, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ Yeah, I know people have had worse luck than others. Personally I got it first try, in June of this year. I was really just responding to that one guy's ethical hand-wringing about 'lying' to the workers.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Apologies if this is asked like every other page or something but..

We are taking a trip to Canada from the US for a little under a week, and would like to get a prepaid SIM for data - mainly google maps while driving. Don't anticipate needing more than 500MB-1GB. We will be driving to Niagara Falls and exploring Toronto. Texts would be nice but not essential at all.

We have a Verizon iPhone 5S and an AT&T iPhone 5 in our arsenal. What is the cheapest and easiest way to go about this, either something I can initiate from the US or really easily while we are in Niagara?

Thanks for your help.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Cozmosis posted:

Apologies if this is asked like every other page or something but..

We are taking a trip to Canada from the US for a little under a week, and would like to get a prepaid SIM for data - mainly google maps while driving. Don't anticipate needing more than 500MB-1GB. We will be driving to Niagara Falls and exploring Toronto. Texts would be nice but not essential at all.

We have a Verizon iPhone 5S and an AT&T iPhone 5 in our arsenal. What is the cheapest and easiest way to go about this, either something I can initiate from the US or really easily while we are in Niagara?

Thanks for your help.

http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansandboosters.shtml would meet your data/texting requirements. You'd have to drop by a store in Niagara Falls that handles Koodo like Future Shop for a sim.

Or there's 7-Eleven's SpeakOut service: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cell-phone-rates#value-plans

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No, both of their phones are locked, they're screwed.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Verizon's phones are unlocked.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Godinster posted:

As mentioned, no they don't. This was strictly laid out in the new wireless laws. He's either a jackass or doesn't know any better.

Those new rules are not retroactive. Customers who haven't changed their plans/renewed contract/ended contract since before last November are still subject to the old rules. If so, 30 days notice is still required unless you take the CCTS route.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I spent a weekend going to Koodo kisosks, Walmarts, Best Buys, and Future Shops. I ended up doing the online method described above because no one would help me.

Yeah I don't really have an ethical objection to working a loophole against the phone companies, I really just wanted to avoid this because it sounds like a mildly embarrassing huge waste of time.

Thanks for posting the online method, if I try it out I'll let you guys know. I'm on the old Rogers 6gb\60$ promo plan from a couple years back but I have to pay extra for call display and voicemail which pisses me off.

large hands fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 10, 2014

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
What should I be entering for "Equipment serial number" when porting my number to Koodo? I don't have a phone that I got through Rogers so I can't imagine I would use my phone's serial number.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

status posted:

What should I be entering for "Equipment serial number" when porting my number to Koodo? I don't have a phone that I got through Rogers so I can't imagine I would use my phone's serial number.

Leave it blank. That's what I did

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Sweet. It seems to have worked. My profile on Koodo still has the Saskatchewan number, but I can send/receive calls and texts on my 416 now. Only real problem is I can't change my address from the Saskatchewan one to my Ontario one for some reason. It says I'm not authorised :confused:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

status posted:

Sweet. It seems to have worked. My profile on Koodo still has the Saskatchewan number, but I can send/receive calls and texts on my 416 now. Only real problem is I can't change my address from the Saskatchewan one to my Ontario one for some reason. It says I'm not authorised :confused:

lol hey dude

For equipment serial number I put in my IMEI number.

Also I just created the account initially with my Ontario address... But porting the number, they say 15min, but it took me about 30 before calls/texts started coming through even though the phone was pretty sure of itself that it's on the Toronto number.

You might have to call them if you want to gently caress with your address, why the hell did you do it with a SK address man, it's possible that just before your first billing period or while your number is being ported you can't change your addy.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Pivo posted:

why the hell did you do it with a SK address man, it's possible that just before your first billing period or while your number is being ported you can't change your addy.

because he asked me for proof and I gave him my licence. It's all good now. Everything is showing up correctly on my profile. Probably just took a little while to propagate. I'll change my address after the first billing cycle...but I guess it really doesn't matter at all, since I'm getting eBills anyways.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

status posted:

because he asked me for proof and I gave him my licence. It's all good now. Everything is showing up correctly on my profile. Probably just took a little while to propagate. I'll change my address after the first billing cycle...but I guess it really doesn't matter at all, since I'm getting eBills anyways.

Welcome to the fold. We're totally going to jail mang

My CTO used to own an ISP, I'm like "yo Erik I scammed a telecom company yesterday, you're gonna love this" so I told him the story and he broke down laughing and gave me a high five

No one hates telecoms more than people in the industry

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ it's not even really a scam, just threading a hole in their carefully guarded price discrimination and geo segmentation wall :)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Looking at currently available cellphone plans is depressing, mainly regarding data. People seriously pay $70 and only have 500 megs? I'd have to seriously scale down my phone usage if I was stuck with that. :psyduck:

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
It's bad but I've never used up all my 1GB except once when my phone had a weird bug.
In the past few months the most I think I used was 260 or so mb.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

PS. Love the cabin posted:

It's bad but I've never used up all my 1GB except once when my phone had a weird bug.

That was me in 2008, when the iPhone 3G came out. I had all this data but never broke a gig. Nowadays I'm either close or over my 6 GB bucket. And I don't even tether.

(Removed apps are facebook and twitter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I pay through the nose for my six gigs and I still go over every month.