Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

Wii U is a fantastic system and really doesn't deserve all the hate it gets on the Internet. At all.

It wouldve been a fantastic system five years ago. Nintendo makes so many terrible decisions with their online shop and control restrictions it can hardly be called fantastic for people really into gaming. It IS a pretty good system for kids though, my four year old loves it and its the only way you can play mario and zelda games, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Wasn't the latest one sort of a success, yet the publisher saw it as a failure due to their unrealistic sales expectations? Or am I thinking of a different game?

Square liked to put (maybe still does) unrealistic sales expectations on the western arm of the company so that when the games don't meet those ridiculous numbers they can point to the them and use them as an excuse for the company's falling profits. Because when an international company is based in Japan, Japan is never the source of the failure.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Boy the timing on this one getting lit couldn't possibly have been worse, could it :smith:

That said, thanks for posting it, didn't know it existed. I'll have to take a look tonight, see how it compares with reality (though I can't actually say I'm looking forward to it :v:).

(edit) I can't look at steam from work, but apparently this thing is pay-what-you-want. How does Steam handle those, if at all?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

I'm sorry, did you guys miss the post about Geometry Wars 3 being a thing? Because you're not all screaming hysterically about Geometry Wars 3 being a thing.
Eh, I barely remember geometry wars galaxies, and I think there was a reason for that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) I can't look at steam from work, but apparently this thing is pay-what-you-want. How does Steam handle those, if at all?

It's a link to a website on the intro screen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rise of the Tomb Raider being exclusive is not really that big a deal, they can literally announce "Rise of the Tomb Raider: Platinum Edition" or w/e and it won't be tied to a contract

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider being exclusive is not really that big a deal, they can literally announce "Rise of the Tomb Raider: Platinum Edition" or w/e and it won't be tied to a contract

Rise of the Tomb Raider: She Has A Jacket This Time Edition.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Palpek posted:

They literally wrote it doesn't release on PS or PC (for now of course).

Yeah, but it just means it will be released six months late on PC and maybe never on PS, rather than "never ever going to release outside the Xbone."

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider: She Has A Jacket This Time Edition.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Narrated by Conan O'Brien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCe8-1dbXZc

GOTY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, but it just means it will be released six months late on PC and maybe never on PS, rather than "never ever going to release outside the Xbone."
Yeah, like Dead Space 3 was never never ever coming out on any other platform but Xbox One... and then it did

"Exclusive" is a meaningless term unless the game is literally published by Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

John Murdoch posted:

:jerkbag:

Not that I expected much from goons.

I'm not saying it's not an interesting game/novel, but come the gently caress on with that :airquote:important:airquote: bullshit. There are better, more influential and deep books (if you want to call this a game instead then I'll direct you to an ebook instead of a paperback) about the subject, non-fiction or fiction or academic. At best it's easily accessible.

I enjoyed it. It took me twenty six minutes to read through to an ending, of which there are several paths and endings. It's short and pretty cogently written.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 12, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MooCowlian posted:

Dishonoured is the pick of that lot, as long as you're okay with stealth rather than all out action.

Actually, I'll check on that. Did anyone else find the combat in that game pretty bad? Teleporting onto a roof and then jumping off and landing knife first on a dudes head was great, as was possessing half an army one at a time and walking them individually to the edge of something tall and then throwing them off, but when I pissed someone off, it stopped being any good. It felt messy and awkward, particularly towards the end when you started getting harder enemies who wouldn't just let you block and then behead them one by one. It was really satisfying trying to play stealth, and running away was kind of fun, but if I ever turned to fight it was just kind of bad. Was that just me?

I thought it was really fun. The sword fighting is obviously only intended to be used early in the game. I would wind blast a guy off a cliff, stop time and drop a razor trap into the middle of a pack, run to the next guy and backstab him, then if my stop time ran out and there were still guys around just blast them in the face or throw some explosives at them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yodzilla posted:

How does stuff like this even get made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD6AzxqHUC4

Yeah, the development had to be just a series of catastrophes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Any opinions on Global Outbreak: Doomsday edition?

It looks pretty neat, but $13 is juuuust past the edge of what I'm willing to spend on a game that "looks pretty neat" without reading some opinions of it first. Looks like it just came out yesterday, but I'm hoping someone's tried it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drifter posted:

I'm not saying it's not an interesting game/novel, but come the gently caress on with that :airquote:important:airquote: bullshit. There are better, more influential and deep books (if you want to call this a game instead then I'll direct you to an ebook instead of a paperback) about the subject, non-fiction or fiction or academic. At best it's easily accessible.

I enjoyed it. It took me twenty six minutes to read through to an ending, of which there are several paths and endings. It's short and pretty cogently written.

I don't use the term lightly; there's very few other games that I know of that I would label as important, though perhaps I'm just biased. It's attempting to be accessible to an audience that is generally insular, uncaring (or just dense), and generally hosed up even without mental illness taken into account. And amongst that potential audience, there are definitely those that are struggling with depression or know someone who is, even if they don't realize it. I don't think the available literature is necessarily going to reach that same group of people. I guess you could argue that a ""controversial"" F2P CYOA game on Steam that's going to be swept off the front page before too long might not either.

But in general, anything that can effectively communicate what depression is like, as well as warning signs, and help further destigmatize mental illness, is a good thing. It's a game that's actually trying to talk about something that's legitimately a big deal (and without resorting to histrionics like some lovely PETA flash game or something), and I think that distinguishes it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 12, 2014

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Looks like the new Tomb Raider is exclusive to xbox :smith: Unless it sells really poorly, I guess.

:allears:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I was really worried for a moment because I thought Temple of Osiris was gonna be Xbox exclusive for some reason but nope, it's the other tomb raider game which I haven't seen anything of.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - She's in a therapist's chair acting all grimdark and gothy with survivor's guilt. That was the reveal trailer.

Kaz is such a cutie-pie. :3:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Still wondering just how recent that lockup was, because two weeks ago at SDCC they had the multiplat trailer playing for TR2. That must have been a shitload of cash.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

corn in the bible posted:

I don't know why you guys told me not to buy Obscure 2, it's incredible.

Chainsaw duel with Leatherface baby

I played the first Obscure on the PS2 with a bud, how's the second game by comparison? I liked the original obscure for it's style but didn't like how jank the co-op implementation was and how startlingly fragile you were in it, like everything could instantly kill you and it got annoying late in the game.

trip report me baby

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Baron FU posted:

The Wii U is a bad console with some fantastic games. It's not a fantastic system by itself in any way.

Eh, that's splitting hairs a little bit, but whatever.

Kly posted:

It wouldve been a fantastic system five years ago. Nintendo makes so many terrible decisions with their online shop and control restrictions it can hardly be called fantastic for people really into gaming. It IS a pretty good system for kids though, my four year old loves it and its the only way you can play mario and zelda games, so...

Hey, I have a computer for the "serious" gaming. :v: I fire up the Wii U when I just want to have some fun. And it is fun. It's a fun system.

That's the only point I was trying to make.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Still wondering just how recent that lockup was, because two weeks ago at SDCC they had the multiplat trailer playing for TR2. That must have been a shitload of cash.

Like Kragger implied, if they can get a huge loving chunk of immediate cash now for their investors and quarterly books as well as a huge influx later by the inevitable release on other platforms, they'd be foolish to not do that.

Of course, they may have been strongarmed or met with a promise of long term additional support. I'd like to know what MS promised them for that (probably timed) exlusivity.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Drifter posted:

Kaz is such a cutie-pie. :3:

just to be clear, you know that's not the real kaz right?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah that's the fake twitter one. I mean it does have some pretty good one liners.

Also yeah TR is probably only a year exclusive, but uh considering TR was a "failure" (by SE that is) it being on one console for a year is not going to help the scenario get better.

edit: Nobody cares about your point about the Wii u dude, take it to the proper thread.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 12, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Awesome! posted:

just to be clear, you know that's not the real kaz right?

Yeah, I learned it was a parody account last E3, I think it was. I just...what else do I call it - "twitter account parody Kaz?"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I agree, they should port it to PC, not like it's gonna hit the charts on PS4 either anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Drifter posted:

Yeah, I learned it was a parody account last E3, I think it was. I just...what else do I call it - "twitter account parody Kaz?"

"kaz"

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

:iceburn:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That's an Important gname

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I dread the day the real Kaz Hirai complains and has the amusing twitter account shut down. :(

Once I realized it was a web-based thing I took a run through Depression Quest. Ended up eerily similar to my last family gathering, actually :smith:. I don't know about "important" or not, or if it's useful to guiding understanding or not in people who don't get it, or any of that, but I'm glad I went through it, even if I did need a little while to unwind afterward.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guys I got news from Rirse - :siren: get the money you paid for Colonial Marines back :siren:

quote:

In a surprising move regarding the Aliens Colonial Marines lawsuit, Sega has now agreed to settle the class action lawsuit against them according to Polygon at a cost of $1.25m. Of that money, a large amount will be used to pay for legal fees while $2,500 will go to the plaintiff, John Locke and the rest will be used to refund the customers who bought the game before February 13, 2013.

If approved by the court, Sega will pay $1.25 million into a settlement fund. Of that fund, $312,500 will be used to cover attorney fees for the plaintiffs, $200,000 will be used to cover the cost of administration, $2,500 will go to the plaintiff and the rest will be used to pay to those eligible customers who purchased the game. Payments to customers who fill out a three question claim form, purchased the game before Feb. 13, 2013 and are approved, will not exceed the amount paid for the game. The amount each customer receives back will be dependent on how many people submit claims. No money will be returned to Sega.

The articles points out that this will free Sega from any legal action but the developer Gearbox could still be liable depending on the plaintiffs’ actions. Sega also made it clear in the court documents that the settlement is not an admission of guilt and that they still feel they didn’t do anything wrong with regards to Aliens Colonial Marines. They essentially settled the lawsuit because they didn’t want to waste any more time or money fighting a lengthy lawsuit. The settlement isn’t quite final yet, however. The court still needs to approve the settlement which will be done on September 17th.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 12, 2014

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ciaphas posted:

I dread the day the real Kaz Hirai complains and has the amusing twitter account shut down. :(

Once I realized it was a web-based thing I took a run through Depression Quest. Ended up eerily similar to my last family gathering, actually :smith:. I don't know about "important" or not, or if it's useful to guiding understanding or not in people who don't get it, or any of that, but I'm glad I went through it, even if I did need a little while to unwind afterward.

Depression Quest starts you off with a job and a loving girlfriend. That in itself made me a little more depressed. Other than that, it kind of made me laugh just because of how familiar the situations are. It's like "heh, I been there before."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don't loving preorder games

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I paid $5 for the game and the season pass.

(It's not worth even that)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Hopefully never, because parody twitter accounts are the best.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Was my Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition meant to change name to Ultra Street Fighter 4? I assume I don't actually have any of the updated stuff?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Junkenstein posted:

Was my Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition meant to change name to Ultra Street Fighter 4? I assume I don't actually have any of the updated stuff?
No. Everyone has Ultra SF4, but you have to buy Ultra SF4 DLC to have Ultra SF4.

Capcom.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sober posted:

No. Everyone has Ultra SF4, but you have to buy Ultra SF4 DLC to have Ultra SF4.

Capcom.

What?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

They renamed the game on Steam, but you don't get access to the Ultra content/rules changes unless you buy the Ultra DLC. It's not that confusing (but it's really dumb that they don't give you the balance tweaks unless you pay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Dead Space. It was pretty enjoyable, felt really similar in story to System Shock 2, though, minus the psychopath master computer

Also a couple of chapters felt unnecessarily long and had me running back and forth and everywhere and it got a little tiring

I'm assuming Dead Space 2 cuts a lot of that bullshit out and focuses mostly on the set pieces, since people say the franchise goes more-and-more action with each iteration

• Locked thread