Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

They're just drawings man, you did this stuff when you were 3 years old!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Loving the positron explanation :D

In brighter news, hoarding emails to cover my arse paid off. The documentation/compliance/auditing guy seemed a little miffed at being sent version 7 of a document when his records show version 4. That is the sort of thing that really grinds his gears because if he doesn't know about the versions in between then all manner of shenanigans could be taking place and it'd make the auditors quite upset. "What happened to versions 5 and 6?"

2 minutes later - "here's the email I sent you in 2012 with version 5, and the one in 2013 with version 6, hope this helps :sun:"

Sometimes, hoarding seems like way too much effort, but it's satisfying when it works like that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress NewEgg.

Ordered 5 network cards yesterday afternoon. Chose next-day delivery. Fuckers haven't even shipped them yet.

They've done this to me before because I didn't check the $2.99 'express handling'. Next day means next day you fucks. I really don't like them and never understood why the hell they became so popular and have so many kids humping them.

I'D RATHER ORDER FROM TIGERDIRECT

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress NewEgg.

Ordered 5 network cards yesterday afternoon. Chose next-day delivery. Fuckers haven't even shipped them yet.

They've done this to me before because I didn't check the $2.99 'express handling'. Next day means next day you fucks. I really don't like them and never understood why the hell they became so popular and have so many kids humping them.

Order from Amazon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evol262 posted:

Order from Amazon.

I usually do. Or CDW.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress NewEgg.

I don't do next day deliveries anymore. They just never go as planned no matter which online store I go with.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GargleBlaster posted:

All these years and I've still not figured this one out: how you you answer "why did that happen? There must be some reason it happened" to something like an Office application freezing up with no clear reason?

It just... does? poo poo crashes or locks up sometimes at random, not always with a message or log that can be interpreted in any meaningful way.
It's been a fact of computing since the beginning. Especially if it has Microsoft written on it (but Apple and Linux desktop software can be just as bad with "unexpectedly quit"s and segfaults). You can say it's a buggy piece of crap, but then the angry and frustrated manager grilling you over it then demands to know why you gave them a buggy piece of crap in the first place, and you have to try and explain that there isn't really a decent alternative and even then there's no 100% guarantee it'll never ever crash or lock up and... stop asking, k?! If it's crashing and hanging with regularity then yes there may be some reason that can be identified such as faulty RAM or malware. But when it's just "it crashed once" and it's fine the other 99.9% of the time... I don't know?

Maybe if this was NASA or a nuclear submarine or something we'd have written everything ourselves, with ludicrous amounts of logging and failsafes and be able to justify and carry out an investigation and hand over a 600 page dossier and recommendations for being certain it will never happen again. But we're not NASA, and Word locking up and causing a bit of an annoyance is not quite the same as accidentally starting WW3 or blowing up a space shuttle.

I've always described programs like a factory of robots that runs automatically, exactly when it needs to. Occasionally, a robot just misses a window or runs slower than it should for one reason or another. If it's a nonessential robot, you might not notice. When it's important, it breaks everything. The only solution is to put everything on hold, reset them to their starting positions, and start it again.

People won't follow computers, but you talk about Robots and suddenly everyone imagines a room full of roombas, and it clicks

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress NewEgg.

I use Newegg only for personal stuff, but everyone else's search options for computer equipment sucks. Once I've found what I need on Newegg, if it's for work, I buy it from somewhere else.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
What the gently caress is this "scrum" bullshit and why is my team forced to do it? "Yesterday I worked on and closed help desk tickets. Today I'm going to work on and close help desk tickets. There are no roadblocks to me working on and closing help desk tickets."

I'd literally rather work for a child with cerebral palsy and Down's syndrome.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chalets the Baka posted:

What the gently caress is this "scrum" bullshit and why is my team forced to do it? "Yesterday I worked on and closed help desk tickets. Today I'm going to work on and close help desk tickets. There are no roadblocks to me working on and closing help desk tickets."

It works pretty well when you have one or more larger projects the team is working on together, not so much if everyone's doing their own tasks as in a help desk role.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

But by implementing agile framework we can enhance consumer satisfaction and synergize support team and front-end experiences. Cloud.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The fun doesn't start until you need to be ISO 9000 compliant as well as Agile.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
We deployed the Agile methodology here at my company, and it lasted until the end of the first sentence of the meeting we had to discuss the fact that we were deploying Agile.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, Scrum is stupid for a help desk. Unless they want you working on other projects and don't know that 100% of your time is taken up with help desk?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chalets the Baka posted:

I'd literally rather work for a child with cerebral palsy and Down's syndrome.

Your boss is trying to build up his/her resume.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
All of these methodologies remind me of the banner in Office Space because that's about how much value they have in the typical workplace.

I supervised at a call center where we were understaffed, underpaid and undertrained. It was a high profile project for the company with intense pressure coming from the client, a government agency. One of the only visible actions by management was a banner over the entrance that said "Quality on every call!"

Did they do anything substantive to provide that quality? No. And that's how most of these methodology implementations are.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sickening posted:

Your boss is trying to build up his/her resume.

You mean his Scrum Master and Product Owner?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also, I'm trying to implement a Kanban system to manage projects at work, so any advice (beyond "Abandon all hope ye who enter) would be appreciated.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I need to switch over to the role of a developer who is allowed to throw a temper tantrum for the latest Mac and write projects in the newest of buzzword frameworks and then quit after 6 months for a better paying job after accomplishing nothing but a 30% converted code base.

Of course the newest developer they hired must absolutely not get the previous Mac, they must have the latest (and they get it.)

Sorry I'm bitter here on my 7 year old Dell laptop running Vista. :smith:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ryzic posted:

Our only mechanical engineer left. We design a product that is a real thing made of matter. Who is going to update the drawings? Ryzic is good with computers!

Being smart and good with computers is definitely an appropriate substitute for a mechanical engineering degree

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Greg Jackson posted:

Being smart and good with computers is definitely an appropriate substitute for a mechanical engineering degree

"You took shop class in High School? You are definitely qualified!"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

Turns out that being named Qwest didn't actually have anything to do with the company being complete poo poo. Who knew?

Edit: Oh, it was acquired, not renamed. Well, whatever.

Working with Qwest was generally great, their techs would do things like call if they had questions, read notes on their paperwork, show up.
Still haven't found out where this tech actually went, no one has seen anyone from CLink recently.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Greg Jackson posted:

My brother-in-law is a ME that works on computer and network hardware. He does a lot of drawings, but also does stuff like makes sure the power requirements are met, and that the airflow through the case is sufficient for cooling.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GargleBlaster posted:

All these years and I've still not figured this one out: how you you answer "why did that happen? There must be some reason it happened" to something like an Office application freezing up with no clear reason?

I just tell people that, unfortunately, bugs are a fact of life with software and sometimes it breaks. Mostly this puts an end to dumb comments like "I just think it shouldn't do that."

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GargleBlaster posted:

Maybe if this was NASA or a nuclear submarine or something we'd have written everything ourselves, with ludicrous amounts of logging and failsafes and be able to justify and carry out an investigation and hand over a 600 page dossier and recommendations for being certain it will never happen again. But we're not NASA, and Word locking up and causing a bit of an annoyance is not quite the same as accidentally starting WW3 or blowing up a space shuttle.

Even worse when it comes to CRM's, you get the odd bitchy comment about "Why are we even using this piece of poo poo" but then is generally followed up with "The last place I worked at had a way better system where everything worked!". Please kindly gently caress off, you can't just buy off the shelf software of this scale and expect everything to be laid out ready to go, you have to cultivate this poo poo! Other companies will have had entire teams dedicated to their CRM and internal systems and probably even built it from scratch and used it over a period of years, we just have me who was dumped into it to pick up the slack when the company is only over a year old.

You just can't beat a bit of full blown panic either; "Oh no what's wrong with the phones!? Call VOIP Provider! Call ISP! Call External Tech Support! Call CISCO!
Yeah ok, next time Outlook runs a bit slow I'll be sure to give Bill Gates a holler too.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Manslaughter posted:

But by implementing agile framework we can enhance consumer satisfaction and synergize support team and front-end experiences. Butt.

Cloud to Butt just keeps on giving.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Antioch posted:

Cloud to Butt just keeps on giving.

I work in a cloud environment now. It truly is the best.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

dogstile posted:

I work in a butt environment now. It truly is the best.

I couldn't resist :sun:

poo poo pissing me off: my aversion to make a purchase decision on what kind of kitchen I want for my apartment. gently caress. One of those times where I should just send my sister to IKEA with my credit card...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GargleBlaster posted:

Sounds like a perfect time for :iiaca:.

It's like a car crash on a busy highway. If there's one perfectly maintained car traveling down a perfectly paved highway on a clear day with no wind, being operated by a driver with a perfect life who got 8 hours of sleep last night, is keeping both hands on the steering wheel and both eyes on the road, and not talking or texting on the phone or listening to the radio, there probably wouldn't be a car crash.

But you don't get that situation very often. In reality there are many cars at various states of repair, operated by drivers at various levels of attention and circumstance, on roads at various levels of quality and maintenance. Sometimes it rains, which reduces visibility and quality of the road. Sometimes squirrels or moose or homeless dart into traffic. People take their eyes off the road and hands off the wheel. Some of them are distracted because their lovers just cheated on them or they have a mountain of debt or medical problems or are just coming off a surprise double shift. Sometimes the radio plays one of those horrible car insurance or body shop commercials that feature screeching-tire-and-crash sound effects (why is this not illegal, by the way?) which fakes someone out who is not in an ideal state of mind for the road. A road that might have a pothole in it somewhere.

There are innumerable things happening on a road and only a few of the wrong ones have to come together at the right time to cause a crash. They are simply not all preventable if you want the system to remain useful. The best we can do is reduce the possibility: speed limits and other laws, driver behavior, road and vehicle maintenance.

So it is with computers. Office is but one car on the road.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
If yu think you had a bad day, just think: At least you aren't dealing with an HP tech resetting all of the configs on a 3PAR, basically destroying everything on it, for every VM and customer in a datacenter.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nitrogen posted:

If yu think you had a bad day, just think: At least you aren't dealing with an HP tech resetting all of the configs on a 3PAR, basically destroying everything on it, for every VM and customer in a datacenter.

I hope your backups are good :suicide:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

kensei posted:

Portland?
Beaverton, sadly. :shobon:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

beepsandboops posted:

Beaverton, sadly. :shobon:

You should pop on IRC, or mail me. I am in Beaverton at a data center too, but our AC was not out (that I know of).

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

kensei posted:

You should pop on IRC

Where? Coincidentally I was just thinking I need to hang out on IRC.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have two conference rooms with individual microphones. They are both used for important meetings. My team was not included in the planning despite the fact that we have to support them. They are designed such that turning the volume to a usable level causes feedback, particularly when the person controlling the levels -- always the person running the meeting instead of us, despite the fact that they have no idea what they're doing -- isn't being mindful of that issue. So invariably they start with the volume too high, feedback occurs, people look at me like there is a single god damned thing I can do about it, and then they turn it so far down that they may as well not be mic'd at all. Most of them don't talk into the mics anyway, preferring to push the arms out of the way so that they can't pick up any sound.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GargleBlaster posted:

Sounds like you need "The Bastard Operator From Hell"-style excuse server.

quote:

The cause of the problem is:
Fatal error right in front of screen

I will also use this as an opportunity to plug the goon sysadmin-approved irc chatroom, #bofh, on Synirc. Come in and vent about your users with us sometime! :v:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 13, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Once when I was in the Navy we were having problems with the HF radios due to sunspots. No one believed us.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Once when I was in the Navy we were having problems with the HF radios due to sunspots. No one believed us.

When I lived back up in Alaska we would regularly get outage warnings based on solar activity for some of our more remote sites.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

guppy posted:

We have two conference rooms with individual microphones. They are both used for important meetings. My team was not included in the planning despite the fact that we have to support them. They are designed such that turning the volume to a usable level causes feedback, particularly when the person controlling the levels -- always the person running the meeting instead of us, despite the fact that they have no idea what they're doing -- isn't being mindful of that issue. So invariably they start with the volume too high, feedback occurs, people look at me like there is a single god damned thing I can do about it, and then they turn it so far down that they may as well not be mic'd at all. Most of them don't talk into the mics anyway, preferring to push the arms out of the way so that they can't pick up any sound.

When I worked A/V, the amount of people who would swing the mic around so it was as far from them as it could get was really astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Strike Hold posted:

Where? Coincidentally I was just thinking I need to hang out on IRC.

I idle in #oregoons on synirc but there are a lot of channels. Someone can direct you to the correct sysadmin channel, I don't remember what it is.