Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vil posted:

I would nix the suggestion of Meteor Survivor Rings. The +spiritbond on them won't speed things up enough to make up for the fact that it's two fewer slots for you to get materia. Having the gear you're spiritbonding be HQ, as well as each materia melded into that gear, is an appreciable boost to spiritbonding speed. +Spiritbond is a very minor boost in comparison. Go with two crafting rings instead.

While true, I kind of hate the idea of sitting there and crafting dozens of rings and using up hundreds more wind shards in the process. :shobon: If you do have the crafting rings to use then you will get materia a bit faster though.

E: much faster if you quick craft, don't care about HQ rings, and have wind shards to burn.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Rei_ posted:

Remember that book that dropped in Molten Core just to give Hunters something to do in raid content
That was a game with 8 classes and 40 spots. We're playing a game with 9 (10 in 2.4) jobs and and 8 spots. Different design requirements. There's already some flaws in there that bards have much better utility than the other four DPS jobs, but I think they'll avoid anything that outright requires certain jobs.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Aahhhh why is the Lionsmane Cuirass PLD only, I want that poo poo for my WAR

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Nearly every class has their useless move, not every move has to be a part of your rotation to be interesting. If we go down that mindset we get the homogenization of moves that WoW has gone down for the past several expansions. I'd like each job to have a staple of semi-useless moves and feel unique vs. everything being useful but nothing being unique.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

Nearly every class has their useless move, not every move has to be a part of your rotation to be interesting. If we go down that mindset we get the homogenization of moves that WoW has gone down for the past several expansions. I'd like each job to have a staple of semi-useless moves and feel unique vs. everything being useful but nothing being unique.

When I'm playing as my war or pld I use all my skills. Same can be said for WHM and SCH.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mr. Nice! posted:

When I'm playing as my war or pld I use all my skills. Same can be said for WHM and SCH.

I use everything on my BLM, except apocatastasis. That skill has it's own special place off in the corner.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I use everything on my BLM, except apocatastasis. That skill has it's own special place off in the corner.

Really? I use Apocatastasis more often than Lethargy, now that they buffed it so it applies to all magic damage instead of three specific elements.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Kalenn Istarion posted:

A 20% magic damage cooldown is sitting in the corner? Seriously?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

They made that actually useful now, Surecast is the "put this under the stairs" spell.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

TooManyUzukis posted:

There are a few endgame things that benefit from being slowed: Dreadnoughts and Renauds off the top of my head. However, BLMs are rarely charged with handling either of those two dudes except in emergency "oh poo poo the PLD/BRD/SMN is dead" moments, so you probably won't use it much anyway!

Probably pretty nice in PvP, though.

You don't want to lethargy renauds and dreadnought are immune to slow.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Doublestep posted:

You don't want to lethargy renauds and dreadnought are immune to slow.

I've never had to deal with dreadnoughts aside from chain-stunning them, but I remember Neverlose back in the day yelling at people to lethargy, blizzard 1 and stone 1 them. Did they change something, or was Neverlose just being Neverlose?

vvv double(step) RIP me

TooManyUzukis fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 12, 2014

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

TooManyUzukis posted:

I've never had to deal with dreadnoughts aside from chain-stunning them, but I remember Neverlose back in the day yelling at people to lethargy, blizzard 1 and stone 1 them. Did they change something, or was Neverlose just being Neverlose?

Slow and Heavy are different effects, you big dummy.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

TooManyUzukis posted:

T5 adds are dread knights, thought you were talking about t4/t8

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cover has about as much utility in PvE as Feint. Bloodbath kinda just makes be feel like I'm helping the healer when I'm really not doing anything.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Is it worth going after Awareness as a war? I plan on eventually getting around to pld once I'm used to things again, but I was kicking around the idea of leveling lnc or arc first. Or both, since I enjoyed healing as a sch for what short time I played one.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Belrouze posted:

Is it worth going after Awareness as a war? I plan on eventually getting around to pld once I'm used to things again, but I was kicking around the idea of leveling lnc or arc first. Or both, since I enjoyed healing as a sch for what short time I played one.

Whoever answers this, please say no. I just got my GLD to 22 in order to get provoke and I can't take the idea of having to play that miserable class any longer...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kuvo posted:

Aahhhh why is the Lionsmane Cuirass PLD only, I want that poo poo for my WAR

This is how I feel about everything Paladin gear related.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

GEMorris posted:

Whoever answers this, please say no. I just got my GLD to 22 in order to get provoke and I can't take the idea of having to play that miserable class any longer...

I feel the same. I genuinely want to see what being a level 50 pld is like, but honestly, I'm not sure if that grass is that green on the other side. I kinda feel like why so many people stick with their plds is explained by Stockholm syndrome.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

KaneTW posted:

A 20% magic damage cooldown is sitting in the corner? Seriously?

Well poo poo, I had totally forgot / missed that they buffed the skill.

Don't mind me, I'll just go kill myself now. :suicide:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Awareness is good as every boss from Extreme Primals up can crit with auto-attacks. It's probably more effective than Second Wind or Featherfoot.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

As WAR your cross class skills are going to be something like Provoke, Convalescence, Inner Release, Flash, and one extra. That extra is probably going to be mantra (not very good), second wind (not very good), featherfoot (sort of ok except in second coil where you do not dodge anything ever), or awareness (good for tanking a shitload of mobs, better than featherfoot for coil2 on account of it actually doing something, useless in coil1 where nothing important can crit).

Also regarding Urth's Gift spiritbond farming, if you're just doing it with two or three people it seems to be better to NOT be in a party and have someone dedicated to claiming and gathering the mobs and try to let everyone else do about equal damage to them. Each person gets full credit for each mob instead of the partial credit you get in a party. Once you have enough people around it gets difficult to make sure everyone is getting kill credit while killing the mobs quickly, though.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Belrouze posted:

I feel the same. I genuinely want to see what being a level 50 pld is like, but honestly, I'm not sure if that grass is that green on the other side. I kinda feel like why so many people stick with their plds is explained by Stockholm syndrome.

Having both paladin and warrior at 50, I just don't find anything about warrior fun, aesthetically or game play wise. :colbert: Also awareness is good and you should have it, or you're not good.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Velthice posted:

Having both paladin and warrior at 50, I just don't find anything about warrior fun, aesthetically or game play wise. :colbert: Also awareness is good and you should have it, or you're not good.

Warriors get to press more than 123 for the whole fight.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Velthice posted:

Once upon a time I was in love with the self-healing they were built around and genuinely wished they'd have focused more on making that equal to the percentage based CDs of the pld. After the pld 2.0 coating, I lost a lot of love for them, but still enjoy it for the most part.

I figured I would need it, but wasn't sure how strong it really was. I'll get on with leveling that gla then!

Klades posted:

As WAR your cross class skills are going to be something like Provoke, Convalescence, Inner Release, Flash, and one extra. That extra is probably going to be mantra (not very good), second wind (not very good), featherfoot (sort of ok except in second coil where you do not dodge anything ever), or awareness (good for tanking a shitload of mobs, better than featherfoot for coil2 on account of it actually doing something, useless in coil1 where nothing important can crit).

Belzac posted:

Awareness is good as every boss from Extreme Primals up can crit with auto-attacks. It's probably more effective than Second Wind or Featherfoot.
Right now I'm slotting featherfoot, and it's pretty underwhelming. I do use second wind with berserk up, but that's probably a little too crappy to use with a CD like berserk. I'm not guilded yet, but I'd like to step into a raid of any kind with a static one day and be prepared with my additional abilities. I'll get busy on getting it then. Thanks for the help!

If any of you excaliburians see Zegreiart Belrouze loafing around, feel free to say hello or something. Sometimes found in the back alley of Ul'dah.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Belzac posted:

Warriors get to press more than 123 for the whole fight.

And yet are still completely uninteresting to me. Seriously, I prefer playing my paladin over my warrior in every fight of the game.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not bashing warriors, or saying they suck. I'm just saying that I do not enjoy playing one, and it's not unlikely that other career paladins feel the same way.

Velthice fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 12, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Warrior is about finding a combination of debuffs, buffs and enmity generating skills for each fight and party composition and timed CD use. It's pretty reactionary and fluid, it's like fighting someone with a Coke Freestyle machine.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Rei_ posted:

Warrior is about finding a combination of debuffs, buffs and enmity generating skills for each fight and party composition and timed CD use. It's pretty reactionary and fluid, it's like fighting someone with a Coke Freestyle machine.

Pretty spot on. I enjoy having a wide variety of things I can do as a war compared to the 1, 2, flash I've got going on now on my low level gla.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
Second Wind is actually decent because it allows you to heal on your own terms (even though it has a lovely 2 min CD). Without Berserk it heals for about 550, and with Berserk about 800. Combined with one (or double) IB you get more self-healing than a non-potion Thrill on a dime. It also generates a tiny bit of healing threat.

I would sooner replace Flash since it has bad threat generation, being roughly the same as an un-combo'd Butcher's Block. The only reason to use Flash is to generate AOE threat without doing damage, to save TP, or when under Pacification, so having it equipped depends on the fight.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

dangersandwich posted:

Second Wind is actually decent because it allows you to heal on your own terms (even though it has a lovely 2 min CD). Without Berserk it heals for about 550, and with Berserk about 800. Combined with one (or double) IB you get more self-healing than a non-potion Thrill on a dime. It also generates a tiny bit of healing threat.

I would sooner replace Flash since it has bad threat generation, being roughly the same as an un-combo'd Butcher's Block. The only reason to use Flash is to generate AOE threat without doing damage, to save TP, or when under Pacification, so having it equipped depends on the fight.

hahahahahah

"I would replace Flash because it's bad (lists reasons not to get rid of flash on warrior)"

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Flash maintains relevance in high-DPS fights where you need to suddenly stop doing damage to avoid pushing a phase-change too early.

Also since stun is so loving rare in high-end content you can actually use Brutal Swing as part of a Berserk rotation as a Flash followed by a Brutal Swing will fill out the Pacify timer nicely and not really cost you anything. Unless you need to save it for like Dreadknights or something.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 12, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rei_ posted:

Flash maintains relevance in high-DPS fights where you need to suddenly stop doing damage to avoid pushing a phase-change too early.

Also since stun is so loving rare in high-end content you can actually use Brutal Swing as part of a Berserk rotation as a Flash followed by a Brutal Swing will fill out the Pacify timer nicely and not really cost you anything. Unless you need to save it for like Dreadknights or something.

Warriors should be main tanking twin and not messing with dread knights at all.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mr. Nice! posted:

Warriors should be main tanking twin and not messing with dread knights at all.

Inner Beast rules 10/10 best buff

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Another point for Flash is getting aggro on Lamias while you have Voice

Warrior offtanking on T7 is fun as heck, your health bar ping pongs between full and 20% freakishly fast

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Rei_ posted:

You can fit in exactly two Flashes in one Pacification timer, and that's assuming your healer doesn't Leech/Esuna you out of it first, then it's just one Flash. That's equal to 1-2 uncombo'd BBs worth of threat, which is pitiful since you're doing full threat combos on the boss from start to finish.

Outside of specific use cases like T6 slugs etc. where you need non-damage AOE threat, Flash is objectively worse than Overpower as an AOE threat generator and you can replace it with Awareness or something.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

dangersandwich posted:

You can fit in exactly two Flashes in one Pacification timer, and that's assuming your healer doesn't Leech/Esuna you out of it first, then it's just one Flash. That's equal to 1-2 uncombo'd BBs worth of threat, which is pitiful since you're doing full threat combos on the boss from start to finish.

Outside of specific use cases like T6 slugs etc. where you need non-damage AOE threat, Flash is objectively worse than Overpower as an AOE threat generator and you can replace it with Awareness or something.

Unless your group overgears the fight so much that you aren't bothering with Storm's Path, the only reason you should be using your threat combo for the entire fight is if threat gets really close, in which case you should probably be looking for every little bit of extra threat you can, such as the threat from doing two flashes while pacified instead of doing literally nothing while pacified.

Outside of boss fights, flash is good for 4man dungeons and turn 4 since it lets you generate aoe threat without costing TP, and the only time in the game where you really need to worry about your TP is doing trash.

Also the valk table is (like almost everything else on that site now) out of date. I think they buffed Overpower's threat and I can't remember if they also buffed Flash's threat or not.

Klades fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 12, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
It's also better than any alternative you could slot. Featherfoot is so RNG heavy it's hilarious to expect it to work reliably, and Second Wind is not worth the CD without its pugilist trait [or you're a drg/brd with nothing better to slot]. Mantra is horrible for reasons I shouldn't need to go into.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In addition to the other benefits already mentioned, Flash can also be nice at the start of a pull instead of (if wrath stacks/infuriate are down) or in addition to Steel Cyclone, when you're moving in and haven't gotten your positioning settled, and the mobs are more around you than in front of you.

This goes double if for whatever reason you're tanking something low level, since you may not have Steel Cyclone yet. (Hell, you may not even have Butcher's Block yet, and that means you're in the levels where you're using Overpower more. Flash gives your TP a breather there.)

Do I use it nearly as much as Overpower or Steel Cyclone for AoE threat? No, of course not. But it's definitely got its uses, and it's a solid cross-class choice.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Anyone suggesting to replace flash should pretty much be ignored forever when it comes to tanking. It's like telling monks not to get blood for blood and invigorate.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

dangersandwich posted:

doing full threat combos on the boss from start to finish..

Ahahahaha, this is a funny joke. I'm glad you said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone suggesting to replace flash should pretty much be banned forever

• Locked thread