Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have two problems though. First it seems that some shutter speeds are not working, I know 1/1000 was broke when I got it but I think 1/500 is dead or dying now. Second, the last frame always gets cut in half, I have been loading it to the orange/red dot like the manual says but every time its off. is there some step i missed or is the camera in need of repairs?

The only question I can think of is whether the feed gearing is set to "120". Look at the top right part of the camera, there's a screw head that acts as a selector.

I think you've probably got that set properly so I think it's just time for servicing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

The only question I can think of is whether the feed gearing is set to "120". Look at the top right part of the camera, there's a screw head that acts as a selector.

I think you've probably got that set properly so I think it's just time for servicing.

Just pulled it out to look and its set to "10" guess i get to try my local camera repair out.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have two problems though. First it seems that some shutter speeds are not working, I know 1/1000 was broke when I got it but I think 1/500 is dead or dying now. Second, the last frame always gets cut in half, I have been loading it to the orange/red dot like the manual says but every time its off. is there some step i missed or is the camera in need of repairs?

http://www.djcphoto.com/index.php/pentax-6x7-shutter-problem-solved/

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

I have looked into this, contacts were clean when i opened it up but I'll give it another go this week.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Paper negatives workin' out well

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ansel autisms posted:

Paper negatives workin' out well
Yeah they are. Is this the same stuff as this?

ansel autisms posted:

First frame. Overexposed, overdeveloped, and flashed in the darkroom.
What are you using?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
[LF e/n]
I've had enough of wet plate for the moment, gotta get back to film. Every time I've had a good chunk of time to shoot I've thought "I'll shoot some plates!", and ended up tired and frustrated with not a lot to show for it at the end of the day. Today I reached a point when I failed at getting a dry collodion process to work, and realised that I should just focus on film again, rather than forcing wet plate to act like film. I'll come back to it when the subject/project calls for it.
[/LF e/n]

Having said that, anyone shooting 4x5 or larger should try an alt contact printing process or two, they're :krad:, something I'm definitely still playing around with.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
pls don't discourage me now brah you're killing my vibe

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah they are. Is this the same stuff as this?

What are you using?

1st shot is Ilford RC paper, 2nd shot is Fuji HR-U X-ray film.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

I look forward to seeing your wet plates developed using bilgewater.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

If you have space for a permanent darkroom, or the time/energy to setup/breakdown of a temporary one on site then go for it. I think I have a case of the winter blues and CBF with it until the days get longer, and have the impetus to build a decent portable darkbox.

ansel autisms posted:

1st shot is Ilford RC paper, 2nd shot is Fuji HR-U X-ray film.

Are you doing tray processing for the X-Ray film?

MrBlandAverage posted:

I look forward to seeing your wet plates developed using bilgewater.

There is a dude on the internet who uses local sea water as a major ingredient of his gelatine dry plates.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Spedman posted:

Are you doing tray processing for the X-Ray film?

Yeah, I'm developing by inspection until I either decide the x-ray film isn't worth it or I find a consistent process that I can do in daylight. It definitely does scratch but I think using only flat bottomed plastic trays and being careful during development (don't let it slide along the edges of trays, etc) minimizes scratching considerably.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I found putting a clean piece of glass or plexiglass in the bottom of the tray, and using it move the film from one tray to another really helps getting a scratch free neg. I'm thinking of making a dodgy daylight tank for 8x10 using a spray painted plastic document container and some stainless steal x-ray film hangers, I'm pretty confident is should work.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Rosary Soldier, The Istanbul Modern by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Ok so at risk of getting laughed out of here, just how bad are those cameras sold at lomography under the absolute best conditions? Like the Diana F+, which I think has a glass lens. Or any others that do. Let's say you bought professional 120 film and had it scanned professionally, is it still gonna look like poo poo? How does it compare to a 35mm p&s?

I've searched a ton of example photos and of course a lot look like junk (unless you really want that lofi look) but it's impossible to tell without knowing the type of film used and if it was scanned properly.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

Ok so at risk of getting laughed out of here, just how bad are those cameras sold at lomography under the absolute best conditions? Like the Diana F+, which I think has a glass lens. Or any others that do. Let's say you bought professional 120 film and had it scanned professionally, is it still gonna look like poo poo? How does it compare to a 35mm p&s?

I've searched a ton of example photos and of course a lot look like junk (unless you really want that lofi look) but it's impossible to tell without knowing the type of film used and if it was scanned properly.

bad, yes, worse, respectively

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Just pony up for a Yashica tlr and be infinitely happier.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I figured as much. I was mostly just curious, I swear.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

Just pony up for a Yashica tlr and be infinitely happier.

And if possible, try to pony up more for a Minolta Autocord.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Be different - get an old FSU folder, like a Moskva of some form - folder, rangefinder, sketchy Belorusian eBay sellers, what more could you ask for?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I'll actually probably save for a Pentax 6x7 but that might not be for a couple years, when I get bored of 35mm

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

Be different - get an old FSU folder, like a Moskva of some form - folder, rangefinder, sketchy Belorusian eBay sellers, what more could you ask for?

oh man I just love lens alignment issues!!!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrBlandAverage posted:

oh man I just love lens alignment issues!!!

Even better when they're Soviet alignment issues! :ussr:

No comrade, nothing is wrong with the camera. It is YOUR alignment that is suspect.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

I'll actually probably save for a Pentax 6x7 but that might not be for a couple years, when I get bored of 35mm

Buy a 6x7 camera and you'll get bored of 35mm real quick :v:

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 12, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I bought a 6x7 and I'm already bored of digital.

Not recommended if you want to have any money left.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

TheJeffers posted:

Buy a 6x7 camera and you'll get bored of 35mm real quick :v:

I love shooting 35mm in black and white and MF in colour. Whenever I try switching it up, it throws off my thought process and I end up struggling to finish rolls.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Since we started the 67 chat, should I invest in a:
1) Fuji GSW67
2) Mamiya 7
3) Fuji GSW69

I'm really thinking about that 6x9 negative

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Also pick up a gf670 and a 67 and an rz67

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

365 Nog Hogger posted:

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes

Wild EEPROM posted:

Also pick up a gf670 and a 67 and an rz67

I fully endorse these posts.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mamiya 7 with the 65mm lens. :homebrew:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Joo Chiat by alkanphel, on Flickr

Eunos by alkanphel, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

OK sweet time to sell my body a few times and I'll be set for all 3 options. Or 4-5 options.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

try it with a lime posted:

Mamiya 7 with the 65mm lens. :homebrew:

Currently rocking this. It's the best!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Testing out my awful ghetto film-to-digital rig

I scouted this out a long time ago but when I finally went to take pictures of it, someone decided to put a big dumpster in front and jackson agencies put their sign over the door :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

alkanphel posted:

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Joo Chiat by alkanphel, on Flickr

Eunos by alkanphel, on Flickr

Good stuff all round here.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Digging the Pentax 67 lifestyle.

Cart Abandonment

Bart-by Shooting

Dolores Park

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

PushingKingston posted:

Currently rocking this. It's the best!

How do you find the field of view?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ExecuDork posted:

Even better when they're Soviet alignment issues! :ussr:

No comrade, nothing is wrong with the camera. It is YOUR alignment that is suspect.

I have to ask my dad to send over the mid-format he has... CCCP stuff!

Ahhh... I miss the Union of States!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Santa is strapped posted:

How do you find the field of view?

The field of view is great for what I tend to take. I'll probably get the 80mm eventually and then the 50mm though once I can afford them. The real killer though is that 1m minimum focus distance.

• Locked thread