Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Personally, I call this a blatant abuse of powers. The idea was that if you teleported into something solid, you'd die because two bodies can't occupy the same space. You want to make me believe that there's enough empty space in the Blob's guts for both Nightcrawler AND a shark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Ashcans posted:

Can Blob turn his power on and off? If not, how did he get nipple rings? Did he find some piercing parlor with the power cosmic or something?

This is important somehow, I am sure.

Double sided tape for piercings and a sharpie for the tatoos.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Between the nipple rings and cheese doodle express it's hard to take that seriously.
I'm not sure why you would in the first place.

Neige posted:

Personally, I call this a blatant abuse of powers. The idea was that if you teleported into something solid, you'd die because two bodies can't occupy the same space. You want to make me believe that there's enough empty space in the Blob's guts for both Nightcrawler AND a shark?
It would appear there was!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Neige posted:

Doesn't Nightcrawler teleport by passing through some other dimension? Or was that just one of the cartoons? 'Cause it looked to me like he was holding open a portal inside Blob. Not that that's any better, but still.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I'm not sure why you would in the first place.

If it's a parody, it's not a great one, but without any further context, the dramatic, unexaggerated narration and the fact that it was posted in the Badass panels thread gives the idea it's meant to be taken as an awesome moment, but it's just goofy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

If it's a parody, it's not a great one, but without any further context, the dramatic, unexaggerated narration and the fact that it was posted in the Badass panels thread gives the idea it's meant to be taken as an awesome moment, but it's just goofy.
It's not parody, but there's no way to take Death By Internal Shark super seriously, either.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And now you understand why they have child-proof caps.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And I'm not saying it should be highbrow art, just that elements of it clash horribly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's one of those comic book things, where it goes so far beyond what you'd expect that you accept it. It's a semi evil Night Crawler too, right? If I remember correctly, he's from AoA and only helps out Uncanny X-Force to get revenge, and abandons them as soon as it serves his purpose So it falls under the category of bad guys being able to do more extreme poo poo with their powers than the heroes. It's a brutal version of Superman flying backwards around the globe to turn back time.

If it'd been the aforementioned teleporting grenades inside Blob's guts, it wouldn't work as well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

It's one of those comic book things, where it goes so far beyond what you'd expect that you accept it. It's a semi evil Night Crawler too, right? If I remember correctly, he's from AoA and only helps out Uncanny X-Force to get revenge, and abandons them as soon as it serves his purpose So it falls under the category of bad guys being able to do more extreme poo poo with their powers than the heroes. It's a brutal version of Superman flying backwards around the globe to turn back time.

If it'd been the aforementioned teleporting grenades inside Blob's guts, it wouldn't work as well.

Yeah, AoA Nightcrawler was literally only with X-Force so he could kill AoA Blob (who was also in 616) in retaliation for Blob killing his wife. He ditched the team mid-mission to do that shark-kill then hosed right off. Then he died in some crossover trying to get back home.

Teleporting a shark into a man is silly, but hey, it's a comic involving a man whose power is being so fat he is literally immovable so whatever, I think it strides the line between funny and cool just fine

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Uthor posted:

Sharks? Who said anything about sharks? (I did.)
Uncanny X-Force 33

The guy whose job it is to say "hey guys this is really dumb do something else" dropped the ball pretty bad on this one.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It's like they just keep trying to top the Ultimates blob.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'll always love that sequence though because that shark looks like it died and went to shark heaven.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I'll always love that sequence though because that shark looks like it died and went to shark heaven.

It did in the end :(

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It died doing what it loved.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hi I'm The Blob and my superpower is being really really fat. Take me seriously motherfuckers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

Hi I'm The Blob and my superpower is being really really fat. Take me seriously motherfuckers.

Sure, in his first appearance the Blob was explicitly introduced by Professor X saying something like, "To me, my X-Men! Cerebro has detected a mutant who could be the deadliest threat to the entire world!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, to be fair, they probably would have dawdled around if he said "To me my mutants! Cerebro has found a really, really, really fat guy!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would've been entertaining if Angel or Iceman or somebody had said, "Come off it, Xavier. Last time you said that you sent us out to fight the Vanisher." (Also true.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

zoux posted:

Oh no how will intergalactic badass Captain Marvel deal with the threat that is some sharks.

And why is she wearing flippers?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always wondered why they bothered with UNUS THE UNTOUCHABLE because, basically the dude's power was "Hey, I can't be touched by anything. Seriously, it's like a body wide force field and I totally just, have pretty much no offensive capability whatsoever", but damned if he WASN'T A MUTANT POWER THAT COULD THREATEN THE VERY FABRIC OF THE EARTH ITSELF!

I think he became a supervillain because people kept calling him Anus though. That's gotta leave a mark on you growing up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I always wondered why they bothered with UNUS THE UNTOUCHABLE because, basically the dude's power was "Hey, I can't be touched by anything. Seriously, it's like a body wide force field and I totally just, have pretty much no offensive capability whatsoever", but damned if he WASN'T A MUTANT POWER THAT COULD THREATEN THE VERY FABRIC OF THE EARTH ITSELF!

I think he became a supervillain because people kept calling him Anus though. That's gotta leave a mark on you growing up.

If I remember correct Unus could turn his power on and off at will. Being able to become invincible whenever you want is pretty goddamn powerful with even a minor amount of thought.

Also he could hit you with a baseball bat.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, kinda. It started to get the better of him until it started pushing away all the air and suffocating him.

It's a nifty power, but at the same time you can be buried alive, lobbed in space, lobbed into the ocean, poisoned, blinded, deafened, etc. Just cause something can't touch you doesn't mean you can't be hurt or killed by something else.

My point though, wasn't that it's a poo poo power or not a poo poo power, it's that it's hardly the POWER THAT COULD WRECK THE VERY SUBSTANCE OF THE PLANET that Prof. X always said about these guys.

I think at the height of his power, he was hanging out with the blob in the circus, and I think he even went on a wrestling streak for a while. Not really the world ending threat that Prof made him out to be.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Metal Loaf posted:

Sure, in his first appearance the Blob was explicitly introduced by Professor X saying something like, "To me, my X-Men! Cerebro has detected a mutant who could be the deadliest threat to the entire world!"

That day, Jean Grey was amazed to discover that when Xavier was saying "Cerebro has detected a mutant who could be the deadliest threat to the entire world", what he meant was, "I love you."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone loved and/or was creepily obsessed with Jean in early X-Men, because she was the only girl on a team of guys. One element of early Claremont that's often overlooked is that he actually referred back to the Silver Age run quite a lot (up to and including the time Cyclops convinced the Sentinels that the best way to destroy mutants was to fly into space and fight the sun), and when Xavier introduces the team to Lilandra for the first time, and Jean is there, he says something well dodgy like, "She is Lilandra, princess of the Shi'ar, and I love her as I once thought I loved you."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Ashcans posted:

Can Blob turn his power on and off? If not, how did he get nipple rings? Did he find some piercing parlor with the power cosmic or something?

This is important somehow, I am sure.

Well, like he said, nothing gets inside him unless he wants it to.

(Or: in AoA, Norrin Radd decided to settle down on Earth and run a piercing parlor. Your choice.)

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

Well, like he said, nothing gets inside him unless he wants it to.

(Or: in AoA, Norrin Radd decided to settle down on Earth and run a piercing parlor. Your choice.)

As long as I get a choice, I'm going with option two.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm sorry I posted something that was a little bit silly in a comic book forum. Here's something 100% serious to make up for it.

N.E.X.T.Wave #1

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ImpAtom posted:

If I remember correct Unus could turn his power on and off at will. Being able to become invincible whenever you want is pretty goddamn powerful with even a minor amount of thought.

Also he could hit you with a baseball bat.

So that's why police never shoot white men.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Elsa Bloodstone any good outside of Nextwave?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Shark week you say:

I heart King Shark

All from Secret Six.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked the Legion of Monsters 4-issue miniseries quite a bit.

Don't bother with her eponymous pre-Nextwave series.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Hakkesshu posted:

Elsa Bloodstone post-Nextwave : Elsa Bloodstone pre-Nextwave :: Machine Man post-Nextwave : Machine Man pre-Nextwave.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Didn't someone make him lovely again though?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, everybody who wrote him after Nextwave.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
With all the recent Marvel success, I think a self-parodying Nextmovie should totally be possible.

Yeah, that will never happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, everybody who wrote him after Nextwave.

No, he was great in Marvel Zombies 3. Then he was all "beep boop I am a robot" in all his appearances.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It boggles me how Bender-Lite is such an enlightened step up for Machine Man. Dude was great in Nextwave because everything was, taken out of that system he was just as dull but now with added sass.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Metal Loaf posted:

Isn't the Blob's power actually gravity control, and he's just really stupid?

Source may be one of those terrible Generation-X novels from the 90s (one of the times Synch was thinking about other people's powers or something)? Either that, or my brain is playing tricks on me.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Isn't the Blob's power actually gravity control, and he's just really stupid?

Someday I'll find the X-writer who decided to make every stupid power secretly an AMAZING MOLECULAR POWER that the user was too dumb to use properly, and I will end them.