Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Broken Machine posted:

yes. Their analytics showed that people replied more quickly and often to texts sent with a separate app, so the idea was to force people to move to get more business. It hasn't quite gone according to plan.

maybe because the implementation of messages in the original app was horrible? if i touch that messages icon, it should just bring it to a screen similar to the one that's in the new separate app. not have a new separate app. i also don't see how they couldn't have seen the drawback of pissing people off by putting it in a separate app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Fuckerburg

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

maybe because the implementation of messages in the original app was horrible? if i touch that messages icon, it should just bring it to a screen similar to the one that's in the new separate app. not have a new separate app. i also don't see how they couldn't have seen the drawback of pissing people off by putting it in a separate app

or the bit where it will push a notification to your phone and show the notification and a summary of the text on the old app

and have a badge icon

and then you hit messages in the app

and the app says

NOPE CANT DO MESSAGES IN THIS APP LOL

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
my guess is because the facebook app is complete garbage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
a comcast tech is here atm and hes refusing to do basically anything because i own the modem and don't rent my equipment from comcast

how is this not extortion

"yeah its a shame your 50mbit connection is only 1.5mbit. too bad you don't pay us $7 per month for your modem. real shame, that"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
also garbage: comcast

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

a comcast tech is here atm and hes refusing to do basically anything because i own the modem and don't rent my equipment from comcast

"yeah its a shame your 50mbit connection is only 1.5mbit. too bad you don't pay us $7 per month for your modem. real shame, that"

buying your own modem has always been a suckers game.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if he plugs in his fluke and poo poo works either its your modem and hes right to tell you off or its a congestion issue that wont pop up until prime time and then you're hosed

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
sorry shaggar

Beeftweeter posted:

oh also i went out and bought a completely new sb6141 to see if it was maybe a problem with my modem. nope! same loving problem and now i gotta drive all the way back to costco

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
did summore loving around with xenserver today, all the HA stuff "just works" if you have identical CPUs but it gets dodgy if if you don't. but it looks like the CPU is the only part it's picky about which is nice because one of our problems w/ vsphere is having to find motherboards with raid/ethernet that's vsphere compatible and that's waaaay less of a problem with xenserver

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

can't find out why but if you're using 2 different CPUs in a pool and the master fails, it just won't let the slave promote to master. I can do it from the command line but it won't do it automatically. but really idgaf because once we get this into production it'll be on the hardware it needs and not just my dumbass test rig made up of old workstations

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

look at this scrub and his DOCSIS 2.0 modem

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

im really glad i live in a place where if i just calmly say im going to switch isps i have them groveling at my feet and new isp reps knocking on my window with sick nasty deals

free market owns

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Egan Yardley posted:

look at this scrub and his DOCSIS 2.0 modem
not only is the 6141 is a docsis 3.0 but leasing a modem from comcast doesn't mean you'll get docsis 3.0

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lease the modem from them for a month or two until they fix their poo poo then return it and plug yours back in

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lease the modem from them for a month or two until they fix their poo poo then return it and plug yours back in
every time i've swapped a modem i had to call cocks and tell them the mac before it would work. fortunately cocks has great customer service and the whole ordeal takes 5 minutes

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
one time i leased a modem from time warner and the modem went bad

they replaced it two more times with modems that were also bad

the onsite tech said "yeah, we don't actually throw out the bad modems, we keep using them until four different customers complain"

i bought my own modem after that

also you break even in "rental fees" after a few months

lol if you rent your modem

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

last time I did a modem swap on comcast they had a quarantine thing for unregistered modems that took you to an auth page so you could punch in some credentials and automatically switch your account over to the new MAC

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
finally after 5 hours of arguing with the tech, comcast on the phone, threatening to cancel, etc.

i wasn't about to pay them more money just to find out that a leased modem would have the same loving problem. it was a line issue, the modem was completely fine (shocking)

also shaggar: leasing a modem is for absolute idiots. the sb6141 is $70 at costco; renting is $7/mo. if you have the service for a year you're already paying more than the modem costs for absolutely no reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

last time I did a modem swap on comcast they had a quarantine thing for unregistered modems that took you to an auth page so you could punch in some credentials and automatically switch your account over to the new MAC

when i lived in boston i hooked up a modem (an old sb4100 i think, i flashed the firmware on it to one where you can upload your own provisioning files to uncap it :ssh:) to the cable outlet that was in my apartment and saw that page.

if you changed the dns settings in your computer you could completely bypass it and get free internet, but it was only like 10mbps. i actually provisioned that modem myself using that page (there was a link that said something like "i'm a comcast associate") and when the comcast tech came to "install" my modem she was mad as gently caress that i did it myself and threatened to call the cops on me for some reason

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Bloody posted:

also their horrifyingly bad app design resulted in needing to rewrite portions of the android jvm at startup or something so maybe debloating it a bit would help

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/under-the-hood-dalvik-patch-for-facebook-for-android/10151345597798920

this is awesome

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

did summore loving around with xenserver today, all the HA stuff "just works" if you have identical CPUs but it gets dodgy if if you don't. but it looks like the CPU is the only part it's picky about which is nice because one of our problems w/ vsphere is having to find motherboards with raid/ethernet that's vsphere compatible and that's waaaay less of a problem with xenserver

it can use masking so if they're similar enough everything will just work too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

it can use masking so if they're similar enough everything will just work too

I tried this from the start but it just wouldn't autopromote a slave if the master failed. Didn't matter which machine was master. I could promote it manually if I ssh'd to the remaining machine though. HA-Lizard threw an error message along the lines of "this server isn't privileged to become master" despite it being the one selected by the pool to autopromote. couldn't find anyone with the same problem, I'm assuming it's just some really obscure edge case with the two computers I was using to test (they're old core2 HP desktop, one has a slightly newer CPU)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
anyone know a good place online that talks about programming the physics of an object with a force applied to it, taking into gravity into consideration, acceleration and deceleration in a 2D environment? nothing complex about the environment or the object needs to be taken into consideration. the object will just be a ball and when it hits something it explodes or i'll figure out how it will deflect if i ever need that. just real simple where something like a cannon would be shooting it out at any angle

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

finally after 5 hours of arguing with the tech, comcast on the phone, threatening to cancel, etc.

i wasn't about to pay them more money just to find out that a leased modem would have the same loving problem. it was a line issue, the modem was completely fine (shocking)

also shaggar: leasing a modem is for absolute idiots. the sb6141 is $70 at costco; renting is $7/mo. if you have the service for a year you're already paying more than the modem costs for absolutely no reason

it doesn't cost me any extra and not having to deal with it failing is worth whatever imagined savings I would get from "sticking it to the man"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

anyone know a good place online that talks about programming the physics of an object with a force applied to it, taking into gravity into consideration, acceleration and deceleration in a 2D environment? nothing complex about the environment or the object needs to be taken into consideration. the object will just be a ball and when it hits something it explodes or i'll figure out how it will deflect if i ever need that. just real simple where something like a cannon would be shooting it out at any angle

ye ah its very simple just think about the physics and then turn those maths into code

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

it doesn't cost me any extra

you can just stop there you know

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i own all my own CPE (the only equipment i rent is a cablecard for $2 a month)

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Bloody posted:

ye ah its very simple just think about the physics and then turn those maths into code

ok yeah i attempted that a little bit yesterday and it turned out okay, just not quite right

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

it doesn't cost me any extra and not having to deal with it failing is worth whatever imagined savings I would get from "sticking it to the man"

i'm not "sticking it" to comcast at all. in fact comcast would be "sticking" me with an extra $7/month for something that rarely (if ever, my 8 year old sb5101 still works perfectly) fails

btw that sb5101 was like $60 when new. i had it for 8 years so renting it from comcast would have cost me $672

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I rebuilt my xenserver pool today and now everything just works???

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol our "dba" doesn't want to run oracle node manager as a service and instead wants us to start it as a scheduled task nevermind that the oracle documentation explicitly says to not do this and we in fact already tried this once due to a lovely contractor and it turns out that scheduled tasks have a low processor/memory/io priority which makes your massive database run like dogshit because inactive pages are constantly getting paged out good job idiot really earning your money this week

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
I'm thinking about writing this thing to do translation between similar but different databases. The schema in XML which can then be used to generate tables for the data. Both data and schema are delivered via a relatively simple web service. initially my plan was to use SQL to build the tables from the XML schema, but it got to the point where I was going to have to use queries which generated dynamic SQL, which generated more dynamic SQL to build tables. I'm thinking that C# and ado/linq is probably going to be a better way to go because the code would be more straight forward, is there anything wrong with using linq? I have VS 2013 Pro and MS-SQL. I haven't done a shitload of C# and I've never used an ORM before.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

lol at cable technology

ride the light :getin:

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
I have a server 2012 vm that throws a bunch of weird errors in the windows event log when the unitrends backup box tells vcenter 5.5 to take a snapshot so it can do a backup of the VM.

See below for the errors.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2006849

Basically the fix seems to be to migrate the disks from MBR to GPT. The server has two drives on two separate arrays both of which are in the physical server.

It looks like I could take a bare metal backup of the server and restore it to GPT disks using the unitrends unit or I could drop the $140 for the server version of this partition tool http://www.disk-partition.com/compare-edition.html (server ed)

I have no problem dropping $ 140 on the tool because doing it automated is much cheaper than wasting a bunch of time. I just want to make sure that it's not something that will lead to poo poo later down the line.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
actually i can't see anywhere that would tell me that it will work right on a boot drive.

dumb poo poo.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol our "dba" doesn't want to run oracle node manager as a service and instead wants us to start it as a scheduled task nevermind that the oracle documentation explicitly says to not do this and we in fact already tried this once due to a lovely contractor and it turns out that scheduled tasks have a low processor/memory/io priority which makes your massive database run like dogshit because inactive pages are constantly getting paged out good job idiot really earning your money this week

i once had to teach a "dba" what indexes were but he was a sql server dba so i figured that explained it, i always assume a baseline level of competence with oracle dbas but maybe i'm just too optimistic about the world of enterprise computermans

pram
Jun 10, 2001

i didnt know you could install it any other way than as a service lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thats like having nginx be a cron job