Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Holdup fellas, these are 300-series Volvos we're talking about.

You have wet roundabouts and cheap tyres.

A friend at uni had this exact setup and almost span us into the wall on Coventry's illustrious ring road. He wasn't even trying to break the back end loose. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Well, let me entertain you with something not too pleasant. Sprint cars are like 1700lb and make over 1000hp. They have no clutch - they are direct drive and have no LSD. The rev in the video is the massive loss of traction created by the body pitching a tire into the air causing the motor to suddenly have much less load than before so it gains revs very quickly. You can imagine the rest.

Tony wasn't up in the dirt to throw roost, he was down on the line which is sticky.

I'm not shifting the blame, I'm just explaining what the video actually shows rather than people saying he throttled up and rammed the dude.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 10, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Safety Dance posted:

Coulda been a turbo timer to go with the rest of that nonsense.

Do real people actually use turbo timers, or is it just people with the same taste as teenage me?

If you have an oil-cooled turbo, sure!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm not shifting the blame, I'm just explaining what the video actually shows rather than people saying he throttled up and rammed the dude.

Not to mention it looks like the guy intentionally walks into Tony's line prior to getting hit. That's just dumb. Stewart has a history of being a right oval office but it doesn't really look like he was trying to crash into anyone.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, let me entertain you with something not too pleasant. Sprint cars are like 1700lb and make over 1000hp. They have no clutch - they are direct drive and have no LSD. The rev in the video is the massive loss of traction created by the body pitching a tire into the air causing the motor to suddenly have much less load than before so it gains revs very quickly. You can imagine the rest.

Tony wasn't up in the dirt to throw roost, he was down on the line which is sticky.

I know he'd never do it on purpose, and the Ward was just as much at fault as he was. I'm just saying the entire incident is terrible car stuff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Great Beer posted:

Not to mention it looks like the guy intentionally walks into Tony's line prior to getting hit. That's just dumb. Stewart has a history of being a right oval office but it doesn't really look like he was trying to crash into anyone.

Yeah, a couple of cars already nearly got him before Tony. I think it was just a really bad combination of events.

Night Danger Moose posted:

I know he'd never do it on purpose, and the Ward was just as much at fault as he was. I'm just saying the entire incident is terrible car stuff.

Agreed... more of a general blah blah blah from me than anything else.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BlackMK4 posted:

You may be correct, but he was not treating the yellow flag properly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nm posted:

Elaborate?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

A friend at uni had this exact setup and almost span us into the wall on Coventry's illustrious ring road. He wasn't even trying to break the back end loose. :catstare:
Hitting Covo "architecture" with a fast-moving ton of metal is a public service.

I've driven a few cars like that. It's hilarious when you're in the mood, less so when you're not.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

nm posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the video.

For that matter, shouldn't a pedestrian on the track be a red flag?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

I don't know what he's talking about since the incident causing the yellow happened under green. But yes, person on track is a red flag.

Mildly strange: At the last trackday I was at (motorcycle) we had a coyote run on track in the corner after the main straight and chill... nothing but a waving yellow. It was a night trackday so it was already hard to see poo poo. (wtf).

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

MetaJew posted:

I don't think anyone imagined the guy would hop out of his wrecked car and onto the track. The amount of time it had to go from yellow to red would have been fairly quick

That really is terrible car stuff btw. Very unfortunate.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Doesn't Stewart have a history of getting out of wrecked cars, standing on the side (or on the track) and gesticulating his disgust at who he wanted to blame for his wreck? I read he's even thrown his helmet at a moving car before. Well, the kid he ran over was 20 years old and likely raised watching Stewart and co. do their thang in the big leagues, so it is no wonder this is the way he reacted. Stewart is reaping what he's sown.

In the pits, but still moronic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwc8obMmv7o

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously waiting for those sponsorship dollars to come in to finish the project.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That belongs in the looks shopped but isn't topic.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

So I was looking through used Imprezas on the internet (because it's literally the cheapest option in Japan if you want a good sporty base with a turbo) and came across this one car which I thought had probably the worst aftermarket body kit that I had ever seen. Overly ostentatious design that nobody could ever take seriously or drive with any dignity and they didn't even do a good job of color matching with the body.

Unfortunately I was shortly after proved very wrong. This is not the worst aftermarket body kit that I have ever seen. This is the worst stock body kit I have ever seen. Ladies and gentlemen, the S201. :smith:

I'd like to imagine the people involved weren't allowed in the design studio again for a long while... or at least until 2007 :v:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That rear bumper gives it Cavalier rear end

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I actually really like 3rd gen Imprezas :(

But yeah, that's a hideous kit on that GC. Ick.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

More MR2 horribleness.

guy is getting torn a new rear end in a top hat on facebook right now, rightly so... now he's babbling about :downs: "there will be heat shielding/heat wrap covering it"

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

More MR2 horribleness.

guy is getting torn a new rear end in a top hat on facebook right now, rightly so... now he's babbling about :downs: "there will be heat shielding/heat wrap covering it"

:crossarms:
Jeeze. What was going thru his head? "I should really carefully cut this hole in the side of my car for this brilliant plan of mine. You know what? gently caress it, sawzall and wing it!".
Also, is it just me or is the exhaust pointing forward?

Also, while doing a image search I found this... Some things, really don't need side pipes.

Edit: Aww :( I wanted something silly.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 12, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

xzzy posted:

You have rallycross, which is even better.

I live in America these days so I have World Racing League! Grassroots endurance racing >>> rallycross, because 3 hour stints >>> sprint racing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Aurune posted:

Also, while doing a image search I found this... Some things, really don't need side pipes.

I don't know, considering some of the Volvos recently linked in the awesome car poo poo topic that may very well deserve those side pipes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Aurune posted:

Jeeze. What was going thru his head? "I should really carefully cut this hole in the side of my car for this brilliant plan of mine. You know what? gently caress it, sawzall and wing it!".

Some things do and this is one of them. Such a tidy job too.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
I've made a pact with myself that if I ever get a C3 Corvette, it's getting side pipes. No questions asked. Everyone has a little bit of redneck in them and thats how mine would show haha

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aurune posted:

...And now, EVERYONE can get horrific calf burns!

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Unfortunately, that red volvo is shopped. Did an image search to find out more about it and got this: http://forums.dieselstation.com/lofiversion/index.php?t15875.html.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'd like it better if those pipes are flat black instead of polished, but yeah side pipes are pretty rad on lots of things.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Photoshop aside. Chevy Small Blocks in Volvo 240s is a time honored tradition and is never, ever, wrong.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Does the 240 have a good chassis, or is it more a matter of being cheap and easy to modify?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Does the 240 have a good chassis, or is it more a matter of being cheap and easy to modify?

Already RWD, has a pretty good sized engine compartment, the chassis is decent and it's built like a brick. I also had a 2 door, turbo, manual 240 as my first car so it holds a special place in my car heart.

e; The only thing about it that is terrible car stuff is the loving heater core.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 12, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yes!

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

DiggityDoink posted:

Already RWD, has a pretty good sized engine compartment, the chassis is decent and it's built like a brick. I also had a 2 door, turbo, manual 240 as my first car so it holds a special place in my car heart.

e; The only thing about it that is terrible car stuff is the loving heater core.

The way I understand it, they started with a heater core and the blower and built a car around them.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I DD an 82 245 wagon. It's my resto project.

Earlier models have issues with the wiring; as in it's biodegradable. I've already replaced the engine wiring harness, and the rear wiring harness for my tailgate. Its already got the M46 manual in it and has been a solid workhorse for me for the last 2 years. I love this car.

Slap in a turbo and some sway bars and you are set for an awesome ride on the cheap. Also parts are stupid easy to find, at least for me here in the PNW.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Saw one of our quality guys leaving work in his SRT-8 today, rumbling up the road, immediately followed by one of our younger male employees in his fart-canned bright orange MG ZR. :allears:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I saw something tragic in CBC video of last week's extreme rainfall event in Burlington, Ontario.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

rocket_350 posted:

I saw something tragic in CBC video of last week's extreme rainfall event in Burlington, Ontario.

What you can't see is the big vinyl H on the hood, HONDA across the top of the windshield, and the peeling chrome tape hubcaps.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I wish they made another CRX, that didn't end up being the Insight, and wasn't over 3,000 lbs.

It'll never happen, but my first car was a CRX and a guy can dream, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Carteret posted:

I wish they made another CRX, that didn't end up being the Insight, and wasn't over 3,000 lbs.

It'll never happen, but my first car was a CRX and a guy can dream, right?

CRZ with a k-series swap?

God if only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can always hold out for the HPD supercharger!