Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

redbackground posted:

I just want to reiterate just how amazing Born Again is. A big part of the story is Matt Murdock rising above all and cementing himself as an ultimate badass (those last pages, man).

The one page where the Avengers show up is still my favorite description of Cap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
So, I've been trying to get into Wolverine comics, but the Wolverine series from a while back (where the secret society hires his bastard children) and the new max series left me cold - just didn't care for tone or the writing. Am I SOL on Wolverine solo books, or are there any really good titles I've missed?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Opopanax posted:

The one page where the Avengers show up is still my favorite description of Cap

Is that the bit where Cap decries wealth inequality in America, or am I thinking of something different? If so, I wonder what Miller thinks of it now?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Metal Loaf posted:

Is that the bit where Cap decries wealth inequality in America, or am I thinking of something different? If so, I wonder what Miller thinks of it now?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

So, I've been trying to get into Wolverine comics, but the Wolverine series from a while back (where the secret society hires his bastard children) and the new max series left me cold - just didn't care for tone or the writing. Am I SOL on Wolverine solo books, or are there any really good titles I've missed?

Jason Aaron's run was pretty good. The current Savage Wolverine is basically Marvel giving short runs to sweet artists (but out of continuity) and was enjoyable for what I've read of it.

It's not a solo title, but Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine is fun. He kinda works best when there is someone for him to bounce off of and Spider-Man fills that role perfectly.

The new Max series kinda sucks...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Have you tried the original Chris Claremont/Frank Miller 1982 miniseries?
Old Man Logan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_Logan ?

e:

irlZaphod posted:

It's Claremont and Frank Miller, not Mark Millar. I can't even fathom how horrible a Claremont/Millar Wolverine book would be. But yeah, that mini is basically one of the best solo Wolverine things.

Oops. Guess that was from thinking about both series at the same time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 8, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's Claremont and Frank Miller, not Mark Millar. I can't even fathom how horrible a Claremont/Millar Wolverine book would be. But yeah, that mini is basically one of the best solo Wolverine things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Frank Miller's gravestone is going to read Mark Millar.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is X-Files Season 10 any good, or is it terrible like the last few seasons of the show?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

I can't even fathom how horrible a Claremont/Millar Wolverine book would be.

Rape, mind control, and Sage all the way down.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Newbie here again. I was able to pick up Ghostworld, Persepolis, and a comic adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere at the library. The latter is one of my favorite books so it was fun to read it in a comic medium.

Also just got this. And my husband told me there's a comic book store in our neighboring town, so we're headed there this afternoon maybe.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

frenchnewwave posted:

Newbie here again. I was able to pick up Ghostworld, Persepolis, and a comic adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere at the library. The latter is one of my favorite books so it was fun to read it in a comic medium.

Also just got this. And my husband told me there's a comic book store in our neighboring town, so we're headed there this afternoon maybe.

You started out well :)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Top Shelf recently put Eddie Campbell's Bacchus up in digital form (there was supposed to be an omni a couple years ago but it never materialized) and I'm wondering if anyone has read it and would or would not suggest it? I think his art is fine, and of what I've read of it, sorta enjoyed Alec but found it dawdling (maybe it got more interesting later), but since that was autobiographical and I can't think of other stuff of his I've read then I'm in the dark if I want to throw down the $40 for the series.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I've just bought the first two volumes of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye on this forums general recommendation, and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm looking for some more collected volumes but I'm not sure where else to go. I've heard great things about Daredevil (I think by Waid?), as well as the Captain America/Winter Soldier stuff by Ed Brubaker, so I'd like to pick those up next.

My problem is that I have no idea where to start since there's so many omnibus/collection/volumes of the stuff out there, where should I start on those two if I want to buy them in the softback 6 or so comics per volume format? (ideally it would be the start of their runs)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fellblade posted:

I've just bought the first two volumes of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye on this forums general recommendation, and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm looking for some more collected volumes but I'm not sure where else to go. I've heard great things about Daredevil (I think by Waid?), as well as the Captain America/Winter Soldier stuff by Ed Brubaker, so I'd like to pick those up next.

My problem is that I have no idea where to start since there's so many omnibus/collection/volumes of the stuff out there, where should I start on those two if I want to buy them in the softback 6 or so comics per volume format? (ideally it would be the start of their runs)

Current Daredevil is by Waid and very good. You may want to go back and pick up the Bendis and Brubaker runs. Both are excellent, excellent reads.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fellblade posted:

Comicvine is good for listing trades in order on series pages.

Daredevil by Waid
http://www.comicvine.com/daredevil/4050-41410/ Vol.3
http://www.comicvine.com/daredevil/4050-72417/ Vol.4 relaunch

Captain America by Brubaker
http://www.comicvine.com/captain-america/4050-11499/ Vol.5
http://www.comicvine.com/captain-america-reborn/4050-26966/ Reborn miniseries (taking place before the Two Americas trade)
http://www.comicvine.com/steve-rogers-super-soldier/4050-34244/ Steve Rogers: Super Soldier
http://www.comicvine.com/captain-america-and-bucky/4050-41552/ Cap and Bucky (co-written)
http://www.comicvine.com/captain-america/4050-41245/ Vol.6 relaunch

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Heads up that Brubakers run relies heavily on knowledge of older Cap lore and lost me towards the end.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Veg posted:

Heads up that Brubakers run relies heavily on knowledge of older Cap lore and lost me towards the end.

I didn't start reading Cap until Brubaker's run and no trouble following anything.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I think Brubaker's first issue up to say Captain America: Reborn is really great stuff and definitive Cap. It loses a lot after that though his Winter Soldier stuff remains strong.

Never felt like I needed to be reading more than just the book though, especially when it delves into Bucky-Cap (the book's strong point).

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I didn't start reading Cap until Brubaker's run and no trouble following anything.

The second Cap from the 50's? What?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I dunno that's not too hard to follow.

While Cap was frozen the US put someone else in his costume so there'd always be a Captain America. Said dude went crazy.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Yeah I dunno, the explanation just felt like I was missing something major and honestly that plot was pretty lame.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Cap and Bucky of the 50s were just a retcon years ago because the Cap comics were still published after World War II (fighting Commies), but when Lee/Kirby brought Cap back in the 60s those adventures obviously didn't happen to Steve and Bucky. A later writer picked up on that and just said that it was another Super Soldier, but that he became unstable. The 50s Bucky was Jack Monroe (Nomad), who appears early on in Brubaker's run. It's kind of all explained there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Veg posted:

The second Cap from the 50's? What?

The only thing I knew about Captain America going in was that Bucky was his sidekick was one of the only characters that would never come back from the dead.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for all the info guys, it should help me find what I was looking for.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me of Adam Hughes' Ghost. Good? Not good?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tell me of Adam Hughes' Ghost. Good? Not good?
Not capital-G great, but not bad at all, either. Find the first DH Ghost omnibus cheap and go for it.

(He only illustrated the first 3 issues, fyi.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This isn't a comic, but you ever play The Secret World? I ask 'cause it's often among the best writing I've seen in games and it had no business being wasted on a drat MMO. Anything worth reading that has a setting like that? It's a modern setting with hidden magic and intrigue. Everything from New England towns grappling with the Cthulhu mythos, old witch stories and Indian legends to massive multinationals digging up ancient tombs of apostate pharaohs engaged in the cult worship of a a mind-warping black contagious ooze. Throw in secret society lore, government conspiracies, etc. for flavor.

Anything that would hit me on that kind of level? Like crazy esoteric poo poo in an otherwise grounded world. The more intrigue or skullduggery the better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Locke and Key maybe?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This isn't a comic, but you ever play The Secret World? I ask 'cause it's often among the best writing I've seen in games and it had no business being wasted on a drat MMO. Anything worth reading that has a setting like that? It's a modern setting with hidden magic and intrigue. Everything from New England towns grappling with the Cthulhu mythos, old witch stories and Indian legends to massive multinationals digging up ancient tombs of apostate pharaohs engaged in the cult worship of a a mind-warping black contagious ooze. Throw in secret society lore, government conspiracies, etc. for flavor.

Anything that would hit me on that kind of level? Like crazy esoteric poo poo in an otherwise grounded world. The more intrigue or skullduggery the better.
Maaaaaybe Global Frequency?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Both of those look really fun. I'll check 'em out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Planetary seems a lot like that, but with adventures and superheroes instead of magic and horror.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am not a comic reader, but I like the idea of reading comics.

I liked:
Guardians of the Galaxy (2008), I am in the middle of this and so far I really like the presentation of it. I also just watched the movie and liked it so it's got that going for it. I love the side interview candid frames. I really like that it's about likeable rogues, but not "gently caress you I'm hard" Wolverine, which I'm sick of seeing in movies at least.

Sin City (I've read a few of the volumes), for the writing. But I don't like how it's straddling this line of believable/unbelievable world. Give me superheroes or don't.

I did not like:
The Walking Dead, because after a while it was just about finding a new stronger enemy. Like it's Dragonball with zombies or something.

The Watchmen, because honestly it was too much reading, and not enough stuff happening. I get it, it's supposed to have great writing, but I guess I can't really appreciate it.

I am looking for:
Offbeat superheroes or Saints Row 4 style puckish rogues. Groups of friends going through unbeatable odds without getting metaphysical about it. OR I am looking for slick criminals A-Team style.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

signalnoise posted:

I am not a comic reader, but I like the idea of reading comics.

I am looking for:
Offbeat superheroes or Saints Row 4 style puckish rogues. Groups of friends going through unbeatable odds without getting metaphysical about it. OR I am looking for slick criminals A-Team style.

You definitely want:

The Losers, by Andy Diggle and Jock. A Vertigo series that inspired the underrated action movie of the same name, which came out the same summer as The A-Team and The Expendables, but got lost in the shuffle as a result. It was a good movie, though, and based on an excellent comic. There are five older, shorter trade paperbacks, or two newer, thicker ones that collect the whole series.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man, by Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber. A great crime/caper/comedy book about five of Spider-Man's lower-tier enemies working together as the Sinister Six. (There are FIVE of them.) The series has been collected in two trade paperbacks so far.

You may also like:

Villains United and Secret Six, by Gail Simone and various artists. When all of DC's villains teamed up for the big event called Infinite Crisis, six badasses decided to not join up, and made a team of their own. They're mostly antiheroes, and they were a lot of fun together. The Villains United miniseries that kicked it off to any of the subsequent Secret Six material. VU is one TPB, and Secret Six is collected in seven additional volumes.

Suicide Squad (the '80s series) by John Ostrander and various artists. A bunch of incarcerated supervillains and a few heroes who aren't quite right undertake dangerous missions for the government, knowing they'll receive suspended sentences if they survive enough of them, and they won't be mourned if they don't. Sadly, hardly any of this series was collected, but there is one TPB with the first eight issues (out of 67).

Identity Disc (I don't remember the creative team). A homage to The Usual Suspects, a mysterious criminal mastermind forces six Marvel villains (Sabretooth, Juggernaut, Sandman, Vulture, Bullseye, and fan favorite Deadpool) to team up to pull off an impossible heist. Five issues, collected into one TPB.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Anything I need to read before going into Morrison's JLA?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Superman becomes blue for a bit due to stuff happening over in his own book. Other than that, no. Morrison made sure it was starting clean.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you can find Aztek it will clear up a few things

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

signalnoise posted:

I am looking for:

Nextwave! Because it's the same balls to the wall fun that I had when playing Saint's Row.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

The Watchmen, because honestly it was too much reading, and not enough stuff happening. I get it, it's supposed to have great writing, but I guess I can't really appreciate it.
Well, that's a shame, as it is an absolutely incredible piece of work. Maybe come back to it one day. (and there's no The in the title!)

signalnoise posted:

I am looking for:
Yah, NEXTWAVE.

It has its own theme song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

rear end Catchcum posted:

Nope! It was meant as a jump-on point for new readers young and old, and to brush off the dust that had been building on top of the JL brand for years prior. GM's JLA might, MIGHT, be my all-time favorite run of comics.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's a black and white arty comic, just for fair warning, but if you haven't read From Hell you really should.