Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Time Stop -> Shapechange -> Eat Brains :smug:
I like how you can use that to kill most unkillable characters, such as Imoen in the Irenicus dungeon, Cespenar or even Arkanis Gath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Factor_VIII posted:

I like how you can use that to kill most unkillable characters, such as Imoen in the Irenicus dungeon, Cespenar or even Arkanis Gath.

It's because there are no effects that can prevent stat drain, like at all. Psionic Immunity is granted by providing immunity from like 20 separate spells, and Charname's Shapechange Weapon applies a different one.

Infinity Engine isn't coded too well!!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Has anyone ever tried relying on Shapechange's Illithid form to kill bosses such as Amelyssan or Demogorgon? If they're vulnerable to it, I imagine that say Greater Whirlwind Attack while in Illithid form would kill almost anything.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

If you manage to hit Demogorgon 10 times in a row, he is going to die anyway. The problem with Demogorgon is that he summons like a million loving things into the arena and has a zillion refreshing spell protections.

I'm sure an int drain kill would work, but if you got that to work, there are probably a bunch of other ways that would've been less stressful.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

FairGame posted:

I'm sure an int drain kill would work, but if you got that to work, there are probably a bunch of other ways that would've been less stressful.
Doesn't poison ignore spell protections? If the same applies to Int drain, then it might allow you to bypass his defenses. I'm just speculating here though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It's because there are no effects that can prevent stat drain, like at all. Psionic Immunity is granted by providing immunity from like 20 separate spells, and Charname's Shapechange Weapon applies a different one.

Infinity Engine isn't coded too well!!

And yet it's a drat sight better than the pen and paper rules it's based off of.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

Abazigal/Draconis? Those assholes love to Haste themselves, even with that DR you could have problems.

By then your barb will have Hardiness, which brings it up to 80% damage reduction. They'll still be hitting for something like 6-10 damage, probably three or four times a round, but it certainly increases your chances!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Luisfe posted:

Should've posted about this earlier, but Gamersgate has the best deal for Infinity Engine games ever.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

All of them. For 4 bucks.
Plus Temple of Elemental Evil.

So now I have all of them, what patches or mods do I undoubtedly need for the infamously buggy ToEE?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Official patches #1 and #2 (not #3, but it won't gently caress up anything) and the Circle of 8. It's split into two versions, one with "new content" and one without, it works like wesp's patch for VtM Bloodlines

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Pro Magic Weapons stops stat drain, and I think the Illithid weapon is only +2 or +3 so the immunity to weapons of that level that many ToB bosses have protects against it too.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

fong posted:

By then your barb will have Hardiness, which brings it up to 80% damage reduction. They'll still be hitting for something like 6-10 damage, probably three or four times a round, but it certainly increases your chances!

I went through my last game with a cleric/fighter, Keldorn, Sarevok, and the new monk. A TOB equipped melee team with boots of speed literally kills everything in the game in like, 3 seconds. Those 2 dragons were dead almost instantly. Same with Demogorgan. I don't even know why people bother with mages. Just wastes time pausing and going through spellbooks.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Totally agree. Probably one of the easiest runs I did was

fighter/cleric, (Flail of Ages/defender of easthaven)
Keldorn (Carsomyr)
Imoen,
Korgan (axe then FoA once he had enough pips/Crom Faeyr)
Valygar (Celestial Fury/Belm),
Haer'dalis (his sword then Angurvadal/Kundane).

very little strategy needed

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ginette Reno posted:

Scimitars are a little trickier. Drizzt has a good one to use if you're not adverse to killing a good aligned NPC (and he's also quite tough to take on). Beyond that, the only good scimitars you will find will be in Durlag's Tower which is not an area you'll be going to for a while.

You only need to kill him if you want his armour, he's pretty easy to pickpocket. Unless BGEE changed that!

Also to the guy doing IWD1 without a Rogue - you're mental.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dyaha, took out the bunch at the Twisted Rune before leaving Athkatla. Sent Jaheira with Balduran's Shield after the Beholder, sent my Assassin Charname and Valygar to gib the thief with a pair of hits, left Mazzy and Minsc to keep Shangalar busy, had Edwin summon a bunch of fodder to keep the mage and the vampire busy. Mage threw Meteor Swarm, I managed to lure the vampire up and into it to drop it. Everyone wound up dying besides Charname and Edwin, but I got it down to Shangalar. Then I used Edwin's Staff of Fire and flooded his rear end with Fire Elementals. About five of those and Charname running in and out to hit him put him down. Happy with myself.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Taear posted:

You only need to kill him if you want his armour, he's pretty easy to pickpocket. Unless BGEE changed that!

Also to the guy doing IWD1 without a Rogue - you're mental.

Finished all of the main content, currently doing how/trials of the luremaster :cool:

let's just say that my fighters have probably taken more damage from traps than creatures. Also, find traps is a pretty swell spell (seriously: with a bard, mage and druid I sometimes wonder why I bother with the other classes).

edit: realistically the game ceases to be even remotely challenging once your bard gets War Chant of Sith

kujeger fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

A fun thing is to make a barbarian dual wielding Flail of the Ages and Defender of Easthaven. Then you've got 40% physical damage reduction. Tack on the Human Flesh Armor and girdle of inertial barrier and you'll make every saving throw, take half damage from things you can't save against, and resist most effects anyway.

Other than Imprisonment bullshit, I have no idea how such a character could die.

You can add that helm that gives +50 resistance to bludgeoning damage in TOB to get that character up to 90% resist to bludgeoning :v:. At least in theory, I've never tried it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ginette Reno posted:

You can add that helm that gives +50 resistance to bludgeoning damage in TOB to get that character up to 90% resist to bludgeoning :v:. At least in theory, I've never tried it.

Yep. Makes the Marching Mountains a breeze.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So is there a legit way to kill Yxunomei in IWD without losing most of your party? Her MR was too high for her to get stuck in my web/entangle/grease trap or to be affected by any of the various debuffs I threw at her, and she tore through both my -6 AC ~70HP tanks in about 20 seconds. I ended up reloading and just kiting her/whittling her down with ranged.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fong posted:

So is there a legit way to kill Yxunomei in IWD without losing most of your party? Her MR was too high for her to get stuck in my web/entangle/grease trap or to be affected by any of the various debuffs I threw at her, and she tore through both my -6 AC ~70HP tanks in about 20 seconds. I ended up reloading and just kiting her/whittling her down with ranged.

I always just haste/roid up my melee prior to going in there and beat her to death so fast she can barely do anything. The key to this strategy is making sure to disable all the traps prior to the fight as I think at least one of those traps dispels you. The other key is to keep an eye on the yuan-ti priests/mages and hit them with interrupts before they get off any dispels or disabling spells.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Her support mobs died in my entangle/web trap just fine, I guess I should've tried just maximum damage output on her since she didn't seem to have that much HP.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

FairGame posted:

If you manage to hit Demogorgon 10 times in a row, he is going to die anyway. The problem with Demogorgon is that he summons like a million loving things into the arena and has a zillion refreshing spell protections.

Yeah, this guy is right. Demogorgon is squishy once you get past his protections. If you have two characters with the striking wands hit him with pierce magic and breach, and then have a couple warriors immediately go into greater whirlwind, he'll be dead before he can do more than summon a marilith.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So a quick check on Baldur's Gate. Specifically, how it does alignments. The character I'm wanting to play is very much a 'revolutionary man on a mission' type. Very much thinking that the ends justify the means, and that he has the right to pass judgement on everyone. He doesn't think he's evil, because he thinks he's the new paradigm.

I've asked friends more experienced with D&D, and they generally tend to gravitate towards Neutral Evil for him, with some Lawful Evil depending on how much he respects authority. I'm a bit worried about going with an evil alignment in a video game, though, because the 'evil' direction in my experience (mostly more modern RPGs) tend to be very 'moustache-twirly'. So, people who've actually played Baldur's Gate: where would you put him, knowing how the games actually treat Evil characters? He might fit something more on the Neutral spectrum, or even Chaotic Good depending on how the game's written (he could conceivably come off as 'gently caress laws, this needs to be done'),and I really don't see him as being just stereotypically evil.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cleretic posted:

So a quick check on Baldur's Gate. Specifically, how it does alignments. The character I'm wanting to play is very much a 'revolutionary man on a mission' type. Very much thinking that the ends justify the means, and that he has the right to pass judgement on everyone. He doesn't think he's evil, because he thinks he's the new paradigm.

I've asked friends more experienced with D&D, and they generally tend to gravitate towards Neutral Evil for him, with some Lawful Evil depending on how much he respects authority. I'm a bit worried about going with an evil alignment in a video game, though, because the 'evil' direction in my experience (mostly more modern RPGs) tend to be very 'moustache-twirly'. So, people who've actually played Baldur's Gate: where would you put him, knowing how the games actually treat Evil characters? He might fit something more on the Neutral spectrum, or even Chaotic Good depending on how the game's written (he could conceivably come off as 'gently caress laws, this needs to be done'),and I really don't see him as being just stereotypically evil.

Chaotic neutral? Only not the stupid version of chaotic neutral described in the game itself. Though if we're being honest, isn't every adventurer basically neutral evil in the sense that they're selfish assholes going around killing people to get better and better loot?

Also, are we about to get into a big alignment debate? Because I loving love that poo poo :allears:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

While I haven't played the game in quite some time, a quick google says http://easydamus.com/alignment.html has an unofficial but pretty thorough overview.

Short answer: it doesn't really matter gamewise, unless you choose Good while murdering random villagers. The biggest impact will be your initial reputation score (range of ~5pts, no big deal), which you can boost with donations and good deeds, or drop with bad deeds. There are some trials in the second game which can flip you to Evil if you take a selfish path, but your stuff sounds more like a non-evil alignment. The core qualifier for this stuff is: would you commit torture or harm an innocent to further your goals? If so, you aren't good. It's a flawed paradigm to begin with, but there's your clean-cut qualifier for Good or UnGood.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Chaotic neutral? Only not the stupid version of chaotic neutral described in the game itself. Though if we're being honest, isn't every adventurer basically neutral evil in the sense that they're selfish assholes going around killing people to get better and better loot?

Also, are we about to get into a big alignment debate? Because I loving love that poo poo :allears:

Neera bringing that up is why I love her character.

"Once upon a time there was a man who was born with the blood of the Lord of Murder, but overcame his heritage by wandering the countryside slaughtering gnolls, wolves, men, women, his brother..."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wolfsheim posted:

I hope not. I'm entirely understanding of the fact that alignment can be a very nuanced and fluid thing, and that a character like this could be any one of like five different alignments depending on perception and how they're played.

But I'm not exactly dealing with an unknown DM, I'm making a character for Baldur's Gate. I imagine that's a fairly known quantity, so people can probably tell me how the game itself would consider that character.

sweart gliwere posted:

The core qualifier for this stuff is: would you commit torture or harm an innocent to further your goals?

'Innocent' by society's definition, but not his own. But it seems like overall, from waht I'm gathering, alignment isn't too big a shift in any direction, so I probalby won't be screwed into playing 'off-character' by picking an incorrect alignment?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 13, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cleretic posted:

This is some metagamey stuff, but is he a cleric? Because Evil Clerics kinda suck since turn undead doesn't work as well. If you aren't a cleric, go with Lawful Evil, because I always figured that was the "follows a code, it just might not be anyone else's code" alignment.

Alignment doesn't affect much else in game-play, there's a couple decisions that will make you evil if you choose them, but it's literally only a few, there's a bunch of flat out evil poo poo you can do that doesn't change your alignment. Aside from that it just has a minor effect on cleric spells available, and whether you're vulnerable to Holy Smite or Unholy Blight, but unless you have scs installed enemies won't cast either of those spells, so you only have to worry about friendly fire.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
After playing ToEE up to the very first village, I am in awe of the ease and usability of the Infinity Engine over 3.5 D&D. Also, I still hate radial menu's. And I don't like 3.5 much either. I hope the rumoured 5th Ed games are better.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

'Innocent' by society's definition, but not his own. But it seems like overall, from waht I'm gathering, alignment isn't too big a shift in any direction, so I probalby won't be screwed into playing 'off-character' by picking an incorrect alignment?

Yeah, honestly it's a late-90s game based on rules built between 1970 and 1995. It's really not worth any worry, alignment matters very little outside of some late-game stuff involving "YOU DONE WRONG = YOU NOW EVIL" tests and unless you're a paladin or ranger you won't face any serious alignment-related penalties (don't kill societal innocents). Call it a relic of 1990s game design, or a relic of 1980s tabletop game morality. Whatever, it's a very manageable player experience and you shouldn't have difficulty. Someone neutral can do just about anything they want, it's not like any part of the game involves accepting public office or arguing legal cases. Torture is the better litmus test of those two, just base it on that and stop fretting.

Avoid killing innocents and you can pretty much do whatever you want in this game. There are few (or none?) chances where your character would consider killing a child or villager, throughout the series. You aren't going to find a morally difficult game when playing Baldur's Gate, there's no reason to get especially invested in the player character's alignment if your play-actions vaguely match its description.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh, I forgot one bit. If you're a mage, alignment affects what familiar you get. not a huge difference, since they turn pretty weak early on and become a trade off of having an immovable object in you inventory for some extra HP. Early game I think the fairy dragon you get for being Chaotic Good might be the best, since it can cast Invisibilty 10' radius once a day, which helps a lot when you run into unexpected trouble. Other notable familiars are the Cat (Chaotic Neutral) with 99% stealth, so you can scout, and (I've actually never used this one, but it sounds nice) the Quasit Chaotic Evil NPC's get who can cast Horror, a seriously under-rated low level spell.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Wow, the added companion content for Throne of Bhaal is really awful and buggy. Let's have fights occur in temporary locations that your party will be permanently teleported out of at the end of the fight, that way if one of your party members die you can easily lose all their equipment forever! Also let's make the bosses of these areas completely immune to death, because that's "fun" and "challenging". Instead we'll rely on poorly coded quest triggers to arbitrarily end the fights.

I've now had Rasaad's stupid final fight glitch out on me 3 times.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

This is some metagamey stuff, but is he a cleric? Because Evil Clerics kinda suck since turn undead doesn't work as well. If you aren't a cleric, go with Lawful Evil, because I always figured that was the "follows a code, it just might not be anyone else's code" alignment.
That can apply to any Lawful type alignment. As long as the character adheres to a set of rules, he can be lawful even if they conflict with his society's. E.g. imagine a Paladin living in a Lawful Evil society.

Skwirl posted:

Oh, I forgot one bit. If you're a mage, alignment affects what familiar you get. not a huge difference, since they turn pretty weak early on and become a trade off of having an immovable object in you inventory for some extra HP.
Lawful Evil is the worst alignment for a mage, as Imps get fewer HP than other familiars and thus give you fewer bonus HP as well. I really like Lawful Neutral, since ferrets are good pickpockets, meaning you don't need to have your Thief spend points in that skill. Plus, since that's a skill that's used in non-combat areas, you can take out and use your familiar's abilities without worrying about him getting killed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cleretic posted:

Baldur's Gate does not even remotely support the moral ambiguity you're looking for.

The Good is unambiguously good. The Evil is largely pointlessly, utterly malevolent.

Baldur's Gate is a game about the traditional Hero's Journey and only puts in a token effort at permitting the player to be Evil.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Factor_VIII posted:

That can apply to any Lawful type alignment. As long as the character adheres to a set of rules, he can be lawful even if they conflict with his society's. E.g. imagine a Paladin living in a Lawful Evil society.

For laughs I made my two tanks in IWD a paladin and a lawful evil fighter. I like to imagine they found some common ground in respect for the rule of law and became best friends :)

quote:

Lawful Evil is the worst alignment for a mage, as Imps get fewer HP than other familiars and thus give you fewer bonus HP as well. I really like Lawful Neutral, since ferrets are good pickpockets, meaning you don't need to have your Thief spend points in that skill. Plus, since that's a skill that's used in non-combat areas, you can take out and use your familiar's abilities without worrying about him getting killed.

Polymorph could be useful with the one that's 100% immune to magic, in theory anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Baldur's Gate does not even remotely support the moral ambiguity you're looking for.

The Good is unambiguously good. The Evil is largely pointlessly, utterly malevolent.

Baldur's Gate is a game about the traditional Hero's Journey and only puts in a token effort at permitting the player to be Evil.

Yeah, I figured as much, but this character's been with me a while. I might as well try to faithfully recreate him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I was kind of amused in my last game trying to poison the druids with a party consisting of Charname, Minsc, Mazzy, Jaheira, Valygar and Edwin. Whoops, looks like my party is down to Charname and Edwin.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I figured as much, but this character's been with me a while. I might as well try to faithfully recreate him.

D&D doesn't really work that way. As someone alluded to above it's very much its own thing. Build a character for Baldur's Gate; don't adapt one or you'll get frustrated at the game fighting you every step of the way.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Write a mod instead

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Write a mod instead

probate this postin' gal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Alignment is a gameplay mechanic with very minor effects. Don't fret over it, just pick one that sounds appropriate and then play your character and make the kind of choices you think your character would make. That said, these games don't really tackle moral and ethical questions all that much, so there's not a lot of nuance and depth in that regard to them. They're murderhobo simulators after all.