Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

Cross Ange has rookie staff and so did Buddy Complex. But I guess at least this time around they're not crediting a literal committee as the show's writer.

Is it a different staff or the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Different staff listings, I just meant that both Buddy Complex and Cross Ange have directors who didn't have much experience (if any) as directors. Can't really say anything about Buddy Complex's writer since he/she/they are hidden behind a committee.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe this one will turn out different then. Fingers crossed.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I think I only really enjoyed Buddy Complex for a few minutes in the final episode, when it was suggested the main character had been in a time loop the entire series, and was about to repeat that loop yet again. I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of twist. The rest of the show wasn't particularly offensive, just really cliché.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

I think I only really enjoyed Buddy Complex for a few minutes in the final episode, when it was suggested the main character had been in a time loop the entire series, and was about to repeat that loop yet again. I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of twist. The rest of the show wasn't particularly offensive, just really cliché.

It was handled decently though I couldn't shake the feeling that they came up with that because there have been a few major shows in the past few years that used that!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Oh man, a mecha show where all the pilots are scantily clad women whose character bios read like checkboxes for a harem anime cast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

With music by the Ar Tonelico songwriter. I'm certain it won't be loving awful in every way.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kanos posted:

Oh man, a mecha show where all the pilots are scantily clad women whose character bios read like checkboxes for a harem anime cast.

There doesn't seem to be a guy main character at least.

Reading the plot summery for the first time though...a member of royalty who can't use "mana"? Wasn't that the set up to another mecha show?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

WickedHate posted:

There doesn't seem to be a guy main character at least.

Reading the plot summery for the first time though...a member of royalty who can't use "mana"? Wasn't that the set up to another mecha show?

I don't know if he was royalty, but yeah, Break Blade had the same setup for its main character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Son Ryo posted:

I don't know if he was royalty, but yeah, Break Blade had the same setup for its main character.

Break Blade, that was it. I totally forget about the details and it's name but I knew that plot was familiar.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Fukuda mentioned on twitter he is actively storyboarding and directing for the show.

Also it is 2-cours.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

aers posted:

Fukuda mentioned on twitter he is actively storyboarding and directing for the show.

Also it is 2-cours.

Fukuda being involved is the only thing about it so far that really has me worried(cause SEED/SEED Destiny was awful, and he's a massive idiot even by Entertainment Industry standards), otherwise it seems overall sound from what the trailer showed

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This sounds like a good hatewatch, rather than a boring "eh maybe it'll be in SRW one day and be cool there"-watch

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Fukuda being involved is the only thing about it so far that really has me worried(cause SEED/SEED Destiny was awful, and he's a massive idiot even by Entertainment Industry standards), otherwise it seems overall sound from what the trailer showed

I dunno man. Those pilot suits are terrible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Way I see it, it all depends on the tone.

If they go in a sillier direction then that would be cool because nobody remembers Gear Fighter Dendoh much less Fukuda directing it, but that was a pretty fun show!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

ImpAtom posted:

With music by the Ar Tonelico songwriter. I'm certain it won't be loving awful in every way.

I'm not sure if you're saying the music will be the one redeeming feature of the show or not, but if it's anything like Ar Tonelico's soundtrack then it should be pretty drat good. Everyone can just listen to the soundtrack instead of watching the show.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
People would probably remember Dendoh if it actually had subs. :negative:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, Fukuda isn't awful in general, just awful at real robots or when the wife is involved.

I have a more universal hatred of Seiji Mizushima than I do of Fukuda.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Srice posted:

Way I see it, it all depends on the tone.

If they go in a sillier direction then that would be cool because nobody remembers Gear Fighter Dendoh much less Fukuda directing it, but that was a pretty fun show!

As long as we don't get a repeat of SEED's horrible Ultra-Violence, I'm sure it'll be at least somewhat watchable(it's notable that I have seen only one anime made after SEED get anywhere near as tastelessly violent, and that was Blood-C which coincidentally was also terrible, unwatchable garbage)

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

As long as we don't get a repeat of SEED's horrible Ultra-Violence, I'm sure it'll be at least somewhat watchable(it's notable that I have seen only one anime made after SEED get anywhere near as tastelessly violent, and that was Blood-C which coincidentally was also terrible, unwatchable garbage)

If you think either SEED or Destiny are more violent than Elfin Lied or School days or Mirai Nikki or any number of other actually violent anime then loving LOL good job clawshrimpy parachuse account.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
SEED has violence on par with contemporaries such as Regular Show.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Look out, Big Bird is committing Ultra-Violence~!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the emphasis is on tasteless. It's not the first time I've heard that complaint, that the few ultra violent scenes are just jarring and feel really out of place in what is essentially a soap opera (though on the other hand I guess it does fit in with how unsubtle the series is).

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I watched the show 2 years ago and remember almost no violence at all let alone of the Ultra variety. Do you have a youtube video highlighting the kinds of scenes you mean preferably set to let the bodies hit the floor?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I dunno, if we're going to complain about tasteless violence, SEED is not the first Gundam that comes to mind at all. If anything, Zeta is far higher on the scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StZDxiUIWE

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Srice posted:

I think the emphasis is on tasteless. It's not the first time I've heard that complaint, that the few ultra violent scenes are just jarring and feel really out of place in what is essentially a soap opera (though on the other hand I guess it does fit in with how unsubtle the series is).

Pretty much, that and the fact that Gundam is supposed to be at least somewhat for children makes it really stupid(seriously how did they think showing the effects of a Microwave cannon onscreen was a good idea)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty much, that and the fact that Gundam is supposed to be at least somewhat for children makes it really stupid(seriously how did they think showing the effects of a Microwave cannon onscreen was a good idea)

The microwave cannon stuff was literally the only actual "whoa" violence I think SEED had, and that was a five second scene in one episode.

I guess maybe Shinn's family dying was kind of nasty?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think the guy in the Skygrasper who gets squished by Athrun's shield and the ZAFT guy in the Blitz who gets sliced up by the anti-ship sword were both shown eating it too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

I think the guy in the Skygrasper who gets squished by Athrun's shield and the ZAFT guy in the Blitz who runs into Kira's sword
Fixed that for you.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Midjack posted:

I think the guy in the Skygrasper who gets squished by Athrun's shield and the ZAFT guy in the Blitz who gets sliced up by the anti-ship sword were both shown eating it too.

Not to defend SEED too hard, but those deaths were the triggers for Kira and Arthrun to finally go berserk on each other after spending the series up to that point half-rear end fighting each other, so it makes sense for the deaths to be a bit more shocking in comparison to other stuff.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I haven't watched any kind of mecha series since the end of 00 Gundam, recommend me something with robot fighting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I haven't watched any kind of mecha series since the end of 00 Gundam, recommend me something with robot fighting.

GunxSword.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tenzarin posted:

Gear Fighter Dendoh.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Kanos posted:

GunxSword.

I'm gonna second that. Especially if you hated Gundam Seed and Destiny.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What does that mean if I enjoyed them at the time?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

GunxSword.
Thirded, seriously.

Or the off chance you haven't seen them either Big O or Dai-Guard, but the number of people who haven't is a lot smaller these days.

Tenzarin posted:

What does that mean if I enjoyed them at the time?
Do you still like them after having thought on it?

Edit: For sheer density of robot fighting: Star Driver.

Artum fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 13, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They had some sweet rear end mecha designs, I would never re-watch them.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Then definitely GunXSword, a big part of it is a takedown of the kind of stuff SEED espouses.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's some very specific shots fired, but everything in the show is 100% coherent and incredibly good without even knowing what SEED is in the first place.

People really overplay how big the "GunxSword craps on SEED!" thing is every time the series is brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

GunXSword is a story about a grown rear end man trekking across space wild Wild West to commit heinous loving violence on the man who murdered his wife. It's really, really good and its supporting cast included Mexican GaoGaiGar.

• Locked thread