Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Basic rules updated.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What changed?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gort posted:

What changed?

Well Potent cantrip is no longer useless, Gods and factions have been added. Also we have a 2nd pdf for DM's that have Monsters and Magic Items and maybe DM advice. (Have not read through it yet so I don't know.)

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Potent cantrip is no longer useless,

Phew, thank gently caress! They realized their mistake and buffed the wizard.

Now all is well and NEXT is perfect.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I really wish they would stop alphabetising lists of stuff and start making them by level/CR instead.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Skyelan posted:

Damage on a miss! :argh:

Oh wait, its a Wizard, carry on.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Ixjuvin posted:

That sphinx's roar would totally ruin an army of skeletons.

If the Sphinx wins initiative (against everything else, let's be generous) and roars, the Wizard casts Otto's Irresistible Dance to cancel out the Disadvantage and commands his skeletons to shoot it.

42 Skeletons will, on average, kill it in one round.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Do summoned skeletons count as magic weapons though?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Kai Tave posted:

And looking at that spell list you know that some of those spells are on there simply because whoever designed that sphinx had to come up with a way for it to, say, be fluent in all languages (tongues) but just couldn't make the conceptual leap necessary to simply say (in naturalistic language no less) "Sphinxes are fluent in all languages."

This way, when my party walks into its lair and it casts Tongues to tell us its riddles, I can Counterspell its attempt to cast Tongues and smirk smugly as it roars in frustration :smugwizard:

Kai Tave posted:

Do summoned skeletons count as magic weapons though?

Nope, woops. 84 Skeletons.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

P.d0t posted:

Emilio Estevez in "The Breakfast Club" disagrees with you. :colbert:

He's one of the nice ones. He gets to be a Paladin.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

ManMythLegend posted:

He's one of the nice ones. He gets to be a Paladin.

I'm down with this.
:cool::respek::hist101:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Moinkmaster posted:

Damage on a miss! :argh:

Oh wait, its a Wizard, carry on.

They don't have damage on a miss. They just have two cantrips that can actually take advantage of the effect.

Skyelan posted:

Not really a buff they just made it so the power actually does something by adding two more spells.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Are you guys still talking about skeletons?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Recycle Bin posted:

DnD 5e: Still Talking About Skeletons

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Mendrian posted:

DnD 5e: Still Talking About Skeletons

It's skeletons all the way down.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Recycle Bin posted:

A Necromancer's Animate Dead gets you 2 Skeletons at level 3 and 2 more for each spell level above that when cast as a higher level spell, and you have control of them for 24 hours. You can also cast Animate Dead before your control lapses to 'refresh' your control of 4 + 2*level-above-3 Skeletons.

By spending your spells to summon Skeletons, taking a long rest and then spending your recovered spells to refresh your existing Skeletons and summon more with any remaining slots, you can work your way up to controlling as many as your spell slots will allow at the refresh ratio rather than the summon ratio.

A Necromancer can therefore summon or control up to the following number of Skeletons at each level:

That's a lot of Skeletons, and each one can shoot their shortbow at +4 for 1d6+2+Prof damage. That's not much individually, as we can see from the chart of Skeleton damage per shot by level and opponent AC below, but when we're dealing with large numbers, it quickly adds up:

If you give them Advantage, (for instance, with Otto's Irresistible Dance, which does not allow a save) it adds up even faster:

Let's look at the Adult Blue Dragon from the Hoard of the Dragon Queen. It's worth 15,000 XP and has 225 HP. It's a Medium encounter for a party of 5 level 16 PCs per the just-updated encounter guidelines:

With a +6 Proficiency bonus, it takes 62 Skeletons to kill the Adult Blue Dragon in one round on average. If you grant them Advantage it takes 36 Skeletons.

You can kill the CR16 Adult Blue Dragon in one round, on average, starting at level 13, when you're able to summon 44 slightly weaker Skeletons while still leaving a level 6 slot free for Otto's Irresistible Dance.

This is with no cheese - not cast/rest/control/repeat, not cast/rest/cast. Just one day's spell allowance, straight up.

Speaking of cast/rest/cast, I haven't gone into casting all your spells to summon Skeletons, then resting for 8 hours and casting them all again for more, (which obviously doubles the numbers above) but you get the idea.

In summary; summoned Skeletons bust the action economy wide open and do obscene damage in large groups, which you can begin to create at surprisingly low levels. The 5e Necromancer is ridiculously broken with Animate Dead in its current state.

Currently Smoking: Skeletons

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 12, 2014

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not really a buff they just made it so the power actually does something by adding two more spells.

Ohhhh, so they only took a useless power and improved it to be more functional?

You're right, that's totally different from a buff, my mistake.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm eagerly awaiting the first big 3rd party Next campaign setting that takes the Animate Dead thing to its verisimilitudinal extreme. They could call it Boned Lands or something and it's the fantasy game you know and love but with a twist. The twist is skeletons. Skeleton workers, skeleton soldiers, an entirely skeleton economy. Thirty pages of new skeleton-focused spells, 15 skeletal magic items, new backgrounds include Bonelord and Cleromancer.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the first big 3rd party Next campaign setting that takes the Animate Dead thing to its verisimilitudinal extreme. They could call it Boned Lands or something and it's the fantasy game you know and love but with a twist. The twist is skeletons. Skeleton workers, skeleton soldiers, an entirely skeleton economy. Thirty pages of new skeleton-focused spells, 15 skeletal magic items, new backgrounds include Bonelord and Cleromancer.

I'm waiting for the themed action figures, the skeleton squad to be honest.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
Giving them advantage doesn't ensure that they have advantage; it just ensures that they don't have disadvantage. If something can impose disadvantage on their rolls, that just balances out. Irresistible dance is a 6th level spell, so if you're casting it, you should be at least one spell down from your nominal cap of skeletons. Also it's a 6th level spell with a 30' range, and the dragon's got pretty decent senses, including blindsight to 60'.

It is not immediately obvious to me that the skeletons automatically have shortbows, but let's say for the sake of argument that the spell just sort of automatically gives them equipment, so they have shortbows and at least some arrows. I think you're right to use the shortbows, otherwise there's no way to get all the skeletons into melee reasonably.

All that said: Yeah, I agree that it's overpowered if you stipulate to all the freebies.

But I've never seen a D&D that wasn't insanely breakable, except maybe 4e, and 4e lost a lot of other things which a lot of players valued and enjoyed, so it's not an automatic win to go in that direction. I love Pathfinder, and basically every week I mention a new way I found to break it. Couple weeks back, I said "hey, I found a thing in the rules", and our GM said "before I gamed with you people, I didn't know what fear was." But... I don't actually try to do that crap, because *it wouldn't be fun*. Even if it's rules-as-written.

I guess I'm more interested in how the game plays when I'm playing with people who are assuming a good-faith effort to have a fun game and who will politely disregard a possible exploit in order to keep the game fun than I am in whether it can be broken, because the observation that it can be broken has no effect at all on my gameplay. I mean, back when I was a kid and trying stuff that I've never seen outside of preteens playing D&D and the Intercontinental Union of Disgusting Characters, sure, it affected me. It was AWESOME! Sign me up for mugging a centaur for 4 million XP, sure.

But since then? No effect at all on actual gameplay. Pun-pun? Locate City nuke? Great stuff to talk about while unboxing the pizza.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A wizard saunters towards the dragon. The dragon backs away hissing, hackles raised. It knows that if it lets that guy get within thirty feet, it's done for!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
A wizard can breathe fire more often than a red dragon...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Are there any other spells that pull the "No save against the effect, but if you spend an action, you might save against it" that Otto's does?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

seebs posted:

Giving them advantage doesn't ensure that they have advantage; it just ensures that they don't have disadvantage. If something can impose disadvantage on their rolls, that just balances out.
I included numbers with and without Advantage.

seebs posted:

Irresistible dance is a 6th level spell, so if you're casting it, you should be at least one spell down from your nominal cap of skeletons.
I accounted for this.

seebs posted:

Also it's a 6th level spell with a 30' range, and the dragon's got pretty decent senses, including blindsight to 60'.
I'm not trying to surprise it. With regard to range, it has one use of its breath weapon and then has to wait for it to recharge before it can do anything but melee.

seebs posted:

It is not immediately obvious to me that the skeletons automatically have shortbows, but let's say for the sake of argument that the spell just sort of automatically gives them equipment, so they have shortbows and at least some arrows.
I'm using the stat block straight out of the book. If they don't come with shortbows, I will give them all light crossbows, which are d8 damage instead of d6.

seebs posted:

All that said: Yeah, I agree that it's overpowered if you stipulate to all the freebies.
No freebies. Also, hallelujah.

seebs posted:

But I've never seen a D&D that wasn't insanely breakable, except maybe 4e, and 4e lost a lot of other things which a lot of players valued and enjoyed, so it's not an automatic win to go in that direction. I love Pathfinder, and basically every week I mention a new way I found to break it. Couple weeks back, I said "hey, I found a thing in the rules", and our GM said "before I gamed with you people, I didn't know what fear was." But... I don't actually try to do that crap, because *it wouldn't be fun*. Even if it's rules-as-written.

I guess I'm more interested in how the game plays when I'm playing with people who are assuming a good-faith effort to have a fun game and who will politely disregard a possible exploit in order to keep the game fun than I am in whether it can be broken, because the observation that it can be broken has no effect at all on my gameplay. I mean, back when I was a kid and trying stuff that I've never seen outside of preteens playing D&D and the Intercontinental Union of Disgusting Characters, sure, it affected me. It was AWESOME! Sign me up for mugging a centaur for 4 million XP, sure.

But since then? No effect at all on actual gameplay. Pun-pun? Locate City nuke? Great stuff to talk about while unboxing the pizza.
This is not an Pun-Pun or Locate City Nuke. It's not some obscure combo of feats and bonuses and magic items and divine boons pulled from a dozen splatbooks and stuck together in a maybe-not-strictly-rules-legal way.

It's a Necromancer casting Animate Dead.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 12, 2014

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

seebs posted:

Giving them advantage doesn't ensure that they have advantage; it just ensures that they don't have disadvantage. If something can impose disadvantage on their rolls, that just balances out. Irresistible dance is a 6th level spell, so if you're casting it, you should be at least one spell down from your nominal cap of skeletons. Also it's a 6th level spell with a 30' range, and the dragon's got pretty decent senses, including blindsight to 60'.

It is not immediately obvious to me that the skeletons automatically have shortbows, but let's say for the sake of argument that the spell just sort of automatically gives them equipment, so they have shortbows and at least some arrows. I think you're right to use the shortbows, otherwise there's no way to get all the skeletons into melee reasonably.

I'll repeat again:

I can put a massive dent in a dragon with 5 spells 4 to summon skeletons, if I used 8 spells total I could 1 round it before the dragon could even hope to put disadvantage on me or my skeleton bro's

Just to clarify that is 8 spells of my 18 (plus 16 spell levels of arcane recovery) and that dragon is dead or terrified of me apparently, and at level 16 buying 44 shortbows or however many isn't exactly a big expense?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm glad that Otto's Irresistible Dance is proving to be such a haymaker in scenarios like these because it really cleanly illustrates the perils of not bothering to have a consistent task resolution mechanic.

The Battlemaster Fighter always inflicts maneuver effects the same way: first it hits you, then it makes you roll a save, and if you fail your save you're tripped or taunted or whatever.

The wizard sometimes makes attack rolls, sometimes asks you to roll saves, and sometimes just automatically imposes random bullshit that it's then your problem to deal with, and indeed has a huge list of powers any one of which might feature any one of these attack resolution methods or some stranger one. So, your enemy's got high AC? Force a save. Enemy has good saves? Use something that ignores saves. Enemy is a priori untargetable by effects? Use an untargeted AoE sweeper. Etc, etc.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

seebs posted:

I guess I'm more interested in how the game plays when I'm playing with people who are assuming a good-faith effort to have a fun game and who will politely disregard a possible exploit in order to keep the game fun than I am in whether it can be broken, because the observation that it can be broken has no effect at all on my gameplay.

This is basically "bug vs. feature" chat.
If poo poo is in the game, you shouldn't have to NOT use it; that means it's bad design.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

seebs posted:

But... I don't actually try to do that crap, because *it wouldn't be fun*. Even if it's rules-as-written.

It is kinda amazing that as page after page of skeletontalk uncovers more and more inane broken crap just by looking at the rules as written, we always get back to square one with people pulling the "well, not at my table :smug:" bullshit.

Thank you for your contribution, I guess?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I like the idea that brokenness isn't important to a game, it just so happens that a bunch of people flipped out over the one edition of D&D that wasn't a patchwork mess of bugs and exploits and dumb broken poo poo because of, y'know, other stuff that totally had nothing to do with the fact that wizards were no longer the supreme choice for cool roleplayers with well-honed player skill, no really guys.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

seebs posted:

What are you even arguing about? You agree it's overpowered! If it's broken, it should be fixed, right?

quote:

tricks like Pun-Pun and Locate City Nuke require chains of feats, spells, class and/or racial abilities, and the occasional dubious rules interpretation, in order to function. The skeletons require you to use a single spell exactly as it's intended to be used, multiple times.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean saying the 4E rules weren't in any way broken or exploitable is pretty dumb when the errata is *insert page count here because it is apparently broken/no longer available on their new and improved website* pages long and poo poo is p silly and it's also p silly both that the rules as written allow someone to summon 40 skeletons and royally own a dragon and also that any GM would be like "well, that's what the rules say, so you the wizard are allowed to summon 40 skeletons and roll 40 individual attack rolls for them and kill the dragon while the fighters in the party twiddle their thumbs" b/c I guess it'd be unfair to them otherwise or something???

Everything is silly, except the people who wrote the 5E rules got paid to be that way, so they're bigger shitheads, imo. Thank you.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Play it out.

The wizard needs to get within 30ft of the dragon to OID it. It has frightful presence, which stops approaches, and 22 passive perception. 36/62 skeletons and the wizard all need to beat it in initiative along with the sneaky wizard, because otherwise it'll legendary action during the wizard's turn (we're assuming they win initiative) legendary resist during its turn, refreshing its legendary actions, then legendary action again at the end of the first skeleton's turn. That'll let it fly 40ft up to the wizard and their skeletons, tail attack them and force a concentration save, then wing attack and tail attack again after the first skeleton goes. Wing attack hits everything within 10ft of the dragon, which is a huge flier, so it'll hit 35ft by 35ft, a large amount of the 60ft radius space the skeletons need to be in to respond to the necromancer's orders.

If the dragon actually gets a turn, it can breath and burrow. This encounter sounds pretty cool actually.

They'd need to cast a lot more spells to have a shot at soloing the dragon, I think. The assumptions aren't really practical.

I'm pretty sure this exercise really just says "how much damage can you deal in two turns?" and one answer is "well if I blow literally all my spells, this many." What would a balanced party be able to do with the same setup? They could probably one shot it too. If I were concerned about balance, I'd say even though it's hard to imagine setting up a free OID, it indeed ought to be nerfed to require an initial save, even with a penalty or something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
4E had stuff that was broken but it was "broken" in the sense that "the Ranger can kill Orcus in one round! If he totally gears his character build towards that goal and also everybody else in the party helps buff him to make sure his one trick goes off without a hitch." Broken in 4E is things like "with this combination of feats and gear and abilities I can charge every round really hard."

Broken in 4E isn't "I summon a skeleton army and then rest for 8 hours to get my spells back, ho hum."

Also Pun-Pun isn't really the problem with 3E, Pun-Pun is a dumb joke. You can trivially break 3E by writing "Wizard" on your sheet and sticking solely to that class for 20 levels straight out of the PHB1, no sourcebooks or 3rd party bullshit required. 3E got, if anything, more balanced as it went along.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

slydingdoor posted:

Play it out.

Someone's going to go over that point by point while missing the most important thing about it.

A rogue or fighter of the necromancer's level tries to solo the dragon. Do we even need to discuss what might happen?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

slydingdoor posted:

Play it out.

On the one hand, I do have the feeling that if any one of us tried to sit down at our next 5e game and try to break the game this way there'd be a lot of little logistical things that kept it from basically ever operating at the full power we're talking about here, even if the DM wasn't explicitly on-guard for this exploit.

On the other hand, this isn't a huge resource commitment for the wizard, and even operating at a fraction of its max efficiency it's going to be doing the fighter's niche as well or better than the fighter. I'd say it's pretty undeniably super imbalanced, even if we take what most of the people who are defending it here are saying as true.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

seebs posted:

I guess I'm more interested in how the game plays when I'm playing with people who are assuming a good-faith effort to have a fun game and who will politely disregard a possible exploit in order to keep the game fun than I am in whether it can be broken, because the observation that it can be broken has no effect at all on my gameplay.

My issue here is that if this is the actual restriction on my play choices, I'm not going to play a game with hundreds of pages of rules. I'm fine with playing In A Wicked Age where I have a power described by a sentence that can be used however I like so long as it produces a good story. But that game is described by a pamphlet. I don't need to reference a dozen different spell entries to learn what a monster can do: it can do what makes sense for the story. If casting a spell a few times breaks the game, such that I'm an rear end in a top hat to my friends for doing so, why did I pay WotC to print a book with that spell in it?

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

ianvincible posted:

That's assuming there haven't been centuries of necromancers roaming around the countryside raising everyone as skeletons. A small hamlet doesn't have a town cemetery, they just have a town grave, since whoever they bury is always raised as a skeleton before the next guy dies.

Necromancers get into bidding wars for exclusivity contracts over particularly corpse-producing towns ("500 gold to build a new mill, and 25 skeletons' labor each year at harvest time for exclusive rights to your dead for the next 5 years." "Well, Lord Skullfist is offering to build a new mill and put a new roof on the tavern. And the old witch is saying we're due for a plague in the next few years..." ). Of course, they could just go in and start killing, but skeletons are fragile. They might break some of yours, you might break some of theirs, and if there's a wandering gang of adventurers around who knows what will happen? You might end up with fewer usable skeletons than you started with! Better to play it safe, that's just simple necronomics.

You can't expect to just graduate fresh from Wizard College and immediately get into the skeleton game. You gotta know people who know people. Do some internships. Work your way up.
Dread Necromancer: "Fear my wrath, peasants!"
Peasants: "What are ya gonna do, KILL US? Skel'ton's don't make babies dat what grow up to be skel'tons, ya high-falutin idjit!"

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

For reference, 15 Skeletons summoned by a level 16 Necromancer will do the same DPR to the dragon as a level 16 Fighter in round 1, when he uses Action Surge to make 6 attacks.

Once he's used his Action Surge, 8 Skeletons (that's 1 level 5 spell slot) will on average outdamage him every round.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I can't stop laughing at that Sphinx stat block.

Well done, adventurers. For solving The Riddle of the Sphinx, you have earned a reward beyond imagining... *a grand dining room set appears, with full table service and five course meal including soup and salad* Behold! The Bottomless Bread Bowl!

Here lies true class parity; no number of skeletons could ever partake of such a feast, but the fighter can fill up on bread all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Generic Octopus posted:

The blacksmith fighter can craft armor all day though.
So could a wizard, if fabricate is a ritual. 20 minutes a pop iirc.