Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

I think Sharron Angle was the stand out superstar of that election cycle. Rand would be, but he actually won. :negative:

Christine definitely gets points for having to deny that she's a witch in a 21st century Senate campaign.

I would totally vote for a witch. I think thaumaturgical-Americans are way underrepresented in elected office. :witch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I knew a witch once. She cooked for my fraternity until we found a bag of pigeon wings or some poo poo in the pantry.

Dunno how but she made bomb rear end baked goods without using a measuring cup.

I'm also probably cursed to have three eyed children or something.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think thaumaturgical-Americans are way underrepresented in elected office.

True, at least since Robert Byrd died.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

I think Sharron Angle was the stand out superstar of that election cycle. Rand would be, but he actually won. :negative:

Christine definitely gets points for having to deny that she's a witch in a 21st century Senate campaign.

Yeah but O'donnell ticks that box of "actually hurts the GOP" by costing them a seat. Castle would've likely crushed Coons in the general. I dunno who Angle beat in the primary, but Reid is a tough beat vs whoever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm not actually a fan of Rawlsian justice, or most justice-based ethics theories, actually. The ethic of reciprocity is considered useless in isolation in pretty much all of academic ethics, except maybe by some of the virtue ethicists. It just doesn't provide meaningful guidance or correction- so, a single panel summation of ethics as a field consisting of the golden rule is pretty inaccurate.

Randler posted:

Is the state justified in punishing people for and/or using its resource to keep people from

(a) commiting suicide by swallowing a cyanide pill
(b) helping somebody (who wishes to die) to die by inaction (e.g. not feeding)
(c) helping somebody (who wishes to die) to die by action (e.g. switching off their life support)?

Is there a meaningful distinction between (a) and (b-c)? Is there one between (b) and (c)?

I'm not super into the euthanasia debate, but the consensus is that the state is justified in preventing scenario a under almost all circumstances, and, over the past 40 years or so, justified in heavily limiting the context in which b is permitted- that's the classic withdrawal of care/hospice scenario. C is normally considered justified where the person is, qua most meaningful senses of personhood, gone- their brain has been irreversibly destroyed. (Consent is determined by some prior act indicating intentions in scenario c and some forms of scenario b). There are a bunch of reasons why scenario A is usually considered ethical for prohibition, primarily being that it appears to be inescapably subject to individual and cultural levels of abuse and bias in application, however well-regulated it's supposed to be.

Scenario B is usually justified by resource allocation or futility, although the practical effect of that justification can be very small if it exists. The crux of the analysis in these scenarios is that consent or a desire to die is a necessary element, but must not be considered a sufficient justification.

paragon1 posted:

Would it be ethical for me to start a program of cloning of death row inmate's organs for transplants at a profit?

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but just in case: the general consensus is no, not because any individual part of that can't theoretically be made OK with certain practices built in (you could compensate the inmates, for example), but because the existence of a private market for organs produces a massive scope for abuse and perverse incentives that leads to really really bad outcomes and can't meaningfully be checked or regulated. There have been past attempts at legalizing organ markets- things went very badly very quickly.

made of bees posted:

Discendo Vox, what are your thoughts on the Dungeons&Dragons alignment scheme?

I don't know it very well, but looking into it, it seems like a distinction between moral and ethical axes is a bit arbitrary- that distinction isn't well-defined or recognized in a systematic way.

I can say that everyone who knows me in real life who has for some reason considered my alignment to be overwhelmingly lawful good. I'm not so sure- and I bet SedanChair also disagrees with that assessment.

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Lawful good is redundant"

"The value of Law is frequently underrated by those who have not experienced life outside it- especially loving Libertarians. I have nightmares of a Paul Administration."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Yeah but O'donnell ticks that box of "actually hurts the GOP" by costing them a seat. Castle would've likely crushed Coons in the general. I dunno who Angle beat in the primary, but Reid is a tough beat vs whoever.

Angle beat Sue "Pay for Doctors with Chickens" Lowden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZezfjWox5s

The scary thing is that Reid probably would have lost to Lowden in 2010, had she won the primary. And then we'd be faced with Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Obamacare would have made yogurt a mandatory meal and outlawed FitBits.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Randler posted:

Are you really trying to attack a perceived "Those gays are shameful gays!" position by calling its alleged supporter "a shameful gay!" yourself?

Yes this is exactly what I'm doing

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

That is one of my all-time favorite pieces of political absurdity, up there with when Fox had a Countess De Rothschild calling Obama an elitist.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

this is it

this is the most D&D post

Victor posted:

Jastiger posted:

I feel like all of this thread since Victor got in was for him fighting tooth and nail just to get to the starting line on the discussion about theocracy and secularism. He still has to show why using dogmatic and a priori assumptions in order to make a judgement call on religious belief is superior to secular values (i.e. consequences of values rather than assumed values), and if you can't justify the existence of said beliefs in the first place, it is all really conjecture.
Heh, "fighting tooth and nail". As far as I can tell, you've ignored most of these posts of mine: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . You at least didn't quote any of those, and I know you don't respond very often without a quotation. It's hard to have a decent conversation with someone when he ignores approximately half of your posts. I've quoted you 39 times so far.

You once again ignore this:

Victor posted:

Do you, Jastiger, realize the difference between the following two claims?
  • (1) You should abandon believe B because I have shown you a superior belief, S.
  • (2) You should abandon believe B because you do not have sufficient reason to hold it.
What I posted employed (2), not (1). My criticisms of you, Devour, several others in this thread, and Sam Harris, are of the form (2). Devour mistakenly thinks I've made an argument of the form (1), such as:
  • (3) The claim that secular humanism is strictly better than religion in terms of governance is false, on the basis that religion has been shown to be better.
Were I to assert such a proposition, I would be expected to defend it, either on a priori grounds (such as God being the source of all morality), or a posteriori grounds (such as there being a better theocracy than the best secular humanism-inspired polity). The unfortunate fact for you and Devour is that I have not espoused (3) in this thread.
I am arguing (2), not (1). Why can't you understand this??? By the way, ^^ is one of my posts, quoting you, which you utterly ignored. I wonder why? Alas, this post is yet another example of me "fighting tooth and nail just to get to the starting line on the discussion". Yes, I intentionally omitted the rest of the sentence. I can't get to the starting line on the discussion if you cherry-pick my posts so horribly.

Indeed, I have a hard time deciphering your last sentence. Maybe if you laid things out in propositional form (e.g. using (1), (2), ...), you would bring clarity to your thinking as well as my understanding of your thinking.

It's archived so a lot of the editing is lost, but each of those numbers is a link to a post he'd made that the other person had failed to quote.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The chat thread can either decide to talk about Rawlsian morality or dancing chickens, depending on which derail wins the evening.

Your choice, D&D.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

The chat thread can either decide to talk about Rawlsian morality or dancing chickens, depending on which derail wins the evening.

Your choice, D&D.

彼らが開催される「12年…犠牲が削除された誰が私が話すときジョンゴールジョンゴールは、これは私ですが、彼は彼が誰彼の愛やなたから子宮の実を差し控えかれ彼の品物を、犠牲にしないよりも、私を愛して誰がされているがオフになって、私は年齢だと、ご希望の場合、なぜ、彼らは滅びるましょう彼らは私が私はあなたを伝えることが、知識である男、私」、恐れている。一つだけはムーバや職人であり、テレビで彼に走ったと悲しみで、硬化させた。しかし、誰緊急ありませんでした。スピーカーが選出される。 ;世界は単に気道の発現がそこにはあったように一般的ではありません寝室に向かって突進の先生は、、ですが、一つだけの神、満たされるだろうラリーを鳴らすことなく、るが、トーンが解決すべきである。

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Your choice, D&D.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I read this Victor post once. That was a mistake.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Discendo Vox posted:

There are a bunch of reasons why scenario A is usually considered ethical for prohibition, primarily being that it appears to be inescapably subject to individual and cultural levels of abuse and bias in application, however well-regulated it's supposed to be.

Shouldn't an individual's decision to live or die be considered the ultimate expression of self-determination and therefore the argument of "inescapable (...) individual abuse" be considered a huge infringement on said individual's agency, though? (Even considering, for the sake of the argument, that a lot but not all suicide attempts are made in a state of mind not considered to be healthy, can there be a justification for the state deciding wheter one can have his own live at his disposal when usually the state is restrained to decide about who lives or who dies in extremely rare circumstances, e.g. criminal punishment, self-defense, war?)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sort of amazing that cock fighting was a campaign issue in two different primary elections in the US this year.

Sorry, I mean "chicken boxing".

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

quote:

What we're talking about is spousal rape, which is arguably the least bad kind.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

It's funny because I was like "Oh which Victor post, there were a lot of really bad ones" and my eyes were instantly drawn to this line and I went "Oooooh that one."

quote:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I mean, at least he cited his sources. Sure, they were Bible verses, but he put in the effort of a true D&D poster.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Randler posted:

Shouldn't an individual's decision to live or die be considered the ultimate expression....

I got an easy ethics rule of thumb for ya: If I get caught doing this, will I get in trouble? If yes, take the consideration to do your unethical actions in a polite manner.

Having lived in the country, gently caress chickens. They're noisy and wake you up too drat early on the weekends.

E:

Joementum posted:

Sort of amazing that cock fighting was a campaign issue in two different primary elections in the US this year.

Sorry, I mean "chicken boxing".

Have you seen the crosstabs on cockfights? :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

My Imaginary GF posted:

I got an easy ethics rule of thumb for ya: If I get caught doing this, will I get in trouble? If yes, take the consideration to do your unethical actions in a polite manner.

Are you suggesting that an action's causality for unwelcome consequences is a reliable indicator for said action being unethical? :kheldragar:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

gently caress chickens.

:monocle:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Randler posted:

Shouldn't an individual's decision to live or die be considered the ultimate expression of self-determination and therefore the argument of "inescapable (...) individual abuse" be considered a huge infringement on said individual's agency, though? (Even considering, for the sake of the argument, that a lot but not all suicide attempts are made in a state of mind not considered to be healthy, can there be a justification for the state deciding wheter one can have his own live at his disposal when usually the state is restrained to decide about who lives or who dies in extremely rare circumstances, e.g. criminal punishment, self-defense, war?)

Sorry, I should've been clearer there. The "inescapable individual abuse" I was referring to isn't by the individuals dying, it's by the individuals saying that the death is permissible or facilitating the death. Individual-level abuse is stuff like helping Nan kill herself during a sudden and temporary bout of depression because I stand to inherit her estate. That sort of thing has happened, and legalization of euthanasia

The crux of self-determination on death does boil down to how you want to deal with the construct of mental health in relation to suicide. Mental health is generally a really vague area, and what looks like a rational decision to die to one person is another person's temporary irrationality. This is true of clinicians, too, and is one part of why I think the Belgian law is a huge mistake.

The irreversible nature of the act does a lot for me in terms of justifying a ban on it. We have plenty of people who attempted or sought suicide who later regretted their decision. We can't tell what would have happened in the minds of those who succeed. It's the ultimate counterfactual.

:stonk: Well, now I feel better about when I chose to disengage on the "end of gay culture" argument. I'll just have to wait until my next delicious custom title. I hope I get a higher-quality avatar with the next one- this one's kinda MSPainty. Maybe something colorful, to go with my alleged homophobia/repressed homosexuality?

Victor posted:

I'm sorry to disappoint SedanChair and my other fans, but there is no way I am ever topping this. I'm terrified to read how a justification of that position would even work for fear of being somehow poisoned.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 13, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but just in case: the general consensus is no, not because any individual part of that can't theoretically be made OK with certain practices built in (you could compensate the inmates, for example), but because the existence of a private market for organs produces a massive scope for abuse and perverse incentives that leads to really really bad outcomes and can't meaningfully be checked or regulated. There have been past attempts at legalizing organ markets- things went very badly very quickly.

Lol I was but thanks for being a good sport and giving me a serious answer anyway.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Randler posted:

Are you suggesting that an action's causality for unwelcome consequences is a reliable indicator for said action being unethical? :kheldragar:

"When the President does it, that means its not illegal" vs. "If you're gonna do it, be polite and don't get caught"

Discendo Vox posted:

There have been past attempts at legalizing organ markets- things went very badly very quickly.

You say "very badly very quickly," I say fueled the industrial revolution. Let me find a good talk I heard on how Victorian railways were unprofitable without it. Here we go:
http://cdn.bbcmagazinesbristol.com/bbchistory/audio/HistoryExtra_3rdDec12.mp3

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 13, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

XyloJW posted:

Victor postin'

Oh drat, fair enough.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zeitgueist posted:

this is it

this is the most D&D post

I'm its midwife

"ahahahahaha" *takes breath* "hahaha"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
This forum kinda deserves Victor tbh.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Dreylad posted:

This forum kinda deserves Victor tbh.

The Dark Knight of Columbus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know unless they changed the Rape Type Power Rankings since the last time I looked, he's actually right.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

zoux posted:

You know unless they changed the Rape Type Power Rankings since the last time I looked, he's actually right.

This sounds like a frightening mix of civil court and fantasy football.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Which ones are sufficiently OP to be banned from tournament play?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
edit: nevermind

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I recognize that chart style...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

edit: nevermind

What was your off color rape joke that you removed like a coward?

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 13, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

XyloJW posted:

"Oh which Victor post, there were a lot of really bad ones"

The Pikel will go to hell because he wasn't a Christian post was the worst.

I quoted a section from Night where the Nazis hang a young Jewish boy and someone in the crowd being forced to watch asks " Where is God?", followed by a pretty graphic description of what happens to a hanged body. Then I asked Victor the question "Where is God?" in that situation.

None of the spergy debate program aided posts are as bad as that one.

Edit: I think that was after he told someone who's child died in another thread that the child was going to hell if they weren't Christian. That post might have been worse.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 13, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

Edit: I think that was after he told someone who's child died in another thread that the child was going to hell if they weren't Christian. That post might have been worse.

From a Christian perspective, that's pretty much the worst thing you can tell someone. Also probably the least Christ-like. GG, Victor - I can't imagine how many people you've turned away from God in your lifetime.

e: I shouldn't swear when I'm being preachy.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 13, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Someone told me they spoke to Victor recently, and he has apparently changed a lot of his beliefs, but he's afraid to come back to SA because of his long history of saying stuff that he now realizes were incredibly stupid and horrible.

This doesn't surprise me, because Victor's entire style of argument, we eventually learned after years of arguing, was Grow Mode/Acid Mode, where Grow Mode meant say anything you loving want, whatever comes to mind, and defend it till you're blue in the face, then Acid Mode was where you take the 500 pages of people telling you that it's stupid and parsing it all at once and deciding whether or not your original premise was stupid, or what parts of it were stupid.

Grow Mode brought us such ideas as "God must have wanted there to be slavery since there was slavery in the Bible and God was right there," "African children must have done something to deserve to starve to death," "Homosexuality is illogical since women use inductive reasoning and men use deductive reasoning, and without both, you cannot properly assess a situation," "The story of Noah's Ark and Adam and Eve were literally true, and the existence of so many different species of bears that could not have evolved in just 5000 years is evidence that the creature on the ark must have been some sort of 'protobear'," and "The bible is true because I went on a picnic and had a nice day, and I read the bible."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love young earth creationists that believe that Noah's Ark was literally true.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Back when I was in school and a bit more interested in engaging, I made the mistake of engaging Victor. Pages and pages, hours and hours wasted, trying to appeal to the actual person behind the nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

zoux posted:

I recognize that chart style...

What is this chart trying to tell me because the numbers aren't adding up :confused:

E: I'm not sure when Victor stopped posting here, but he was still active in CoC as recently as a couple years ago, I think.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 13, 2014

• Locked thread