Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Germany reacted to shenanigans in the east by immediately throwing its drat army west.

Germany and France were on a hair trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phobophilia posted:

Germany reacted to shenanigans in the east by immediately throwing its drat army west.

Germany and France were on a hair trigger.

Germany threw its army West because they expected the opponent to the East to mobilize slowly. The thinking was probably "If we head East first, the French will gently caress us in the rear end. If we wheel West, knock France off the board and swoop back East via rail, we should be back in time to gently caress up the Russians."

Instead, Russia got rolling faster than Germany expected (though it didn't exactly deliver victory), and Germany got bogged down in France despite having a pretty good start.

Then everyone else realized poo poo had gotten real as gently caress in the preceding months and hopped in.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 9, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

My dad just came back home from England and the daily mirror had an insert of the front page from August 5 1914. I'm gonna head over to kinkos and get it scanned in soon and will post in this thread.

quick dirty teaser pic

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How much did the western front line move after the first few months of the war? Did Germany make any more significant progress, and when did the Entente start regaining lost ground?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The old Blackadder line about Haig and his drinks cabinet's an exaggeration, but not much of one. The line was capable of moving significant distances, but at horrific cost and with the obvious disadvantages of moving further and further from your own railheads, across complete wastelands, towards an army that was being moved closer to its own supplies, with little hope of being able to create a gap wide enough for long enough to shove some cavalry through.

What it's not is a simple case of Germans advancing, then Allies retreating; then Allies advancing while the Germans retreated. Until mid-1918 the front line was perfectly capable of moving both ways; this is not at all like WWII in Europe, which you can reasonably depict as "the Germans advanced on all fronts until the Xth of X 1942, then the Allies advanced on all fronts thereafter".

In Belgium the BEF installed itself a few miles outside Ypres and was pushed back completely by accident after the Germans conducted a little gas test in the Ypres salient and ended up nearly throwing them into the sea; as it was they were pushed out of their unsafe-but-defensible positions and forced to occupy much worse ones right on the outskirts of the town, which they then broke out of in 1917 and advanced about ten miles before being bogged down at Paaschendaele.

The Somme is of course the greatest British image of futility and slaughter, but unlike Verdun it did actually result in an advance (much like how Third Ypres was ultimately a failure because they failed to reach the rail junction at Rouleurs, the objective of the Somme was the rail junction at Bapaume, which they stalled out well short of), and by the winter of 1916 they'd advanced six miles, which was the biggest advance since the Marne. Of course in 1918 the Spring Offensive happened, and by the end of that the front line had in some places moved forty miles or more. But that had been preceded by the withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line, during which the Germans had voluntarily given up about forty miles...

So it was possible for the front line to move during the static period, but you can also draw a very narrow set of lines on a map of France and Belgium marking the two furthest lines of advance (and it doesn't get too much better if you expand the lines to mark furthest advance during the whole war). On that grand scale, it really was chateaux and drinks cabinets.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

How much did the western front line move after the first few months of the war? Did Germany make any more significant progress, and when did the Entente start regaining lost ground?

The front remained largely unchanged from 1915 until the Spring Offensive in 1918. For example the Germans attempted to capture Ypres in October 1914 and was still trying to take it in early 1918.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Agreed. For however much the Russians are portrayed as a inferior army, the Austro-Hungarians were even worse

And yet they still managed to be better than the Italians.

:histdowns: Let's attack the same exact spot 12 times, we'll break those drat Austrians eventually!

EDIT: Oh, I know the terrain made attack nearly impossible, they literally had to climb up to where the Austrians were fortified. Its just that with the benefit of hindsight we can see why that was a VERY BAD IDEA, just like most of the offensives on the Western Front.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 9, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I made an effort post about the Isonzos some time ago in the milhist thread; I know it is fun and all to say "lol 12 battles", but when you take a hard look at the terrain and the objectives of each side, there really isn't much else that they could have done. In the end it really wasn't all that different from what went on across the Western Front, it just happened in one geographic location instead of 4-5.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Had they been a better army and been able to handle Serbia, would WWI have been forestalled significantly or were things basically set to go off regardless of Ferdinand getting killed?

The Austro-Hungarians were really dead-set on attacking Serbia, to the point of deliberately keeping their negotiations (or lack of it) secret from their German allies until it was too late as well as crafting the ultimatum in such a way that they knew that Serbia would have to decline it or part of it.

The Austro-Hungarians having a better army probably would not have changed the sequence of events up through the July Crisis and the declaration of war, but if they were good enough to take on Serbia by themselves without getting shitloads of troops killed, and moreso if they were good enough to hold their part of the front against the Russians, the outcome of the war might have changed assuming Germany suddenly has so many more thousands of troops freed up from the Eastern Front.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Austro-Hungarians were really dead-set on attacking Serbia, to the point of deliberately keeping their negotiations (or lack of it) secret from their German allies until it was too late as well as crafting the ultimatum in such a way that they knew that Serbia would have to decline it or part of it.

The Austro-Hungarians having a better army probably would not have changed the sequence of events up through the July Crisis and the declaration of war, but if they were good enough to take on Serbia by themselves without getting shitloads of troops killed, and moreso if they were good enough to hold their part of the front against the Russians, the outcome of the war might have changed assuming Germany suddenly has so many more thousands of troops freed up from the Eastern Front.

One of the ironies of the war was that by 1918 Austria-Hungary had actually achieved all of their war goals. Serbia was occupied. Russia was defeated. Italy was all but defeated and only in the war because it was being propped up with British and French troops.

They were just stuck in a greater war that was being lost.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I just want to say that despite the failings of the Austro-hungarian army, the Serbian army was pretty drat impressive. Though they eventually lost their territory, and had to retreat across mountains, they launched some pretty drat good counter-offensives, didn't melt away after defeat and had to be bottled up in Salonika. Which I think is pretty good for getting in a war with a way bigger neighbour, just because of the crazy actions of a spymaster. They also required the Austro-hungarians to get help from the Germans when they probably would have preferred being elsewhere.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thanks to everyone who jumped into the TBB Book of the Month thread, you're really improving that discussion a lot. We also have a general thread for books about history that y'all might be interested in.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Of course you can read the book. Its only 400 pages. :v:

This is a pro-click for you cold war land combat nerds. Covers quite a few symbols.

Also you could ask us about specific map symbols you are interested in.

Skimmed through the file and I think I got a reasonable handle on them, so expect some icons by me in the coming days. But I do have a few questions:
Are there any hard rules for adding modifiers to a unit? Other than it being a contradiction or impossible, like a half track sonar bouy or pack animal fighter.

Why does MILITARY INTELLIGENCE AERIAL EXPLOITATION (1.X.3.1.2.2.1) use the drone symbol as part of it?

Is there a way to denote meteorological conditions created by man? Since weather is a real thing militaries have been working on, not to mention conditions caused by events similar to lighting oil fields aflame.

While I can understand the need for many of the symbols, the reason for a graffiti one eludes me.

Unless I missed it there isnt a way to note that a unit (potentially) has NBC capabilities. (I thought the proper term now was CBRN(e) [chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive]

Also I'm amused theres an official symbol for where extortion is happening.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Communist Zombie posted:

While I can understand the need for many of the symbols, the reason for a graffiti one eludes me.

They are in the MOTW section, so they are probably used to get a handle on gang signs or the like. Or to denote which building to storm (it's the one between the two buildings with obvious graffiti).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Communist Zombie posted:

Skimmed through the file and I think I got a reasonable handle on them, so expect some icons by me in the coming days. But I do have a few questions:
Are there any hard rules for adding modifiers to a unit? Other than it being a contradiction or impossible, like a half track sonar bouy or pack animal fighter.

Why does MILITARY INTELLIGENCE AERIAL EXPLOITATION (1.X.3.1.2.2.1) use the drone symbol as part of it?

Its close, not exactly the same though.

Communist Zombie posted:

Is there a way to denote meteorological conditions created by man? Since weather is a real thing militaries have been working on, not to mention conditions caused by events similar to lighting oil fields aflame.

No clue here.

Communist Zombie posted:

Unless I missed it there isnt a way to note that a unit (potentially) has NBC capabilities. (I thought the proper term now was CBRN(e) [chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive]

Table III Symbol Modifier Field Definitions might shed some light on it. I'm not sure if there is a specific modifier for NBC capabilities.

Communist Zombie posted:

Also I'm amused theres an official symbol for where extortion is happening.

Heheh, I have no idea for the actual use of the graffiti symbol, might be used as a landmark.

No clue about extortion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
When the 2nd Guards Army comes through Berlin, we'll airdrop highly trained NATO graffiti units behind enemy lines to demoralise them completely. Then the extortion squads will move in!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Baloogan posted:

No clue about extortion.
You are familiar with the history of armies, no?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I can't imagine anything other than this sketch, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2QJBWq-gY0

You've got a nice army base here, Colonel...

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Nowadays we like to call it "voluntarily rendered assistance", thank you very much.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Baloogan posted:

Heheh, I have no idea for the actual use of the graffiti symbol, might be used as a landmark.

No clue about extortion.

They're symbols to denote insurgent activities.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HEY GAL posted:

How did leaders represent forces on maps in your era of expertise?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

gradenko_2000 posted:

How did leaders represent forces on maps in your era of expertise?
A bunch of ways. I've seen squares/rectangles, square (or rectangular) shaped collections of little dots, etc. The name of each commander will be paired with the little square representing his battalion.

This was made after the fact and was intended for publication:

I've seen one battle deployment sketch which was made at the time (before the battle, actually), intended as a memory aid, but I can't find it.

They're somewhat less abstract than modern representations--here, a square on a map really is a square-shaped group of people. They are much less elaborate, though. I don't think the differentiation between infantry and cavalry, for instance, was used. Why would you, since you know the names of all your subordinates and know what they do already?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

gradenko_2000 posted:

Russia didn't really have munitions supply issues in WWI. At least, no more than what the rest of the world collectively experienced in 1915-1916 when there was a global shortage of artillery ammunition. The portrayal of Tsarist armies suffering defeats for want of supplies, arms, food is largely a myth - they were just lead really ineptly.
I'm going slowly through the book but the point is made that Russian shell stockpiles are about 10% per gun of the stockpiles of everyone else in 1914. They definitely started out with supply issues, but everyone else managed to meet them there eventually.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

A bunch of ways. I've seen squares/rectangles, square (or rectangular) shaped collections of little dots, etc. The name of each commander will be paired with the little square representing his battalion.

This was made after the fact and was intended for publication:

I've seen one battle deployment sketch which was made at the time (before the battle, actually), intended as a memory aid, but I can't find it.

They're somewhat less abstract than modern representations--here, a square on a map really is a square-shaped group of people. They are much less elaborate, though. I don't think the differentiation between infantry and cavalry, for instance, was used. Why would you, since you know the names of all your subordinates and know what they do already?

How far back does this go? Are there medieval or classical documents that show troop dispositions in a top down, diagrammatical sense? Or was cartography too primitive for it to be a useful thing?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So it turns out my new boss has his doctorate in modern European history and is arguably an even bigger nerd than I am. He and I spent the whole afternoon debating what I thought was a very interesting hypothesis.

His statement: had the Balkan crises been delayed by five or so years, the reichstsag would have taken power from the Kaiser and the junkers within the German Empire and move to Germany to wards an anti-war, anti-colonial position, which likely would have prevented both world wars.

I am not doing justice to his arguments here, but I am curious what you other nerds think of this proposal.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

bewbies posted:

So it turns out my new boss has his doctorate in modern European history and is arguably an even bigger nerd than I am. He and I spent the whole afternoon debating what I thought was a very interesting hypothesis.

His statement: had the Balkan crises been delayed by five or so years, the reichstsag would have taken power from the Kaiser and the junkers within the German Empire and move to Germany to wards an anti-war, anti-colonial position, which likely would have prevented both world wars.

I am not doing justice to his arguments here, but I am curious what you other nerds think of this proposal.

Sounds pretty nuts to me, but I know hardly anything about domestic politics in the German Empire. Can you relay to us some reasons why he thinks it would have shaken out that way? And what's your position on his hypothesis?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

brozozo posted:

Sounds pretty nuts to me, but I know hardly anything about domestic politics in the German Empire. Can you relay to us some reasons why he thinks it would have shaken out that way? And what's your position on his hypothesis?

I am also very out of my element here, but basically: the SPD gained a spectacular amount influence in Germany from 1890 through the start of WWI, and he was of the opinion was that that trend was going to continue its trajectory such that the Prussians would not be able to sustain their stranglehold on the Empire had the war not begun in 1914 (as this event pretty much unified the Reichstag and ended any influence of dirty peacenik hippies). Had the SPD or another leftist party seized a sufficent amount of political power, they would have immediately undone much of the strain of militarism (to include much of the the reservist system, at least in part, and certainly the naval buildup) that had dominated Germany over the previous couple of decades, which would have made a hair-trigger mobilization and thus a two-front war a strategic impossibility. At the same time, they would have moved away from supporting the A-H regime and perhaps would have even found more in common with France politically.

edit - my position is...ambiguous, as I too don't know much about internal German politics prior to the war. I do think I agree though that if a significant amount of political power had been wrested from the Hohenzollerns and the junkers that WWI probably would not have happened as it did, and it likely would have emerged as a massive collapse of A-H, Russia, and the Ottomans all roughly simultaneously instead which would have been pretty spectacular. Of course without Versailles and the like it isn't likely that the Nazis ever emerge but that's getting pretty speculative.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 13, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I'm weary of any scenario that requires a large number of contingencies to come off just right. What's the guarantee that the SPD keeps succeeding? What's the guarantee that they don't decide to get patriotism the next time a crisis comes along? Etc.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

bewbies posted:

So it turns out my new boss has his doctorate in modern European history and is arguably an even bigger nerd than I am. He and I spent the whole afternoon debating what I thought was a very interesting hypothesis. His statement: had the Balkan crises been delayed by five or so years, the reichstsag would have taken power from the Kaiser and the junkers within the German Empire and move to Germany to wards an anti-war, anti-colonial position, which likely would have prevented both world wars. I am not doing justice to his arguments here, but I am curious what you other nerds think of this proposal.

I don't know if this is the foundation of your boss's opinion, but there's a strong argument that Germany's rapid industrialization was causing significant power-shifting both internationally and domestically. The First World War can be partially seen as a response to that shift in power. And if that war had not occurred, then there's a better than even chance that Germany would have attained economic domination over Europe within 20 years - and with that the German domestic power structure would perhaps have shifted from the militarists to the industrialists.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

I can kind of half see what he's getting at. I think he way overestimates the strength of the pre-war SPD and under-estimates the catholics and the center. I could see the Reichstag in general sidelining the Kaiser and the Junkers much more but I don't necessarily think that it would lead to anti-colonial or anti-war policies. There was an awfully big, patriotic push for those things from the growing middle class that was largely based in nationalism and national pride and you don't get the concerted push-back against them that we come to associate with a strong political left until WW1 so aptly demonstrates what the worst case scenario is. This is ignoring the fact that without WW1 you also don't get a communist revolution in Russia which is pretty much THE political event of the early 20th century. Then again, without the grand early-war coalition that the SPD signs onto for patriotic reasons you also don't get the self-destruction of the German left during the war, so god only knows how politically influential the SPD/KPD are in our hypothetical no-War 1919 (no communist revolution, but no Great Schism either. . . )

poo poo like this is why I hate counterfactuals.

Also I don't suppose there's any chance you work at a small business that deals primarily in bicycle parts, is there? edit: VVVV not you, Bewbies

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 13, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also I don't suppose there's any chance you work at a small business that deals primarily in bicycle parts, is there?
They used to be bicycle parts.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

This isn't about tank destroyers so hopefully people still know something about it, but does anyone have any idea what sort of weapon this guy has and why he'd have it?

Only other place I can find it is in German Federal Archives but without a caption.

Any guesses are also fine!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Even if Germany doesn't want war, France, Serbia, Austria-Hungary and Russia would still want to fight for all the reasons they did historically. I guess we're generously assuming A-H is smart enough to back down in the absence of firm German support?

Bewbies, why do you think the Russian empire would still collapse in the absence of WWI? I figure they'd be the primary beneficiary of Austrian and Ottoman decline and the Third, Fourth, and Fifth Balkan wars that would likely take WWI's place. Sure the Tsarist system was broken, but broken systems can limp along for very long times without an external stress bringing things to a head.

Sorry for diving headfirst into gay black Kaiser territory.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Karandras posted:

This isn't about tank destroyers so hopefully people still know something about it, but does anyone have any idea what sort of weapon this guy has and why he'd have it?

Only other place I can find it is in German Federal Archives but without a caption.

I love guessing!

Looks like a break action shotgun- maybe he's skeet shooting?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Karandras posted:

It looks like a typical over-under shotgun. Dude's probably blasting clay or birds.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Karandras posted:

Looks like a bird-hunting shotgun.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I believe it's a shotgun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Terrible angle on the gun but it looks right dimensionally to be a drilling. It's a type of combo of a side by side with an under barrel hunting rifle. The Luftwaffe issued a few thousand to bomber and recon crews early war as survival weapons. For shooting game or birds in remote areas, not as defensive weapons. The photo looks staged enough to be any matter of propaganda or promotional material.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

bewbies posted:

I am also very out of my element here, but basically: the SPD gained a spectacular amount influence in Germany from 1890 through the start of WWI, and he was of the opinion was that that trend was going to continue its trajectory such that the Prussians would not be able to sustain their stranglehold on the Empire had the war not begun in 1914 (as this event pretty much unified the Reichstag and ended any influence of dirty peacenik hippies). Had the SPD or another leftist party seized a sufficent amount of political power, they would have immediately undone much of the strain of militarism (to include much of the the reservist system, at least in part, and certainly the naval buildup) that had dominated Germany over the previous couple of decades, which would have made a hair-trigger mobilization and thus a two-front war a strategic impossibility. At the same time, they would have moved away from supporting the A-H regime and perhaps would have even found more in common with France politically.

I would tend to point out a few specific problems with this hypothesis. In the order that they occurred to me,
(1) It assumes a continuous upward trend in the SPD's political fortunes, which doesn't necessarily follow. They had seen a meteoric rise in party membership culminating in their dominant showing in the 1912 Reichstag election, but realistically there were limits to growth. In the postwar elections in 1919 and 1920 the SPD together with its radical offshoot the USPD (the party's left wing had splintered off over support for the war) collected about right around 40% of the votes, and given the political context of the time that was probably the maximum share that the German left could have commanded. Since we're assuming no Great War, it's very possible that they were peaking in 1912 rather than on their way to permanent political control.
(2) It overestimates the influence of the Reichstag over the government of the German Empire. Although they did have the often-cited "power of the purse" and that gave them a large degree of influence, executive power was overwhelmingly in the hands of the Kaiser and his selected appointees. There's actually a great example of this from just before WWI. In 1913 there was some unrest in Alsace-Lorraine and the Reichstag, led by a coalition of the SPD, Zentrum (Catholics), and PPD (liberals) overwhelmingly approved a vote of no-confidence in chancellor Theobald von Bethman-Hollweg. The vote had no real effect, because the Kaiser had sole authority to select his chancellor and ask him to form a government. Speaking of which...
(3) The German Empire's political system vested tremendous authority in the Kaiser, and Kaiser Wilhelm II was notoriously a dilettante and autocratic bully. He did not have the inclination--or frankly the ability--to deal with a serious political opposition. Even if the SPD (or an SPD-led coalition) had been able to seize control of the Reichstag and effectively leverage their limited powers, the result would most likely be a long-term power struggle between Wilhelm and the Reichstag. To some extent this was already happening before the war started, and it's possible that the imperial establishment's eagerness to fight in part derived from a hope that war would quell those political conflicts.
(4) Most pointedly, when the war started the SPD fell right into line supporting it, so you shouldn't overestimate their commitment to internationalism.

I could go on a bit longer but I ran out of time just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Communist Zombie posted:

No clue here.

Well for meteorological conditions I suppose you could color them according to whoever started it. There is precedence in 'hostile' icebergs and navigational hazards.

Baloogan posted:

Table III Symbol Modifier Field Definitions might shed some light on it. I'm not sure if there is a specific modifier for NBC capabilities.

Reading through it, it seems youd just make a note next to the icon saying that.

Anyways heres my first NATO icon, its supposed to be for the YAL-1 airborne laser ballistic defense system.

• Locked thread