Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

「Red Rain」
Galaxy Destruction

Why do I get all the self destruct and kill everything stands. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

jyrque posted:

At quick glance, I always mistake Bucciaratti's lace undershirt for a chest full of hair.

I always thought it was a tattoo.

Hell if I know what's going on with Diavolo.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

LvK posted:

Haha, wait, what?
In the SNES Jojo game, when you finally fight DIO, the party doesn't stand a chance and it's an unwinnable battle. You then flee and find some sort of key. In DIO's lair, there's a chest you need to open with the key. Inside is the Time Cap. Jotaro puts it on and can now freeze time.

Fat_Cow posted:

「Red Rain」
Galaxy Destruction

Why do I get all the self destruct and kill everything stands. :negative:
It could work in tandem with a stand user who can send people to alternate galaxies.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

In the SNES Jojo game, when you finally fight DIO, the party doesn't stand a chance and it's an unwinnable battle. You then flee and fine some sort of key. In DIO's lair, there's a chest you need to open with the key. Inside is the Time Cap. Jotaro puts it on and can now freeze time.

Next Mario powerup found.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

jyrque posted:

At quick glance, I always mistake Bucciaratti's lace undershirt for a chest full of hair.

I always thought it was an undershirt, but lately I've been thinking it might be a tattoo.

Edit: someone already said that.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
One last random stand, since I'm sure people are getting tired of them.

Name: God Only Knows

Ability: Belief Warping. The power to alter reality according to one's beliefs.

...welp.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nevileen posted:

One last random stand, since I'm sure people are getting tired of them.

Name: God Only Knows

Ability: Belief Warping. The power to alter reality according to one's beliefs.

...welp.

Voiced by Aya Hirano.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In other news, Viz has announced release dates for their physical releases of Phantom Blood.

Volume 1: February 3, 2015
Volume 2: May 5, 2015
Volume 3: August, 2015

It will be available digitally starting next month.

Battle Tendency's first printed volume will be available on November 3rd, 2015 with the digital release starting in March of next year.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I've gotten years of enjoyment out of Jojo. I'm going to buy every single one of these to support Jojo in English.

Maybe someday we'll get a complete, accurate, comprehensible translation of Vento Aureo.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

[Manic Monday]

The most devious Stand of all, with the ability to erase all Fridays from space-time.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The only counter would be the asspullery of 「Friday on My Mind」

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 11, 2014

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

New JoJolion? No just a bunch of sub-facebook level circle jerking.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Every time there's a ton of new posts my first thought is immediately "ah, they've found another stand generator haven't they"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Stand Name: Fear Factory

Ability: Mass-produce Stands and fill up forum threads with them.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Oh hey I just found a link to some pictures of new Medicos Jojos figures they're working on, a lot of them are from the latter half of part 3 in preparation for the anime getting there and kicking demand.

This one seems pretty good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That is the smuggest statue I have ever seen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Good! Very Good!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Pewdiepie posted:

New JoJolion? No just a bunch of sub-facebook level circle jerking.

Jojolion is out on the 19th of every month so it might be a good idea to only check this thread around that time (probably a bit after so scans show up) because some of the "conversation" in the thread is downright embarrassing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

[Can't Fake the Feeling] - The ability to influence probability and reality through drawing, sculpting, painting, or any other form of art.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone else think Phantom Blood is better than people say? There's something about how the jojo craziness is there but not so formalized and established that makes for a very interesting read. Plus DIO.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Dio is half the reason why Phantom Blood is memorable at all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

chaos rhames posted:

Does anyone else think Phantom Blood is better than people say? There's something about how the jojo craziness is there but not so formalized and established that makes for a very interesting read. Plus DIO.

I went into Phantom Blood for the first time a few weeks ago with somewhat low expectations because I kept hearing that it was one of, if not the absolute weakest parts of Jojo but I was very surprised to find it was nothing short of amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The anime gave me a greater appreciation for Phantom Blood. When I read the manga, I pretty much rushed through it in like a day or two, but having to watch it for 9 weeks allowed me to take more time to appreciate just how Bram Stoker's Dracula it is.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

chaos rhames posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of phantom blood, but I'm really glad it exists in the overall jojo story.

Having such a, for a lack of a better word, generic story be the first arc of jojo's is a really good contrast with how nuts things get later on.

Also, Jonathan dying is a fantastic ending because it sets the tone that nobody is safe in jojo's, unlike almost every other punchman series out there

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Part 1 is better than people give it credit for (Dio, Speedwagon, Bruford and Tarkus all own) but let's face it, it was basically just Hokuto no Bram Stoker and existed to pave the way for the almost completely perfect parts 2, 4, and 7.

Ever read any of Araki's earlier stuff? Most of it really sucks. Baoh was mediocre and Gorgeous Irene was downright terrible.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
My main memory of part 1 was summed up by that one abridged series joke I actually liked.

"What's a three letter word for... 'total dick'?"

"DIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"Hey, that works."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The fights in Phantom Blood's anime were kinda stiff. Like, the final battle between Jonathan and Dio in Episode 8 mostly involved Dio standing still while Jonathan attacked him.

But, overall, I did kinda like it. Jonathan and Dio were neat characters. As was Speedwagon, though I wonder why he never used his crazy hat again.

Really, I'd say that Phantom Blood suffers from the same problem that Battle Tendency does: no one not named Jojo is able to accomplish anything, so every time the main character fights any villain, there's never any real sense of danger because you know he has to at least get to the main baddie.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Soulcleaver posted:

the almost completely perfect parts 2, 4, and 7.

This is something I've been meaning to ask, it seems like a lot of people are way into part 4 and I don't really see what the hype is about.

I mean sure, no accounting for taste and all that, and every jojo part tries to cover different tropes and poo poo so each one would appeal more/less to others, but it just felt super weak besides kira and has a lot of really dumb stuff in it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Seeing what would happen if just people in a town got stands is way more entertaining than yet another world spanning quest. Kira being an awesome villian helps too.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I really enjoyed the weird side stories and characterization that Part 4 had. I'm currently reading Part 6 and the breakneck pace of the plot battles doesn't leave any time for fun stuff like Rohan and the alien. The weird goofy poo poo that Stand users do in their everyday life was amazing in Part 4 (ex: Pearl Jam). Part 4 just had a nice, easygoing tone between horrific stuff.

Also the dynamic of Kira wanting to live a quiet life of murdering people, and the gang of heroes tracking him down is very different than the villain dynamic of the other parts. Crazy Diamond is a great main character stand too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

darealkooky posted:

This is something I've been meaning to ask, it seems like a lot of people are way into part 4 and I don't really see what the hype is about.

I mean sure, no accounting for taste and all that, and every jojo part tries to cover different tropes and poo poo so each one would appeal more/less to others, but it just felt super weak besides kira and has a lot of really dumb stuff in it

Part 4 for me is weird. When I read it the first time I barely enjoyed it (I normally don't like slice of life much at all) and couldn't get into the aimless nature of the story. I kinda forced my way through a lot of it, but in maybe the last quarter I got more into it.

Then later while looking back at it, I realized I really really enjoyed a lot of it and when I thought about how great some of the scenes and situations were it somehow 'clicked' with me and I loving love part 4 now. It's kinda like life itself - while you're there it just kinda seems like a lotta unconnected things happening that aren't that great, but then you think back on it and you realize how special and amazing the whole thing was.

Part 7 is still my favorite though. Part 8 is really up there for me so far, same with part 6. I'd maybe list part 4 around the same as those other two, if not a little behind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was going to try and write up a post of why I liked Part IV so much, but brainwrinkle got the key points.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think the thing about Phantom Blood is that it doesn't really set the tone for the stories that come later. Even the other story without Stands takes a different approach to ramping things up quickly and crazily. PB reminds me of those stories you eventually find out were written with the knowledge that they could get cancelled at any time. It keeps a tight rein on all aspects of the plot that aren't Jojo vs. Dio pretty much right up to Bruford and Tarkus, and everything is paced such that you know it's building to a final confrontation

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've only watched the anime for part 1 (I read up until the Jack the Ripper fight originally before giving up) but even then I felt it was kind of a slog. Parts of it are just far too tedious and I found myself thinking "I really don't care" during a lot of the scenes (like everything to do with those two knights). By around episode 7 I was really ready to give the series up, but a friend kinda forced me to at least get to part 2.

I will say though that after reading the other parts, Jonathan comes off a bit better. He actually seems pretty badass since he was able to beat Dio without even using magical breathing powers, so his "legacy" feels like it was actually a thing.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

brainwrinkle posted:

I really enjoyed the weird side stories and characterization that Part 4 had. I'm currently reading Part 6 and the breakneck pace of the plot battles doesn't leave any time for fun stuff like Rohan and the alien. The weird goofy poo poo that Stand users do in their everyday life was amazing in Part 4 (ex: Pearl Jam). Part 4 just had a nice, easygoing tone between horrific stuff.

I guess my thing is that while everyone always talks about how awesome it was that it wasn't just people fighting all the time and was instead anime dudes doing random stuff, it's actually totally about people fighting all the time.

I mean just looking at the chapters, like 80% of part 4 is spent on long as hell fights against stand users that take an entire volume or so, including a bit near the end where thefive loving volumes in a row are just "welp, I was walking down the street and it turns out that kira's dad made another stand user, now we have to fight I guess" between the odd couple chapters of kira doing stuff as a way to pad for time between the big reveal of kira's house and the ending. Part 3's breakneck pace in introducing stand users pre-egypt gets a lot of flak, but at least if you weren't feeling a fight you had solace in knowing it was over soon.

Literally nothing is at stake besides that part 4 gets to continue in these fights, it's not like other parts where winning will advance some sort of goal because the only good guys that actually give a poo poo about looking for akira/kira are jotaro and rohan who don't do anything, while everyone else would rather buy shoes or something. There's only four times in all of part 4 (besides ironically most of the bits involving kira, which as I said before are really well done) where "someone stumbled across a stand user while going about their boring day and now they must fight or whatever" isn't the plot, and that's italian food (four chapters out of 19 volumes), the ghost alley, the alien guy and koichi's boring as gently caress girlfriend who gets two goddamn volumes for some reason.

There's a difference between having a chill tone and having nothing happen, and it isn't helped that whenever part 4 actually feels like having a plot again it just raises all sorts of questions or is otherwise kinda underwhelming (again, outside of kira himself).

Overall it just felt like parts 1-3 were on some level planned from the start, while with part 4 araki just went "gently caress, I have this super popular series suddenly, what do I do now?" and just wrote whatever he felt like that week

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 13, 2014

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As was Speedwagon, though I wonder why he never used his crazy hat again.

After meeting Johnathon Speedwagon understood his position in life was as a cheerleader, and acted accordingly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know how Jonathan influences Poco to be brave, Joseph does the same with Smokey, and Jotaro kinda... inspires Anne I guess?

Josuke is basically the kind of guy who improves his town by making connections with the various people around it. It's basically a long part that shows what it'd be like for a Jojo to actually have a happy ending and they fight to protect it from guys who'd victimize the people in the hometown they care about.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know how Jonathan influences Poco to be brave, Joseph does the same with Smokey, and Jotaro kinda... inspires Anne I guess?

Josuke is basically the kind of guy who improves his town by making connections with the various people around it. It's basically a long part that shows what it'd be like for a Jojo to actually have a happy ending and they fight to protect it from guys who'd victimize the people in the hometown they care about.

it's still horseshit okuyasu survives getting a hole through his entire torso that vaporized all his internal organs because he didn't feel like dying then

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

darealkooky posted:

it's still horseshit okuyasu survives getting a hole through his entire torso that vaporized all his internal organs because he didn't feel like dying then

He was too dumb to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

darealkooky posted:

For a second, I thought you were talking to yourself. I was so confused.

• Locked thread