Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I would ask "What happened to the Liberals to make them this way? What forces of otherisation are preventing them from integrating?"

Just to go back to this garbage for a second, here's a quote from the piece I linked, which I'm starting to suspect you never read.

quote:

It is true that British Muslims are themselves frequently the victims of bigotry — just as in the US and across most of the Western world, especially since 9/11. They are often harassed by the police, denied jobs, and abused in the street, and they are forced to watch as our government senselessly incinerates many Muslims abroad. (I have written many articles detailing and deploring these ugly facts.) So gay people are naturally reluctant to pile in onto minority who are being oppressed. We are rightly sympathetic. We know what it is like to be treated like this. We instinctively respond with solidarity, not suspicion.

But this can easily morph into excuse-making. When there was a wave of vicious gay-bashings in Amsterdam by Morroccan immigrants — ending the city’s easy, hand-holding culture — the gay spokesman for Human Rights Watch, Scott Long, said: “There’s still an extraordinary degree of racism in Dutch society. Gays often becomes victims of this when immigrants retaliate for the inequities they have had to suffer.” What? How is it a “retaliation” to beat up a gay couple? What have they done to Muslims? What other human rights abuse would Human Rights Watch make excuses for? Would they say the Burmese junta beats dissidents in order to “retaliate for the inequities they have had to suffer”?

When gay people were cruelly oppressed, we didn’t form gangs to beat up other minorities. We organized democratically and appealed to our fellow citizens’ sense of decency. It’s patronizing — and authentically racist — to treat Muslims as if they are children, or animals, who can only react to their oppression by jeering at or attacking people who have done them no harm, and who they object to because of a book written in the sixth century. Muslims are human beings who can choose not to do this. The vast majority, of course, do not attack anyone. But they should go further. They should choose instead to see us as equal human beings, who live and love just like them, and do not deserve scorn and prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Hey the sword is the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of the Lord. The two commandments of Christ, from which all other laws derive, are love. Christianity is a very clumsy religion to use in comparisons because it demands complete self sacrifice in order to help others . There is no clause for self defense, or anything related to pride or honor. It actively discourages those emotions, in fact, as a barrier to spiritual enlightenment.

Christ teaches love and if you ever hear anything other than that you are hearing the human rather than the spiritual.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Of all the people to take a hardline stance against Islam I never expected it to be TOML.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What's the stats on devout Christians/Catholics being homophobic? I'm guessing we'd see a similarly high number as compared to the general population.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
structure agency

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

Of all the people to take a hardline stance against Islam I never expected it to be TOML.

What planet are you living on where what I'm taking is a hardline stance?

IWC made a post saying that often lefty progressives are super reluctant to criticise Islam and unthinkingly swallow the "Islam is a religion of peace" line. I said this is correct, and linked to a Johaan Hari piece in which it is shown that, in Britain, 58% of the general population thinks that homosexuality is acceptable, but literally ZERO PERCENT of Muslims do.

The piece was about the fact that the oppression of Muslims doesn't mean we shouldn't criticise the obviously terrible aspects of British Muslim culture (like the fact that LITERALLY ZERO PERCENT of British Muslims think homosexuality is acceptable).

It is kind of perfect that you are now turning around and responding to the suggestion that we should criticise the rampant homophobia of British Muslim culture by saying this is me "taking a hardline stance against Islam". I could hardly have asked for a better proof of Johaan Hari's point.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

It's the troll post that made me internet famous. You found it!*

Holy poo poo guys, I just noticed this string attached to the back of my neck. And Brown Note has been pulling it the whole time! Check yourselves!

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What's the stats on devout Christians/Catholics being homophobic? I'm guessing we'd see a similarly high number as compared to the general population.

yeah tbh the problem is any religious people, imo burn all religious people at the stake except for quakers and sufis they are pretty chill

although the 100% response rate against gay marriage is pretty loving extreme, depending on how you defined "christians/catholics" i would expect a 60-80% no rate

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Those On My Left posted:

What planet are you living on where what I'm taking is a hardline stance?

IWC made a post saying that often lefty progressives are super reluctant to criticise Islam and unthinkingly swallow the "Islam is a religion of peace" line. I said this is correct, and linked to a Johaan Hari piece in which it is shown that, in Britain, 58% of the general population thinks that homosexuality is acceptable, but literally ZERO PERCENT of Muslims do.

The piece was about the fact that the oppression of Muslims doesn't mean we shouldn't criticise the obviously terrible aspects of British Muslim culture (like the fact that LITERALLY ZERO PERCENT of British Muslims think homosexuality is acceptable).

It is kind of perfect that you are now turning around and responding to the suggestion that we should criticise the rampant homophobia of British Muslim culture by saying this is me "taking a hardline stance against Islam". I could hardly have asked for a better proof of Johaan Hari's point.

Well, considering homosexuality is a sin and a crime under Islamic law it's hardly surprising that they aren't OK with it. What did you expect them to say? It's no coincidence the acceptance of homosexuality has increased in the west as the influence of religion has declined.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

open24hours posted:

Well, considering homosexuality is a sin and a crime under Islamic law it's hardly surprising that they aren't OK with it. What did you expect them to say? It's no coincidence the acceptance of homosexuality has increased in the west as the influence of religion has declined.

which is kind of his point, muslim's shouldnt be beyond reproach but often are in lefty discourses

it's what i like to call the "fruity gordo" complex, if a group is a victim in any one way then they literally can't be criticised for anything at all

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Soag posted:

which is kind of his point, muslim's shouldnt be beyond reproach but often are in lefty discourses

Thank you Soag.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Of course they shouldn't be, but a criticism of their homophobia is a criticism of the religion itself.

Religions ought to be criticised, I'm just surprised to see it happening this way.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
lotta neat avatars popping up round these parts

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Quantum Mechanic posted:

lotta neat avatars popping up round these parts

Hah, yeah.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

Religions ought to be criticised, I'm just surprised to see it happening this way.

The discussion did essentially start with Islam v Christianity (starting with IWC) rather than Muslims vs Christians. Note the thrown around bible verses earlier. TOML's criticising the religion but using an example of it's adherents to do so.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

open24hours posted:

Of course they shouldn't be, but a criticism of their homophobia is a criticism of the religion itself.

This is the point that IWC brought up in the first place and what TOML was agreeing with. Often we are quite happy to maul Christians and Jews for abhorrent views but feel weird about applying the same standards to Muslims.

Edit: I guess the reason is that there is already so much over-the-top negativity coming from bigots that we don't want to be dog piling on top - even for valid criticisms.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They're actually the same problem though. If the people who are bigots about islam were running Australia (as in, had uncontested power), Australia would just be a christian version of ISIS (ethnic cleansing, death squads, the whole shebang). There's a lot of support for reaction within the muslim community, but your goal is to confront reaction and not 'islam' as a community or identity or whatever.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 13, 2014

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's a lot easier to decry Christianity because there's not many people doing so - it's enshrined in our Western culture (especially America) so it doesn't feel like picking on them or kicking them when their down to do so.

Islam however is demonised already by Western culture so people don't want to throw further stones by criticising them. However we should definitely be discussing the more problematic parts of any religion and shouldn't be afraid to do so. There's a difference between saying "Muslims are scum and are going to take over our country via jihad" and "Islam (and Christianity) teaches that homosexuality is wrong and that is bad".

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Treasurer Joe Hockey has warned Australians he may be forced to take "emergency action" and deliver Queensland-style austerity if structural budget reforms are not made.

And Mr Hockey has also suggested the proposed increase in fuel excise will not affect the less well off as much as high and middle income earners because "the poorest people either don't have cars or actually don't drive very far in many cases”.

And despite criticism over the government’s proposed changes over the pension, the Treasurer has also suggested "in net terms out of the budget, it is strongly arguable that pensioners are going to be better off" because the inflation rate is higher than average male weekly earnings at present.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Another successful IWC troll

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Jumpingmanjim posted:

He started a perfectly good discussion.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Freudian Slip posted:

This is the point that IWC brought up in the first place and what TOML was agreeing with. Often we are quite happy to maul Christians and Jews for abhorrent views but feel weird about applying the same standards to Muslims.

Edit: I guess the reason is that there is already so much over-the-top negativity coming from bigots that we don't want to be dog piling on top - even for valid criticisms.

Those On My Left posted:

If I posted a study that said "In Australia, 58% of people think homosexuality is acceptable, but 0% of Liberal Party candidates do", you wouldn't say "Wow, that's pretty damning of Australia". You'd ask exactly what the gently caress is wrong with the culture of the Liberal Party in Australia.

I guess this is what threw me. If your response to that article is to think 'What the gently caress is wrong with the culture of Muslims in England?' that seems pretty unhelpful.

What is 'wrong' with them is that they believe in a religion under which homosexuality is a sin. So, what is wrong with them is that their religion is wrong? Where can you go from there?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha ha "the fuel excise won't affect poor people because they're too poor to afford cars". gently caress off, Hockey. He must think that all cars are $50 000+ Beamers or something, having never had to get a $2000 rustbucket to get around in.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I've quite enjoyed the discussion it spawned, so yes, success!

EDIT: What the hell is going on with my spelling.

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 13, 2014

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

rudatron posted:

They're actually the same problem though. If the people who are bigots about islam were running Australia, Australia would just be a christian version of ISIS (ethnic cleansing, death squads, the whole shebang). There's a lot of support for reaction within the muslim community, but your goal is to confront reaction and not 'islam' as a community or identity or whatever.

not really, i dont know that most of the anti-islamic left actually want to kill them, they just want them to get out of australia

isis want to actually irl kill you

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Soag posted:

not really, i dont know that most of the anti-islamic left actually want to kill them, they just want them to get out of australia

This might have something to do with the fact that Syria and Iraq have been war zones for years.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

What is 'wrong' with them is that they believe in a religion under which homosexuality is a sin. So, what is wrong with them is that their religion is wrong? Where can you go from there?

Good question! As BB was saying (and even though it's anecdotal) all the Australian Muslims he knows have no problem with homosexuals. Even religions can shift with culture so if we continue to work on having homosexuality accepted in society at large, hopefully it will sway those whose religion says otherwise.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Poor people don't drive that much.

Now, let me tell you about the awesome new roads we're building!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Soag posted:

Ethnic fascism is the same wherever you go, if it's not suppressed then you get a rerun of poo poo like yugoslavia. Don't think for a second that the people who say terrible poo poo about muslims wouldn't looovve to get in on that murder-train, if they could get away with it.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Good question! As BB was saying (and even though it's anecdotal) all the Australian Muslims he knows have no problem with homosexuals. Even religions can shift with culture so if we continue to work on having homosexuality accepted in society at large, hopefully it will sway those whose religion says otherwise.

yeah this is my theory

culture determines religious disposition

if people grow up affluent-ish, in a society with low levels of inequality and high levels of tolerance and diversity, they'll end up choosing whatever is the happy interpretation of their religion

if they grow up poor and watching all english the toffs smoke cigars made out of money while their mum dies from cataracts they're probably going to be bitter and resentful and choose the the less-happy parts of their religion which say its ok to hate whitey

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Freudian Slip posted:

This, exactly. Until we deal with our own secular and Christian bigots and shut them the gently caress up, we can't really engage the bigotry of Moslems, because they will just shut off completely when you confront them as they'll perceive you as being in the same category. Help them out by first cutting the power to the "jihad jihad durka durkas are taking over/are jobs", they'll be a lot more receptive to dialogue after that's taken care of.

rudatron posted:

They're actually the same problem though. If the people who are bigots about islam were running Australia, Australia would just be a christian version of ISIS (ethnic cleansing, death squads, the whole shebang). There's a lot of support for reaction within the muslim community, but your goal is to confront reaction and not 'islam' as a community or identity or whatever.

Your use of the word confrontation inspired a different train of thought in me completely. I had been puzzled by the stream of comments from bigots about "Where are the Moslems speaking out against x, y or z", knowing as I did that even where such comments could be made (and indeed, sometimes are made) that they would just be ignored or handwaved away. But such bigots of course do not want their stated goals, but simply aren't getting the amount of confrontation they desire, and as such are trying to elicit it. They've been geared up by the Great Hate Machine and have no actual targets to vent on. It's probably a part of why I walk into a coffee shop in Raymond Terrace and watch the cafe owner storm out the back in a huff after angry words with his employee about how he "won't serve no Mossie scum" (although in that instance, I guess I'm just thankful he didn't try to hurt me).

You know what else? It's not just the Australian Muslims I know, it's even the immigrant workers (sometimes on short term 457s) I've worked alongside of over the years. I've honestly had my worst experiences of homophobia in rural and regional areas, ordinary Australian suburbs, from the mouths of whitey. Misogyny, too.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 13, 2014

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

two different issues here though, "acceptance of gays" and "gay marriage"

never g oing to get a majority of religous people to "accept gay marriage" even though they might (in theory) agree on equality

seriously ban religion

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

adamantium|wang posted:

Treasurer Joe Hockey has warned Australians he may be forced to take "emergency action" and deliver Queensland-style austerity if structural budget reforms are not made.

And Mr Hockey has also suggested the proposed increase in fuel excise will not affect the less well off as much as high and middle income earners because "the poorest people either don't have cars or actually don't drive very far in many cases”.

And despite criticism over the government’s proposed changes over the pension, the Treasurer has also suggested "in net terms out of the budget, it is strongly arguable that pensioners are going to be better off" because the inflation rate is higher than average male weekly earnings at present.
Wow, Hockey really wants to make sure this Abbott Government is an one termer. Surely he isn't that blinded to what public opinion is of his budget

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Maybe it will, but it's not the case now.

Is it is more important for our society to be accepting of Islam or to condemn homophobia? If we allow people to move here with the full knowledge that they are or are very likely to be homophobic it would seem that we are currently erring on the side of religious freedom. If we introduced some sort of 'homophobia test' that would presumably count as a form of religious persecution?

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
i would unironically be in favour of a homophobia test

put your hand on your heart and swear to your chosen deity that you believe gay people should be able to get married

or just make all the immigrant want to bes engage in homosexual acts while a customs officer watches on to make sure they're actually enjoying it and not just pretending

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Baumann?, another Newcastle MP at ICAC?

Newcastle Herald posted:

The Newcastle area recorded the greatest number of personal insolvencies (58) in the state for the three-month period, but it should be noted that it’s the most highly populated area surveyed by the authority.

The Upper Hunter, including Muswellbrook and Singleton, recorded the highest proportion of debtors in the state with one person entering insolvency for every 1147 residents in just three months.

The overall number of insolvencies for the broader Hunter region climbed slightly despite a 5.3 per cent fall across Regional NSW, a 13.6 per cent fall in the Sydney metropolitan area and a 10.1 per cent fall nationally.

Watch us Newcastle retards re-elect LNP, because jobs.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Sarah Gerathy ‏@sarahgerathy 1h

#ICAC Commiss telling it like 'tis: "I don't want 2bfacetious but nearly every witness we've had...has breached the electoral funding act."

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

open24hours posted:

Maybe it will, but it's not the case now.

Is it is more important for our society to be accepting of Islam or to condemn homophobia? If we allow people to move here with the full knowledge that they are or are very likely to be homophobic it would seem that we are currently erring on the side of religious freedom. If we introduced some sort of 'homophobia test' that would presumably count as a form of religious persecution?
That's not actually religious persecution, but it's dumb because people will just lie on a test like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If they lied on the test and were subsequently found to be homophobic they would be deported.

• Locked thread