Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

See my post just above yours. I'm drawing a distinction between fan fiction in the conventionally-understood sense (non-profit amateur work based off existing intellectual property), which has several factors actively preventing it from being good, even (in some ways, especially) when you try to convert your copyright-infringing hackwork into a more lawyer-friendly original piece, and officially-licensed expanded-universe stuff/works based on public-domain fiction, which do not have those obstacles (though, admittedly, expanded-universe works tend to have their own problems due to the heavy restrictions on tone and content typically imposed by the owner of the property).

Anyway, if anyone in this thread's claiming that there are great examples of fanfic in that first sense, I vote that they post 'em for our reading pleasure.

Yo dude a lot of the "public domain" stuff you're talking about wasn't actually public domain when the first fan stuff was written and published in it. That's where you're wrong as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Darth Walrus posted:

See my post just above yours. I'm drawing a distinction between fan fiction in the conventionally-understood sense (non-profit amateur work based off existing intellectual property), which has several factors actively preventing it from being good, even (in some ways, especially) when you try to convert your copyright-infringing hackwork into a more lawyer-friendly original piece, and officially-licensed expanded-universe stuff/works based on public-domain fiction, which do not have those obstacles (though, admittedly, expanded-universe works tend to have their own problems due to the heavy restrictions on tone and content typically imposed by the owner of the property).
Eh, OK, let's look at your assertions.

Darth Walrus posted:

First off, there's no filtering process, so Sturgeon's Law is in full effect.
So 95% of it is crap. 95% of everything is crap. Including published work. That's the Law.

Darth Walrus posted:

Second, you absolutely cannot make money from it. This means that pretty much all writers and editors good enough to make money from their work are doing that instead
AhahahaHAHAha. No. Barry Hughart gave up after 3 books because he couldn't get any more published, in spite of winning the World Fantasy Award with his first. Tanith Lee can only get small-press these days, and she's got a backlist back to the 70s. They're two particular favourites of mine, but being good at writing is no guarantee of publication or being able to make a living from writing. Especially these days.

Darth Walrus posted:

Writing and editing high-quality stories is difficult and time-consuming, and people need to eat.
Absolutely. So, since good writers can't necessarily make a living from writing, they'll go do something else to earn a living and maybe write in their spare time to satisfy their itch. It's even conceivable that, due to lack of time to write, some of them might write in a medium that doesn't require inventing the whole milieu from scratch and enjoy getting feedback and approval from a community of readers, even if it isn't as satisfying as getting paid for it.

Theoretically speaking, of course.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Fanfiction is really dumb IMO

quote:

The White Dog for an InuYasha Original Flavour fic.

quote:

Talya Firedancer's Gravitation fanfics were explicitly written to read like a typical script taken from the anime.

quote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion RE-TAKE has the same sort of occasionally Mind Screw-ey plot as the original Evangelion, the art is as good or BETTER than the canon source, the characters are all perfect, and the eventually happy ending is completely believable, taking into account the characters and the situation. Asuka fans consider it to be the true continuation and ending of End of Evangelion, while others feel conflicted about the plot direction it takes, particularly during the later stages of the story. Original Flavour may not always be a good thing, especially when it's based on an already divisive series.

quote:

The Ace Attorney sprite comic Kristoph Gavin: Ace Attorney does a very good job of emulating the original's style.
So does Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Case 5: Turnabout Substitution.
Often cited as one of the main sources of appeal of A Complete Turnabout, despite it being a Alternate Universe Fic.
Phoenix Wright: Adept Attorney, imagining the first game with Phoenix mentored by Redd White and partnered with April May.

quote:

The longer the Super Mario World romhacking scene sticks around, the more its participants rely on different graphics, new music, and unusual game mechanics in order to make their creations stand out from the pack. Return to Dinosaur Land, on the other hand, is a hack consisting almost entirely of levels that could have been in the original game. These sort of hacks are usually referred to as "vanilla" hacks by other members of the scene.

quote:

Some of the later works of JBERGES in the Futurama Fan Fic community read exactly like a canon episode, only with the science and math gags turned up to 11. Of Mice and Mensans is probably the best-written example, despite being Script Fic.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You know, one of the most important things in writing is to read your words to see if there's anything wrong. I'm trying to read these things out loud but my overbearing sense of shame for them puts that to a stop.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Runcible Cat posted:

Barry Hughart gave up after 3 books because he couldn't get any more published, in spite of winning the World Fantasy Award with his first.

Why would anyone reject a manuscript from him after Bridge of Birds :psyduck:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Solomonic posted:

Because publishers are dicks.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Because of this discussion, I went to see what TV Tropes had to say about a very highly regarded piece of fiction that makes use of pre-existing characters from another work and therefore could arguably be loosely described as fan fiction...

We don't have an article named Main/WideSargassoSea. If you want to start this new page, just click the edit button above.

Huh, how about that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I haven't seen it from Tropers, but I know people have taken "tropes" to mean "Bad writing device". Like I've seen classics like Lord of the Rings or Dune or Ringworld criticized because they rely upon a McGuffin, as if that's an inherently bad thing.

If there was no Ring, it would be 1200 pages of Fordo making tea. Its bizzare. Crappy stuff that tropers love like Deadpan Snarker and such, yea, those are lovely writing devices because they belong to lovely works, but stuff that is recognized by writing style manuals and such are not.

I get a kick out of turkey city lexicon, and I'd love to know how many of these tropers violate in a single page.
http://www.sfwa.org/2009/06/turkey-city-lexicon-a-primer-for-sf-workshops/

I also love their attack on over using writing conventions such as show, don't tell or Chekov's Gun/Squid on the mantel. Actually, the later I think generally people take way to seriously; Goons have shown they even fall into this, demanding why some minor thing or set dressing was not included in the story. Literally seeing a gun or a sword hanging on the wall in some characters quarters doesn't mean they'll be chopping people up at the end of the episode with it.

As for fanfiction, yea its poo poo, but I think the term sometimes gets applied to broadly. I've literally seen Goons say "The new Doctor Who/BSG is just fanfiction!" because the people who write it are fans of the origonal series. The implications of that is that people who professionally work on a legacy property shouldn't like it, shouldn't be fans of the show in anyway, because then they're just writing fanfiction!

Licensed works also fall into this. They've been around forever, and yea, a Star Wars novel or Warhammer novel are both using established worlds and characters to tell a story, like fanfiction, and they vary wildly in quality from piss poor to not too bad (with the odd really good cropping up here and there), but the fact they are products of a professional writer, and have the same quality control as editing as a regular novel, separates them form word vomit like FO:E.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
I believe one person linked this page from the Wayback Machine, but it's the most amazing thing, and describes why Tvtropes is such a hugbox: They can't do mocking correctly even when they tried. It's like the second most :stare: webpage ever made due to how much Tvtropes can switch between "eh, okay", :tvtropes:, plain terribad, and amazingbad.

Here are some decent examples, you know, if you exclude the tropers inability to express them without sounding like nerds who haven't taken any literature arts classes past middle school.

quote:

Most Anime sucks. Most of it is either too childish and nonsensical, or too serious and angsty. Only a precious handful of anime series have found the right balance between humor and darkness.

quote:

On a similar note, despite being a passionate atheist, I also hate Richard Dawkins. Good biologist, poo poo philosopher. He just goes about eveything in precisely the wrong way.

quote:

• Honestly, there's a really good reason for why Family Guy gets crap constantly: IT. loving. SUCKS! It isn't funny, despite its pathetic attempts to fool us into thinking its actually funny. It's not!
  • Before or after the un-cancellation? Afterwards, eugh, but before it had its merits.
  • The first three seasons were hilarious, after that it became absolute poo poo.
  • The show has taken a nose dive once Brain basically became Seth Mc Farlane's fursona.

There there's the tropers confessing their hate of classic literature:

quote:

I will never understand how half the stuff we had to read in high school English/AP Lit became "classics." Especially A Separate Peace, which is just loving boring despite the massive Ho Yay.

Then there's this:

quote:

• Most of the above complaints make me want to scream and tear your limbs off, but there's one thing I have to say: who keeps editing out the insults I throw at Wedding Peach? It is a misogynistic show, it is completely derivative and the writing is terrible. Who cares if the American magazine that bashed it only saw the first four episodes? That's the usual way reviews work, and let me tell you, it usually sets the tone for the rest of the series. I have spoken to fans of this thing about why the ideal for every girl in this show - not just the main character, not just some of the cast, but every girl, which takes out the personal choice bit - is to be a gentle bride. Her response? "The demon queen isn't a bride!" Yeah, and that's Unfortunate Implications right there.
  • I do that, and I'm going to complain about you. You obviously didn't watch the show, or didn't pay attention to it, because being a "gentle bride" is hardly ever spoken of in the show, let alone being the stated ideal. You just decided what the show was about, and even if you actually watched it, let that view colored what you saw. You suck. Try paying attention to the show. The ideal is true love, which is discussed a lot. Cheesy? Yes. Really, it's cheesy. But you are dumb for thinking it's something else. Dummy!
  • Oh, and the three main characters are all competent at their jobs. If that's misogynistic, Sailor Moon is a wife beater.

quote:

• Shredded Moose and FATAL are awful.
  • Awww, c'mon, man. You're not even trying. What fun is it to complain about something everybody hates? :P

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: A Separate Peace, which is just loving boring despite the massive Ho Yay.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
what the gently caress is Ho yay

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

twistedmentat posted:

As for fanfiction, yea its poo poo, but I think the term sometimes gets applied to broadly. I've literally seen Goons say "The new Doctor Who/BSG is just fanfiction!" because the people who write it are fans of the origonal series. The implications of that is that people who professionally work on a legacy property shouldn't like it, shouldn't be fans of the show in anyway, because then they're just writing fanfiction!

You're probably right that the term can be applied too broadly, but there's also definitely legacy work like this (as well as derivatives of public-domain material) that I would call "fanfiction" in the sense of prioritizing author fulfillment / raw fannish gratification over quality of writing or interest in developing novel or meaningful material. Writing Doctor Who is basically impossible without a thorough grounding and appreciation of the material, sure, but when you write an episode where the TARDIS's consciousness gets transferred into the body of a conveniently-dead sexy lady so the Doctor can express how much he loves it/her, that's fanfiction, even if Neil Gaiman is writing it and the BBC is filming it. Maybe it's good fanfiction -- maybe it satisfies you -- but it's the same goofy wish-fulfillment stuff that tropers and FF.netters have been churning out. (Gregory Maguire has also made a career out of writing fanfiction in a very old, unexciting mold, the "tell a story from a villain's perspective about how they're really right and cool," and Wicked in particular is filled with hoary old fanfic tropes.)

To tie this back to TV Tropes: one of the biggest problems with tropers' writing is this very fanfictional problem of prioritizing gratification over any other creative priority. Even when writing allegedly original material, they're fundamentally gratified by embodiment of the tropes they like best and emulation of the existing media they think is coolest.

EDIT 'cause I ain't doublepostin':

Samurai Quack posted:

"I can imagine these two dudes bangin' and am excited about the prospect." A common fandom response to, uh, any media with two dudes who interact in it, and sometimes stuff where they don't even interact.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Quack posted:

Things that might vaguely be construed as "tee hee these characters are so gay".

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Things that might vaguely be construed as "tee hee these characters are so gay".

Note that this isn't them using gay for insulting the characters. This is them praying that the characters are gay for each other.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's not really that big a stretch in A Separate Peace, but still. Only liking a classic because the main character might have homosexual interest in another is more than a bit sad.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Testekill posted:

Note that this isn't them using gay for insulting the characters. This is them praying that the characters are gay for each other.

And if it's a live action tv show or film, sometimes they pray the actors are gay for each other.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Leofish posted:

And if it's a live action tv show or film, sometimes they pray the actors are gay for each other.

And if they aren't, they'll make them gay for each in the real-person-fiction crossover collaborative fanfic they're writing. :v:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A Separate Peace is in an awkward position where it's usually read in middle schools because it's readable in middle school and the coming of age aspects make it seem appropriate for middle school, but it's understated enough that middle schoolers don't really get much out of it on their own, and middle school teachers don't do much to help them on that front because they're always more interested in making sure you read the book at all than in helping you appreciate it. I read it in middle school and didn't enjoy it except insofar as it was the only gay book they'd let us read, and I don't remember much beyond Gene's obvious crush on Finny and I think one of their friends going crazy in the army, but I think that's more a fault in middle-school-age-me and the school system than a failing in the book itself and I'd probably get more out of it if I reread it today.

ungulateman posted:

I know you're going to dismiss anything I suggest based on the fact that it's A: ponies and B: fanfiction (and hey, as far as baseless generalisations go those are pretty good ones), but sure. The Demesne of the Reluctant Twilight Sparkle is probably the best fanfic I've ever read and the only story I don't feel completely stupid for recommending on its own merits. Is it bad? Probably. Do I enjoy it? Yes.

Disclaimer: I am literally an autistic fan of a children's cartoon, so anything I say is dumb and wrong.

TRIP REPORT: This opens with a lengthy (several pages, would take several minutes if televised) conversation in which a single joke is repeated over and over: "I'm scared that something bad will happen today because today seems like a nice day." If that doesn't sound like much of a joke to you, try repeating it ten times and seeing what you think of it then. Nothing is actually happening in the story here, yet this scene gets dragged out for 2000 words.

The writing style is quite poor. Sentences are not difficult to parse, but don't scan well, feeling clunky and with no sense of flow. Though the grammar may not be below average by the extremely low standards of fanfiction, agreement errors start cropping up as early as the first paragraph, and with typos like missing quotation marks it doesn't seem to have been proofread very well, if at all. The writing style has a pervasive tone of ~so wacky you guys~ that, combined with the endlessly repeated single almost-a-joke, quickly becomes insufferable.

Got bored, so I scrolled down a bit. Princess Jesus is publishing main pony's research, which, despite presumably just being about how sharing with your friends is good or whatever, will supposedly "not only completely revolutionize everything from mining to medicine but herald entirely new scientific branches". Main girl finds this an unacceptable birthday present. So instead she is given some land to govern, because apparently she is a princess now? But this horrifies her because apparently being a princess isn't supposed to actually mean you rule anything, and the other princess starts talking about how much she loves democracy and how unelected rulers are bad.

Also, Princess Jesus wants to gently caress main girl. Still bored, skipped ahead a lot and now main girl has a secretary she wants to gently caress. The story seems to think "plot" (as in plot of land) is a double-entendre and uses this hilarious joke several times, but I don't get it.

Still bored, so I used Ctrl+F to find 30 instances of the word "whilst". That pretty much sums it up.

Overall rating: sucks, but too dull to mock. Lol that you thought this was worth choosing as your proof that pony fanfiction can be good, or indeed that this was worth reading at all.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 13, 2014

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Also, Princess Jesus wants to gently caress main girl. Still bored, skipped ahead a lot and now main girl has a secretary she wants to gently caress. The story seems to think "plot" (as in plot of land) is a double-entendre and uses this hilarious joke several times, but I don't get it.

I hate that I know this, but "plot" is used by bronies as a euphemism for "horse rear end."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Antivehicular posted:

I hate that I know this, but "plot" is used by bronies as a euphemism for "horse rear end."

I'd forgotten about that. I was looking for a real double-entendre; I didn't consider that it might be a brony-specific double entendre.

Well, here the ponies use it too, and they do it a lot, because the author really likes recycling jokes. And they all consider it such an obvious interpretation that they preemptively say "Get your mind out of the gutter" half the time they use the word plot.

Thank you ungulateman for your work in defending the noble art of fanfiction.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Antivehicular posted:

Doesn't that derive from a 4chan joke? I know I've seen .gifs from fanservicey anime with "plot" (boobs) and "backstory" (rear end) 'shopped in.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tarezax posted:

Doesn't that derive from a 4chan joke? I know I've seen .gifs from fanservicey anime with "plot" (boobs) and "backstory" (rear end) 'shopped in.
Yeah, "I watch My Little Pony for the plot" is the brony version of that old "I read Playboy for the articles" joke. Savor that for a bit.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 13, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah, "I watch My Little Pony for the plot" is the brony version of that old "I read Playboy for the articles" joke. Savor that for a bit.

Neighboy

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Tarezax posted:

Not sure if it derived from 4chan but yeah, it's a play on people who say that they watch fanservice-y stuff "for the plot" by saying calling fanservice "plot". Anime fans think it's way funnier than it actually is.

Edit: there are no examples of anime, manga or fan fiction on the "read it for the articles" trope page.

watho fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 13, 2014

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Solomonic posted:

"How are we supposed to promote this it's not heroic fantasy nobody's going to buy it anyway", apparently. Cretins.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

watho posted:

Not sure if it derived from 4chan but yeah, it's a play on people who say that they watch fanservice-y stuff "for the plot" by saying calling fanservice "plot". Anime fans think it's way funnier than it actually is.

Edit: there are no examples of anime, manga or fan fiction on the "read it for the articles" trope page.

They probably had to remove the examples.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Leofish posted:

They probably had to remove the examples.

Naturally, they were only cut for not fitting the trope (which is about fictional characters saying "I read it for the articles" about other things), not for being incredibly creepy. I guess they couldn't find any examples of actual anime characters saying this, presumably because anime characters are more likely to give grandiose speeches about how porn is a way of life or something.

The one I blackboxed is The Anime That Must Not Be Named, which is so bad that merely writing its name here is (or was) enough to get you banned. Apparently "explicit lolicon fanservice" is the official troperspeak term for what others would call "child pornography".

They cut more than just the anime examples, though:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Naturally, they were only cut for not fitting the trope (which is about fictional characters saying "I read it for the articles" about other things), not for being incredibly creepy. I guess they couldn't find any examples of actual anime characters saying this, presumably because anime characters are more likely to give grandiose speeches about how porn is a way of life or something.

The one I blackboxed is The Anime That Must Not Be Named, which is so bad that merely writing its name here is (or was) enough to get you banned. Apparently "explicit lolicon fanservice" is the official troperspeak term for what others would call "child pornography".

I'm sure wikipedia has a ton of smut on it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The page on "vagina" is the hottest poo poo ever, yo!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Better yet, whackin' it to Urban Dictionary. "Oh, yeah, tell me more about the donkey punch!"

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
When they reached Web Original, did they just decide to start listing anything that has articles (or even just words that explain things, in the last case) that people read? Did whoever did that section just massively miss the point and think the trope was actually just about reading things for articles?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

For the longest time, Wikipedia had a problem with exhibitionists taking self-shots and just uploading them onto Wikimedia Commons with tags like "Human Male Anus" or "Human Female Breasts." They've since had to make it very clear that they don't need pictures of your junk and are perfectly set on example pictures for articles, thank you very much.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Antivehicular posted:

Now I know it too, and I can never go back to not knowing it. So thanks for that.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Can't we just make it a bannable offense to mention a lot of other anime, though? Like for instance that Bill de Bill anime (it's better if you don't know what I'm talking about, but you probably do), that one with the cumvase quote, and any and all recent anime RPG series like that one with the console wars represented as little girls and anything else made by Idea Factory/Compile Heart or whatever.

I mean, it would effectively shut down ADTRW to just LoGH and JoJo and maybe AoT, but gently caress them anyway.

EDIT: For comedic effect, allow all the bannable names on the anime titty game thread on Games, or at least keep that open forever.

Byde fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 14, 2014

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Byde posted:

that one with the cumvase quote

So discussion of the Bachelor Chat thread is now bannable? Well, I've got no objections.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Watching It For the Plot: what you do when you've masturbated to something so much you've desensitized yourself to the fan service.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Byde posted:

Can't we just make it a bannable offense to mention a lot of other anime, though? Like for instance that Bill de Bill anime (it's better if you don't know what I'm talking about, but you probably do), that one with the cumvase quote, and any and all recent anime RPG series like that one with the console wars represented as little girls and anything else made by Idea Factory/Compile Heart or whatever.

I mean, it would effectively shut down ADTRW to just LoGH and JoJo and maybe AoT, but gently caress them anyway.

EDIT: For comedic effect, allow all the bannable names on the anime titty game thread on Games, or at least keep that open forever.

Make it a bannable offense to mention anything period. All discussion is off limits.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Antivehicular posted:

So discussion of the Bachelor Chat thread is now bannable? Well, I've got no objections.

I think they meant that image macro of Sword Art Online quoting some novel by the author about the villain releasing "two years' worth of semen" into the female lead.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I think they meant that image macro of Sword Art Online quoting some novel by the author about the villain releasing "two years' worth of semen" into the female lead.

It was actually the male lead, and if I have to suffer with this knowledge, then so do all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Yeah, while it's a really gross description, it's really just referring to "dude has been pining for this girl for literal years. Now they're having sex." I think that's on the very low end of things being wrong. It's just troper-esque "smoking his favourite joint" stuff, but with sex.

SAO (both anime and light novels) is bad for all sorts of other reasons though (incestuous crush and Dio the Rapist), but a hilariously gross description of two people having consensual sex that is only found in the novels written by a literal teenaged virgin is not it.

• Locked thread