Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was also a dev sponsored challenge for Dishonered on who could perform the most insane kill. The winner was some guy who used the force ability with the grenade to make an across map mortar shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

That poo poo looks so nuts but when I play it it's so obvious that that's not how you're supposed to play the combat feels so janky.

A whole game that was basically a Dishonored raging murder game without the jank would be amazing.

It's not janky at all. It's just limited in scope. The traps and skills, however, are fully expressed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sober posted:

Might be installed Free to Play games you don't technically 'own' until you buy a piece of DLC off the Steam Store so it counts towards your game total. At least, that's what it seems to be for me.

That could be it, all I have for it is that 1 cent set of tables from the steam sale. I have it under a category in my steam list, but also have 100 that aren't categorized, so it can't be that.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

Shame. I know literally nothing about Warhammer but picked up the whole series on a sale (oops).

I feel like there's another strategy game that I can't name that has a resource system like Dawn of War.

Company of Heroes?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I never felt the combat in Dishonored was janky and my first play through was a non stop stealthless murder spree.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

I never felt the combat in Dishonored was janky and my first play through was a non stop stealthless murder spree.

People call things janky now when they aren't good at it. My math tests back in high school were pretty janky. My yoga mat's pretty janky. Tetris is pretty janky.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 13, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you're going to be a murderbastard invest in good offensive skills. Rapidfire crossbows and those slashmines, shoving people around with wind blasts, summoning rat swarms, bending time to murder everyone before they can even react.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah wtf murder mode in Dishonered was great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owg5fS8IwZs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

People call things janky now when they aren't good at it. My math tests back in high school were pretty janky. My yoga mat's pretty janky. Tetris is pretty janky.

The swordplay when you didn't just kill everyone in slow-mo wasn't all that great, but the only real janky thing I can think of on the top of my head was how half the time going in for a stealth takedown from behind either had nothing happen or had you somehow shift in front of the guard a little bit, immediately alerting him and everyone else.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Acquire Currency! posted:

Yeah wtf murder mode in Dishonered was great.
The problem is that the game presents it as being wrong, and whether I like it or not, that bothers me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's no right or wrong, just more rats or less rats.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I can't quite remember how far I got into Dishonoured (I kept half-arsing between stealth and bloodbath) so I'm not sure whether I should start over or just pick up from my last save.

I enjoyed it but for whatever reason I stopped (probably because I picked up something else) and this discussion reminds me that I need to get back into it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The only odd things in Dishonored are the stealth AI and the typical Bethesda "emergent NPC conversations"

such as:

"Can this city get any worse?"
"INDEED I BELIEVE SO."

or

"Are we going out for drinks and cigars later?"
"INDEED I BELIEVE SO."

or

"Can someone get me a drink?"
"INDEED I BELIEVE SO."

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Maybe it's just because I'm naturally stingy with any even slightly limited resource, but I tried engaging enemies in direct swordplay and they seemed like serious damage sponges and the block button just seems to simply not have any effect half the time. :shrug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SynthOrange posted:

There's no right or wrong, just more rats or less rats.

Bad Rats.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also I finally got back to Call of Juarez Gunslinger and finished it. The key to maximizing fun in that game is to always be running and gunning all the time, like it's fuckin DOOM 2.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samurai Sanders posted:

The problem is that the game presents it as being wrong, and whether I like it or not, that bothers me.

How.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If games are truly set up for you to behave amorally (most of my favorites are) I have no problem slaughtering everything I see, but if you're presented as being an upstanding person from the beginning, like in this game, I have a hard time doing it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Do the bonus rats that spawn on high chaos make the levels harder, or are they just convenient corpse disposal areas?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

If games are truly set up for you to behave amorally (most of my favorites are) I have no problem slaughtering everything I see, but if you're presented as being an upstanding person from the beginning, like in this game, I have a hard time doing it.

How? You're the Queen's personal agent, Emily adores you, otherwise you're a blank slate and everything else aside from that flows on from your actions. Be a nice person, Emily's drawings are all flowers and roses around your face, be bloodthirsty and her drawings are of you standing atop a mountain of corpses :black101:

You've been framed, then imprisoned and tortured for months. You can justify any action you take after that intro.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 13, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

SelenicMartian posted:

Do the bonus rats that spawn on high chaos make the levels harder, or are they just convenient corpse disposal areas?

I didn't get too far into my high-chaos playthrough before switching to low-chaos, but in my experience they do make it more difficult. The rats swarm you and can make it more difficult to just get around. They're not too difficult, but they're something you have to actually take into account.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

In any game that encourages stealth in the least, a lot of people will feel like they're playing the wrong way if they don't play in a stealthy manner instead of using magical whale powers to kill people.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 13, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't you play a different dude in the DLC expanion(s)? A dude who is kind of specifically a murderous rear end in a top hat?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't you play a different dude in the DLC expanion(s)? A dude who is kind of specifically a murderous rear end in a top hat?

Yes. Yes you do. And it's amazing.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also I finally got back to Call of Juarez Gunslinger and finished it. The key to maximizing fun in that game is to always be running and gunning all the time, like it's fuckin DOOM 2.

I kept having a rough time with that game and I think it's because I put it on hard "for the challenge" and it turned what should have been dual wielding slow mo wild west funtimes into an absolute slog. I should turn the difficulty down and blast through it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I have the everything edition, maybe I should skip the rest of the main game and play as him. Is that possible?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have the everything edition, maybe I should skip the rest of the main game and play as him. Is that possible?

You can skip the main game and go straight to the dlc, but why? They're both great games. The DLC is just more of the same, but thankfully the same happens to be really loving good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

RBA Starblade posted:

The swordplay when you didn't just kill everyone in slow-mo wasn't all that great, but the only real janky thing I can think of on the top of my head was how half the time going in for a stealth takedown from behind either had nothing happen or had you somehow shift in front of the guard a little bit, immediately alerting him and everyone else.
The swordplay is not effective especially against a group of enemies because that was the game telling you not to do that. Open combat in Disonored is fantastic as long as you're using the whole arsenal you're given and change your position instead of pushing the purposefully boring direct sword fights. It's not the game's fault that you have 2 full ui wheels of weapons and superpowers that you refuse to use.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The game is kind of easy even on hard difficulty because how lethal your character is with even just your sword. Once you toss in your abilities and upgraded range weapons those guards don't stand a chance (and there aren't that many of them on any given map in the first place, especially given how fast you can murder everyone).

Is the DLC guy really potrayed as an murderous rear end in a top hat? I mean he's an assassin, yes, but his method and personality wasn't really touched on that much and he was all remorseful and seeking redemption in the main game and DLC, at least in my playthrough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I just heard the news about Tomb Raider's sequel not coming out on PC (even though it inevitably will) and that sucks, I was really looking forward to that game.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jerusalem posted:

Well I just heard the news about Tomb Raider's sequel not coming out on PC (even though it inevitably will) and that sucks, I was really looking forward to that game.

It will, just give it like 6 months or something.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 13, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

It will, just give it like 6 months or something.

Yeah I know, I just didn't want to wait!

I'm still waiting for my PC release of GTA V too :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

You didn't want to wait? You're going to have to wait a year before it'd even be released on XBOX.

You're going to forget about it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jerusalem posted:

In terms of it's taking too long or are you not aware they are releasing it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shindragon posted:

In terms of it's taking too long or are you not aware they are releasing it?

The former.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Palpek posted:

The swordplay is not effective especially against a group of enemies because that was the game telling you not to do that. Open combat in Disonored is fantastic as long as you're using the whole arsenal you're given and change your position instead of pushing the purposefully boring direct sword fights. It's not the game's fault that you have 2 full ui wheels of weapons and superpowers that you refuse to use.

Basically just watch the above linked video and all the other ones by that uploader and you'll get a handle on dishonored combat right quick.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm playing Smooth Operators right now and it's really annoying how this company has apparently never heard of stairs.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

A peek at the new Steam Store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Not particularly a fan of "All Things Flat".

• Locked thread