Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I really wish this one would be like Silent Hill 4 without all the broken bullshit.

That game had some great loving moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Wish in this Silent Hill you can go up on giant robots and punch some giant monster that personifies my nightmares. That would be extremely my poo poo right there.

And then you get stuck in the giant robot because guess what, it is also made out of your nightmares. Your nightmares of the Cold War, and of its hidden hands.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

mikeycp posted:

I really wish this one would be like Silent Hill 4 without all the broken bullshit.

That game had some great loving moments.

Definitely, I really liked 4 but it was really.. disappointing because of how much better it could have been. There were great moments and it had a very stark atmosphere which suited it well, but I never actually finished it. I got very close, just before the final boss I think, but then I got rid of my Xbox or something like that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I don't even remember how far I got. I may have to grab a copy now for my new old xbox.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I didn't hear anything about this in the thread, but Papers, Please was also announced at Gamescom as getting a PS4 and Vita port.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Lots of indie games announced and due out soon because they need to pad out PSN+ offerings somehow.
I'm just cynical I guess. Quirky, gimmicky indie overload. Give me my big fat shootermans dudebro bang-bang shooty tooty Michael Bay-bullshit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

timeandtide posted:

I didn't hear anything about this in the thread, but Papers, Please was also announced at Gamescom as getting a PS4 and Vita port.

All of these indie ports are making me a very happy PS4 owner. I'm not extremely into indie games but all the ones I care about (Hotline Miami, TBOI, Papers Please, quite a few more) are all getting released. I know there are complaints about too many indies and not enough AAAs but I don't think it's a one or the other deal and there are definitely lots of people who don't play PC games/use steam like myself who really appreciate these releases. Sony is going to have an insane library for basically anybody 2-3 years down the line.

e: wasn't aiming this at you zed :)

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Lots of indie games announced and due out soon because they need to pad out PSN+ offerings somehow.
I'm just cynical I guess. Quirky, gimmicky indie overload. Give me my big fat shootermans dudebro bang-bang shooty tooty Michael Bay-bullshit.

Papers, Please is "quirky, gimmicky"?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't believe Kojima went and did the Joakim Mogren trick with two games in a row. This time he couldn't bear to keep it going for more than a few hours (everyone would have worked it out by tomorrow anyway of course), but it's still such a fun way to reveal exciting things.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
The "indie backlash" I see from some people will never not be confusing as hell to me.

Yeah, less quirky games please. Quirky bad!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe it's based on some assumption that for every $100k or so to develop game that happens, there's a ten million dollar megaproject that doesn't?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
IGN now has Hotline Miami 2 listed for 8/19.

Not sure if that is accurate or not...

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Feenix posted:

IGN now has Hotline Miami 2 listed for 8/19.

Not sure if that is accurate or not...

I'm pretty sure there'd be more fanfare if accurate.

In either case i'm hyped about HM1 on PS4 even if it's coming on two years old. Perfect pick-up-and-play game.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Today I learned I am a coward who cant handle horror games.

That loving blue room ghost oh gently caress oh loving jesus gently caress.

I could feel the blood drained from my face and my spine/hands are tingly.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Like the Yakuza series, MGS is always about a careful balance of the melodramatic and the silly. I am ok with that.

I kind of feel like the box gag has gone a bit far, I love box-hiding as much as anyone, but peacewalker's box tanks .etc and now the stickers feel a bit tired. Then again I expect the stickers to be one of those side items that you can go a full playthrough without seeing or using. The soldier sticker seems like it could be pretty powerful, but then again daytime sneaking in GZ was pretty intense.

cat doter posted:

The "indie backlash" I see from some people will never not be confusing as hell to me.

Yeah, less quirky games please. Quirky bad!

Eh, I don't have backlash so much as weariness. I have seen and played so many "wacky" 2D pixel games, interactive stories with little gameplay, roguelikes-with-a-twist and whatever else that all indie games with minimalist styles floaty soundtracks and some gimmick have flooded together and I just can't care. Not that there aren't outliers that impress.

When I saw tomorrow's children though I was just thinking about a sandwich in my fridge. I could not bring myself to care. My money is on B-tier studios now. Moderate budgets and more freedom to express.

ImpAtom posted:

Shattered Memories is interesting but not really scary. The others are all kind of degrees of mediocre-to-lovely.

I actually think shattered memories is my least favorite, its just kind of silly. Homecoming is downright bad, but shattered memories seems worse to me somehow. Downpour was my favorite since 3, it was really cool, just horribly programmed and implemented. The design and writing were on point. (Except for the fake decisions) I like it though. More than I should probably.

Overall I thought PS4 had a good showing. Nothing that will sell the system, since I assume Silent Hills is not an exclusive, but other than that I think it easily justifies owning one. I feel like I have plenty coming up to keep me entertained. It was surprise, I don't usually expect that many announcements at a gamescom. but I am worried for my Vita now. Sony seems to be trying to forget the thing as much as possible.

Wow, after writing this I feel like I am just making GBS threads all over everything. I liked the presentation, I am excited.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

MrAptronym posted:

Eh, I don't have backlash so much as weariness. I have seen and played so many "wacky" 2D pixel games, interactive stories with little gameplay, roguelikes-with-a-twist and whatever else that all indie games with minimalist styles floaty soundtracks and some gimmick have flooded together and I just can't care. Not that there aren't outliers that impress.

When I saw tomorrow's children though I was just thinking about a sandwich in my fridge. I could not bring myself to care. My money is on B-tier studios now. Moderate budgets and more freedom to express.

Here's a dirty secret: most of those games are actually really good and fun. Sorry that you think homogeneous boring rear end AAA games are more important I guess. And I say that as someone that generally likes a lot of AAA games.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat doter posted:

Here's a dirty secret: most of those games are actually really good and fun. Sorry that you think homogeneous boring rear end AAA games are more important I guess. And I say that as someone that generally likes a lot of AAA games.

I too find myself THRILLED AS gently caress when games that have been out for over a year on the PC are announced for the PS4. 15 bucks for a game that was in a humble bundle a few months ago!? NEXT GEN BABY

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Good games are good games.

It's a shame Hohokum is having massive problems with the PS4 not working for tons of people including myself. All Sony support will do is give you a refund. Lame.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 13, 2014

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

cat doter posted:

I have played a lot of those games, and a few are fun. (I like Paper Please, though I don't get the hype. Risk of Rain was fun, I have been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer) Most are just a gimmick. My main point was that they are everywhere now. Look at the flood survival games or voxel games for instance, that's not creativity. A couple years ago it was nothing but shootmans, now its nothing but shootmans and indie games.

I just don't enjoy those games usually. They get a lot of press time now and its not something I personally like. Worse, on PS4, a lot of these are old games I have played. Years ago. I am not sure why you are being so angry about this. I don't like "homogeneous boring rear end AAA games" The last AAA titles I played were The Last of Us and Second Son, but mostly I player smaller studio titles. The choice is not just between CoD and some Finnish interactive drama about death. I don't just enjoy a game because its different, I like good games.

I am sorry people do not have the same taste as you and like different kinds of games. I know anything with a non-crowdsourced budget must be horribly depressing and harmful to you.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Just once I'd like to argue with someone on these stupid forums without being told I'm really angry because it's really dumb.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MrAptronym posted:

I have played a lot of those games, and a few are fun. (I like Paper Please, though I don't get the hype. Risk of Rain was fun, I have been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer) Most are just a gimmick. My main point was that they are everywhere now. Look at the flood survival games or voxel games for instance, that's not creativity. A couple years ago it was nothing but shootmans, now its nothing but shootmans and indie games.

I just don't enjoy those games usually. They get a lot of press time now and its not something I personally like. Worse, on PS4, a lot of these are old games I have played. Years ago. I am not sure why you are being so angry about this. I don't like "homogeneous boring rear end AAA games" The last AAA titles I played were The Last of Us and Second Son, but mostly I player smaller studio titles. The choice is not just between CoD and some Finnish interactive drama about death. I don't just enjoy a game because its different, I like good games.

I am sorry people do not have the same taste as you and like different kinds of games. I know anything with a non-crowdsourced budget must be horribly depressing and harmful to you.

more fun games is more good. not everyone plays every game on pc when it launches and many of the older ones will likely be give aways on ps+

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Good games are good games.

It's a shame Hohokum is having massive problems with the PS4 not working for tons of people including myself. All Sony support will do is give you a refund. Lame.

They didn't even give me a refund, they just said to wait a day because part of PSN is down and they are working to bring it up.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

cat doter posted:

Just once I'd like to argue with someone on these stupid forums without being told I'm really angry because it's really dumb.

Maybe you should stop being so angry all the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's a pretty safe assumption that no one is actually angry on the internet, so yeah, I agree that calling people angry is pretty dumb and doesn't add anything to discussions.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a pretty safe assumption that no one is actually angry on the internet, so yeah, I agree that calling people angry is pretty dumb and doesn't add anything to discussions.

cat doter posted:

Can I use the words derisive, contemptful or condescending? his/her comments are no better for me to discuss than calling them angry is for them. In any case I can assure you many people get angry about video games on the internet.

Look, my original point was that cat doter said the indie backlash was confusing. I was just explaining why I am getting sick of all the indie games. Its just a different set of games that are getting pushed by hype and style more than fun. I know a lot of people like these games and a lot of people are seeing them for the first time, I specifically stated this was my opinion.

EDIT: So "indie backlash" amounts to "Different people like different kinds of games"

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 13, 2014

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

MrAptronym posted:

It's just a dumb thing to complain about. It's a development model that by definition sits outside of and therefore coexists with the approach of the big studios. There's no meaningful competition between them for talent, or financial resources. And it makes it possible for people to try things that they couldn't or wouldn't have in the old days. Of course there are bad and derivative indie games, just like there are bad and derivative "AAA" games.

Edit:

MrAptronym posted:

Look, my original point was that cat doter said the indie backlash was confusing. I was just explaining why I am getting sick of all the indie games. Its just a different set of games that are getting pushed by hype and style more than fun. I know a lot of people like these games and a lot of people are seeing them for the first time, I specifically stated this was my opinion.

EDIT: So "indie backlash" amounts to "Different people like different kinds of games"

Yeah

Vinz Clortho fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 13, 2014

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
What bugs me about the "indie backlash" is how people genuinely seem to think that more smaller scale downloadable titles mean less AAA titles with ~next gen graphics~. It just doesn't. It's basically just more games and more choice.

If you cannot believe why someone would pay monies for a 2D title at this day and age, that's fine. Just don't start sperging about it on the internet, because there are big budget shootymans coming up as well. Making them just takes longer and much more resources.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
The PS4 lineup is looking awesome!

No news on The Witness? Has that game gone completely AWOL?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

MZ posted:

Now that you mention it, I've not heard anything about that game for *ages*. I hope thats just because its quietly being worked away on, and everything is on track; I am otherwise looking forward to it.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Follow That Fish! posted:

What bugs me about the "indie backlash" is how people genuinely seem to think that more smaller scale downloadable titles mean less AAA titles with ~next gen graphics~. It just doesn't. It's basically just more games and more choice.

If you cannot believe why someone would pay monies for a 2D title at this day and age, that's fine. Just don't start sperging about it on the internet, because there are big budget shootymans coming up as well. Making them just takes longer and much more resources.

For the record, I don't think that, and that is pretty dumb. Indie games are kind of a trend now. Good for PR and cheap to promote, but they make up a very very small percentage of the sales out there. (With a couple exceptions like minecraft, holy crap that game has sales)

I also guess I have a bigger problem with the subset of indie games they promote, not indie games altogether. I feel like a lot of the indie games they show were chosen by marketing for their similarities to popular indie games, not because they are particularly exceptional. (Also, a lot aren't indie. I mean, if you are published by Sony you are by definition not.) The ones they show look like their own cohesive genre, with a lot in common with each other. This doesn't really apply to popular games that are now getting a port. They already know people like those.

A lot of times these presentations feel like the Oscar Bait of video games. You can kind of check the boxes for what appealing artistic indie traits they posses to make the presenters look like they are in with the newest trends.

MZ posted:

Hasn't been in presentations, but their blog updated last month. Still truckin'. http://the-witness.net/news/

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

I'd agree that there are plenty of reasons to criticise particular "indie games" on their own terms. Tevis Thompson ripped into Limbo pretty convincingly (to me).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm always worried about "indie" of anything calcifying into its own genre with it's own restrictions on how it's portrayed and marketed, and yeah, sometimes I think that's happened to games too. Hopefully it's only temporary.

On the other hand though, AAA games are the same way. I think I prefer mid-range games for this reason.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 13, 2014

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

MZ posted:

They have a dev blog they update semi regularly: http://the-witness.net/news/

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the other hand though, AAA games are the same way. I think I prefer mid-range games for this reason.

I think the mid sized studios are in a good position. They have funding and experience, budgets are small enough to target an audience or take risks, and they don't really need to struggle to prove themselves the way some indie developers do. I think its a good combo that lets talented people make the games they want to; but also kind of a precarious position financially.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

MrAptronym posted:

For the record, I don't think that, and that is pretty dumb. Indie games are kind of a trend now. Good for PR and cheap to promote, but they make up a very very small percentage of the sales out there. (With a couple exceptions like minecraft, holy crap that game has sales)

Yeah, I wasn't directing that post to you really, more to the Twitch/PS blog comment crowd in general.

The thing is though, why shouldn't Sony devote some screen and marketing time for smaller games as well? Yes, they might not generate nearly as much in sales as successful AAA titles, but they are also way cheaper to produce. I would assume most indie titles that get viewed positively and succeed in the market do way better than just recoup their costs. Also, the AAA companies do most of their own marketing anyway.

I think the gaming market has shown that it does appreciate stuff outside of AAA titles. Just look at how successful (financially, at least...) some Kickstarters have been. No indie will ever generate the same amount of cash CoD does, but they don't need to. I think it's great that these days we have a lot of variety in what kinds of games get published.

quote:

I also guess I have a bigger problem with the subset of indie games they promote, not indie games altogether. I feel like a lot of the indie games they show were chosen by marketing for their similarities to popular indie games, not because they are particularly exceptional. (Also, a lot aren't indie. I mean, if you are published by Sony you are by definition not.)

Yes, indie game is a pretty illogical term in many cases, but since it has stuck, what can you do.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Unless they mix up the controls PP will be hell with a controller.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is probably a really dumb question coming from someone who has owned a PS3 for 6 years and bought a launch PS4, but how do trophies work? I've never really cared about them and I have no idea what to make of them.

My best guess is:

%= percent of people who have completed that trophy
x/4 dots=value of trophy
number and progress bar next to your name=?
trophy color is related to the dots and %?

I only started looking at these things a few days ago, because neither of my PS3's was actually capable of syncing them at any point. They seem way more confusing than Xbox achievements though.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Phantom Pain is Larry Holmes status now. Doesn't look nearly as good as it initially did. That's the price of cross-gen.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

NESguerilla posted:

This is probably a really dumb question coming from someone who has owned a PS3 for 6 years and bought a launch PS4, but how do trophies work? I've never really cared about them and I have no idea what to make of them.

My best guess is:

%= percent of people who have completed that trophy
x/4 dots=value of trophy
number and progress bar next to your name=?
trophy color is related to the dots and %?

I only started looking at these things a few days ago, because neither of my PS3's was actually capable of syncing them at any point. They seem way more confusing than Xbox achievements though.
The four dots is how rare it is based on how many people got it. Gold, Silver and Bronze are set by the game devs, same way Cheevos are 5 pioints, 10 points, etc. If you're referring to the % where it just shows the tile in the trophy list (i.e. Wolfenstein, 33%) that's the percent of trophies you have for that game. Other than that I have no idea what you're saying. Mind using an image?

neetengie fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

magimix posted:

Now that you mention it, I've not heard anything about that game for *ages*. I hope thats just because its quietly being worked away on, and everything is on track; I am otherwise looking forward to it.

Blow tweeted that there are like 700 puzzles in the game or something like that.

• Locked thread