Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dante posted:

Is it just me or did Dwarf Therapist remove Feed Patients/Prisoners from the Labours list in the update?

Yeah, I think it's not in the default list anymore, you have to turn it on in a customized view. Looks like it might get reverted, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
To memory, the "fix" for crossbow (and assorted ranged) dwarves is that you do the archery and barracks, as said, but also to just wait. Their prioritize getting sparring practice until they reach a certain level before working on their shooting abilities.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
So retiring and unretiring a site will leave most things in place, but it will shuffle around a few objects. Weirdly enough even built objects, because I had to restock the mayor's room with cabinets after unretiring. What also got shuffled around was the forgotten beast that was previously safely sealed in the first caverns and was now on the surface eating all the random merchants that had decided to hang around, including one of my civ's barons. It bit off on of my guy's arms, but otherwise didn't damage anything important and as soon as they drag its corpse to the pile we'll be eating giant turquoise beetle steaks for years. As with every important thing my military kills, it gets an engraved slab stuck in the barracks.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Dashticle posted:

Crossbow dwarves need:

1) an Archery Target, turned into a range, assigned to their squad.
2) a Barracks, i.e an armor stand or weapon rack, turned into a barracks, assigned to their squad
3) to be Active, and assigned to Train in the schedule

before they have any chance of firing off a few practice shots, and even then they do it pretty infrequently. I think the fact they need a regular barracks as well as an Archery range catches a lot of people out. Even if they have an Archery range assigned to them and are told to Train, they wont shoot at the range unless they have a barracks to gently caress around in too. Get all of these ducks lined up and you should see Urist firing off a few bolts at the range now and then.

AND ANOTHER THING:

Make sure the squad has available ammunition assigned to them.

AND

ONE

MORE

loving

THING

Delete all ammunition assigned to hunters! Your dumb dorfs won't use ammunition assigned to hunting for combat and vice versa.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Fargo Fukes posted:

Delete all ammunition assigned to hunters! Your dumb dorfs won't use ammunition assigned to hunting for combat and vice versa.

The default 100 bolts for hunting isn't that much, only 4 stacks of metal bolts, but if you don't plan on hunting you can do this too.

Another thing I do is specify 100 bone bolts for training and 250 metal for combat for each squad. Now that there's so much wood everywhere though it might be a good idea to use wood bolts instead of bone for training. But then again bowyer is pretty much a worthless profession while bone carvers decorate stuff too with the skill they get from making a ton of bolts.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Is there any way to keep them from filling their quivers with wooden bolts and one or two metal bolts so they go outside, miss a goblin, and are instantly useless?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Dashticle posted:

Crossbow dwarves need:

1) an Archery Target, turned into a range, assigned to their squad.
2) a Barracks, i.e an armor stand or weapon rack, turned into a barracks, assigned to their squad
3) to be Active, and assigned to Train in the schedule

before they have any chance of firing off a few practice shots, and even then they do it pretty infrequently. I think the fact they need a regular barracks as well as an Archery range catches a lot of people out. Even if they have an Archery range assigned to them and are told to Train, they wont shoot at the range unless they have a barracks to gently caress around in too. Get all of these ducks lined up and you should see Urist firing off a few bolts at the range now and then.

I think also part of it is that I've seen basically every possible set of instructions for this (including that they only train when set to Inactive) and that there are a few known bugs with Crossbow training already (training ammo vs. war ammo, for instance).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I've had dramatically more success getting dwarves to ACTUALLY PRACTICE THEIR ARCHERY by specifically NOT setting the crossbow squad to be active. Seriously, try it - my range is busy as can be as long as the marksdwarves do not have any other labours enabled. As an added bonus, the only non-archery practice they can do while inactive is Individual combat drill - no useless Kicking Demonstration bullshit.

e: Also, make sure every single archery target is designated as an archery range. Spare ones do not "count" when the dwarves check to see if the range is available for practice.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 12, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Apropos ammochat: how do people work around http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4530 ? It seems annoying, though I've only had it hit me once so far.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ProfessorGroove posted:

The default 100 bolts for hunting isn't that much, only 4 stacks of metal bolts, but if you don't plan on hunting you can do this too.

Another thing I do is specify 100 bone bolts for training and 250 metal for combat for each squad. Now that there's so much wood everywhere though it might be a good idea to use wood bolts instead of bone for training. But then again bowyer is pretty much a worthless profession while bone carvers decorate stuff too with the skill they get from making a ton of bolts.
Aren't wooden bolts made by woodcrafters?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

ProfessorGroove posted:

Admittedly it's a more important piece of advice for anyone playing Masterwork (and other mods?) that automatically assign way more ammunition to squads/hunters.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

tonberrytoby posted:

Aren't wooden bolts made by woodcrafters?

Maybe it's been so long since I've made them since I'm in the habit of using bone I just assumed it's the bowyer. Woodcrafters are slightly more useful than bowyers at least.

atomicthumbs posted:

Is there any way to keep them from filling their quivers with wooden bolts and one or two metal bolts so they go outside, miss a goblin, and are instantly useless?
Probably the best is to melt down individual bolts you pick back up so they only have full stacks to put in their quivers.

edit: I was wondering why they get hung up on single bolts and looked at the wiki, I think this is why "In adventurer mode, arrows and bolts picked up from the ground will automatically be placed in the first quiver worn, which can hold any amount of these ammo types. If filled with the put command, it can hold up to an indeterminate limit of combined items. For examples: a quiver can hold 20 5lb raw or sharpened rocks, or 20 1lb bolts and arrows, but only two weapons or three articles of clothing of any combined weight." So if it works the same in fortress mode and they have a stack of training bolts and a single metal bolt that was picked up after battle they can't hold anymore.

ProfessorGroove fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 12, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Moridin920 posted:

Masterwork got an update to include 'Hermit' mode.

Looks pretty fun.

Sounds neat, what are the details?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I just make a metric gently caress-ton of bolts and let god sort them out. Nobody hunts because that is a waste of dorfs that know how to shoot.

That thing about dwarven inbreeding is horrifying.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's the threads opinion about the Genesis mod?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I found a way to get archers to practice. There is a ghost parked in my main crossroads, and the hunters and marksdwarfs are shooting at it. How? Why? :psydwarf: They aren't hitting it, of course, but that doesn't seem to matter. It is also surrounded by war dogs and soldiers, while everyone else refuses to get within 30 tiles of it.

I think the problem is that it is a hostile dwarf ghost. It is from a "goblin" vile force of darkness that had no goblins. When they died the dwarfs in the party didn't get sent to the refuse pile, but to the rarely used (y) Corpses stockpile. Usually only friendlies get sent to the graveyard, bodies lingering there means I need more coffins. Except this dwarf can't be put in a coffin, because he's hostile. He doesn't show up on the slab engrave list either.

And of course the first few idiots that saw him dropped what they were carrying, so all the doors in the area are propped open and everyone is freaking out.

Anyone else seen this?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Masterwork got an update to include 'Hermit' mode.

Looks pretty fun.
Oooh. That sounds like it could be interesting.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

I found a way to get archers to practice. There is a ghost parked in my main crossroads, and the hunters and marksdwarfs are shooting at it. How? Why? :psydwarf: They aren't hitting it, of course, but that doesn't seem to matter. It is also surrounded by war dogs and soldiers, while everyone else refuses to get within 30 tiles of it.

I think the problem is that it is a hostile dwarf ghost. It is from a "goblin" vile force of darkness that had no goblins. When they died the dwarfs in the party didn't get sent to the refuse pile, but to the rarely used (y) Corpses stockpile. Usually only friendlies get sent to the graveyard, bodies lingering there means I need more coffins. Except this dwarf can't be put in a coffin, because he's hostile. He doesn't show up on the slab engrave list either.

And of course the first few idiots that saw him dropped what they were carrying, so all the doors in the area are propped open and everyone is freaking out.

Anyone else seen this?

You got lucky. My hostile dwarf ghost materialized in my dining room. I had to abandon and reclaim.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dragon_pamcake posted:

You got lucky. My hostile dwarf ghost materialized in my dining room. I had to abandon and reclaim.

I guess the strategy here is to try to catch the hostile dwarfs in cage traps, and then just ignore them? If they can't die, they can't haunt.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Just found a vampire in my fort who the people immediately elected mayor. Trying to decide if the death toll (around a body per year) is an acceptable loss. Kind of like the thought of keeping him around as a full time civil servant.

Also learned that many of my haulers would rather portage mine-carts than boot them down the tracks. Only sometimes though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The outpost Liaison from my home civilization is a goblin. I just got to the fall of my first year and when the dwarf caravan showed up it declared that the goblin liaison had arrived and I was very confused for a moment.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

ghetto wormhole posted:

The outpost Liaison from my home civilization is a goblin. I just got to the fall of my first year and when the dwarf caravan showed up it declared that the goblin liaison had arrived and I was very confused for a moment.

It used to be possible (and it probably still is) to gen an incredibly tame world where everyone ends up friendly, and thus the goblins will show up to trade with you.

I've embarked on a volcano in a tundra. There is no water,period. I guess the gameplan here is plump helmets all day everyday. One day I want to do a sober fortress.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A White Guy posted:

It used to be possible (and it probably still is) to gen an incredibly tame world where everyone ends up friendly, and thus the goblins will show up to trade with you.

I've embarked on a volcano in a tundra. There is no water,period. I guess the gameplan here is plump helmets all day everyday. One day I want to do a sober fortress.

You can melt ice with magma. It's a really bad idea, but you can do it. The ice multiplies. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Glacier#Volcanoes_and_Glaciers

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I noticed a dwarf was very unhappy and checked out his mood too see why "He suffered through his spouse's miscarriage recently" haha what? Is that new?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ProfessorGroove posted:

I noticed a dwarf was very unhappy and checked out his mood too see why "He suffered through his spouse's miscarriage recently" haha what? Is that new?

If a pregnant dwarf sleeps on the ground she can have a miscarriage. loss.jpg

edit: oh the wiki says it only happens if they get starving, dehydrated or injured. Huh, I could of sworn it was related to sleeping on the ground. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Miscarriage

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Angela Christine posted:

If a pregnant dwarf sleeps on the ground she can have a miscarriage. loss.jpg

edit: oh the wiki says it only happens if they get starving, dehydrated or injured. Huh, I could of sworn it was related to sleeping on the ground. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Miscarriage

Never had seen that before. Strangely his wife appears to be missing, and it's a dwarf when I saw the message I had no idea what had happened. It was quite awhile after the others missing from being kicked into the magma forges by a forgotten beast were announced so I don't think that was it. I haven't gotten a migrant wave for awhile either so I don't think its a vampire just starting to kill people now. Oh well, life goes for Stodir the marksdwarf.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a pretty :smith: story about that earlier in thread.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Angela Christine posted:

You can melt ice with magma. It's a really bad idea, but you can do it. The ice multiplies. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Glacier#Volcanoes_and_Glaciers

That's the problem - there is no ice. It's basically a volcano in a hill, and that's about it.

Still going good so far. I've got so much gold that I'm literally making bins out of the stuff. Solid-gold bins :allears:.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Well I got a Werebeaver dwarf now to add to my Weregecko one, both are walled into adjacent hospital beds. Bizarrely, the new Werebeaver got a strange mood while walled in a critically injured, and it's absolutely murdered my FPS (probably something to do with repeated ko checks and pathing fails), so he needs to die.

I'm trying to mine in underneath them so I can make them fight on the next full moon without getting the hospital all bloodied :black101:, but it's taking forever due to FPS crawl. Still though, love this game.

edit: he went into beaver form but is still showing as in the mood and my FPS is still stuck at 4. Its really frustrating, but does that mean that a werecreature dwarf in a mood would still try to make his object?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 13, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
So during the first winter two necromancers showed up with 35 undead in tow. I was obviously not prepared! They shredded my tiny military almost immediately(though they managed to chase the necromancers off the map!) After that it was either wait to starve in a couple seasons or open the gates and welcome (un)death.

Guess I'll never be embarking within range of a tower ever again!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ghetto wormhole posted:

So during the first winter two necromancers showed up with 35 undead in tow. I was obviously not prepared! They shredded my tiny military almost immediately(though they managed to chase the necromancers off the map!) After that it was either wait to starve in a couple seasons or open the gates and welcome (un)death.

Guess I'll never be embarking within range of a tower ever again!

Yeah, I'm not finding necromancers fun right now. If they bring even a single armed and armored zombie there is basically nothing you can do the first year. It might be a fun challenge in adventure mode, but in fortress mode it isn't fun at all.

So when a I gen a new world I set "secrets" to none. No secrets, no necromancers.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, I'm not finding necromancers fun right now. If they bring even a single armed and armored zombie there is basically nothing you can do the first year. It might be a fun challenge in adventure mode, but in fortress mode it isn't fun at all.

So when a I gen a new world I set "secrets" to none. No secrets, no necromancers.

Uh, is there a way I can use the basic world generator and also change secrets to zero because I just looked at the advanced parameters and holy poo poo

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I also just started a new fort in a freezing tundra volcano and managed to get a necromancer invasion in year 2. Fortunately I prioritised my magma death trap constructions over sensible things like farming

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So masterwork did a neat thing in the newest update. It's a new race where you play as only one character. Sort of like advfort in Masterwork but with a crazy old man and indirect control of him. Seems like a neat challenge, and i'm guessing if it's a race you can find random hermits in the world now.

quote:

The Hermit. This is the sole addition of the update, I did not change any content on any other race, manual or utility. The GUI had the liquid spawner and clay oven buttons fixed by Splinterz, as well as a selection for the hermit added.

But what is the hermit? Its a single-unit race intended for fort mode. You control a single person, who has to start a new life. Since I cant delete the 7 units at embark and the first 2 migrant waves are hardcoded, I found another solution: They are figments of your hermit's imagination. They transform into hallucinations, which die instantly, since your hermit realizes that they are not real. Since ghosts are also hardcoded and would appear if they are not buried, they do leave a "past regrets" item that can be buried. Very philosophical here, your hermit has to bury the regrets of his past self, otherwise they will haunt him.

After that is done, you have to worry about surival. You need food, drink, shelter. Weapons and Armor. For this the hermit has a large selection of very tiny workshops, 2x2 in the most cases. See the cheatsheet:
(removed)

Its mostly smaller versions of the normal MDF workshops you are used to. They dont offer quite as many items as in dwarf mode. A few are brand new, like the Sundail, and other are from humans or gnomes. See the manual for more info.

A unique feature of the hermit mode are two hardcoded, timed events. After 2 years in the game your hermit will create an imaginary friend, Bob. He will help you with labors and save you from harm. After 3 years in the game your hermit will stumble upon a mysterious talisman, which will unlock the magic altars, but only one of them. It is also valuable enough to attract sieges, so your life will become more interesting. You can either become a Necromancer, a Conjurer or a Mage with it. Of course being a devout hermit that prays at his house shrine, or a nature-loving hermit with a high druid merit will also help.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 13, 2014

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I really wish dwarves get their testicles back soon. I'm itching to start that .40.x LP and I don't think it'll be interesting to write about dwarves just seizing up at the sight of dead vermin.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Danny Glands posted:

I really wish dwarves get their testicles back soon. I'm itching to start that .40.x LP and I don't think it'll be interesting to write about dwarves just seizing up at the sight of dead vermin.

I took your first sentence 100% literally for the longest time.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Danny Glands posted:

Alternatively, you roll with it and play it perfectly straight that all dwarves are cowering wusses until they see their fiftieth dead body.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Militia drills also include Discipline as part of the skill curriculum.

oh dang, there's also a devlog:

Toady One posted:

Yesterday's temperatures didn't allow for sleep, so today was lackluster, but here are a few things I managed.

• Fixed problem causing underground animals to be placed beyond their number (and then replaced at the higher number, and so on)
  • Fixed an error causing nearby site maps to be offloaded too often
  • Made hill dwarf sites put animals in pastures properly
  • Made animals not placed in pasture/waste/yard get placed even if their preferred type isn't available

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 13, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Archonex posted:

So masterwork did a neat thing in the newest update. It's a new race where you play as only one character. Sort of like advfort in Masterwork but with a crazy old man and indirect control of him. Seems like a neat challenge, and i'm guessing if it's a race you can find random hermits in the world now.

That sounds absolutely loving awesome :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fall rolled around, the dwarven caravan showed up, and I got the message, "No outpost liaison? That's curious..." or something to that effect. What gives? Is there no mountainhome or something?