Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A friend of my father's landed gear-up in a C-2 once. Those are basically flying delivery trucks. They promoted her, moved her to P-3s (I guess so she could have the chance to crash something more expensive), and she retired a rank higher than my father.

I love flying but I've hated the few times I've had to take a C2 ride to or from the boat. No ejection seat, surrounded by a bunch of people who have no idea how to react if it ends up in the water. I always sit right underneath the escape hatch that is in the roof. I figured I probably had the best chance of actually getting to it and getting it open since it's something we practice in water survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think I'd make a good pilot in the sense that I'm good at checklist like tasks and at noticing small details, but I'm afraid of transposing numbers in my head even if I were to read them back correctly.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"The three pilots in the cockpit had a combined 10,000 hours of flying time in the C-5, and were backed by two flight engineers with a combined 12,000 hours in the air. All of the crew members were offered the opportunity to speak to reporters and all declined, according to Dover Air Force Base spokeswoman Lt. Col. Cheryl Law."

The article didn't give their ages. But you don't accrue ~3,333 on-type flying hours as a newbie.

While we're talking about massive Air Force fuckups, might as well mention the B-1 that landed at Diego Garcia gear up because "long flight" and "landing checklists are hard, mkay?"

This picture's actually better, since it kinda looks like the BONE's got one of those old-timey 'head bandage' sling-looking things after having a tooth pulled (or use a 'duct tape' meme):

Godholio posted:

They didn't land gear-up, they came down short of the runway because they idled the wrong engine and only had 2 running instead of the 3 they thought.

Edit: The C-5. And I guess they probably had the gear up, but that wasn't really the main problem.

I think they're talking about the gear-up B1 landing, pictures above ^

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Ferret King posted:

I think they're talking about the gear-up B1 landing, pictures above ^

Or the C-17 gear-up landing at BAF (what should've been a write-off was only averted through a Boeing depot team and a couple months of work)...or the C-17 landing at the wrong airport...or Sitka 43.

Although in fairness there were (are?) bigger issues at play within the C-17 community than just some poor CRM.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

My PPL instructor hounded me the MUFF* check into so much that I still had it run through my mind when leveling out on final a few hundred hours later. I was many hundreds of hours less than those professional guys, though.

After my getting my PPL, I think a notable part for the flight school I then went to going bankrupt was due to 2 of their complex trainers being belly landed. I wish I'd stuck with the first school...

*(Mixture, Undercarriage, Flaps: Final)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

The enemy is over-familiarity, it seems. Firstly, familiarity with procedure, and after they were introduced, familiarity with the checklist. The second obviously takes a lot longer than the first to become over-familiar with, and indeed catches the mistakes of the first issue most of the time, but no system is ever perfect.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

simplefish posted:

The enemy is over-familiarity, it seems. Firstly, familiarity with procedure, and after they were introduced, familiarity with the checklist. The second obviously takes a lot longer than the first to become over-familiar with, and indeed catches the mistakes of the first issue most of the time, but no system is ever perfect.

The enemy is not necessarily familiarity, but complacency. You do the same thing so many times that you expect the aircraft to do *this* when you do *that* or that everything is going to work the way it always has.

I say this without a single hour behind a stick but it applies to everything. Once you even get the tiniest hunch something is out of place you need to go on full alert and double-check EVERYTHING.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

rockopete posted:

It's being retired?

I've lived within 10 miles of Stewart ANG my entire life, they recently switched to the C-17 and shipped out their C-5's.... so after ~30 years I don't hear that roar anymore :smith:

I work across the street from Stewart and a few months ago a C-5 came in for whatever. Everyone, who a few years prior would've ignored it, stopped and watched it land, it was pretty cool to see non-aviation people do that.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

The enemy is not necessarily familiarity, but complacency. You do the same thing so many times that you expect the aircraft to do *this* when you do *that* or that everything is going to work the way it always has.

I say this without a single hour behind a stick but it applies to everything. Once you even get the tiniest hunch something is out of place you need to go on full alert and double-check EVERYTHING.

This is what happens with seasoned guys. You become comfortable, then confident, then complacent and the junior guy in the cockpit convinces himself "well this guy knows what he's doing" and there ya go.

Dual engine military helicopters will get hot gas (blades turning during refuel) with the engine closest to the nozzle pulled back to idle. I've known more than one senior, 2000+ hour pilot who got the one overtorque of their career by getting in a rush, taking on 2000lbs of gas, then trying to yank out of the refuel pad single engine because they skipped checking that both power levers were at Fly.

Fixed gear for life!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
As a flight instructor, I hate when students opt for long straight in finals as opposed to a nice patten entry. Why? The judgement on "when" to do the GUMPS* check and slow the airplane down is hard for them.

Obviously they learn it in time, but I refuse to do the long straight ins on my Mooney with retractable gear.

I always opt for a right base or left base (or even make a small one to give myself familiarity and time to process).

Hell, the day before I sent a student for his private checkride, he did a landing with zero flaps completely unintentional. Why? Because I got him out of sequence.

It happens to everyone, unfortunately.

*GAS UNDERCARRIAGE MIXTURE PROP SWITCHES

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YffmapFxt0M

The beeping sound is the gear warning horn, triggered by a low power setting with the gear handle in the up position.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CharlesM posted:

I think I'd make a good pilot in the sense that I'm good at checklist like tasks and at noticing small details, but I'm afraid of transposing numbers in my head even if I were to read them back correctly.

Now do this repeatedly for years while tired, on deployment, flying with various crew mix-ups, in bad weather, during an emergency, when radios are blowing up, with inattentive pilots, etc.

Mistakes happen. I drat near caused an E-3 to plow into the ground because I just overlooked a simple checklist item. Good thing I was flying with a godly pilot who knew what happened. Not my finest moment. poo poo happens.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MrYenko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YffmapFxt0M

The beeping sound is the gear warning horn, triggered by a low power setting with the gear handle in the up position.

Were they doing an intentional belly landing? They look singularly unconcerned about it.

Alarm beepers drive me absolutely nuts, I have to find a way to make them stop before I can do anything else. Of course in the marine world, all you need to do for 90% of them is find the right "ALAM ACK" button. (There's a lot of stupid alarms you don't need to worry about, which is dangerous because it makes the important ones that much more likely to be ignored.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FrozenVent posted:

Were they doing an intentional belly landing? They look singularly unconcerned about it.

Alarm beepers drive me absolutely nuts, I have to find a way to make them stop before I can do anything else. Of course in the marine world, all you need to do for 90% of them is find the right "ALAM ACK" button. (There's a lot of stupid alarms you don't need to worry about, which is dangerous because it makes the important ones that much more likely to be ignored.)

Watch a few episodes of Air Disasters on Smithsonian. It's amazing how many of those accidents could be avoided if people actually paid attention to the alarms they heard. A lot of time they intentionally ignore them or get fixated on something else and they are pushed out of the consciousness.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

The problem is that every aircraft that beeps when the throttle is below 1/3 and the gear is up, simply trains you to ignore the beeper because it's 'always going off when I'm descending'. Which is pretty much exactly what you said about 'stupid alarms'.

That said, short of adding a radar altimeter, I'm not sure how you could make the gear up warning more useful.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rockopete posted:

The Chinook and C-130 fuselage, god drat.

The C-17 can do the former, probably not the latter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FrozenVent posted:

No, its simply an excellent example of human factors. Humans can get accustomed to all sorts of things that aren't necessarily normal. In this case, they became so used to the gear alarm going off during the descent, that they simply tuned it out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

holocaust bloopers posted:

Now do this repeatedly for years while tired, on deployment, flying with various crew mix-ups, in bad weather, during an emergency, when radios are blowing up, with inattentive pilots, etc.

Mistakes happen. I drat near caused an E-3 to plow into the ground because I just overlooked a simple checklist item. Good thing I was flying with a godly pilot who knew what happened. Not my finest moment. poo poo happens.

Yeah I know. Sometimes I think about the perception of pilots an doctors and how we sort of think of them as supermen, but then I realize they're human just like me. Probably a fair number of them might be stupider than me, too. I'm a good defensive driver but I've made mistakes before! I kinda look forward to when we can reliably have computers drive and fly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Interesting to see doctors pop up in this discussion. Yesterday a coworker's mom died after a doc nicked her spleen during hip surgery or something and she bled to death. It really doesn't take much to gently caress things up pretty badly in some careers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Pilot's arm came off while landing" is probably not something you want to hear about your flight:

quote:

A pilot lost control of a passenger plane after his artificial arm became detached as he was coming in to land, an accident report has said.

The Flybe flight from Birmingham, with 47 passengers on board, was approaching Belfast City Airport in gusty conditions on 12 February.

It landed heavily but no-one was hurt and the plane was not damaged.

The pilot said he would be more cautious in future about checking his attachment, according to the report.

In a statement, Flybe said the senior captain was one of its "most experienced and trusted pilots", and the safety of passengers and crew had not been compromised in any way.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28778728

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

mobby_6kl posted:

"Pilot's arm came off while landing" is probably not something you want to hear about your flight:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28778728

I can only picture the pilot with an eye patch too

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Where the passengers up in arms about this?

Superuser008
Feb 7, 2011
Did any of the passengers lend a hand?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve heard of short‐handed flight crews, but that’s just ridiculous.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Bet he didn't clap after landing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm glad no one was hurt, because I was laughing pretty hard after the first sentence.

um, arm pun.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

The Pilot posted:

I'll give up control of this plane when you pry it from my cold, dead hand.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Man, and I thought my instructor was being harsh when he told me I couldn't fly my plane one handed.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
The tension in the cockpit after that landing was quickly diffused by the co-pilot's disarming smile.

I want to say that one arm-ed-ness might be a legitimate disqualification for commercial airline pilots. But I hope it doesn't become one, because I'd fly with that guy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, and I thought my instructor was being harsh when he told me I couldn't fly my plane one handed.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hermsgervørden posted:

The tension in the cockpit after that landing was quickly diffused by the co-pilot's disarming smile.

I want to say that one arm-ed-ness might be a legitimate disqualification for commercial airline pilots. But I hope it doesn't become one, because I'd fly with that guy.

One of my instructors in college (and a close friend to this day) was born with a congenital defect that left him with nothing below the elbow on his right arm. It didn't affect his flying ability one bit, nor did it stop him from riding a motorcycle or driving a car with a manual transmission.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MrChips posted:

One of my instructors in college (and a close friend to this day) was born with a congenital defect that left him with nothing below the elbow on his right arm. It didn't affect his flying ability one bit, nor did it stop him from riding a motorcycle or driving a car with a manual transmission.

Jesus, I could see driving stick one handed with my right hand, but I'm trying to imagine it with the left and its not working.

E: Motorcycle is probably more impressive, but I don't know poo poo about motorcycles.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bitcoin bastard posted:

Jesus, I could see driving stick one handed with my right hand, but I'm trying to imagine it with the left and its not working.

E: Motorcycle is probably more impressive, but I don't know poo poo about motorcycles.

Maybe he had a JDM/British import? v:geno:v

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

bitcoin bastard posted:

Considering that your right hand controls throttle and most of your braking, it's something special. Sure, you could move throttle to the left hand and link the front and rear brakes, but then the left hand is still doing gas and clutch at the same time.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Safety Dance posted:

Considering that your right hand controls throttle and most of your braking, it's something special. Sure, you could move throttle to the left hand and link the front and rear brakes, but then the left hand is still doing gas and clutch at the same time.

It's "easy" enough to do a custom bike. One of my previous neighbors had a customer who lost his left leg (the one used for shifting), and moved the gear selector up to one of the handle bars. I imagine that you could probably move the throttle to the right foot as a separate leaver than the foot brake.

Or just get a damned automatic Goldwing already.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
It's been done: http://www.shockmansion.com/2011/03/13/armleg-amputee-racing-motorcycles/ (semi-NSFW images on page)

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Back to some AI. JATO assisted Ercoupe takeoffs! Would this still be considered light sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0mKobISt4

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I guess you'd also need some reverse rockets to keep it under 120? If you can't be fast, at least be loud as gently caress.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Entone posted:

Back to some AI. JATO assisted Ercoupe takeoffs! Would this still be considered light sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0mKobISt4

At about 25 seconds one of the rockets firing upwards explodes :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Saw this and thought of you:

"What happens when a thunderstorm hits the world's largest airport (ATL)"