Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pixaal posted:

Some things age poorly, games with horrible control schemes or ways of displaying information, I'm looking at your daggerfall map!

Daggerfall's map didn't age poorly. That was god awful when it was new (along with the rest of the game :v: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

RadicalR posted:

You can give me the Star Fox 64 code then! I'll put it to good use. :haw:

I'll gladly take some Nintendo Bux in exchange. idk if you can do that, though.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Kirios posted:

There is an incredibly short list of games more influential than Super Mario 64. When that game came out it blew my mind...it was amazing looking and there was nothing like it.

Sure, it's probably been done better (and Sunshine isn't that loving game get out of here with that nonsense. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 and Super Mario 3d world are acceptable answers to that), but it was absolutely revolutionary when it came out.

And it still plays great too - I played it about six months ago and it was still a ton of fun.

I don't think dismissing older games because newer ones have done it better is fair. There's a lot of revolutionist history for Grand Theft Auto 3, but if you look objectively that's got to be a top 10 game of all time too.

That's great and all, and I know where you're coming from because I was about 12 when Mario 64 came out, and I remember playing it for the first time. Mario 64 is without a doubt one of the most important games that was ever released. I collected all 120 stars, I did everything there was to do in that game, but the thing is I don't base which games I like on how revolutionary they are. By the time Sunshine came out I was done with that sort of thing. Even when someone comes over now, and we're smoking a doob and decide to play Mario, the game that gets whipped out isn't Mario 64, it's Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World, and 3D World is the closest they've come to those games in 3D. I know everyone's not going to agree with me, and that's fine because everyone has different tastes, but that's the style of game I want Mario to be. I don't want a big open sandbox.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 13, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Super Mario 64 is a single player game though..you probably wouldn't bust out Galaxy 1 or 2 and Sunshine unless they've never seen it before.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Kirios posted:

Super Mario 64 is a single player game though..you probably wouldn't bust out Galaxy 1 or 2 and Sunshine unless they've never seen it before.

Exactly. It's a totally different style of game than every Mario game that came before it. It has Mario in it, but like, it's not really a Mario Bros. game. Sunshine and 64 are almost like their own separate thing from the main series. Super Mario 3D World is Mario Bros. in 3D

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 13, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
64 has some pretty good platforming, it's really only Sunshine that I think is weak in that regard (except for the secrets).

I mean, once you get past the first level set, most of the levels are pretty rife with hazards and traps to avoid. Lethal Lava Land was a stumbling block for 9-year-old me for a long time.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mario 64 was so awful I got a Playstation instead. Sunshine will always be the better game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Been playing 3D World the past couple nights. I like it a lot! I enjoyed 3D Land when I played it but this one feels more... whimsical? I can't quite put my finger on it but this is bar none one of the best Mario games to date.

How long is the game, anyway? I just hit World 5 and it seems like it's the last area on my map but if 3D Land has taught me anything I'm nowhere close to the end.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't think the level of influence a game inspired matters at all, really.

Kaubocks posted:

Been playing 3D World the past couple nights. I like it a lot! I enjoyed 3D Land when I played it but this one feels more... whimsical? I can't quite put my finger on it but this is bar none one of the best Mario games to date.

How long is the game, anyway? I just hit World 5 and it seems like it's the last area on my map but if 3D Land has taught me anything I'm nowhere close to the end.

Eight worlds, and 3(?) after-game ones.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kaubocks posted:

Nah, you're about halfway.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Exactly. It's a totally different style of game than every Mario game that came before it. It has Mario in it, but like, it's not really a Mario Bros. game. Sunshine and 64 are almost like their own separate thing from the main series. Super Mario 3D World is Mario Bros. in 3D

This is how I feel about it to. To me, Mario is a platformer. Something more like Super Mario world or Mario 3D World. That's Mario to me. I liked Mario 64 and Sunshine, a great deal, in fact, but they feel less like Mario games to me. I will still cheerfully buy Mario Sunshine HD, though, when/if it comes to pass.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

noirstronaut posted:

I don't think the level of influence a game inspired matters at all, really.

Eight worlds, and 3(?) after-game ones.

Four after-game worlds. Star, Mushroom, Flower, Crown.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Mario 64 was so awful I got a Playstation instead. Sunshine will always be the better game.

What's it like to have such a wrong opinion? :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Four after-game worlds. Star, Mushroom, Flower, Crown.
So 12 worlds total? That's not bad.

I do like how pretty much all the levels are drastically different. Mount Must Dash was hilarious and I really liked the aesthetic of... that poisony area with the piranha plants that snake along the ground. I forget what it was called. :shobon:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Man, how can you not love Mario 64 though? That game was almost perfect. Even the water levels weren't unbearable like they are in nearly every 3D platformer today still. The controls were so smooth and it had some great levels. The only weak parts were the flying stuff which was hard to do, and the fact that you could regain full health by surfacing in water.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kaubocks posted:

I really liked the aesthetic of... that poisony area with the piranha plants that snake along the ground. I forget what it was called. :shobon:

You're going to hate when you do the remix of this level in World Flower and you have to light all the torches. :cry:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sunshine had really good platforming though, people who say otherwise need to play it again. The aesthetic wears out its welcome, there are really lovely objectives (blue coins, that leaf boat, random paint poo poo), and there are fewer levels overall so the clunkers like that loving hotel really stand out. But it has some really good levels to explore with solid, challenging platforming. It's definitely an uneven experience and I never had a desire to go back to it, whereas I 100% Mario 64 a half-dozen times.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sunshine is basically an open world Mario and they give you the ultimate tool (FLUDD) for traversing an open world. That people often say they preferred the hidden jetpack-less stages, which were abstract in design, as well as Galaxy, which is abstract in design, means Nintendo was probably on the right track by making Mario 3D World, which is abstract in design.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

So 12 worlds total? That's not bad.

I do like how pretty much all the levels are drastically different. Mount Must Dash was hilarious and I really liked the aesthetic of... that poisony area with the piranha plants that snake along the ground. I forget what it was called. :shobon:

For the completionist in you, you also get to finish each level with every character so it'll feel even longer than 12 worlds! :v:

Does doing that get you a save file star actually?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

For the completionist in you, you also get to finish each level with every character so it'll feel even longer than 12 worlds! :v:

Yeah, but that and a few stamps are all you get. Just get your 380 stars and be happy with that :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

OH NO THAT IS ABSOLUTELY SOMETHING I WILL BE COMPELLED TO DO gently caress :supaburn:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kaubocks posted:

OH NO THAT IS ABSOLUTELY SOMETHING I WILL BE COMPELLED TO DO gently caress :supaburn:

I thought I would be one of those people. Then I started doing it and decided i didn't need to be a completionist for once in my life...

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Mario 64 was so awesome I returned my Playstation that I had had for a week in exchange for the wait for the N64 to come out.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Shibawanko posted:

Man, how can you not love Mario 64 though? That game was almost perfect. Even the water levels weren't unbearable like they are in nearly every 3D platformer today still. The controls were so smooth and it had some great levels. The only weak parts were the flying stuff which was hard to do, and the fact that you could regain full health by surfacing in water.

Yeah, I mean, it's not my favourite Mario game, but calling it a bad game is a bit of a stretch. You know what, though? PS1 outsold Nintendo 64 almost 3-1, so he wasn't the only one who felt like that, evidently.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 13, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mario Sunshine's problem is that, for me, it had to justify the purchase of a game cube. While I liked a lot of gamecube titles (Wind Waker, Metroid etc.) none of them felt like system sellers. And neither did Sunshine, as good as it was.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Calling Mario 64 better than 3D World because of its legacy is really dumb. The game can be judged on its own merit and you should do so.

Also sunshine was not designed to be 100% completed, the blue coins were made to create a meaningful collectable aside from the objectives, something it's managed better than any Mario since.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Both Banjo games do everything better than Mario 64, FWIW

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

I just found rosalina's story time in galaxy 1 and I want to kill myself. really could use a skip button here

You have no heart. :colbert:

Also its not required to visit the library so if you don't like it then just don't go in there.

quote:

Both Banjo games are bloated pieces of poo poo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Speaking of 64 and all the crap it influenced, does anyone think it's likely for Nintendo to release this generation's storyline Mario game or will 3D World be enough? We had 64 on the, ya know, 64, Sunshine on GC, then Galaxy on the Wii.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I didn't know Hyrule Warriors was already out in Japan. I'm seeing posts about it from Miiverse people I'm following

Does that mean Ganondorf was probably the final character reveal?

Austrian mook posted:

I went back and played the first one a year or two back and it doesn't hold up very well at all

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Mario 64 hasn't aged that well, but it's still really fun. I'm torn on whther I would want an HD remake of that or Sunshine. On one hand, there are way more fantastical worlds available in 64 that would look stunning with 3D World's art style. On the other hand, all that gorgeous HD Mario Sunshine water :swoon:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Macaluso posted:

Mario 64 hasn't aged that well, but it's still really fun. I'm torn on whther I would want an HD remake of that or Sunshine. On one hand, there are way more fantastical worlds available in 64 that would look stunning with 3D World's art style. On the other hand, all that gorgeous HD Mario Sunshine water :swoon:

We already used up our remake credits on the DS.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Macaluso posted:

Honestly, I just want them to get N64 games on the Wii U VC so I can play it on my gamepad.

HURRY THE gently caress UP NINTENDO!!! :argh:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Austrian mook posted:

Also sunshine was not designed to be 100% completed, the blue coins were made to create a meaningful collectable aside from the objectives, something it's managed better than any Mario since.

Not sure I agree 100% with your police work there...

"Yeah these levels of the game are tedious and bad, but that's cause you aren't supposed to play them duh."

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Astro7x posted:

I thought I would be one of those people. Then I started doing it and decided i didn't need to be a completionist for once in my life...

Really I find 3D world to be a fun enough that I enjoy replaying the levels with the other characters, it's not like you have to get all the stars and get a golden flag pole with each and every character.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, it seems like a good practice to just turn on two additional Wiimotes, bubble up and try to do some speedruns.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Misandu posted:

Really I find 3D world to be a fun enough that I enjoy replaying the levels with the other characters, it's not like you have to get all the stars and get a golden flag pole with each and every character.

I tried replaying Super Mario 3D World with a different character but then I realized that it would overwrite my 100% Toad flag completion and that just ain't right. :mad:

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

JordanKai posted:

I tried replaying Super Mario 3D World with a different character but then I realized that it would overwrite my 100% Toad flag completion and that just ain't right. :mad:

What set's the flag anyway? I noticed they changed sometime but I've never really looked into why.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

JordanKai posted:

Are you sure about this? I recall hitting flagpoles with different characters and the flag not changing at all

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Yeah, I mean, it's not my favourite Mario game, but calling it a bad game is a bit of a stretch. You know what, though? PS1 outsold Nintendo 64 almost 3-1, so he wasn't the only one who felt like that, evidently.

Yes, because Playstation Outselling N64 has everything to do with gamers hating Mario 64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So I ordered The Wonderful 101 (And CODBLOPS2 for cheap to get free shipping) last night... this crazy Platinum superhero thing had better be worth it.

e; ^I think the PS1 outselling the N64 had more to do with the lack of games between tentpoles than gamers disliking Mario 64. Mario 64 holds up a hell of a lot better than about anything released on PS1 in 96.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 13, 2014

• Locked thread