Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

JawKnee posted:

didn't ME1 (at least) have a sizeable aim-assist?

It was optional. Like in nearly all console shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Does Major Kaiden get on the Normandy and then randomly take orders from shep anyways like no one in the military even pays attention to ranks? Sort of like how Garrus isn't really even in the military and has no rank but the generals all salute him and call him sir for some unexplained reason.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
It's all in order to prepare you for watching a Commander giving orders to the collective navies and associated Admirals of the entire galaxy.

In hindsight, the retarded firing line in the final battle makes sense, considering that someone thought it'd be a good idea to entrust space combat tactics to a grunt.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Shepard was XO of the Normandy.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Axe-man posted:

I liked Carth as a character, I think it kinda got overplayed about him, but I mean, I can see why a lot of people were annoyed at him. Kaiden is pretty chill, and ends up being cool at the party in general. Ashley however, had this thing about... TRUST.

:shepface: Carth had this thing about Trust too...

Replaying from scratch, Renegading it up and considering a failshep run.

Helena Blake: I have excellent legal representation

Uhuh, and I'm a Spectre, nobody would blink if I shot you dead right here on the Presidium. :v:

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 13, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Dan Didio posted:

Shepard was XO of the Normandy.

CO (he was XO until Anderson got the boot), and I remember reading in earlier discussions that it's true-to-life, in real navies the CO of the ship is in charge of the ship even if there's a higher-ranking officer on board.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

And yet Ashley does it more :q:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I started ME2 as a Soldier. I seem to have a marked lack of any abilities. Is this the most hosed class?

I can aim well.
I can change my ammo.
And that's it.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Soldier is a class based around dishing damage, letting you use every single type of ammo type and almost every single weapon in the game except the SMG, which it succeeds at admirably. However, once you get the hang of playing soldier in either ME2 or ME3, it's basically the same thing as breaking the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why is it game breaking? Pretty much every class gets 3 weapons (after collector ship) but also gets magic spells.

In ME1 the Soldier got armor stuff. Are you buffed at all in ME2? Special shields?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The Soldier's abilities are using a bunch of different kinds of guns. You can start borrowing a power from squadmates eventually, but the soldier's whole thing is not having much space magic.

e: Adrenaline Rush is pretty good, too.

aegof fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 13, 2014

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs
Adrenaline Rush + Incendiary Ammo + Mattock = I WIN. Even on Insanity.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The soldier gets every gun, including assault rifles which no other class get. And they get to use bullet time pretty much all the time. I found ME2 too easy on insanity as a soldier.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh, I see. Adrenaline Rush has a 3 second cooldown, so during combat you spend 1/2 the time with everything else in slow motion. Yeah, that's broken.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh, I see. Adrenaline Rush has a 3 second cooldown, so during combat you spend 1/2 the time with everything else in slow motion. Yeah, that's broken.

Just wait till you fully level it up.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
More importantly, you have the Revenant. :black101:

Forget what anyone says about ME3's story, the most magical moment in that game is getting that gun back.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, also forgot about bonus powers to round things out. First PC play through so nothing is unlocked yet. What should I grab? Barrier?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Nothing that slows down cool downs while active. I usually take something like dominate as it changes up the gameplay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Why is it game breaking? Pretty much every class gets 3 weapons (after collector ship) but also gets magic spells.

In ME1 the Soldier got armor stuff. Are you buffed at all in ME2? Special shields?

You can use every gun (which is much more useful than it sounds at first) except for the SMG but you get a better SMG anyways and combining ammo powers with Adrenaline Rush lets you put out a stupid amount of damage on specific defenses in a very short amount of time, especially if you have the Mattock DLC gun. Unfortunately I don't think soldiers really feel great, difficulty depending, until near level 30. I think what I usually did was:

1) Adrenaline Rush to full (both forms you can choose at the end are useful in their own ways. I generally liked the one that gives even more bonus damage. Use this whenever its recharged.

2) Combat Mastery to full. The "Commando" form is the the most useful but "Shock Trooper" is the form that gives you more bonus Paragon/Renegade points so that's the one I always go with. The difference is fairly minimal except for a small amount of health, weapon damage, and a choice between Power Damage for Commando and Power Duration for Shock Trooper.

3) Fire and Disruptor ammo to full, taking the "heavy" version instead of the "squad" version.

4) I leveled up Concussion Shot until I could take Reave (which is a bonus power you get the option of using after gaining loyalty of a future squadmate) after which I reset my points, left Concussion Shot at 0, and leveled Reave up to full and chose Heavy Reave. Reave gives you a instant and huge boost to health if you use it on something other than robots so its useful to speed up hiding behind cover.

5) This leaves one point left over for Cryo ammo. I never found it useful enough to level up if you already have Adrenaline Rush and Incendiary Ammo but it has comedy value in occasionally freezing enemies and watching them topple over and go *clonk* on the ground :v:

Buuut if you want to use more than one bit of Space Magic outside of a single bonus power you'll want to choose another class. Soldiers have the most health and can put out a lot of damage but its all about cover shooting.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 13, 2014

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

My Q-Face posted:

I can't tell you how many playthroughs I have of KOTOR, especially KOTOR 2. ME1 is a logical progression from KOTOR's queued/turn-based combat to real-time. Some of us actually like action RPGs and if we wanted to play shooters, we'd play shooters. The game works fine for what it's designed to do, and the combat is there literally to pad out the rest of the game. For what it's worth, I have more playthroughs of ME1 than of 2 or 3. The problem with embracing the idea of being an action game/TPS is that the story went to hell as a result.

Also, having played hundreds of hours of ME3MP at this point. :roflolmao: that you think the combat isn't repetitive and based on having an upgraded enough gun.

Neither the Kotor games nor ME1 are action RPGs so I don't know what the hell your talking about.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

(he was XO until Anderson got the boot),

That's what I said.

Epi Lepi posted:

Neither the Kotor games nor ME1 are action RPGs so I don't know what the hell your talking about.

Mass Effect 1 is.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Did you have an explicit XO in ME3? Or did they say "gently caress it, that was never really important."

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Edit: nm I can't read

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lycus posted:

Did you have an explicit XO in ME3? Or did they say "gently caress it, that was never really important."

Nothing explicit, but I guess either Liara or Garrus could count. Not that it makes a difference since, thanks to EDI, the ship can take care of itself even without all those nameless jerks that wander around.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Lycus posted:

I got the impression that it was the VS, because VS is commanding the ship when it picks you up at the beginning, but I think given the circumstances, the slot is vacated and not filled again, and everybody is too busy to notice. I don't think it's Liara or Garrus because they're too busy with their own stuff to participate in the ship's operations. If not the VS, then the EDI-bot.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Wouldn't it have to be someone in the alliance military since the crew is alliance. I would assume XO status just goes to either ashdan, kailey or Vega as the highest ranking alliance member onboard.

Although to be fair what does 90% of the alliance crew even do on the SR2? All the important shipboard tasks are handled by a handful of shep's friends. So all the alliance people walking around in the background are what? A glorified janitorial service?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Carry Joker back and forth from the restroom.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Secretly undo Garrus's calibrations every right after he goes to sleep. Got to give the old bird something to do shipboard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tribbledirigible posted:

Secretly undo Garrus's calibrations every right after he goes to sleep. Got to give the old bird something to do shipboard.

In ME3 he and Tali were hitting it off big time.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Wouldn't it have to be someone in the alliance military since the crew is alliance. I would assume XO status just goes to either ashdan, kailey or Vega as the highest ranking alliance member onboard.

Although to be fair what does 90% of the alliance crew even do on the SR2? All the important shipboard tasks are handled by a handful of shep's friends. So all the alliance people walking around in the background are what? A glorified janitorial service?

Mshep has the crew in three rotations, while fshep has them in four.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

In ME1 you walk around and click on different consoles to see what they are (Heat exchange, point defense, etc), but on the SR2 -since being unlocked- EDI does all of that, so... stand around so people don't get uncomfortable with an AI running things?

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Drifter posted:

In ME3 he and Tali were hitting it off big time.

Not in my playthrough :smug: He can eat poo poo, she's mine.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

I finally ended up double-dipping, and grabbing the ME Trilogy on PS3, after having the series on the 360 and not touching said 360 for almost a year. Any specific changes I should know about, things to avoid?

Most importantly, did the Novera Paragon/Renegade exploit get fixed, or does it still bug your ME2 save if used?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Magil of Shadow posted:

Most importantly, did the Novera Paragon/Renegade exploit get fixed, or does it still bug your ME2 save if used?
That exploit in ME1 still exists. According to the ME wiki it's on all platforms.
It doesn't bug your ME2 save though. It doesn't on the PC and I can't find anything about such a bug existing on the console versions.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

rypakal posted:

Mshep has the crew in three rotations, while fshep has them in four.
...what?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I really can't play as any of the other classes besides Solider because I won't have access to all the awesome guns. You can keep your fancy tech and biotic powers, I've got GUNS. :clint:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I never thought the guns were that great. But then, I only ever played an Adept through the games.

I had gun MAGIC.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah, I really can't play as any of the other classes besides Solider because I won't have access to all the awesome guns. You can keep your fancy tech and biotic powers, I've got GUNS. :clint:

Of course that's only a thing in one of the games.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
On my Vanguard run I would have played without any guns at all if they'd let me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Starhawk64 posted:

Heh, five guns are only necessary for people that can't use magic or throw tech fireballs. Rocketing into battle and blowing people away in blue explosions make almost any gun feel redundant.

• Locked thread