Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Make German potato salad (it's a warm salad) with the sauerkraut. The local German deli does it this way and it is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So this might seem stupid, but I finally got a batch of scratch refried beans to come out well. I had been using an immersion blender and I never liked the texture of the beans. This time I used a blender and kept the beans in the pressure cooker for almost twice as long.

Refried in bacon fat and added just salt.

gently caress paleo. I'm getting fat on the cheap.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Does anyone have experience in making fish stock from anchovies?
A store here started selling cheap whole anchovies, and I am not sure if I should leave the bones in when making my stock.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What doesn't melt away will come out when you strain it (always strain your fish stock well). That said, I only ever put anchovy heads in mine because the backbones are too fiddly.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

dino. posted:

Heat pan on stove. Add kraut. When hot, turn off.

So "cooking" saurkraut isn't a thing and it never was a thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well no I'm pretty sure that heating things is cooking them but kay man whatev.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Tonight I made stuffed zucchini! I grew the zucchini in my garden and used a mixture of minced beef heart, rice, chicken broth and spices (mostly cumin and thyme) for the filling. Hearts have been super cheap around here lately.

I didn't think to take many pictures of the process but this is the prettiest one straight out of the oven:

It was a big zucchini; that was just half it's length.

Next time I will remember to brush the inside of the zucchini with olive oil and cover with foil before cooking; the rice on top came out too dry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People have been bringing zucchinis in to work that are as big as a medium-sized dog. PICK THEM SOONER.

There has been much stuffed zucchini talk.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I am also now in possession of a giant zucchini someone gifted me! Having never made stuffed zucchini before, I was going to cut the zucchini in half, scoop out the seeds, and cook it on 375, 400 until soft. Meanwhile I'd make the filling, fill the zucchini when done, and then cook it all together for another ten minutes. Does this seem like a solid plan? Or can someone tell me what I should do differently?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Overly large zucchini still grate up fine to make zucchini fritters I learned just last week.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A dash of chickpea flour helps both keep them together in the skillet as well as make them taste even better, I've found. Just a tip.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Niemat posted:

I am also now in possession of a giant zucchini someone gifted me! Having never made stuffed zucchini before, I was going to cut the zucchini in half, scoop out the seeds, and cook it on 375, 400 until soft. Meanwhile I'd make the filling, fill the zucchini when done, and then cook it all together for another ten minutes. Does this seem like a solid plan? Or can someone tell me what I should do differently?

I agree with Jacques Pépin that also scooping out enough flesh to this the zucchini boats walls to about a quarter in thick works best. And I like to mince up the flesh I carved out and work it into the stuffing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
For people with an abundance of zucchini, I used to beg my mom to make fried zucchini when I was a kid. Slice it, coat in flour mix (whatever spices/seasoning floats your boat), drop in hot oil till it's brown. Can do the same with cucumbers. Makes a nice snack, or side dish though I think we were dealing with much smaller zucchini.

Zucchini fritters sound pretty awesome, I'm going to have to try that out. I used to eat fritters all the time, potato, corn, banana. Never tried zucchini though.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Zucchini is hella good in curries.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ahem. Zucchini bread. A shitload of zucchini bread.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Zucchini bread inside a zucchini.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Zucchini chat? Lemme link you guys to this: Zucchini Corn Pancakes. We made them a few weeks ago as a side with barbeque chicken, and it went wonderfully. We roasted the corn on the grill(don't soak that poo poo. Don't even shuck it. Take whole ear of corn, toss on indirect heat on a grill or in the oven at ~350 for 30 minutes. Then shuck and eat.), and we shredded pepperjack cheese, but followed the recipe exactly otherwise. The only thing I would change would be to halve the recipe, since it made a metric rear end-load of pancakes, and took the two of us three days to go through all the batter. Other than that, they were drat tasty.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

hailthefish posted:

Ahem. Zucchini bread. A shitload of zucchini bread.

My zucchini is doing terrible this year or I would make zucchini bread all the time. It all turns yellow and shrivels up before getting big enough to harvest. :sigh:

I made plain, no-knead bread instead today. Turned out pretty good; my husband and I have already devoured half of it. Good thing this recipe makes enough dough for more than one loaf. Gonna buy more flour and make this more often. I was worried it would turn out like poo poo because the yeast was old and the dough seemed really salty, but it turned out great. Don't even have a baking stone or anything fancy like that.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 13, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Supermarket is selling huge things of red pepper paste for $3. I love peppers so I would like to buy some, but I don't know how to use it. Do I just use it like tomato paste? What veggies/meats would go best with it?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Supermarket is selling huge things of red pepper paste for $3. I love peppers so I would like to buy some, but I don't know how to use it. Do I just use it like tomato paste? What veggies/meats would go best with it?

Yes, you can use it like tomato paste, and pretty much any vegetable or meat goes well with it.
that said, I spread it on a grilled cheese sandwich with chorizo...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
All this talk of zucchini, and not one mention of the flowers, which are the best part of the plant! stuffed fried zucchini flowers are the best.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Make some mayo (technically aioli) with it, use that in a sandwich.

Put a dash in your scrambled eggs, or on your fried eggs.

When you next make a pilaf, use some of that paste.

Caramelize it after sauteing the onions for e.g. a daal or tomato sauce, or many other uses.

Slather it on pork chops with some spices.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm thinking about pouring a (home-made high-protein multigrain) pancake batter into muffin cups and baking at 350 to make muffins that taste something like my awesome pancakes. My coworkers said it was a retarded idea. Why would this work or not work?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I'm thinking about pouring a (home-made high-protein multigrain) pancake batter into muffin cups and baking at 350 to make muffins that taste something like my awesome pancakes. My coworkers said it was a retarded idea. Why would this work or not work?

Generally, muffin batter is more like cake batter than it is like pancake batter. If you pour pancake batter into a muffin tin, I suspect the outside will burn before the inside is cooked through, but not having tried it I'm not sure of that. You could make pancake-flavored muffins, though - and I'd put a little maple sugar or syrup in the mix.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Generally, muffin batter is more like cake batter than it is like pancake batter. If you pour pancake batter into a muffin tin, I suspect the outside will burn before the inside is cooked through, but not having tried it I'm not sure of that. You could make pancake-flavored muffins, though - and I'd put a little maple sugar or syrup in the mix.

I tried it because why the gently caress not. Made 6. They baked up nicely but stuck to the paper, and I don't think they'll be salvaged.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I tried it because why the gently caress not. Made 6. They baked up nicely but stuck to the paper, and I don't think they'll be salvaged.
Make Yorkshire pudding instead.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CommonShore posted:

I did this once in the past, with a blueberrie filling, because the internet told me to do it.
mini german pancakes are a thing! google it:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=mini...pr=0.9#imgdii=_

I made a bunch of freezer burrito's, with a little ground beef, onions, bell pepper, some carrot, a can of tomatoes and loads of beans and stuff (kidney beans, black beans, corn), with chipotle in adobo, chilli powder, salt and pepper.

It took me a little over half an hour and it was too much to fill 8 medium sized tortilla wraps with (so I ate the rest)
Filled the 8 tortilla wraps with the mixture, some jalapeno pepper slices and some grated cheese,
and voila, 8 freezer burritos

So, today I heated one up in the oven (next time I'm gonna cover it with aluminum foil half of the time),
and made a salad with it (salad leaves, paprika, tomato, spring onions and a home made honey-mustard dressing)
That was an excellent, cheap and quick meal...will be making it again

paraquat fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 15, 2014

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Today I figured out that I could make bean salad with my massive surplus of beans! I don't know why I didn't realize this before; for me beans have always meant a hot meal so I guess this one just never really occurred to me. It was a great way to get rid of the odds and ends of all the veg that hangs out in that one drawer of my fridge too. I infused the vinegar and grew the herbs and zucchini-- I am getting so much more use out of this years garden than last years.

I used:
-Navy beans
-Kidney beans
-Green garlic
-Green onions
-White onions
-Okra
-Poblano peppers
-Zucchini
-Dill
-Cilantro
-Olive oil
-Raspberry vinegar
-Salt
-Black pepper

It turned out really well but next time I want to play with the dressing a little. Just about everything in the salad proper is bound to change, so I think the dressing is where I want to work on flavor.

Next time mint is going in the mix.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I need to make good and lunches to take with me for work. I used to take lasagne or soups but that poo poo gets boring real fast and lasagna stuff isn't too good when microwaved. I got a hold of some sticky rice and I tried to look for some japanese bento stuff but all the recipes have seaweed and weird asian ingredients in them. I can mush rice, tuna and veggies in a box but what else should I do?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

I need to make good and lunches to take with me for work. I used to take lasagne or soups but that poo poo gets boring real fast and lasagna stuff isn't too good when microwaved. I got a hold of some sticky rice and I tried to look for some japanese bento stuff but all the recipes have seaweed and weird asian ingredients in them. I can mush rice, tuna and veggies in a box but what else should I do?

Some days mix the rice with vegetables and Asian sauce/dressing. Other days, mix the rice with taco-seasoned beans and heat that up, then out lettuce, tomato, and cheese on top for taco salad. Other days, leave the rice at home and use the lettuce and tomato you bought with the other vegetables for a salad, and put leftover cold grilled chicken on top.

For me, lunch is usually the leftovers of what I had for dinner the night before or a salad made of things from the fridge. I try to avoid buying more than two things at the grocery store specifically for lunch.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ManOfTheYear posted:

I typically make a big batch of something that I can eat all week. I like hot meals but I don't like microwaving plastic, so I got a glass Pyrex bowl and I bring lunch in that.

Since you're posting in this thread, I'm assuming budget is a concern. Things that go well with rice are great because rice is cheap and stretches food very well. New Orleans-style red beans and rice are a classic -- the dish pretty much exists to help stretch out a little bit of meat. There are lots of varied lentil curries that are a good fit as well. The "weeknight Brazilian stew" on the GWS wiki is easy and keeps well. The burrito recipe linked up thread is a good option too, and freezes well -- and you don't have to make traditional burritos, you can put whatever the gently caress you want in a tortilla. You might be noticing a theme here -- various combinations of rice and beans are the classic budget staples.

Everything I mentioned here I supplement with a cup of yogurt and a can of seltzer and it's a solid meal.

Make something different each weekend and you have new stuff to eat for lunch every week.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Whiteboy chile verde:

cubed pork butt
2 onions
garlic
2 jalapenos
1 bunch cilantro.

Got the pork butt on sale. I now have a giant pot of chile verde for about $10.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I bought liver for the first time. Beef liver steaks. I've eaten it before but never cooked it. I'm looking to start simple - I'm thinking that I'm going to dredge it in a seasoned flour and corn starch mix and pan fry it hot in peanut oil, probably with onions because whythefucknot. Intended sides are boiled/buttered potatoes and a tomato heavy spinach salad.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Suggestions? Will this be reasonable? Any other basic liver approaches that I might be overlooking and would be worth trying?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know grandmas always used to soak it in milk to remove some of the harsher (iron?) tastes. Not sure if that actually works, but it's what they always seemed to do.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Quickly browned liver with caramelized onion and potato is one of the comfortiest comfort foods. Just don't over-cook the liver and it will be fine.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Going to a Thai market after work today. Anything special I should pick up? Basically gonna look for spices and long-lasting sauces/ingredients that I can use in a variety of meals. Maybe I'll splurge on some weird candy. It is payday, after all.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Butch Cassidy posted:

Just don't over-cook the liver and it will be fine.

That's the kind of info I needed here.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sambal manis goes really well with fried liver!

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
My local grocery sells lamb stew meat for a pretty good price so I used this recipe tonight

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Garlicky_Lamb_with_Potatoes

Its really good, and with some frozen steamed veggies ( often on sale here ) and rice to soak up the tasty sauce, you can get a lot of easily reheated dinners from this. I'll probably have my work lunch ready now for the rest of the week.

They do have some bone pieces in with the meat too, but I trimmed that and the extra fat off, and I'm planning to make some stock with the bones, so that won't go to waste either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just remember that liver isn't something you should make a habit of eating often. It's loaded with cholesterol and incredibly bad for you.