Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Started playing secret world again after overloading on divinity: original sin & arx fatalis.
aegis, nightmare dungeons, and issues 8/9 exist as unpurchased content for me, but are interesting to read about.

Any tips for doing the final stage of savage coast "theme park tycoon" mission with a QL4 blade/elemental build?
I'm guessing the answer is going to be "switch to ranged weapons (fool) because close quarters combat with the "angry clown" while the bumpercars ram around is a really bad idea".

e: managed to beat the angry clown by running into bumper cars, backpedalling while firing off elemental attacks only, and letting bumpercars whittle down it's health.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure using the bumper cars to damage him is actually the intended way to defeat him.

All this mission's tiers have gimmicks you have to use over brute force unless your build is very good and you know what you're doing.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I actually did that mission today. I'm pretty sure the gimmick with the Octotron was to lead the zombies into the spinning car-arms, but being a dope I just sat in a corner and sprayed everything with my AR till it died. :smith:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That particular mission is bizarrely tough even with the gimmick, mainly because the gimmick is hard to execute.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Oh, there were gimmicks for that stuff. Oops.

I've done it twice and just brute forced it and wondered why it was so hard :haw:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

octotron gimmicks were iffy and I ended up beating the octotron segment by constantly running in a circle just outside the spinning line of death.
I technically beat that segment by outlasting the music but immediately died from bleeding effects from the mass of undead chasing me around in a circle.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

tuluk posted:

octotron gimmicks were iffy and I ended up beating the octotron segment by constantly running in a circle just outside the spinning line of death.
I technically beat that segment by outlasting the music but immediately died from bleeding effects from enemies chasing me.

I always did it that way, except I run at the edge of the mission area (just outside the fence IIRC) which means as long as you don't lose sprint (due to funcompetence or having new mobs spawn in your way) you won't get hit. Most mobs will die on the way to pursue you, but it always ended with me running a few miles to get the remaining bunch of them to reset (seriously the leash range in this game is insane).

What Raiser said is true - while the mission is hard to brute force at the intended level, the gimmicks are challenging to execute, so they don't really make the mission much easier. Getting the mobs to be in the Octotron damage radius without getting hit yourself is not trivial, getting the zombies in the next part to stand in the AoE circles where the statue will fire, again, not easy, etc.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

orcane posted:

I always did it that way, except I run at the edge of the mission area (just outside the fence IIRC) which means as long as you don't lose sprint (due to funcompetence or having new mobs spawn in your way) you won't get hit. Most mobs will die on the way to pursue you, but it always ended with me running a few miles to get the remaining bunch of them to reset (seriously the leash range in this game is insane).

What Raiser said is true - while the mission is hard to brute force at the intended level, the gimmicks are challenging to execute, so they don't really make the mission much easier. Getting the mobs to be in the Octotron damage radius without getting hit yourself is not trivial, getting the zombies in the next part to stand in the AoE circles where the statue will fire, again, not easy, etc.

I never had any problem using the octotron but I didn't know about the gimmick for the clown, I did it last month and the bumper car were pissing me off more then anything else.

edit: Before you are done with Solomon island I suggest that you grind the last Dungeon Mission. It make the next area so much easier. I didn't do that on my first character and it made the game unfun to play.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 11, 2014

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Goddamn, the writing and atmosphere in this game is superb. I'm at the lighthouse with Sam Krieg and all his quests own.

I know Ragnar Tornquist left the dev team. How far does the story stay good up till?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kessel posted:

Goddamn, the writing and atmosphere in this game is superb. I'm at the lighthouse with Sam Krieg and all his quests own.

I know Ragnar Tornquist left the dev team. How far does the story stay good up till?

The story is good right up through Tokyo, IMHO.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I believe before Tornquist went off to do his own thing he wrote up a full story bible for the TSW team with the arc planned out years ahead, so I imagine whatever content comes out for quite some time to come has already been written.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kessel posted:

The story stays good until Issue 8 and then it kinda shits the bed a little with anything having to do with Venice but then once you get to Tokyo it picks back up.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Kessel posted:

In tokyo the storyline gets BETTER in my opinion

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I definitely think Freeborn is the highpoint, but some of the stuff in Tokyo is fantastic. The Fear Nothing Foundation is my favourite part.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
FNF was great but I was actually disappointed that that was all it was. I was expecting something way more hosed up.

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
I am terrified of the little girls in Tokyo.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Ahahaha the quest in Savage Coast where you stake increasingly large Draug onto pikes and Geary talks about all species responding to being teabagged. :allears:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kessel posted:

Ahahaha the quest in Savage Coast where you stake increasingly large Draug onto pikes and Geary talks about all species responding to being teabagged. :allears:

Illuminati own all others drool + are dumbos

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If I want to buy the issues/additional content, it looks like buying a month of membership and then using the free points and 10% discount to purchase the issues comes in just slightly cheaper than buying all the content outright.

Is my math wonky or is that right? Is there content I can safely skip? I don't mind paying but have no interest in grinding - just want to see the story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kessel posted:

If I want to buy the issues/additional content, it looks like buying a month of membership and then using the free points and 10% discount to purchase the issues comes in just slightly cheaper than buying all the content outright.

Is my math wonky or is that right? Is there content I can safely skip? I don't mind paying but have no interest in grinding - just want to see the story.

You'll want issues 5(might be included), 6, and 7 for sure. Issue 8 you can skip I believe if you get the investigation mission pack. Then you'll want Issue 9 and it's mission pack. That gives you all the story bits and the only DLC you'll be missing out on will be some extra scenario modes but those suck anyway.

And yeah that's the best route to get the DLC. You can also do that to get into the pre-release of DLC packs too iirc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

You'll want issues 5(might be included), 6, and 7 for sure. Issue 8 you can skip I believe if you get the investigation mission pack. Then you'll want Issue 9 and it's mission pack. That gives you all the story bits and the only DLC you'll be missing out on will be some extra scenario modes but those suck anyway.

I agree with all of this. Issues 5, 6, and 7 are all great. The investigation missions are also good, and one of them allows you to skip the Venice scenarios -- I hated the scenarios.

Although the mission chain you get with the Venetian guy where you search his office for bugs and so on -- that's a good mission chain.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Brilliant - thanks for the advice. I've been reading up on the scenario thing and yeeeeaaaah, I would much rather do more investigation missions.

Never played a game before where you have to open up fake Youtube channels to watch old lectures looking for an answer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

prefect posted:

I agree with all of this. Issues 5, 6, and 7 are all great. The investigation missions are also good, and one of them allows you to skip the Venice scenarios -- I hated the scenarios.

Although the mission chain you get with the Venetian guy where you search his office for bugs and so on -- that's a good mission chain.

That's part of i9 though but yeah that wasn't too bad. Venice just fell flat all around for me. There's a disconnect between that parts and the accomplishments of my character and the rest of the world.

I guess I'll spoil it since there's newish players around.

By the time i8 came out the player character had literally stopped gods, ousted the ruler of hell, ended a vampire crusade, and stopped a ridiculous number of Soviet super soldiers. Then this guy tells me that I can't go to Tokyo? I'm not skilled enough to go there? How much loving harder can it be than killing an Egyptian god or defeating a goddamn angel? They try to explain that it's because he's being paid off to not let us go but I have problems with that too.

If we had to go through red tape to fly to Tokyo or any regular mode of travel it would make sense. But instead we take Agartha. And a very easily accessed Agartha branch too with zero protection from the CoV. Why can't we just walk right through it? There's nobody guarding it. The only reason we can't walk through is because the player character goes "nope". I'm not a roleplayer but I accepted the Filth during each part of the story mission so it's clearly in my guys past that he does whatever the gently caress he feels like doing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

That's part of i9 though but yeah that wasn't too bad. Venice just fell flat all around for me. There's a disconnect between that parts and the accomplishments of my character and the rest of the world.

By the time i8 came out the player character had literally stopped gods, ousted the ruler of hell, ended a vampire crusade, and stopped a ridiculous number of Soviet super soldiers. Then this guy tells me that I can't go to Tokyo? I'm not skilled enough to go there? How much loving harder can it be than killing an Egyptian god or defeating a goddamn angel? They try to explain that it's because he's being paid off to not let us go but I have problems with that too.

If we had to go through red tape to fly to Tokyo or any regular mode of travel it would make sense. But instead we take Agartha. And a very easily accessed Agartha branch too with zero protection from the CoV. Why can't we just walk right through it? There's nobody guarding it. The only reason we can't walk through is because the player character goes "nope". I'm not a roleplayer but I accepted the Filth during each part of the story mission so it's clearly in my guys past that he does whatever the gently caress he feels like doing.

I'm more bothered by the bridge-to-issue-ten problem:

Okay, I can't get into the quarantine zone without going through Agartha, so it makes sense that I could theoretically need somebody's permission. But now I need to get outside of the quarantine zone, and I think that area is also known as "the rest of Japan", where they do have airports as far as I know.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Len posted:

To address your issue

So the not taking the argatha portal is uhh silly. Ill give you that and I can't really explain it.

The reason the guy says you cant go to tokyo is to delay you. The whole scenario thing and getting that stupid council seal is to delay you. I play illuminati and Geary outright states someone is delaying them, and that person is Arturo. Pretty dumb to have the story exlpain the in-game grind but eh

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also Kes the other advantage of doing your sub/buy issues thing is it should get you to the 20 vet points needed for the creepy zebra mask. Very important.

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

prefect posted:

I'm more bothered by the bridge-to-issue-ten problem:

Okay, I can't get into the quarantine zone without going through Agartha, so it makes sense that I could theoretically need somebody's permission. But now I need to get outside of the quarantine zone, and I think that area is also known as "the rest of Japan", where they do have airports as far as I know.

the entirety of infected tokyo is cordoned off, and then Kaidan (where we are now) is then further divided off from the docks (i10) and Orochi Tower (i11) by the wall on the south and east bit where cybernetic and psychic blend and presumably another wall between it and Orochi Tower (with probably another segment in Kaidan that comes down to give easy access to it from Kaidan); that's gonna come down or we're gonna slip past it when i10 launches, presumably the former.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.shadowrealms.com/blog/game-overview

So yeah, the new Bioware rpg is pretty much Secret World, but with slightly more cookie cutter lore and not an MMO. (Because they're not dumb.)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So a 4 player mass effect, sounds pretty decent my favorite part about mass effect was the cover combat in ME2 that was way harder then ME3 combat.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

So a 4 player mass effect, sounds pretty decent my favorite part about mass effect was the cover combat in ME2 that was way harder then ME3 combat.

Well...

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

That just looks like a shittier version of Dragon Age 2.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I'm at work, I take it that its an rpg squad shooter where you just get to watch now and not actually do anything tactical. So at least it will have superficial choices that barely matter!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

https://www.shadowrealms.com/blog/game-overview

So yeah, the new Bioware rpg is pretty much Secret World, but with slightly more cookie cutter lore and not an MMO. (Because they're not dumb.)

Except it's being done by SWTOR developers at Bioware Austin, so it'll probably be way more MMO than they admit. They'll also likely give up on those episodic plans just after the game comes out and pretend they never made them.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Edit: Double post, oops.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Am I missing something, or is dying and taking the anima well the fastest way to cross a map?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kessel posted:

Am I missing something, or is dying and taking the anima well the fastest way to cross a map?

You have to pay for repairs on your equipment, but yes.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Kessel posted:

No, and get naked first, those repair bills add up quick.

Edit: Are you in City of the Sun God?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also in case you don't know, you can type /reset to kill yourself.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

prefect posted:

You have to pay for repairs on your equipment, but yes.

I used to gladly pay those repair bills when the weapon power bug was a thing. Exploiting weapon power in Fusang was rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness
Been playing in EU evening times with the wife as Overen on Grim.

Currently up to the first zone in Transylvania, about 85% done with the main wheel (I'm only progressing the main story when my wife can play) and doing a fair bit of PvP in between.

If anyone wants to run anything or PvP or just do random stuff, give me a shout out.

• Locked thread