Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Give them all to me I could use an early retirement

Also new necron rumor is that they must check for phasing out every time they take a leadership check, get pinned, or are shot at by an enemy unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Give them all to me I could use an early retirement

Drive here and they're yours!

edit: one of the garbage bags also contains actual garbage so maybe don't take that one.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 13, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Also new necron rumor is that they must check for phasing out every time they take a leadership check, get pinned, or are shot at by an enemy unit.
Would not even be mad. Burn all army books to the ground and make everything Dark Angels level. :getin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Von Humboldt posted:

Would not even be mad. Burn all army books to the ground and make everything Dark Angels level. :getin:

Flakk upgrades as far as the eye can see

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Can regular chaos lords not get demon weapons anymore? I got the new chaos book to write a list up but I'm not seeing the option anywhere.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Can regular chaos lords not get demon weapons anymore? I got the new chaos book to write a list up but I'm not seeing the option anywhere.

They don't have them anymore, no. There's a cool Khorne axe and a silly power sword called The Murder Sword with the special rule: Murder.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They can't but they can get a Black Mace or Axe of Blind Fury which is in fact a daemon weapon.

The best HtH person in the game has to be a Warlord w/ Personal Traits Daemon Prince of Nurgle w/ Wings a Black Mace and 2 Rolls on Biomancy w/ spell familiar. It's unfortunate that it only gets two rolls on Biomancy because it has to roll on Nurgle which is bullshit.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 13, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They FAQed the Axe of Get hosed to be blood god only :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like that there are exactly 2 units in the Chaos Codex that can kind of shoot at flyers. Grrrr.

You can now though play KFF Orks with Chaos and the number of Walkers they get so that's kind of balls awesome.

Need to buy more Helbrute and convert more Maulers

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 13, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

Because it would make more sense for GW to retool an entirely packed sprue, cut off literally one bit, and sell it again. Yeah, that's sensible. Stop being dense.

Did you pick it up from the store or order it? I'm interested in it even though I have absolutely zero space to put it in my apartment and most of my terrain works better on my existing board.

Ordered from Elementgames for £160. More than happy with it. It packs away into a little less space than the old RoB and has some card shoes to hold them square in the bag. As an actual scenery piece it looks great.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

They FAQed the Axe of Get hosed to be blood god only :(

Which is extra dumb because the mark of Khorne and the axe both grant the USR: Rage. It's still a good item, but the lazy design shows.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've actually been moving away from super point sink characters, I just find it better like before I was playing Belakor etc.. but now I've just went with basic solid troops and numbers and that's worked well for me in almost all my games, plus it doesn't hurt when 1/8 of your army goes away.

I don't know what peoples opinions are on this.

Or I've went for using big gently caress off squads for effectiveness instead of smaller elite squads.

Don't really know peoples opinions on that are, my biggest problem is my friends have started bringing flyers and it's like Yay.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sephyr posted:

Which is extra dumb because the mark of Khorne and the axe both grant the USR: Rage. It's still a good item, but the lazy design shows.

Daemon of Khorne, on the other hand, does NOT give you Rage. So a Daemon Prince with the Axe of Get hosed would get Rage.

It's still dumb though.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If you're unMarked, you can get the Black Mace- it's not amazing on a Chaos Lord, but it's an option. The Black Legion supplement has a better option, the Spineshiver Blade, which for 30pts gives you +1 Initiative and AP3 attacks on a daemon weapon.

Hollismason posted:

I've actually been moving away from super point sink characters, I just find it better like before I was playing Belakor etc.. but now I've just went with basic solid troops and numbers and that's worked well for me in almost all my games, plus it doesn't hurt when 1/8 of your army goes away.

I don't know what peoples opinions are on this.

Or I've went for using big gently caress off squads for effectiveness instead of smaller elite squads.

Don't really know peoples opinions on that are, my biggest problem is my friends have started bringing flyers and it's like Yay.

I am a huge proponent of minimizing HQs in favor of bringing more other models to the table. HQ can be great and all and many of them have useful abilities, but you often pay 150+pts for a model with three wounds and a 3+ save. Buying more squads means more resilience and more firepower for the rest of the list, which can easily make up for anything else you might be missing due to having a weaker HQ choice, and in many codices the "budget" HQ units are actually quite useful.

As far as flyers go, there's tons of different solutions for different armies, depending on what you want to do. Forge World has a number of AA units that can be added to Imperial forces, SW and SM both bring extremely strong combat fighters to the table these days, Orks and Tau have some pretty devastating AA shooting units available, etc. Other armies can simply practice strategic counters to airplanes- for example, aggressive CSM and Daemon lists may simply ignore flyers and the enemy so hard their eventual arrival can't shift the tide of the game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There's a new trailer for Eternal Crusade out. It takes until about the halfway point to show in-game stuff, but it's neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAlOe8fUoG0
I think this game will be either pretty drat cool or an absolutely glorious failure, and I look forward to it either way.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

God,I remember when that same codex came free in a White Dwarf.

My free White Dwarfs!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just really difficult to deal with Vendettas and these new Space Wolves flyers do not make me happy.

There's like 3 things in the whole codex able to get Skyfire. Daemons can fly and sort of do stuff, Havocs , Heldrakes and Heldrakes suck for killing other fliers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Just really difficult to deal with Vendettas and these new Space Wolves flyers do not make me happy.

There's like 3 things in the whole codex able to get Skyfire. Daemons can fly and sort of do stuff, Havocs , Heldrakes and Heldrakes suck for killing other fliers.

They're not as good as they used to be, but an Aegis Defence Line with Quadgun is still a pretty solid defensive structure and handles Flyers well.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Looks like Mat Ward is gone from GW :toot:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

There's a new trailer for Eternal Crusade out. It takes until about the halfway point to show in-game stuff, but it's neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAlOe8fUoG0
I think this game will be either pretty drat cool or an absolutely glorious failure, and I look forward to it either way.

I know it's pre-alpha stuff but uuuugh it looks like upscaled DoW models.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Looks like Mat Ward is gone from GW :toot:

Old news at this point.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

They're not as good as they used to be, but an Aegis Defence Line with Quadgun is still a pretty solid defensive structure and handles Flyers well.
With the new emplacement rules, Bunkers and Bastions are also good choices. You can stuff your Havoc Squad inside (with Flakk if you want to go all in, or Autocannons if you want to not be horrible) to shoot at what you need and let the guns up top open fire on flyers, via automated fire. They're really quite good, especially if you take the Stronghold Assault upgrades of a Void Shield (to help soak fire) and Ammo Storage (to give your Havoc Squad rerolls of 1 to hit.) More expensive than an Aegis, and it can blow up and vaporize your entire investment in one go, but an AV 14 building is really a decent threat and keeps your men from being whittled down. You can also buy barricades on the cheap to plunk down by your building, if you want a 4+ cover save turn 1 or have other units you want to sit back and shoot.

Stronghold Assault in general has some fantastic options.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cross-post because it's 40K, and no thread knows if something is 40K enough:

ijyt posted:

My first attempt at some rubble bases for my Minotaurs, fairly happy with how they turned out. I've still some pigments to put on them but I'm waiting for the fixer to arrive.

Any input on how to do things differently is appreciated!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
I don't know if this a :filez: question or not, but do any of you goons have an or know a regularly updated battlescribe repositorie? The one I got when I first got the app hasn't been updated in a while and rife with spelling errors and typos.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 14, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

Old news at this point.

Too bad! It's news to me and imma get excited.

:toot: :orks::hf::orks101::vomarine:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Slimnoid posted:

I know it's pre-alpha stuff but uuuugh it looks like upscaled DoW models.

Old news at this point.

Some of the extremely early footage they showed was basically just Space Marine multiplayer with unfinished maps. I'm not very optimistic for this game, though I will play the hell out of it if it isn't irredeemable garbage.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

You know the back of the box also states that it makes all those kits right? Its got a different name to differentiate it from the other box, thats it.

Same reason why there is a selection on GW's site for the Banehammer, the Shadowsword, the Baneblade, and others even though it's the same kit.

If you were new to the game and wanted a specific model you would have zero clue that Grognard's Bullshit Blaster was rolled into the same box as the Grognard Pile Driver.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?N=102352+4294966502&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=phl

Whoops, forgot to add:

Can't handle multiple boxes for multiple units.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 14, 2014

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

ijyt posted:

Cross-post because it's 40K, and no thread knows if something is 40K enough:

Don't change a thing, they're beautiful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ugh I just wish I could find one single drat thing in the Chaos Book that would be worth it to take against fliers , soooo frustrating. Do not suggest Heldrake and my friends don't play forgeworld.:(.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Does anyone have a definitive list of the 40k Dataslates and Formations? Just the names, and what book they're in? Not Apocalypse ones...

Also, a guy in our group is bringing a 30k Legion in the next campaign. He's running Raven Guard, and intends to field Marines in the hundreds. Will this be OK against 40k lists? He's convinced us all that its balanced, but I'm not entirely sure.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Ugh I just wish I could find one single drat thing in the Chaos Book that would be worth it to take against fliers , soooo frustrating. Do not suggest Heldrake and my friends don't play forgeworld.:(.

Quad gun on an Aegis Defence line or bunker and a Heldrake will do you fine against most opponents. With the exception of a necron army spamming night scythes or a flying circus you're probably going to come up against 1 or two flyers at most. Don't overthink it man. Play the missions and aim for the objecives.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 14, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I feel like quadguns never quite do it for me, but most of the time when I fight armies with flyers it's multiple Stormravens and they just take my lunchmoney.

Cultists! These were hastily kitbashed some time ago and I gave them a pretty simple paintjob, sticking to just a basic wash + highlight for most parts of them. After painting all the crisp, clean retro stuff it's liberating to paint something dirty and rusty.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Been long absent updating on my army.

Had a ton of fun painting Calgar. Got to start on his honour guard. I think they are my favourite marine models.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Also, a guy in our group is bringing a 30k Legion in the next campaign. He's running Raven Guard, and intends to field Marines in the hundreds. Will this be OK against 40k lists? He's convinced us all that its balanced, but I'm not entirely sure.

Its more balanced than regular 40k and I encourage you to play him and then tell the thread about the experience. There's a thing in the OP about it now too.

If he takes 100 marines, thats going to be a minimum of 1000 points of nothing but bolters and only bolters. Raven guard have :flaccid: rules- expect lots of marines, drop pods, and jetpacks. Don't expect much armor. They can re-roll the dice for turn order, have preferred enemy (special characters), and all their infantry have infiltrate and furious charge. For that they get to spend tons of points on regular old bolter marines.

He's going to have a hard time against MCs, Knight Titans, and plasma pie plates. He'll do pretty well against gunlines or the new objective missions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah facing multiple Stormtalons or facing off against Necron Flyer is just near drat impossible to deal with.

The latests I've done is sticking to a mix of Chaos Daemons and CSM in order to get a hopeful possession flyer.

Murderpacks w/ Autocannons help 10 Twinlinked ST7 shots are decent.

Just the one army have consistently eats my lunch, I've lately fell in love though with Slaanesh model armies and Icon of Excess, that's been super.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

More news on the GK front: First-turn deepstrike w/ not-Battle Focus confirmed.
Found this on B&C

Bionicman from B&C posted:

Native speaker here

Beschränkungen...
Limitations. All units have in this formation have to be from the faction of grey knights (or no faction) [It says "Fraktion" = faction, not codex]

KommandoBoni (Command Benefits)
Befehlshaber der...
Brotherhood Commander
If this contingent is your main contingent you can reroll your roll on the GK warlord traits chart

Riten der...
Instead of rolling for reserves at the beginning of second turn you can roll at the beginning of your first turn for all units of this formation kept in reserves. These units arrive your first turn on a roll of 3+ In addition, every unit of this formation arriving this way can run and shoot (in any order)

-> you can roll for every single unit of your formation (or have them arrive the "normal way" - first roll @ second turn)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Throb Robinson posted:

Been long absent updating on my army.

Had a ton of fun painting Calgar. Got to start on his honour guard. I think they are my favourite marine models.

Calgar vs the giant space pigeons. Shouldn't have deepstruck the bastion under powerlines.

Looks good!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hollismason posted:

If flyers are really giving you huge problems, take a Firestorm Redoubt. It's not cheap, but upgrading it with a Void Shield Generator and Magos Machine Spirit gives you four BS3 twin-linked Lascannon shots that will act completely independently of the rest of your army, gunning down whatever flyers the other guy brings. If you wanna go completely hardcore, you can even stick an extra Quad Gun on there as well; against that kind of hailstorm of shots, enemy flyers are not going to survive for long. To take proper advantage of it, you will also want to have a unit that you can stick inside (and possibly also on top), so some Havocs or Obliterators would be a solid choice.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The big, big, big thing to remember about 30K armies is that they are NOT Marines in the way you're used to. They don't bring mixed-in special or heavy weapons, they don't get have ATSKNF, and they just don't play the same at all. I think there may be some powerful builds available to them, though it's really hard to assess because of how different they are from other armies, but being vulnerable to morale is a huge limiter on them. Assault their unit with an MC, cause a few casualties, and Sweep that twenty-strong blob of guys. Cause a few shooting casualties, watch them roll a nine on Leadership, suddenly the unit is useless for a turn. These are things that Marines don't normally have to deal with, but 30K does, and it really makes them play a different sort of game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BULBASAUR posted:

If he takes 100 marines, thats going to be a minimum of 1000 points of nothing but bolters and only bolters. Raven guard have :flaccid: rules- expect lots of marines, drop pods, and jetpacks. Don't expect much armor. They can re-roll the dice for turn order, have preferred enemy (special characters), and all their infantry have infiltrate and furious charge. For that they get to spend tons of points on regular old bolter marines.

He's going to have a hard time against MCs, Knight Titans, and plasma pie plates. He'll do pretty well against gunlines or the new objective missions.

Also, beware of characters. From what I've seen, 30k Legions have some ridiculously nasty motherfuckers in their lineups, plus the primarchs.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
To go back to author chat from a few pages back, Kyme is the worst BL author I've read. He uses ridiculous words that need to be looked up, when simple words will do. For example, in the last book of his I read, he used "farinaceous" when "starchy" would have sufficed, and repeatedly uses "fuliginous" for "sooty", that kind of nonsense. His stories don't make up for the requirement of using a thesaurus either, with Eldar riding Not-Nids under a desert and other such bollocks.

On the retarded argument about boxing of the new GK stuff, that's the way GW have been going for ages now. They advertise the Gorkanaught and Morkanaught as 2 different boxes, even though it's one box that makes either. Same with every other multi-kit box they sell now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Nick Kyme annoys me greatly.

• Locked thread