Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

homeless snail posted:

What, you did know they were onion rings right? The Genesis just didn't have enough power to render breading.

They're clearly Funyuns. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

OH NO THAT IS ABSOLUTELY SOMETHING I WILL BE COMPELLED TO DO gently caress :supaburn:

If for some reason you ever find yourself in possession of other Wii U compatible controllers, you can just turn them on when you hit the end of the level and have everyone run up to the flagpole like that. It'll count, but it's still a pain in the rear end and I didn't think Nintendo was gonna do it again after 3D Land. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I guess you could do that... if you're a filthy cheater :colbert:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

ChaosArgate posted:

If for some reason you ever find yourself in possession of other Wii U compatible controllers, you can just turn them on when you hit the end of the level and have everyone run up to the flagpole like that. It'll count, but it's still a pain in the rear end and I didn't think Nintendo was gonna do it again after 3D Land. :(

Quest For Glory II posted:

I guess you could do that... if you're a filthy cheater :colbert:

Or you could just play with friends.

But then you have to have friends! :cry:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Nope I'm doing it legit because I don't know what's good for me.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CatsPajamas posted:

Or you could just play with friends.

But then you have to have friends! :cry:

Thanks Nintendo, now I have to pay 3 prostitutes to beat the game properly

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Yeah, I mean, it's not my favourite Mario game, but calling it a bad game is a bit of a stretch. You know what, though? PS1 outsold Nintendo 64 almost 3-1, so he wasn't the only one who felt like that, evidently.

Mario 64 suffers from the same issue as SMB for the NES: it was completely revolutionary when it came out and it set the standard for games of its type, but eventually its sequels refined its formula to the point that it feels primitive now.

Sure, it's not the best example of a 3D platformer now, but when it released nobody had done anything like it and games that came after it clearly used (and in some cases improved upon) its formula.

You pretty much had to play it when it came out - if you try to go back to it after playing Mario Galaxy you'll probably write it off because it's unrefined in comparison.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 14, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

All of your spergy arguments boil down to:

"(Insert Mario title here) was released when I was (insert age between 10-20) and I have very fond memories of playing it when I was most influenceable. Therefore (insert previously mentioned Mario title here) is the best Mario game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hekk posted:

"(Insert Mario title here) was released when I was (insert age between 10-20) and I have very fond memories of playing it when I was most influenceable. Therefore (insert previously mentioned Mario title here) is the best Mario game.

I'm not sure if your theory can address the availability of multiple Mario games during that period? Like, preferring Mario 2 vs Mario 3 vs World, or those who grew up with those but then settled on 64 or were blown away by Galaxy way down the line.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looks like Captain Toad is going to end up being slightly cheaper than full retail price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=596tiwt2z1qy

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JordanKai posted:

Looks like Captain Toad is going to end up being slightly cheaper than full retail price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=596tiwt2z1qy

Smart move, most of the people I know who are interested said that they wouldn't throw 60 bucks down.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Hekk posted:

I don't think you understand what spergy means. "I continue to have a strong emotional connection to something I once had an emotional connection to when I was younger", is not spergy. It's being a normal emotional person who feels nostalgia.

It's definitely spergy to start talking about the objective minutiae of why your favorite game is wrong because, gently caress emotions, the objective formula proves this game is better than the one you like.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 14, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hekk posted:

You know, with some judicious editing...

Hekk posted:

All spergy arguments boil down to:

"(thing) was released when I was (young) and I have very fond memories of it when I was most influenceable. Therefore (thing) is the best (thing).

Give me a credit in the footnotes when you publish your thesis.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I like Super Mario Sunshine, but concede it has many flaws.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Austrian mook posted:

This is basically my feeling on the game.

I really liked when I got all the Blue Coins and saved them up so I could get all the shines associated with them in one fell swoop.
I didn't like anything relating to boats. Especially ones on lava.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fremry posted:

I don't think you understand what spergy means. "I continue to have a strong emotional connection to something I once had an emotional connection to when I was younger", is not spergy. It's being a normal emotional person who feels nostalgia.

It's definitely spergy to start talking about the objective minutiae of why your favorite game is wrong because, gently caress emotions, the objective formula proves this game is better than the one you like.

It's this post, this post is the spergy one

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fremry posted:

You sperg, I am familiar with the definition of the term. Are you familiar with pejoratives?

Also, two pages of people arguing about which Mario is subjectively "better".

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The best undisputed Mario has always been Starfox Adventures for the Gamecube anyways.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Austrian mook posted:

This is a reasonable statement, and I agree with it.

Besides, Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game, anyway. :colbert:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Hekk posted:

You sperg, I am familiar with the definition of the term. Are you familiar with pejoratives?

Also, two pages of people arguing about which Mario is subjectively "better".

I'm just tired of people using the word sperg for anything they don't like. It's the equivalent of hipster, only it's exclusive to Internet message boards.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Fremry posted:

I'm just tired of people using the word sperg for anything they don't like. It's the equivalent of hipster, only it's exclusive to Internet message boards.

You know, I agree with you, and have said the exact same thing--"hipster" comparison included--to friends of mine. But seriously, did you think this was the thread to make that stand?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Sarchasm posted:

You know, I agree with you, and have said the exact same thing--"hipster" comparison included--to friends of mine. But seriously, did you think this was the thread to make that stand?

Nah, just simultaneously pointing out that it's extremely normal for people to be nostalgic as well as pointing out that spergy is a stupid phrase that means nothing anymore.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Maybe if you stopped being so spergy people would stop using the word spergy around you so much

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Sunshine had really good platforming though, people who say otherwise need to play it again. The aesthetic wears out its welcome, there are really lovely objectives (blue coins, that leaf boat, random paint poo poo), and there are fewer levels overall so the clunkers like that loving hotel really stand out. But it has some really good levels to explore with solid, challenging platforming. It's definitely an uneven experience and I never had a desire to go back to it, whereas I 100% Mario 64 a half-dozen times.

I liked the hotel. :buddy: Though all I really remember of it is that one mission with that one giant manta ray that split into a hundred tiny little rays.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fremry posted:

hahahahahahahaha

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Where did "burgin'" come from? Wasn't that a fyad thing? Thanks to the internet, any time I hear of Asperger syndrome, I can't help but want a hamburger or two.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So just to clarify, my options for playing Super mario bros 3 are...

1) Dig up my old NES/SNES
2) Download original NES version on Virtual Console
3) Track down GBA version
4) mario all stars on wii

Hmm.... is there any version that is slightly easier? Like more powerups or a more frequent save system? I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 14, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hmm.... is there any version that is slightly easier? Like more powerups or a more frequent save system? I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Are you making GBS threads on my dick or are you legitimately bad at SMB3?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'd totally go buy Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 since I've never played them but that'd be like $130AUD so Mario Sunshine is my pick for BM (Best Mario)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not Eek posted:

I'd totally go buy Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 since I've never played them but that'd be like $130AUD so Mario Sunshine is my pick for BM (Best Mario)

Try $30 each from OzGameShop.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Not Eek posted:

Yeah it's a bowel movement alright BANG ZOOM STRAIGHT TO THE MOON

(Sunshine's alright but people who say it's better than 64 are crazy people that's my Mario opinion and I'm stickin' to it)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

Super Mario bros. 3 on the NES or SNES(Mario All Stars) using a Game Genie with Skywalking and Always big Mario codes enabled.

You'll beat the game in under 15 minutes.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try $30 each from OzGameShop.

Fuuuck.

Addin' to the backlog.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not Eek posted:

Fuuuck.

Addin' to the backlog.

Just so you know; the site's in the UK so they'll take about a week or so to turn up.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Narcissus1916 posted:

If you buy it on the Wii U Virtual Console you can use save states.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Does the Wii U work the same way as the 3DS where your eShop purchases are tied to the physical console?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Super Mario bros. 3 on the NES or SNES(Mario All Stars) using a Game Genie with Skywalking and Always big Mario codes enabled.

You'll beat the game in under 15 minutes.

Please, if you're a Mario 3 vet, you can already beat it in under 10 while having dinner.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Not Eek posted:

You could probably get them second hand for $50 for both

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You could buy 'em new for that much from Big W or some other department store, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
If someone is bad at Mario 3, I vaguely recall that the SNES version made a few things sliiightly easier, like adding a second block next to a block you drop down onto. I feel like the GBA version was even more slightly easier like that too, but don't remember details.

Pretty much any remake of SMB3 should have fixed a few things and made some things a tiny bit easier, and the NES one is the original.

EDIT - The GBA version seems to have quite a number of minor changes to it, some to account for smaller screen space, some to make things easier!
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_snes2sma_w1.shtml

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread