Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Something I found myself curious about, and I figured this was the best thread to ask - the North Korean military once came super close to conquering the whole peninsula and handing the US their first total defeat in war. How did they end up going from that to the huge-but-barely-equipped joke they are these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Flesnolk posted:

Something I found myself curious about, and I figured this was the best thread to ask - the North Korean military once came super close to conquering the whole peninsula and handing the US their first total defeat in war. How did they end up going from that to the huge-but-barely-equipped joke they are these days?

There's no Soviet Union propping them up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The state of the art for equipment has advanced much more rapidly than North Korea's domestic armaments industry.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

wdarkk posted:

There's no Soviet Union propping them up.

Probably had more to do with the Chinese offensive. The war started in June 1950, by September US forces crossed into North Korea and started stomping around. The swing back towards a "War we may actually lose" came when the PRC invaded to prop up a pretty much dead Korean army.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Flesnolk posted:

They had China to help them out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Isn't the structure of the North Korean state a total mess not at all conducive to a modern military as well, so the past few decades haven't been very kind to them?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The Inmingun was a very pretty little infantry, but it got badly hurt during the first part of the Korean War, while almost pushing the US out of Korea. There's a difference between a bunch of guys who learned their trade fighting in China during World War 2 and...whatever it is they do now.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 13, 2014

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Rhymenoserous posted:

Probably had more to do with the Chinese offensive. The war started in June 1950, by September US forces crossed into North Korea and started stomping around. The swing back towards a "War we may actually lose" came when the PRC invaded to prop up a pretty much dead Korean army.

Didn't the "US is almost pushed out of Korea" bit happen BEFORE the Chinese entered the war? I thought the Chinese just reversed all the gains the US made north of the border but didn't get that close to finishing things.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, the initial North Korean offensive pushed US and South Korean forces all the way to Busan. The Chinese entered when the North was pushed up to the Yalu River, and things ended up pretty much just where they began.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

North Korea suffered an economic collapse in the mid-1970s and never recovered. As a result they couldn't afford to purchase more modern equipment from abroad, and their military has to make do with '70s-era Soviet export kit. They fell even further in the 1990s after the collapse of the USSR and a major crop failure that led to a famine, and they've been a failed state for the past 20 years or so. This means that their already poorly-equipped military can't afford to train or maintain a very high standard of readiness, and it also leads to ridiculous stuff like the average NK army soldier being like a foot shorter than his South Korean counterpart.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Also come to think of it, aren't SK and the US much more ready for a war compared to when NK invaded?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

xthetenth posted:

Also come to think of it, aren't SK and the US much more ready for a war compared to when NK invaded?

Yes, the SK army was a pretty big joke, and the US was in to SAC Uber Alles at the time and didn't give a gently caress about ground pounding.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

They mostly fought poorly equipped South Koreans for the first month of the war. There was only a single American division in Korea during that period of time. It wasn't really an accomplishment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Flesnolk posted:

I would also dispute the fact that it would have been a total dispute of US forces, even if the North Korean forces had succeeded. I don't think there was really much of a US force in South Korea at the time anyway, it was mostly a South Korean show. Even if the Pusan pocket was eliminated, it probably would have been a total defeat of American forces in the same way that the Japanese invasion of the Philippines was a total defeat of the US in WWII.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also bear in mind that that single US division at the start of the Korean war didn't have any heavy equipment with it. The NK Army was rolling around in T34-85's and the US troops didn't have anything that could handle them.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Also bear in mind that that single US division at the start of the Korean war didn't have any heavy equipment with it. The NK Army was rolling around in T34-85's and the US troops didn't have anything that could handle them.

I think they had a few bazookas for AT, which just bounced off of the T-34s armor.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PittTheElder posted:

I would also dispute the fact that it would have been a total dispute of US forces, even if the North Korean forces had succeeded. I don't think there was really much of a US force in South Korea at the time anyway, it was mostly a South Korean show. Even if the Pusan pocket was eliminated, it probably would have been a total defeat of American forces in the same way that the Japanese invasion of the Philippines was a total defeat of the US in WWII.

Exactly.

poo poo, just look at how it played out historically. We didn't erupt out of Busan so much as we staged a large-scale invasion half way up the peninsula at Inchon. We could have done those landings with or without Busan still being there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wasn't Inchon a potential disaster in the making? If Halberstrom can be believed, the only thing that prevented that was Il-Sumg not believing everyone who told him that was where the invasion was going to be.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

sullat posted:

Wasn't Inchon a potential disaster in the making? If Halberstrom can be believed, the only thing that prevented that was Il-Sumg not believing everyone who told him that was where the invasion was going to be.

Yup. That push was a potential colossal disaster. If NK troops had been ready for the invasion at low tide...would have been a massacre.

Same with the attack on Gimpo airport. Push a marine battalion across a totally flat space with no cover? Ok Mac, whatever you say.

Also, one of the main reasons the SK army was woefully under equipped? Truman was worried Syngman Rhee was going to surprise attack the north if he had the manpower and supplies. Dude was a vehement anti-communist and had threatened action in the past.

The whole division of Korea post-war is coldwar.txt personified.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
It's somewhat ironic in the cold war context that the one time the US doesn't prop up a rabidly anti-communist dictator, it lead to a war anyway.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A prominent Russian historian, famous for work on research into Lithuanian collaborators in WWII, has just been arrested in Vilnius where he was headed for a book presentation :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MA-Horus posted:

Yup. That push was a potential colossal disaster. If NK troops had been ready for the invasion at low tide...would have been a massacre.

Same with the attack on Gimpo airport. Push a marine battalion across a totally flat space with no cover?.

and Ike had a speech pre written for Overlord getting pushed into the sea. Very few things in war are a sure bet. Sometimes you gamble big and collapse the whole PRK line and roll them all the way to the border, sometimes you end up executing an amazing first strike only to discover the carriers aren't in port.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

and Ike had a speech pre written for Overlord getting pushed into the sea. Very few things in war are a sure bet. Sometimes you gamble big and collapse the whole PRK line and roll them all the way to the border, sometimes you end up executing an amazing first strike only to discover the carriers aren't in port.

Is there a copy of the speech somewhere, because thats something Id be very interested in reading?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's actually really short, you can find the whole transcription right here.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a big difference between having a sound plan well executed that nevertheless goes wrong, and a total clusterfuck that only succeeds because the enemy are more incompetent than you are.

Risk is inherent to warfare, but not all risks are the same.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Flesnolk posted:

It's actually really short, you can find the whole transcription right here.

IIRC, the story goes that Ike kept this letter on his person throughout D Day, and it was only discovered later on by an aide checking pockets while doing laundry

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

A prominent Russian historian, famous for work on research into Lithuanian collaborators in WWII, has just been arrested in Vilnius where he was headed for a book presentation :(
Why? What happened?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HEY GAL posted:

Why? What happened?

I don't know anything about it, but presumably this is the story:

ITAR-TASS posted:

VILNIUS, August 14, /ITAR-TASS/. Russian historian and writer Alexander Dyukov, who is director of the Historical Memory Foundation, was detained at the Vilnius international airport on Wednesday on grounds his name was on the list of persons banned from entry to Lithuania.

Dyukov told Itar-Tass over the phone he had no idea why his name had been put on that blacklist. “I deal with history and am far from politics. My interests are purely scholarly - I study the 20th century history,” he said.

“They gave me a protocol saying I had been put on the list of people banned from entry to Lithuania,” he went on, adding he did not know what had been behind this move of the Lithuanian authorities.

Dyukov said he planned to change his air tickets and leave for Moscow on August 15.

He arrived in the Lithuanian capital city to present his book On the Eve of the Holocaust planned for Thursday. The presentation was planned to be held at the premises of a news agency. Organizers also planned to hold a conference on that topic.

http://en.itar-tass.com/world/744866

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Kaal posted:

I don't know anything about it, but presumably this is the story:

I did a short search, and my guess is they have the wrong guy:

http://www.gazprom-neft.com/company/management/management.php

A dude with a same name is in Gazprom Neft management board, so I might be wrong, but it seems likely.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They have the right guy:

quote:

Russian historian and director of the Moscow-based Historical Memory Foundation Alexander Dyukov, a persona non grata in Lithuania, was on Thursday not allowed to enter the Baltic country and was sent back to Moscow.

http://en.delfi.lt/lithuania/foreign-affairs/blacklisted-russian-historian-denied-entry-to-lithuania.d?id=65555810#ixzz3AMJykySA

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Those fuckers.

Thank you for the information, guys.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
He's a persona non grata in Lithuania because he's done work about Lithuanians that collaborated with Germans during WWII? Am I getting that right?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That doesn't really make any sense. He can simply use any video chat tool, and if Lithuanian government wanted to block the message it has reverse effect.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

He's a persona non grata in Lithuania because he's done work about Lithuanians that collaborated with Germans during WWII? Am I getting that right?

Reading wikipedia, it seems like the context was that he was making some pro-soviet arguments that drew the ire of the Latvian government, that somehow got him blacklisted in 2012, not just from Latvia, but also the entire Schengen Area. Which seems a bit nuts, even if you disagree with his work.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Reading wikipedia, it seems like the context was that he was making some pro-soviet arguments that drew the ire of the Latvian government, that somehow got him blacklisted in 2012, not just from Latvia, but also the entire Schengen Area. Which seems a bit nuts, even if you disagree with his work.
Even if? poo poo like that is never a proper response to science you disagree with.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAL posted:

Even if? poo poo like that is never a proper response to science you disagree with.

Would you expect Israel to openly welcome David Irving? Like it or not, WW2 genocides and genocide denial are still a sore point to many nations, especially when you could openly discuss it only decades later when Gorby started glasnost and then Soviet Union collapsed.

Holocaust deniers really should look into older genocides, you're much less likely to run into problems by saying that it is an indisputable fact that the Swedish army treated German population with great reverence during the 30 years war and that all claims to the contrary are just papist lies.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 14, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Would you expect Israel to openly welcome David Irving?
Holocaust denial isn't science.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAL posted:

Holocaust denial isn't science.

Then Dyukov is not a scientist but a mere Stalin apologist.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Nm. Already answered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If I was running Israel, I would allow Irving to enter. Short of actual genocide advocacy, few opinions are sufficiently bad, in my view, to justify state restrictions on individual travel.

The ugliness of historical study in Eastern Europe is depressing, really. I think the point of history should be to try and establish a sense of common humanity, to prevent recurrence of old mistakes. Instead, history is too often instead used as bludgeon against one's current opponents, and to pretend your own side is and has always been coated in glory. I don't think any good is going to come out of this.

• Locked thread