Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ReidRansom posted:

I still see the occasional Al-Aqsa, but are there any Red Guard still around? Feels like they went extinct with the forum.

I think most of them that were still posting went to offsites when LF closed or changed their avs sometime in the last... what, four years?

e: SAclopedia says three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the red guard went into the west, and diminished.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's still a few around:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603375&pagenumber=131&perpage=40#post433342231
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3620596&pagenumber=6#post427597663

Also, fun fact: mods can still give people forums cancer.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ReidRansom posted:

I still see the occasional Al-Aqsa, but are there any Red Guard still around? Feels like they went extinct with the forum.

Every once in a great while I still see a Red Guard tag, but it has been an awfully long time since I saw one last. Guess their revolutionary enthusiasm was lacking, after all.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I keep saying that Lowtax needs to make me mod of FYAD, to turn it into a new LF. One fashioned in my own image. So that I can taste the blubbery lard-tears of Paradol Ex.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
baw still has that av FSAD gave him that restricted him to the thread that was a parody of medicalizing dissent.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
At this point, I actually do think that D&D has absorbed most of the good parts of LF, so evilweasel was right :eyepop:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Majorian posted:

I keep saying that Lowtax needs to make me mod of FYAD, to turn it into a new LF. One fashioned in my own image. So that I can taste the blubbery lard-tears of Paradol Ex.

Is it still the same FYAD crew, or is it a slowly rotating cast?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

baw still has that av FSAD gave him that restricted him to the thread that was a parody of medicalizing dissent.

fsad actually showed up in a thread to be like "no hard feelings, hey?" about that. mending old posting wounds :unsmith:

fsads gbs thread about volunteering in africa where he slowly started dropping hints that he was radicalizing the villagers and inciting them to murder priests is still one of my favorite things ever.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Joementum posted:

so evilweasel was right :eyepop:
hard to imagine :wmwink:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cheekio posted:

Is it still the same FYAD crew, or is it a slowly rotating cast?

They will all be deemed rootless cosmopolitans and sent for reeducation.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

At this point, I actually do think that D&D has absorbed most of the good parts of LF, so evilweasel was right :eyepop:

No, most of the decent LF posters just got sick of D&D, and went offsite. Call it retreating to echo-chambers if you want, I guess.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

yeah but what about the anime and maoism thir... oh.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
To be fair, D&D also absorbed the political cartoons thread, so it got the worst of LF as well.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
MTW was for johnny-come-lately slackers and lazy trolls. JDPEN was the objectively correct thing to ironically advocate for.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

fsad actually showed up in a thread to be like "no hard feelings, hey?" about that. mending old posting wounds :unsmith:

fsads gbs thread about volunteering in africa where he slowly started dropping hints that he was radicalizing the villagers and inciting them to murder priests is still one of my favorite things ever.

He was a pretty great mod.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

To be fair, D&D also absorbed the political cartoons thread, so it got the worst of LF as well.

I'd argue that while the non-edits are the worst parts of D&D now, the edits are some of the best parts.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
See I always thought the Freep thread was the worst part.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I wish I had been around to post in LF

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i miss like 1-2 months ago when you could post current events threads in gbs

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Swan Oat posted:

It was pretty drat awesome for a while, but got kinda dumb by the end.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Swan Oat posted:

To be fair like the conundrum of LF was that like 25% of it was really solid posts and interesting megathreads, but people forget that the other 75% was people being assholes, posting "ironically", and trying to be edgy.

Also that it was a reaction to D&D as it was up until recently.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

it was okay until the cliques solidified and it got turned into ~20 of the most unpleasant motherfuckers on the planet posting in every thread freaking the gently caress out over the stupidest things imaginable

holy poo poo you dont brew your own beer? kill your loving self literally unironically die. also here's slashie to guilt trip you for saying you played outside as a kid.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

THS posted:

i miss like 1-2 months ago when you could post current events threads in gbs

you used to be able to start new threads in D&D too.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

made of bees posted:

See I always thought the Freep thread was the worst part.

No you're right the Freep thread is. :getin:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

also there was too much anime

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

LF was awesome until the 08 elections were over, pretty good for awhile after that, and a second-tier FYAD wannabe after.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This is an archive of the former website of the Maoist Internationalist Movement, which was run by the now defunct Maoist Internationalist Party - Amerika. The MIM now consists of many independent cells, many of which have their own indendendent organs both online and off. MIM(Prisons) serves these documents as a service to and reference for the anti-imperialist movement worldwide.

A radical attack on class, nation and gender oppression: Shrek 2

"Shrek 2"
1 hour 45 minutes

Gender bureaucrat enemy of the people "Fairy Godmother" lives a life of dogmatism following the scripts in "Cinderella," "Snow White" and such books that she keeps in her library. Living off the exploited workers, and selling hocus-pocus to the people like many other unproductive sector flim-flam artists we can think of today, Fairy Godmother spreads her poisonous visions of the future everywhere and lords over even the king himself.

Seeking to appropriate the sexuality of the king's daughter for her son, Fairy Godmother does her best to spread speciesist propaganda against ogres, one of which already married the king's daughter, thus making her unavailable to the Fairy Godmother's son. The evil speciesist propaganda finds fertile grounds in the king's mind and most of the people of the kingdom.

Highly class conscious characters including Pinocchio watching television immediately see through the pigdom's entertainment media, get off the couch and rush to help their compatriots locked up while filmed for a cop show. Once out of prison, our heroes rely on a toiling baker to launch on all-out assault on the bastion of reaction, the castle taken over by Fairy Godmother's plotting.

Using the past to serve the present as Mao instructed artists, the directors of "Shrek 2" rattle off cultural references like machine-gun fire. Making Godzilla sounds and tearing down Starbucks on the way to the castle, our heroes arrive in time to do battle with the Fairy Godmother. Borrowing a move from another movie, the king dives to absorb the attack from the Fairy Godmother and he ends up turning into a frog. By running the king-to-frog cultural reference in reverse and making a Godzilla type character a hero, the directors of "Shrek 2" show just how upside down and backwards our culture is.

Voices of Hollywood actors considered sexy go into "Shrek 2"---Antonio Bandera for example--but the rich and beautiful people do not appear in the film, which is an animation. The film explores the subjective notion of "cuteness" and ends up throwing the whole notion to the wind, much to the chagrin of the gender aristocracy and gender bureacracy everywhere. Even the cute, fluffy white dog died when Shrek dove into the concert pit, punk-style.

We only hope that there is a "Shrek 3," in which the newly-weds rampage through the rest of the society and culture. Otherwise the message will be that society has to be attacked just for the love of two people. Misguided people may watch this movie instead of doing something about the carnage in Iraq and when it comes their turn, they may lash out in violence "in the name of love." That's why there needs to be a "Shrek 3" in which the united workers of all species liberate themselves. We'd also point out to viewers that our heroes never killed anyone just for "love." Good riddance to the Fairy Godmother: she had it coming for a lot of reasons.

You can send in your comments on this movie and review to mim3@mim.org, the Web Minister.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

it was okay until the cliques solidified and it got turned into ~20 of the most unpleasant motherfuckers on the planet posting in every thread freaking the gently caress out over the stupidest things imaginable

holy poo poo you dont brew your own beer? kill your loving self literally unironically die. also here's slashie to guilt trip you for saying you played outside as a kid.

I'd rate lil hulkster as the worst of that, though I did get a chance to call him an colossal loving moron once which was sweet.

That sort of reminds me, what ever happened to Butt Cord? He was dense as poo poo, but almost worth having around for the variations on "[POSTER] pulls the butt cord!" lines that inevitably accompanied his terrible posts.

Pope Guilty posted:

LF was awesome until the 08 elections were over, pretty good for awhile after that, and a second-tier FYAD wannabe after.

The PR0N HaUL thread alone justified LF's existence, regardless of later excesses.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'd rate lil hulkster as the worst of that, though I did get a chance to call him an colossal loving moron once which was sweet.

That sort of reminds me, what ever happened to Butt Cord? He was dense as poo poo, but almost worth having around for the variations on "[POSTER] pulls the butt cord!" lines that inevitably accompanied his terrible posts.

The PR0N HaUL thread alone justified LF's existence, regardless of later excesses.

One of my probations is for "Trolling the Ron Paul thread", which is pretty funny in retrospect.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LF was worth it for the Hitler actors thread.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah sorry im late i just got back from the hospital... no im fine, i had to take heebs-g. uh-huh. yeaaaaah. like this:

So im talkin to heebs about this and that and i mention ive been listenin to Cuban Linx 2 and he gets all excited and says "you know wha? I just finished an album myself!" and i was like, whoa, i didn't know you did... music? and he said "yeah bro yeah! i make raps!" and im thinking oh my god and he says "i was gonna wait till friday to let it drop but if you wanna come over i can give you a sneak peak" and im thinking oh my god i gotta hear this

so we drive over to his place and on the way im asking him about his raps and all and he starts doing these unbefuckinglievable freestyles, with like 5-second pauses between words and his eyebrows all knit together like he cracking codes, but they sounded like this:

"i got a grill so big if i were a dragon i could cook hot dogs on it/
i call my friends bro not dogg, dog gone it/
whenever anyone tries to rag me on it/
i tell them theyre dillwads and to stuff a wad of rags in it"

and im doing my best to look real serious while hes mean-muggin and FINALLY we get to his house and he goes in this back room and i hear all this thrashing around and im thinking, poo poo does he actually have boxes of cds back there, is he unpacking things, what's going on and finally i hear him yell "hey come give me a hand with this" so i go back there and he's got this... oh my god. this thing:

as far as i can tell its like a kiddy pool, but covered in aluminum foil. and like theres all these holes in it, with barcode stickers... from everything man. cut-out barcodes from frosted flakes taped in. in the holes. hundreds of them. and i realize he doesnt have boxes of cds, he MADE HIS OWN ALBUM, like, out of stuff. like he understands that cds are shiny and digital but beyond that... im not gonna try and figure this out man but just take my word for it, he was proud as poo poo of this thing

ok so it wasnt going to fit through the door, so he said he'd show it to me "in the studio," which was this lovely room covered in foil scraps and tapewads and like answering machines from 1994, and i said "but i can see it real good man" and he laughs and pulls out this laser pointer and says "bro. you need to HEAR it!" and then he gets this double-handed grip on the laser pointer right, juts out his tongue and aims and shoots the laser. and he starts moving the laser dot real slow and careful like in a circle, around the "cd". and im thinking oh my god he actually thinks this will make sound somehow. he thinks hes gonna make raps come out of that thing. and he starts moving the laser faster and faster and gets this look, man, like this horror shock, like wile e. coyote trying to run in midair.

and i tell him--im about to bust a gut trying not to laugh at his arts-and-crafts cargo cult poo poo--i tell him real gentle "hey man youre an innovator. you made the album, you can make a way to play it" and then i left and loving cracked up

but then that night like 12:30 am i get this call, from heebs number but hes not on the phone, i hear this wheezin, then finally i hear heebs real weak saying "bro... bro... the cd... can't breathe" so i rush over there and hes, ok, hes in his bedroom, theres a huge hole in the ceiling, the ceiling fan is on top of the cd, and the cds on top of heebs... he loving tried to duck tape his cd to a ceiling fan so it would spin. and it all fell on him and broke two ribs.

i couldnt keep myself from laughing... and hes laying there all covered in plaster wheezing at me all angry like "fuhhc hayooo bbro" and its makin me laugh even harder. i felt kinda bad for encouraging him but man... what was he thinking

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That was a Helldump thread. It was pretty great though regardless.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

inrateal's buying a car! haha it's a weed car. sweet sticky nugtires for extra grip, no slip, got a V8th and a lighter, you betcha, time to whet your whistle and break of a bristle of dank from this herb-tank! beep beep say whaaaaa it's eco-friendly!? highbrid BITCH

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Swan Oat posted:

No you don't. Trust me.

zoux posted:

LF was worth it for the Hitler actors thread.

That thread, the Let's play serbia thread (except autopsy-turvey turned out to be a huge weirdo), the 100 days of obama thread, grover haus thread, and the thread that had all the reasons why people got/did not get security clearance in the federal government were all great threads.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 14, 2014

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Has anyone ever read the Wikipedia entry on the Austrian School of economics? It's hilarious.

Wikipedia posted:

General criticisms[edit]
Mainstream economists have argued that Austrians are often averse to the use of mathematics and statistics in economics.[84]

Economist Bryan Caplan argues that many Austrians have not understood valid contributions of modern mainstream economics, causing them to overstate their differences with it. For example, Murray Rothbard stated that he objected to the use of cardinal utility in microeconomic theory. Caplan says that Rothbard did not understand the position he was attacking, because microeconomic theorists go to great pains to show that their results are derived for any monotonic transformation of an ordinal utility function, and do not entail cardinal utility.[21][85] The result is that conclusions about utility preferences hold no matter what values are assigned to them.[citation needed]

Economist Paul Krugman has stated that because Austrians do not use "explicit models" they are unaware of holes in their own thinking.[86] In February 2013, Krugman further criticized Austrian School economists on their failure to revise their theory of inflation in light of their incorrect prophecies of government-induced inflation following the 2008 financial crisis.[87]

Economist Benjamin Klein has criticized the economic methodological work of Austrian economist Israel M. Kirzner. While praising Kirzner for highlighting shortcomings in traditional methodology, Klein argued that Kirzner did not provide a viable alternative for economic methodology.[88] Economist Tyler Cowen has written that Kirzner's theory of entrepreneurship can ultimately be reduced to a neoclassical search model and is thus not in the radical subjectivist tradition of Austrian praxeology. Cowen states that Kirzner's entrepreneurs can be modeled in mainstream terms of search.[89]

Economist Jeffrey Sachs argues that among developed countries, those with high rates of taxation and high social welfare spending perform better on most measures of economic performance compared to countries with low rates of taxation and low social outlays. He concludes that Friedrich Hayek was wrong to argue that high levels of government spending harms an economy, and "a generous social-welfare state is not a road to serfdom but rather to fairness, economic equality and international competitiveness."[90] Austrian economist Sudha Shenoy responded by arguing that countries with large public sectors have grown more slowly.[91]

Methodology[edit]
Critics generally argue that Austrian economics lacks scientific rigor and rejects scientific methods and the use of empirical data in modelling economic behavior.[10][84][92] Some economists describe Austrian methodology as being a priori or non-empirical.[10][20][84][93]

Economist Mark Blaug has criticized over-reliance on methodological individualism, arguing it would rule out all macroeconomic propositions that cannot be reduced to microeconomic ones, and hence reject almost the whole of received macroeconomics.[94]

Economist Thomas Mayer has stated that Austrians advocate a rejection of the scientific method which involves the development of empirically falsifiable theories.[92][93] Furthermore, many supporters of using models of market behavior to analyze and test economic theory argue that economists have developed numerous experiments that elicit useful information about individual preferences.[95][96]

Economist Leland Yeager rejects many favorite views of the Misesian group of Austrians, in particular, "These include the specifics of their business-cycle theory, ultra-subjectivism in value theory and particularly in interest-rate theory, their insistence on unidirectional causality rather than general interdependence, and their fondness for methodological brooding, pointless profundities, and verbal gymnastics. Provoked by mainstream abuses of mathematics, including the frequent merely decorative and pretentious use of symbols, some Austrians have wanted to ban mathematics from economics. But is it not arrogant for someone who does not see how to use certain techniques constructively to suppose that no one else will ever see how either? These Austrians should remember how, in other contexts, they emphasize the openness of the future and scope for novelty."[97]

It also contains a choice with a quote from Milton Friedman himself, who says:

Milton Friedman posted:

I think the Austrian business-cycle theory has done the world a great deal of harm. If you go back to the 1930s, which is a key point, here you had the Austrians sitting in London, Hayek and Lionel Robbins, and saying you just have to let the bottom drop out of the world. You’ve just got to let it cure itself. You can’t do anything about it. You will only make it worse. You have Rothbard saying it was a great mistake not to let the whole banking system collapse. I think by encouraging that kind of do-nothing policy both in Britain and in the United States, they did harm.[105]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

He was and he deserves respect for it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Like most revolutions, it sucked once the revolution ended.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ReindeerF posted:

Like most revolutions, it sucked once the revolution ended.

Speaking of which, how's the junta treating ya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
All praise to the glorious NCPO for restoring happiness and order.

• Locked thread