Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Pretty sure that's an LRAD device on the right in this image:

This is all pure intimidation, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Didn't the Ferguson police mention that they wanted protests to end before dark? Is that an actual curfew being issued, or is it just a suggestion/veiled threat that they will gently caress them up if they aren't home by the time the streetlights come on?

Look, if the founders wanted you to have the right to assemble, they'd have put something about it in the Bill of Rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Jamelle Bouie ‏@jbouie 4m
Police loudspeaker: "Your right to assembly is not being denied."

lmfao

Did they do the jedi hand-wave when they said this?

"You can peaceably assemble, just not in any public places or your own front yard. Now disperse before I shoot you with the rifle I have pointed at your face."

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I hope the FBI takes this poo poo entirely over. I heard they were monitoring the situation; has any progress been made on that?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Un-l337-Pork posted:

They are itching to blast that LRAD. I bet they crank those suckers all the way up.

I wonder if LRAD's go to 11...

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Seeing several tweets about how Maria Chapelle-Nadal, the state senator from the press conference/vine who asked about being tear gassed, is now in police custody.

edit: nevermind, see above.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Apparently the SWAT teams are loudly chanting WE HAVE CONTROL, WE KEEP YOU SAFE, WE ARE YOUR HOPE.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Teddybear posted:

I hope the FBI takes this poo poo entirely over. I heard they were monitoring the situation; has any progress been made on that?

The cops are going to go batshit on those crowds in a little more than an hour and no one is going to do anything about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Segmentation Fault posted:

Apparently the SWAT teams are loudly chanting WE HAVE CONTROL, WE KEEP YOU SAFE, WE ARE YOUR HOPE.

I'm sure it's got to be frustrating for the bootlickers who sincerely believe they are all that stands between the good people and the bad people. It would make it difficult to recognize that at that moment, they are the bad people.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
gently caress it, I'm on the way. I like bad situations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVrziJOe5x0

poo poo, I'm sorry, this was posted earlier.

Whatever, watch it again, this is heinous.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

What on earth? What makes you say Brown hadn't integrated? He graduated from high school and was going to college. How might he have signaled a sufficient degree of integration?

The present culture of St. Louis will not accept the fact that all men are created equal. In the eyes of the Ferguson police, Brown could never integrate. The culture does not allow him to signal integration. That is the true horridness of St. Louis: while the rest of the country has begun to move on from permanent otherization, St. Louis has not.

Naet posted:

I'll wait for your larger argument, but I'd already say that St. Louis is not unique in either of those two regards.

I realize. However, it is unique in that it wants to have the clout of a city with the governing culture of a small town.

Zeitgueist posted:

That's not to say great strides haven't been made. They have. This is a world where I can marry my fiancee, in a state where it would have been illegal in my grandfathers day, or even my fathers. But not as much has changed as whites like to think.

I do not disagree with this. However, in St. Louis, life has gotten worse for everybody, white and black. And they don't even have the shame to hide that fact, much less the shame to implement policy to change it.

So I stated,

"So, what can the city do to prevent future riots? Do you want unrealistic policy suggestions or suggestions of what is possible, politically acceptable, and profitable? The first is easy and has obvious answers, and will never happen. The second may be cynical, borderline illegal, certainly immoral, and would still be better than the status quo."

To determine the impact of policy, the baseline must first be established. What is the statis quo of life for non-white individuals in St. Louis? Unlike other cities in the Midwest, even the black elite in St. Louis are unable to adopt to majority culture, to 'act white' in their lives. The racists in St. Louis haven't even moved to differentiating 'the good ones' from 'niggers': if you're black, you're not white. The issue is still black or white in St. Louis. So what policies can be enacted in St. Louis?

Its necessary to view the context of culture in St. Louis as if it were the culture of a southern city just entering 1950. Policy to address cultural issues is most effective when implemented through indirect incentives and costs. While it would be easy to say "All police in St. Louis County should be employed by the county," the structure of government currently in place does not allow this. Therefore, it would be easier to implement policies at either the municipal, state, or Federal level.

For instance: One of the projects I worked on in St. Louis was black historical preservation and promotion. I say "historical" when elsewhere I would use "cultural" since St. Louis does not recognize that it has a black culture separate from white culture. For instance, some cultural sites in St. Louis: Scott Joplin House. First Baptist Church. The Arch's museum. MO History Museum. Walk of Fame. Black Repertory Theatre. These are all white-designated culture. What are the attendance rates and demographics? What are the board compositions? And, how do these compare with the non-black cultural sites, especially regarding their perception by the black community in St. Louis.

My point is this, that the community is not even empowered to recognize its culture separate from white-approved culture. White culture is south of Delmar, black culture is north. White culture is going to Soulard Market on a Saturday morning at 4 am to get the freshest produce at an affordable rate. White culture is spending a day at the art museum and walking forest park. What programs are funded which target specifically black culture in Missouri? I can name plenty of endowments, corporate sponsors, Federal funding streams, yet in St. Louis, these sources seem to go to the same groups within a small network.

So, what realistic policy options are there which would disproportionately benefit black individuals in St. Louis? Not many. The city cannot annex the county; counties work best when they have a clear county seat of government, when the interests of one city are recognized as the interests of the county. The county government in St. Louis is centered in Clayton. It heavily recruits from Washington University and its networks are inseparable from the university. Therefore, to make the interests of St. Louis county government representative of the interests of St. Louis city, it is necessary to examine policy which motivates WashU to better represent the area.

For instance, the Department of Education could request that WashU supply it with all records pertaining to applicants and students residing within St. Louis County. What are the demographics of these students? What is their average financial aid award? What does this aid consist of---is WashU offering students primarily aid in the form of loans, or is it offering aid in the form of scholarships? Is any specific group within St. Louis County disproportionately benefited or impacted by WashU's policies? WashU wants to have a reputation of an ivy; the ivies waive tuition and fees, residential requirements, boarding charges for individuals who make under X amount. Does WashU do the same? If not, should it be treated like an ivy by the DoE, and should it be afforded the presumption of operating as a non-profit university if it is not fulfilling its mission as a non-profit institution? Compare WashU with UChicago or UIUC and see a world of difference. As corrupted those two latter institutions may be, they have nowhere near the systemic influence as the former. Hell, examine whether the university is violating the FCPA with its aggressive Chinese recruitment...and drop the investigation if the university promotes more social mobility than it serves to impinge.

Enforcing already-existing regulations would do much to improve the culture of St. Louis. Enacting the letter of the law would do much to improve the institutions in St. Louis. But who has the power and will to do so? You can either attempt to exert power within the institutions, or exert power on the institutions.

Another Federal agency which may be able to influence culture in St. Louis would be the DoT. Examine the previous mass-transit options in St. Louis and those currently existing. Do concrete barriers at the end of streets do anything other than allow segregated car culture? Surely, the DoT should not afford funding for streets whose impact is to restrict, rather than promote, social mobility. Or the FDA in regulating its approval over sections of StL's long-term strategy to become the bio-manufacturing center of America.

What I'm saying is, identify the elite in St. Louis and exert pressure upon them to keep their house in order. Treat them to a dose of reconstruction before admitting them the full rights of Union. Apply extra-strict scrutiny before Federal approval for cultural funding disbursement to St. Louis county. Basically, sanction the elite in St. Louis until they get their act together.

If you're a citizen of Missouri, your only realistic options are to join an institution with political clout and volunteer your time and money towards organizing. The goal is to change the question which folks ask in St. Louis to determine status. There is no simple or easy way to do this. There are mechanisms which can be applied to pressure change from the elite. Identify those mechanisms and advocate for their just and adequate implementation. Otherwise, nothing will improve. Accept that this is a glacial process, advocate patience, and achieve results.

E:

Teddybear posted:

That's their way of saying, "If this poo poo spreads, we're coming down on your asses hard. The buck stops with you. Control your people, or we will."

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 14, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Segmentation Fault posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTaqc3_5oYg

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wesley Lowrey and Ryan Reilly, two reporters, may have just been arrested. Cops are threatening to arrest reporters who are trying to find out who was arrested.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Pretty sure that's an LRAD device on the right in this image:

LAPD's been pulling those out for years. St. Louis really is behind the times in police militarization. California PD's are years ahead.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Maria Chapelle Nadal just tweeted to say she was not actually taken into custody.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Both Reilly and Lowrey haven't tweeted in the last ten minutes, and it's looking like they were in fact arrested.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Neo Duckberg posted:

be safe dude

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
stay safe marital law ghost

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

armoredgorilla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVrziJOe5x0

poo poo, I'm sorry, this was posted earlier.

Whatever, watch it again, this is heinous.

I like how her car's in the lot of Zimmerman's.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

quote:

The city cannot annex the county; counties work best when they have a clear county seat of government, when the interests of one city are recognized as the interests of the county.
Good stuff, My Imaginary GF, but I want to point this out for folks who don't know the politics or governance of the area. St. Louis City is separate from St. Louis County. The city is a so-called "independent city" and functions as a county equivalent. Clayton is the county seat of St. Louis County, and Ferguson is in the county.

There is a HUGE disconnect and even rivalry between St. Louis City and St. Louis County. Each dislikes the other, and each thinks it's the most important government entity in the metro. However, neither would exist without the other, and let's not even get started about St. Charles County. Suffice to say that until the City and County start to play nice, maybe even merge, the whole St. Louis metro will continue to suffer.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Hey, I just got that this isn't taking place in Montana. I kept thinking that was a weird place for race riots to break out. With a population north of 300 people in the entire state, I guess that means this is a real thing going on.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
Is anything interesting going to happen tonight? I'd like to see the police do something really egregious and cause protests to spread across the country. Otherwise this will all be over and forgotten until the next incident that can then be forgotten.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

D_I posted:

Is anything interesting going to happen tonight? I'd like to see the police do something really egregious and cause protests to spread across the country. Otherwise this will all be over and forgotten until the next incident that can then be forgotten.

Well, journalists are getting arrested, rifles are trained on the crowds, and the cops may be jamming cell signals, so you might get your wish.

D_I
Aug 31, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Well, journalists are getting arrested, rifles are trained on the crowds, and the cops may be jamming cell signals, so you might get your wish.
It just takes one "true american" with poor trigger discipline to ignite this powderkeg.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Neo Duckberg posted:

This is what I like to see.

Couldn't hurt to carry earplugs and a respirator.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

D_I posted:

It just takes one "true american" with poor trigger discipline to ignite this powderkeg.

Hope rides alone.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

D_I posted:

Just happen to be playing through DX:HR at the moment.

quote:

Okay, the TV crew is on its way. Wait until you can see the green light on the camera before taking the shot. Aim for the area between the cops and the protesters; that way both of them will think the other side fired first. There might be a riot today without your help. If that happens, just drop everything and get out of there; you'll get paid either way. O

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

D_I posted:

Hopefully it's all over before a bunch of "patriot militias" decide to help out.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is this.

There's absolutely no need for this. The protesters AREN'T EVEN IN THE STREET, they're on the loving sidewalk in broad daylight. The cops are causing ten times the disruption the protesters are at this point.

They're indistinguishable from national guardsmen or soldiers deployed somewhere in the middle east. The only difference is they have POLICE written on their flak jackets.

Oh hey St. Charles SWAT. I'm guessing they were sent down with the explicit mission to keep ensuring that no blacks escape to St. Charles.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
I seriously can't believe what's going on in Ferguson right now. What's even crazier to me is that no one on my Facebook feed is talking about it, and I haven't heard much about it at work either. Is the mainstream media even covering this? I mean, I know they covered the murder of Mike Brown, but has there been much follow-up other than to talk about "looters" and other boilerplate nonsense? I think we've all known that a police state has been brewing for some time (and already exists for anyone who isn't white), but what is happening in Ferguson right now is so brazen and so obviously in violation of Constitutional rights that I am stunned. Those cops know that they've got quite a few eyes all across the world trained on them, and they don't give a poo poo.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Oh good, they're arresting journalists now (MSNBC).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

D_I posted:

Funny how the Oath Keepers haven't come to Ferguson.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

skaboomizzy posted:

Oh good, they're arresting journalists now (MSNBC).

When I read this I honestly had to check that I hadn't clicked on the Israel-Palestine thread by accident.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Is there confirmation on the arrest of the two journalists? I mean, all signs point to yes, but are we sure?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BuckT.Trend posted:

Good stuff, My Imaginary GF, but I want to point this out for folks who don't know the politics or governance of the area. St. Louis City is separate from St. Louis County. The city is a so-called "independent city" and functions as a county equivalent. Clayton is the county seat of St. Louis County, and Ferguson is in the county.

There is a HUGE disconnect and even rivalry between St. Louis City and St. Louis County. Each dislikes the other, and each thinks it's the most important government entity in the metro. However, neither would exist without the other, and let's not even get started about St. Charles County. Suffice to say that until the City and County start to play nice, maybe even merge, the whole St. Louis metro will continue to suffer.

Good distinction. What I saw in St. Louis was that County's base is WashU, and City's is UMSL. It is not exaggeration to state that St. Louis is, as a city and county, the most segregated place in America. As I said, whites were segregated from whites until the civil rights movement. All I ask is that the institutions express a little shame about this fact. If they are unwilling to express shame, they are unwilling to admit that the problem exists. Unconditional aceptance and recognition that the present situation exists is necessary for institutional change.

I'd be very interested to see if Purina is investigated for its imports of contaminated Chinese pet food. I'd be very interested to see if Wells-Fargo is investigated for their lending practices with a signal to accept no settlement until an admission of guilt is made.

I don't expect Federal troops to enter unless requested by Nixon. Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming, and if you make me send in other troops for your bullshit they will lock the entire county down so that nobody can accuse them of only targeting the black communities. Collective punishment works when someone else is willing to take the blame for the punishment.

E:

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Is the mainstream media even covering this? I mean, I know they covered the murder of Mike Brown, but has there been much follow-up other than to talk about "looters" and other boilerplate nonsense?

Respectible media does not fan the flames of civil disorder while in progress. If you were an executive at CNN, and your legal department informs you that the justice department would consider your organizarion as a potentially liable party if the disobedience spreads, would you show it live or report on it after?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 14, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Funny how the Oath Keepers haven't come to Ferguson.

They don't even want to leave JeffCo.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Lowery just tweeted that he was arrested.

Reilly was assaulted and arrested.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
You know, I think the DOJ would already have been all over this poo poo, and basically told the Ferguson PD to unilaterally stand down, if President Obama weren't afraid of being accused of playing racial politics. After the Gates arrest thing early in his Presidency, he has barely touched anything remotely racial. It's really, really sad that he is probably right to be so cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I seriously can't believe what's going on in Ferguson right now. What's even crazier to me is that no one on my Facebook feed is talking about it, and I haven't heard much about it at work either. Is the mainstream media even covering this? I mean, I know they covered the murder of Mike Brown, but has there been much follow-up other than to talk about "looters" and other boilerplate nonsense? I think we've all known that a police state has been brewing for some time (and already exists for anyone who isn't white), but what is happening in Ferguson right now is so brazen and so obviously in violation of Constitutional rights that I am stunned. Those cops know that they've got quite a few eyes all across the world trained on them, and they don't give a poo poo.

Broadcast news would rather burn at the stake than flatly criticize cops. Any air time devoted to the abuses of the police will be "balanced" by someone blowing a huge dog whistle :confuoot:

• Locked thread