Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

I think he (or a staffer) has just had some time to prepare the speech. I haven't seen anything exciting from him yet off the cuff, but I don't watch question time so :shrug:

He's actually pretty good in QT but only when he's geniunely being passionate/caring (about Australians)

I've never been impressed with his attempts at humour/the 'outrage at those opposite' thing which is a shame because sometimes he tries way too hard to be Keating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What are the facts about petrol consumption? If what I read somewhere is right and poorer people, while they spend less overall than the wealthy in fuel, spend a greater proportion of their income on fuel expenses, then it stands to reason that they'll be hit harder by any excise.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Joe Hockey misinterpreted the facts because he's a. an idiot, b. malicious, c. both.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Captain Pissweak posted:

Joe Hockey misinterpreted the facts because he's a. an idiot, b. malicious, c. both.

d. foghorn leghorn

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Yowie chocolates relaunched for US market 10 years after disappearing from Australian shelves

Xylo please send yowies back to us.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If Joe Hockey is unaware of the evils his policies would cause, he cannot be competent

If Joe Hockey is aware of the evils his policies would cause but chooses not to correct them, he cannot be benevolent

If Joe Hockey is aware of the evils his policies would cause, and desires to correct them, but is unable do so, there's not much point in having him be the treasurer

QED I just disproved Joe Hockey

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

I'm surprised they're even allowed there, aren't Kinder Surprise banned because of the toy?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Orkin Mang posted:

What are the facts about petrol consumption? If what I read somewhere is right and poorer people, while they spend less overall than the wealthy in fuel, spend a greater proportion of their income on fuel expenses, then it stands to reason that they'll be hit harder by any excise.

Everything is absolute, which is why it's a travesty that rich people pay* a greater proportion of their income in tax

*sometimes

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

LordNagash posted:

d. foghorn leghorn

"What's the big, I say what's the big idea, getting in that car there, son? My word, you're a poor person son, a poor person. Poor people don't drive cars, you're taking the fuel right out of my tank. Stand up boy, you're tripping over your own bootstraps."

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haters Objector posted:

Everything is absolute, which is why it's a travesty that rich people pay* a greater proportion of their income in tax

*sometimes

Well that's dumb.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-14/researchers-hunting-ebola-cure-scrapped-under-budget-cuts/5669842

CSIRO cut.

quote:

Ebola virus: Researchers hunting deadly virus cure scrapped under federal budget cuts

Australian research into a vaccine for the deadly Ebola virus will suffer as a result of federal budget cuts, CSIRO staff say.

The Federal Government has cut more than $110 million from the research organisation's budget and as a result up to eight researchers will lose their jobs at the Australian Animal Health Laboratory (AAHL) in Geelong, Victoria.

Scientists at the facility are trying to find a vaccine for Ebola, that has killed hundreds of people in West Africa since an outbreak began in February.

The researchers at the AAHL had recently acquired a live strain of the virus that had swept through the region.

CSIRO Staff Association secretary Sam Popovski said the decision to cut funding to the laboratory was short-sighted.

"This is terrible news for hardworking researchers who are dedicated to keeping Australians, indeed the world's population safe from illness." he said.

The high-containment facility also conducts research into Avian Influenza, SARS and Hendra virus.

"The Australian Animal Health Laboratory is particularly funded to be Australia's national facility in this area," Mr Popovski said.

"It's recognised as the national facility for this work and therefore is at the frontline of protecting Australia from these viruses."

Australian researchers are some of the best in the world, operate on shoestring budgets and make profound discoveries. But the govt without a science ministry doesnt see the value in any of that.
We have two of the few Level 4 biolabs in the world that is equipped to handle and research Ebola and Hendra virus here in Coopers Plains, right next to the QE2 Hospital. It resides on the same grounds as the qld forensic labs. The other is the AAH Lab in Victoria. But nah, jets that dont fly and incarcerating brown people is more worthy of cash.

loving get me out of here.

This cut is the same price as 0.87 F35's.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 14, 2014

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Night Shade posted:

I'm surprised they're even allowed there, aren't Kinder Surprise banned because of the toy?

Yeah, they article explains that they have a patent on the only system approved by the FDA for having a toy inside of chocolate. Apparently it expires in 2019 and they're trying to get the head start over Kinder Surprise.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-14/researchers-hunting-ebola-cure-scrapped-under-budget-cuts/5669842

CSIRO cut.

Australian researchers are some of the best in the world, operate on shoestring budgets and make profound discoveries. But the govt without a science ministry doesnt see the value in any of that.
We have two of the few Level 4 biolabs in the world that is equipped to handle and research Ebola and Hendra virus here in Coopers Plains, right next to the QE2 Hospital. It resides on the same grounds as the qld forensic labs. The other is the AAH Lab in Victoria. But nah, jets that dont fly and incarcerating brown people is more worthy of cash.

loving get me out of here.

Well the Ebola is mostly killing Africans so it's not really a concern unless they manage to sneak over here, which is impossible because all the boats are stopped.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Kommando posted:

That's another infographic

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadeoses posted:

Well the Ebola is mostly killing Africans so it's not really a concern unless they manage to sneak over here, which is impossible because all the boats are stopped.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/experts-ebola-vaccine-at-least-50-white-people-awa,36580/

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

This is like one of those A Current Affair parodies, except its 100% real :wtc:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
On first glance I saw that as jihad burgers and thought they were having another crack at halal food

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

webmeister posted:

This is like one of those A Current Affair parodies, except its 100% real :wtc:

First thing I thought when I saw it - "Lebanese builders killing our fat kids, and the heroic doctor who'll save them"

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Data retention apologist Alastair MacGibbon posted:

It is, in essence, a living white pages phone book, retained for two years, in case a piece of our technology is implicated in a crime. Just to emphasise the point: metadata need not be only incriminatory, it can be exculpatory as well, meaning that having a system in place that can properly collect and assess this data serves all our interests.

You see, now we can reverse that pesky burden of proof! We need to collect this data not only to prove that someone committed a crime, but to prove that, during your every movement online, that you also aren't committing a crime.

And really, if you're doing nothing wrong you've got nothing to hide! We just want to collect this really insignificant data that is so insignificant that it's absolutely vital in stopping terrorism!

Yes, you have nothing to hide. But that doesn't mean that you don't have curtains on your windows. Or allow cameras in your home to watch your every move.

Enforcement agencies by their nature always want more information and more intrusion, because, yes, constantly monitoring people's every movement would prevent crime. Security does not automatically override privacy jesus.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Gough Suppressant posted:

On first glance I saw that as jihad burgers and thought they were having another crack at halal food

Try the new McJihad! It's a taste explosion.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

sidviscous posted:

First thing I thought when I saw it - "Lebanese builders killing our fat kids, and the heroic doctor who'll save them"

This shonky fat kid is tricking our lebanese plumbers into going on the dole and fighting with their neighbours.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

LordNagash posted:

This shonky fat kid is tricking our lebanese plumbers into going on the dole and fighting with their neighbours.

Link :magical:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0814-3do0v.html

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithranderp posted:

Try the new McJihad! It's a taste explosion.

The greater McJihad is the internal struggle.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

:psyboom:

quote:

The Abbott Government's chief business adviser says too much time has been spent focusing on global warming and as a result Australians are "ill prepared" to deal with the prospect of global cooling.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/media/print/c-used-to-sue-mike-carlton-for-racial-vilification/story-fn9ymmvo-1227023569915#mm-premium

quote:

THE controversial 18C provisions of the Racial Discrimination Act will be used in a complaint against The Sydney Morning Herald over its anti-­Semitic cartoon and the accompanying article by former columnist, Mike Carlton.

A Sydney engineer, Wayne Karlen, 60, has lodged a complaint with the Australian Human Rights Commission ­arguing the publication of the cartoon and column caused offence to Australian Jews.

Mr Karlen also referenced the subsequent abuse of readers by Carlton, stating in the complaint that The Sydney Morning Herald has committed an unlawful act within the meaning of the Racial Discrimination Act…

Mr Karlen, who is not Jewish, said he decided to lodge the complaint on Tuesday after the ABC’s Media Watch defended the cartoon and Carlton the night before…

In addition to Mr Karlen, The Australian understands at least one member of the Jewish community has also lodged a complaint with the commission under section 18C, although Jewish ­organisations have stated they will not be taking similar action in light of the Herald’s apology.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Not being Jewish seems a pretty big obstacle to proving that you were offended, insulted, intimidated or humiliated by a depiction of Jewish people.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

First up: Kalua Maurice Newman

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

A Sydney engineer, Wayne Karlen, 60

uh huh

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

who else

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

Not being Jewish seems a pretty big obstacle to proving that you were offended, insulted, intimidated or humiliated by a depiction of Jewish people.

You're like 4/4 for dumb posts now. Would you agree that a depiction of Aboriginals as apemen in a cartoon wouldn't offend you, and why are you so racist?

(you can be offended by something that's not targetting you)

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Murodese posted:

You're like 4/4 for dumb posts now. Would you agree that a depiction of Aboriginals as apemen in a cartoon wouldn't offend you, and why are you so racist?

(you can be offended by something that's not targetting you)

Ehhhh, probably need a lawyer to chime in. While you might be right on the substance, to bring court action I think you need to qualify as somebody with an actual greivance and that requires an interpretation of the law.

Specifically this part:

(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:
(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and
(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.

I'm not going to look through case law to see if this is the case, but whether court action can be taken would depend on whether the highlighted section is deemed to be the person taking court action or not.

Les Affaires fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 14, 2014

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is Bolt going to come out in support of the Herald?

Not holding my breath

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Haters Objector posted:

I don't think they would. Churches have the resources to pour into that kind of stuff, and if the entire humanitarian sector relied on donations and government grants, which they would if it was all secular, there wouldn't be nearly as much money invested into it as there is now.
At the risk of continuing religion chat I think it is worth pointing out that the reason the churches have those resources is because they extracted the 'wealth' from their previous supporter base. There is a strong onus on them returning it to the community that gave it to them in the first place. I mention this because church attendances haven't so much dropped as plummeted. The current churches accounts have very little on the income side from their congregation.

Why all this talk about Joe Hockey? There's no mention of him what-so-ever in the serious press (The Arsetralian), They instead lead with a fluff piece about the previous Labor minister for sport being involved in undue influence over ASADA... Kwality!

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Peter Phelps just took a sledge at people whose jobs are dependent on the taxpayer and government fiat.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Peter Phelps just took a steaming dump.

Fixed that up for you :)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The stupid thing about climate change is that it isn't global warming, it's climate CHANGE.

Colder winters, warmer summers, it goes hand in hand. Climate change means we'll be facing more extremes, rather than the nice midrange we've experienced. Ugh, it's like saying Mercury isn't that hot when you're just talking about the dark side (for reference, it can drop to below -180C on the dark side of Mercury, while sun side it's about 460C).

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Aug 2
Of course the fact that some of the teenagers were born In India doesn't stop @smh reporting fiction. Suggest check @australian for facts

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Aug 1
What was @smh expecting - an invite to a going away party? Another leftard beatup - read @australian for real news.

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Jul 25
Cruel is @smh pining to return to ALP open border policies that resulted in 1200+ drowning. At least @australian reports balanced views

Just like @smh @clementine_ford to blame it all on men. Hypocritical - at least @australian will call a spade a spade! @AndrewBoltsBlog

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Palmersaurus posted:

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Aug 2
Of course the fact that some of the teenagers were born In India doesn't stop @smh reporting fiction. Suggest check @australian for facts

Wayne Karlen @AlaMerQld · Aug 1
What was @smh expecting - an invite to a going away party? Another leftard beatup - read @australian for real news.

Cruel is @smh pining to return to ALP open border policies that resulted in 1200+ drowning. At least @australian reports balanced views

Just like @smh @clementine_ford to blame it all on men. Hypocritical - at least @australian will call a spade a spade! @AndrewBoltsBlog

Wayne Karlen likes:
https://www.facebook.com/wkarlen/likes

A lot of surprises there!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
My rigorous scientific research has yielded the following conclusion:

*Out of all the people who cite "1200 deaths at sea" as a reason to support the coalition's asylum seeker policy, approximately zero of those people actually have any genuine concern for lives lost at sea.

• Locked thread