Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sky Shadowing posted:

New expansion is being announced tomorrow.

9 PM CEST, 3 PM EST, Noon PST. Livestream on their Twitch channel.

This is actually kind of terrifying to me because I can't think of anything Paradox would realistically make and put at this price point that didn't involve a map expansion (which is one thing I absolutely do not want, and not only because of the CK2+ rewrite effort).

I need to have faith, they haven't released a bad DLC for this game yet, but what the gently caress could they be doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mister Adequate posted:

First make sure you've selected matrilineal. Second, often people won't be willing to marry a woman who can't have children, so if she's older than about 45 the list will be a lot shorter (though still shouldn't be nobody, as long as it is indeed matrilineal).

Yeah she was over 50 at the time and I tried Matrilinear. I remember hearing that Distance was a factor now with diplomacy, could that have something to do with it? Because she was the queen of Iceland so the capital was pretty far away from anything else. Still, doesn't make sense.

I was having a ton of issues getting marriages for my children too.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is actually kind of terrifying to me because I can't think of anything Paradox would realistically make and put at this price point that didn't involve a map expansion (which is one thing I absolutely do not want, and not only because of the CK2+ rewrite effort).

I need to have faith, they haven't released a bad DLC for this game yet, but what the gently caress could they be doing?

Theocracy.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rumda posted:

Theocracy.

Fall of Rome / Dark Ages.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Rumda posted:

Theocracy.

I'd be down for this, but that can't be worth twenty bucks, right?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Is there any way to get my kids back from a foreign court? As Halfdan Hvitserk I married a woman who was apparently a temple holder in the middle of goddam Russia, and my heir (who is now of age) and other children are in her court.

I assume assassinating her would work, but what about divorce? Nobody is accepting my invitations because they all like her more than me and "no reason to move."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'd be down for this, but that can't be worth twenty bucks, right?

Depends on how different/complex the mechanics are. Republic was 20 bucks when it came out, I think.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Someone off-hand threw out random map generator, which I would 100% pay $20 for. Even better if it had a TBS style map configuration utility where you can set land/water split and such.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Got me thinking: what if they are releasing an improved/rewritten CK2+ as the new DLC.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

Fall of Rome / Dark Ages.

A certain thread on the Pdx forums would flip the gently caress out if that happened.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Alright, so throwing some stuff out there.

Played as Duchy of Burning River. Played for about forty years, had a ton of fun, but right around 2705-07, the game started to CTD every couple of months. Never got to finish collecting all of Ohio with my King. Kind of a bummer.

Can you upload the save?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Shadeoses posted:

It's going to be skeletons.

I can feel it in my bones.

Oh I really hope so. If it is I'm buying a copy for all my friends who have CK2.
EDIT:
And the first 3 people from the thread who ask I guess.

BECAUSE SKELETONS!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Well if it's a map expansion, thank god for my new processor.

Have fun in the stone age, suckerrrrrrs.

(i really hope its not a map extension)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

Well if it's a map expansion, thank god for my new processor.

Have fun in the stone age, suckerrrrrrs.

(i really hope its not a map extension)

They're going to make the world accurately scaled. Toll the bells.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

A certain thread on the Pdx forums would flip the gently caress out if that happened.

A certain part of their forums would flip out no matter what they announce.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

Is there any way to get my kids back from a foreign court? As Halfdan Hvitserk I married a woman who was apparently a temple holder in the middle of goddam Russia, and my heir (who is now of age) and other children are in her court.

I assume assassinating her would work, but what about divorce? Nobody is accepting my invitations because they all like her more than me and "no reason to move."

My favorite update of CapnAndy's Ireland LP dealt with a situation like this.

His heir inherited a county in Greece and moved there with her husband and Genius kid, and at some point pissed off the Byzantine Emperor enough for him to blind her and castrate her husband, and on top of that their kid flipped to Orthodox. She refused to have the kid tutored in Ireland due to some "hostage in a foreign court" bullshit, so he found someone with a claim to the county and just loving invaded the Byzantine Empire.

"Won't let my grandson come to visit? Not a problem, I'll come there myself. Me and 50,000 of my closest friends." :black101:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Adventurer Mode, conquer land, join the courts of other guys. Let's go all full Romance of the Three Kingdoms :getin:

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
The latest Lux Invicta mod expanded the map to cover most of Africa, western China, and Greenland. It doesnt run TOO badly. But more provinces is probably the last thing CK2 needs

I love Lux Invicta. Its the most fun ive had playing an overhaul paradox mod since Kaiserreich. But I just found a new 'feature': you can force two slaves to have sex and whip them into compliance if they fail to do so, complete with events saying 'you can gently caress my dead corpse' :stare:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
The most annoying thing in the world is when your heir enrols in the Varangian guard and produces children while he's there. Every time this has happened to me and the heir inherits while in the guard he'll come back to his kingdom/empire, but his children won't and you can't invite them back until they come of age. The leader of the guard will refuse to let you educate them, but he won't assign a tutor himself, so they'll turn into complete idiots while they're there. I've had several geniuses end up with no stat above 9 and the worst intrigue/church education. :argh:

Is there any way at all to solve that in an ironman game?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's almost certainly not a map expansion, which is what makes it exciting. I'd love something big for the slavs, personally, but anything that fleshes out existing systems would be great as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will take a naval combat expansion if it also introduces piracy and privateering. And perhaps an expanded economic system in general.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Along with an entirely new continent, the upcoming update of Sonendar will also include some new flavor events, including a major event chain for the Pirate cultures where rulers will be able to look for a map and go on a quest for buried treasure!!

Pictured: New event for maimed pirates. Maimed pirates can get rid of Maimed and gain either an eyepatch, a hook, or a peg leg. If you manage to get all three by getting maimed enough, plus a talking parrot, you can become nicknamed "The Pirate"! :haw:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 13, 2014

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hreinhold posted:

The most annoying thing in the world is when your heir enrols in the Varangian guard and produces children while he's there. Every time this has happened to me and the heir inherits while in the guard he'll come back to his kingdom/empire, but his children won't and you can't invite them back until they come of age. The leader of the guard will refuse to let you educate them, but he won't assign a tutor himself, so they'll turn into complete idiots while they're there. I've had several geniuses end up with no stat above 9 and the worst intrigue/church education. :argh:

Is there any way at all to solve that in an ironman game?

aside from turning on "yesman" from console or dicking around the savefiles, no

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah she was over 50 at the time and I tried Matrilinear. I remember hearing that Distance was a factor now with diplomacy, could that have something to do with it? Because she was the queen of Iceland so the capital was pretty far away from anything else. Still, doesn't make sense.

Oh, yeah, if you're in Iceland that's going to cut down your prospective spouses considerably. The diplomatic range thing doesn't have such a dramatic effect most of the time, but I can see it being the case here. I would guess you just got an unlucky set of circumstances here that all worked together; a relatively small pool to begin with because of the diplo range limits, being a woman, and being over 50. You should still have been able to force unlanded courtiers to marry you though, so I'm not certain that's the case.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh, yeah, if you're in Iceland that's going to cut down your prospective spouses considerably. The diplomatic range thing doesn't have such a dramatic effect most of the time, but I can see it being the case here. I would guess you just got an unlucky set of circumstances here that all worked together; a relatively small pool to begin with because of the diplo range limits, being a woman, and being over 50. You should still have been able to force unlanded courtiers to marry you though, so I'm not certain that's the case.

DrSunshine posted:

Along with an entirely new continent, the upcoming update of Sonendar will also include some new flavor events, including a major event chain for the Pirate cultures where rulers will be able to look for a map and go on a quest for buried treasure!!

Pictured: New event for maimed pirates. Maimed pirates can get rid of Maimed and gain either an eyepatch, a hook, or a peg leg. If you manage to get all three by getting maimed enough, plus a talking parrot, you can become nicknamed "The Pirate"! :haw:

Hahaha yessss best nickname :pirate:

Is there a reliable way to get yourself killed if you're not depressed, in Elder Kings? I'm a good ruler but my genius son is amazing, and he's married to his genius sister (Console command should be changed to allow_targs), but I'm living for loving ever here.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I once made the mistake of "divorcing" my husband as a ~40 year old empress of north/east/central Europe, and the game literally wouldn't allow me to marry anyone. Clicking on the rings in my profile produced a completely empty list. Clicking arrange marriage on my own realm allowed me to choose myself and all my unmarried courtiers as one of the two parts, but if the first part was me the other list would be empty and if I chose any other male first I wouldn't appear on the second list. I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I know I was younger than 45 and I think I may have been just slightly younger than 40. Resetting the game didn't help and the game would taunt me with the unmarried ruler icon the entire reign. The worst part was that my ruler and the former husband both had pretty bad stewardship stats, so I thought I could fix that by marrying someone smarter, but I ended up having to give away a couple of really great provinces instead. :argh:

I wish I had better self control, so I wouldn't have to play with ironman. :negative:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sam. posted:

Can you upload the save?

Yep, here you go. Got an autosave too for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcywghrczqpdx0a/autosave.ck2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhzjxsqybrkh705/Ohio.ck2

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Emanuel Collective posted:

The latest Lux Invicta mod expanded the map to cover most of Africa, western China, and Greenland. It doesnt run TOO badly. But more provinces is probably the last thing CK2 needs

I love Lux Invicta. Its the most fun ive had playing an overhaul paradox mod since Kaiserreich. But I just found a new 'feature': you can force two slaves to have sex and whip them into compliance if they fail to do so, complete with events saying 'you can gently caress my dead corpse' :stare:

Yeeeeaah, I choose to ignore the slavery stuff beyond raiding and increasing the camp size level in my capital province (and most of the times I'm playing some religion that forbids slavery, which seems like a bad thing until you get a ruler with the 'liberator' trait that allows you to take over every holding of entire kingdoms if they practice slavery :getin:). It's unsavory, but sanitized enough. If you get down into the really fiddly micromanagement you can do some incredibly creepy stuff.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hreinhold posted:

I once made the mistake of "divorcing" my husband as a ~40 year old empress of north/east/central Europe, and the game literally wouldn't allow me to marry anyone. Clicking on the rings in my profile produced a completely empty list. Clicking arrange marriage on my own realm allowed me to choose myself and all my unmarried courtiers as one of the two parts, but if the first part was me the other list would be empty and if I chose any other male first I wouldn't appear on the second list. I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I know I was younger than 45 and I think I may have been just slightly younger than 40. Resetting the game didn't help and the game would taunt me with the unmarried ruler icon the entire reign. The worst part was that my ruler and the former husband both had pretty bad stewardship stats, so I thought I could fix that by marrying someone smarter, but I ended up having to give away a couple of really great provinces instead. :argh:

I wish I had better self control, so I wouldn't have to play with ironman. :negative:

This has to be a bug wherein some chunk of code mistakenly thinks your character is still married. You should *always* be able to force an unmarried, unlanded person in your court to marry you.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

This has to be a bug wherein some chunk of code mistakenly thinks your character is still married. You should *always* be able to force an unmarried, unlanded person in your court to marry you.
I don't think so. I remember running into something similar after a semi-recent patch, where a 40-ish female character was totally unable to marry anyone.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Yup, my empresses have never been able to get remarried after 40.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

To tide you over, here is a fix that doesn't have the major update with the new continent, but does have a lot of essential bug fixes and general "life improvements".

Sonendar 1.06.2.5

Let's look at some interesting characters to play as.

Pepin the Bastard and King Drogo

An illegitimate bastard son of the previous King Francois of Bregnac, Pepin took the name of his illegitimate mother. An ambitious lad despite his base bloodline, Pepin managed to win the favor of his father and became an indispensable member of Francois' court. In thanks, King Francois bequeathed to him the title of Marquis of Lascaux upon his deathbed. When his useless, fat, gadabout son Drogo took the throne, he found that the Bastard of Lascaux had already expanded to become the biggest Marquis in the realm. Now Drogo sits upon an uncomfortable throne, threatened by the Pirate Queen Janessa and the Corsairs to the West, and anxiously trying to mollify the ambitions of Pepin Betit.

The Mad Emperor of "Sonendar"

Jonas Clockwater was the last in a long line of Clockwaters, who had ruled the small county of Kyte by Pelican Bay since as long as anyone could remember. Jonas had always been a studious and scholarly man, and took to the study of old books and tomes in his old age. At one point during his studies, or perhaps due the onset of age, he was seized by a madness and saw in a dream that the mythical "Elders of the Abyss" had granted him their blessing. Believing himself to be divinely destined to rule all of Sonendar, Jonas proclaimed himself Duke of Kyte on the very next day, then King of Kyte and the Surrounding Lands on the following day, and Emperor of Sonendar on the third. Mad as he was, Jonas retained all of his intelligence and cunning wit, and had very quickly won over his relatives and subjects to the new Cult of the Elders of the Abyss. But surely a single province of madmen worshiping some kind of squid god cannot possibly do any harm to anyone?

The Jarl Who Would Be King

Cnut of Dutland is a descendant of the Nords who, long ago, came to Sonendar atop their dragon-headed longships and seized the bogs and marshes of the Nordmark when the Reichsmarch was busily engaged in one of its endless civil wars. Nobody ever really bothered to reconquer them. Over the ages, the Nords softened and took up the faith of the Sword and Plow, settling down to farm and trade among the many cultures of Sonendar. Yet their lands were never reunited into a Kingdom, and the Nordmark remains to this day a morass of little fiefdoms vying for power. Cnut, a born military leader, believes that he may be able to bring back the old warring traditions and reunite the tribes -- before the Marchlanders come a-calling!

The Stranger - Emund of The Claws

A collection of little fjords and broken glaciers sitting at the very edge of Nordhalla, the Duchy of the Claws is a brutal, windswept speck amidst a continent of equally dismal and frozen bays and harbors. The harsh, impassable terrain has made it difficult for the many tribes and clans of Nords to assemble into anything resembling a state. Yet Emund's family, pushed out from Sonendar by some ancient feud, has managed to arrive on this brutal continent, having been armed with better tools and weapons, the Faith of the Sword and Plow, and the cultural mores of the Continental Nords. A stranger and an outsider in a foreign land, how will he manage to expand his power amongst the many tribes of this impoverished land?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Ooh, the last time I played, the Cthulhu cult didn't have much going for them, do they have more unique things now?

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

pwnyXpress posted:

Did they have a holy order title? That would stop the ability to marry.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Raserys posted:

Ooh, the last time I played, the Cthulhu cult didn't have much going for them, do they have more unique things now?

Among all the cultures, only they have the ability to use Holy Wars. Also, you can sacrifice prisoners for piety and prestige, like the Aztecs.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dallan Invictus posted:

Might be an end-game expansion, i.e. formation of parliaments and the beginnings of the Renaissance, so naval combat would fit in with this too.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

pwnyXpress posted:

Why would you want to? I don't recall a 40+ woman ever giving having a child in games I've played.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

Why would you want to? I don't recall a 40+ woman ever giving having a child in games I've played.

Alliances and ruler stat bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

aqu posted:

Did they have a holy order title? That would stop the ability to marry.

Nope. Can't say I've ever held a holy order title across all my games.

• Locked thread