Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
^^ ROPO PRO BROS ^^

edit. great shows up on next page.

300 yen bars are also good+cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Also, Hub is good for Happy Hour and Torikizoku is a great Izakaya where everything is 280 yen and they offer regular drafts and then even bigger ones of Tanrei for 280 yen as well. We have neither of those places here and I miss them quite a bit. Our version of the Hub is overpriced but I did find an izakaya that does 290 yen beers at any time and offers a 490 yen steak so I have been frequenting it quite often. They also do a 1900 yen shochu bottle keep which is super cheap.

My friend is opening his club soon so if any of you folk feel like taking a trip down here to FUK I'll be able to give you the hookup. I have been helping out with the construction and it is in a prime location with a great sound system. The nice thing about the clubs here is pretty much all of them are owned by foreigners and we don't have any seedy touts.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006
If you are here with your girlfriend and probably won't be talking to other people in bars anyways, just grab a drink at a convenience store and drink at a park, or just chill on the sidewalk and people watch. Or grab a 6 pack and ride in a circle on the yamanote line.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Aredna posted:

What he said. Goodbeer faucets is great, but not cost effective.

Greenland is by far the best value. The vodka is super cheap and will give you hangovers, but most other mixers are fine. They also have bottled beer, etc.

And they are busy order multiple drinks for yourself. Don't be a pansy and ask permission like one of our friends does every time and get denied. Just say you want 2 or 3 of whatever you want to drink.

Don't take any girls from Area Red (old Gaspanic) unless you check their ID though. When Gaspanic got it's turn to be busted for dancing there were some 17-year-old girls in there.

Don't go in anywhere the guys are recruiting you and offering free drinks either.

FYI there's going to be underage girls at basically every cheap club

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

Where else am I supposed to meet high school girls?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Have you tried Shibuya mid-day Sunday? They'll love if you take them bag shopping.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Afternoon tea parties, however, are apparently not so popular with that crowd.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Sudden trip to Tokyo/Japan happening next week! Spending 7 days in Japan just wanted to know if it's worth going to Kyoto or some where via the rail or is trying to get a rail ticket this soon impossible?

Brownie points for must do things in Tokyo suggestions.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Get a JR Pass. It must be bought in advance from outside Japan.
Besides that, all train tickets can/should be booked on arrival, not online.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
ROBOT RESTAURANT

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Sudden trip to Tokyo/Japan happening next week! Spending 7 days in Japan just wanted to know if it's worth going to Kyoto or some where via the rail or is trying to get a rail ticket this soon impossible?

Brownie points for must do things in Tokyo suggestions.

Open a bank account

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Get a JR Pass. It must be bought in advance from outside Japan.
Besides that, all train tickets can/should be booked on arrival, not online.

Better off just staying in Tokyo. More than enough to do in Tokyo for 7 days.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Stringent posted:

Sound advice! Hotel is booked as it was the last one on Booking.com in the Chuo Area, seemed like a good price but can cancel for free if it's a horrendous mistake! :v:

Missed the chance to book my quick, cheap flight. Never loving mind about all this for now, you'd think you could book a flight from China to Japan for under £400 that doesn't take 20+ hours.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 14, 2014

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Stringent posted:

With the addition of a day trip to Nikko I agree.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Sound advice! Hotel is booked as it was the last one on Booking.com in the Chuo Area, seemed like a good price but can cancel for free if it's a horrendous mistake! :v:

Missed the chance to book my quick, cheap flight. Never loving mind about all this for now, you'd think you could book a flight from China to Japan for under £400 that doesn't take 20+ hours.

Spring Airlines, Peach Airlines, Vanilla Air, Scoot...

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

Doesn't a japanese girl pretty much have to be in diapers to be jailbait?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

peanut posted:

Spring Airlines, Peach Airlines, Vanilla Air, Scoot...

Aye. I went back and looked at them. Sorting poo poo out. Thanks Peanut!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

peak debt posted:

Doesn't a japanese girl pretty much have to be in diapers to be jailbait?

It's an extra charge for them to wear diapers. If you want to wear one though I know a club that will provide it for you.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Aredna posted:

It's an extra charge for them to wear diapers. If you want to wear one though I know a club that will provide it for you.

Cone to my club.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

What are drinking laws like in Japan? Can I basically be that creepy red neck in a trucker cap drinking red stripe watching people go by in the middle of the day but only in Japan instead of China?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Facepalm Ranger posted:

What are drinking laws like in Japan? Can I basically be that creepy red neck in a trucker cap drinking red stripe watching people go by in the middle of the day but only in Japan instead of China?

As long as you're over 20 and not operating a motor vehicle I think you can drink as you please.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Note that a you can get in trouble for riding a bicycle drunk as well.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Aredna posted:

Better put my favourite night time activity on hold whilst I'm in glorious Nippon. Roads are probably safer there so there'll be no fun in it.

Thanks guys! Getting back to look at flights today!

Flights booked! 21st-30th! Now to get to planning!

Got some stupid newbie posts:
1. Is it just cheaper to get a train ticket to Nagasaki/Kyoto rather than get the Rail Pass if I'm only going to go to one of these places for one day.

2. Around £100/day is a good rate of money to bring right?

3. Any recommendations on hotel locations?

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 15, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Aredna posted:

Should tell that to the guy that nearly ran me over riding his bike on the sidewalk obviously drunk with an umbrella in one hand. At night, without a light.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Oh my god! It's Happening!

Hotels are booked, I've gone for 5 days in Tokyo - 3 days in Hiroshima - 2 days in Tokyo (Hotel is in the Chuo Ward, seems good enough and is "Nearby Ningyocho Subway Station offers direct access to the cultural Asakusa area and the lively Roppongi entertainment district. Tokyo Station is a 10-minute drive away."

My flights have lay overs in Hong Kong International for around 8 hours going and 6 coming back. Am I allowed to leave the airport to have a look around HK?

Where's the best place to exchange currency into Japanese Yen, or will any bureau exchangeo do?

How much will the Shinkansen to Hiroshima from Tokyo (return) be? Cheaper than buying a Rail pass right?

For the visitor sim card I notice it says no support for iPhone 5S A1530 has anyone had any experience with this and care to elaborate? I'd like to be able to use my phone in Japan.

And if anyone's up for it I'm up for hanging with some JapanaGoons.

Will probably have more questions later. :v:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 15, 2014

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Aside from the bartender having the cuntiest attitude of anyone I've ever seen serving drinks, Greenland's all you can drink for 1000 yen deal was pretty good.

Anything like that going on tomorrow night somewhere else?

quote:

Around £100/day is a good rate of money to bring right?

I've been here a few days and have been getting by on basically half of that, assuming your accommodation is sorted.

joedevola fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 15, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Where's the best place to exchange currency into Japanese Yen, or will any bureau exchangeo do?

Use an ATM at 7/11 or a post office.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

For the visitor sim card I notice it says no support for iPhone 5S A1530 has anyone had any experience with this and care to elaborate? I'd like to be able to use my phone in Japan.

This almost certainly means only that you won't get LTE. iPhones have supported all 3G bands for a while now. (However, make sure your phone is unlocked or "foreign unlocked".)

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 15, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Oh my god! It's Happening!

Hotels are booked, I've gone for 5 days in Tokyo - 3 days in Hiroshima - 2 days in Tokyo (Hotel is in the Chuo Ward, seems good enough and is "Nearby Ningyocho Subway Station offers direct access to the cultural Asakusa area and the lively Roppongi entertainment district. Tokyo Station is a 10-minute drive away."

My flights have lay overs in Hong Kong International for around 8 hours going and 6 coming back. Am I allowed to leave the airport to have a look around HK?

How much will the Shinkansen to Hiroshima from Tokyo (return) be? Cheaper than buying a Rail pass right?

And if anyone's up for it I'm up for hanging with some JapanaGoons.

Will probably have more questions later. :v:

Most places have a transit visa for 1-2 days, maybe google it for HK?

It's cheaper to just pay regular fare for Tokyo to Hiroshima and back. JR Pass is only worth it if you make like 3 trips. Use this: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

I didn't exchange currency - just withdrew 80k from the Citibank ATM at Haneda and paid for most of my accommodation with my card.

Didn't end up getting a SIM because I didn't pre-order and they only sell them OTC at the airports. My plane landed late at 11:30pm so I had a choice of staying to get the SIM or get my rear end onto a train so I could gtfo of the airport. Ended up missing the last transfer so walked like 4kms at 1am through Tokyo without a map. So someone else may be able to chip in here? I know they do run on different frequencies so I'd look up what your phone can handle.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Aredna posted:

Yeah, that's one of those things cops have in their toolkit to gently caress over people that piss them off, but the typical interaction I've heard of is them asking you to get off and walk it home. Protip: this exact same law exists in many areas of the USA too!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

inklesspen posted:

This almost certainly means only that you won't get LTE. iPhones have supported all 3G bands for a while now. (However, make sure your phone is unlocked or "foreign unlocked".)

I still can't quite figure it out. All this bands stuff is pretty confusing, I just want to make sure it'll work before popping down the money for it. As b-mobile don't list iphone 5S model: A1530, maybe some kind person can translate this super techno-babble.

b-mobile posted:

Your device must support one of the following frequency.
LTE Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz), Band 21 (1500MHz),
W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 19 (800MHz)

iPhone 5s Specs posted:

Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)
Will they work together in harmony? :ohdear:

Also Thanks for the info Cent0r. Good to know I have an option between exchange and just ATMing it!

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 15, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I still can't quite figure it out. All this bands stuff is pretty confusing, I just want to make sure it'll work before popping down the money for it. As b-mobile don't list iphone 5S model: A1530, maybe some kind person can translate this super techno-babble.

Will they work together in harmony? :ohdear:

So, your iPhone supports HSDPA on 2100 Mhz, which I think is the same as the W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA Band 1 on the b-mobile thing. So you should be good (but you'll only have 3G speeds, not LTE).

I can tell you I used the unlimited 3G nano sim from JCR in my iPhone 5 when I went last year and everything worked fine. The JCR one also supports voice and SMS in addition to just data.

Edit: I just remembered there's a Japan cellphone thread.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 15, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

inklesspen posted:

So, your iPhone supports HSDPA on 2100 Mhz, which I think is the same as the W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA Band 1 on the b-mobile thing. So you should be good (but you'll only have 3G speeds, not LTE).

I can tell you I used the unlimited 3G nano sim from JCR in my iPhone 5 when I went last year and everything worked fine. The JCR one also supports voice and SMS in addition to just data.

Edit: I just remembered there's a Japan cellphone thread.

Thanks for reminding me about the thread. I'll go post it there too for clarification, thanks for all your help as well man.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm going back to Japan the day after tomorrow. I hope Putin won't pull a last minute airspace blockade.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Face, where are you staying in Hiroshima? I'm glad that you are going there. That stop was the best for me on my trip to Japan. I highly recommend the Sheraton if you need a place to stay. It's the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at and it's right next to the train station. You can use the sightseeing bus right outside if you have JR Pass. Here are a few pics I took. I recommend getting Okonomiyaki at Nagataya which is right across street from Peace Park. Are you going to Miyajima island? You might check on the JR Pass. I used it a ton when I was there. Multiple shinkansen trips, NEX trips, Sobu and Yamanote lines a lot, JR Miyajima ferry, etc. It was worth it to me! YMMV.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 15, 2014

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
If you're on a budget - Ks House in Hiroshima was super cool. Very friendly staff - 5 min walk from Hiroshima station. We even had a taco night where they made us free tacos & Sangria with BYO drinks.

I used the JR pass a lot more than expected too. Ended up making day trips to Nara, Himeji and Okunoshima cos it's just too drat easy to get around on a shinkansen.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Set your phone to wifi only, use it like a camera, and update whoever is waiting to hear from you after you via wifi get back to your hostel.
Why do you need a sim card? You can survive without voice calls or texting for a week.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also check the baseball schedule for the Hiroshima Carp.
http://www.carp.co.jp/sp/schedule/index.html

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Radiohead71 posted:

Face, where are you staying in Hiroshima? I'm glad that you are going there. That stop was the best for me on my trip to Japan. I highly recommend the Sheraton if you need a place to stay. It's the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at and it's right next to the train station. You can use the sightseeing bus right outside if you have JR Pass. Here are a few pics I took. I recommend getting Okonomiyaki at Nagataya which is right across street from Peace Park. Are you going to Miyajima island? You might check on the JR Pass. I used it a ton when I was there. Multiple shinkansen trips, NEX trips, Sobu and Yamanote lines a lot, JR Miyajima ferry, etc. It was worth it to me! YMMV.

cent0r posted:

If you're on a budget - Ks House in Hiroshima was super cool. Very friendly staff - 5 min walk from Hiroshima station. We even had a taco night where they made us free tacos & Sangria with BYO drinks.

I used the JR pass a lot more than expected too. Ended up making day trips to Nara, Himeji and Okunoshima cos it's just too drat easy to get around on a shinkansen.

As far as activities go I've got nothing booked or on the list for Hiroshima yet but, if Hiroshima is more of a hub for going to other places that might be cool. I'm currently booked into the Sun Route Hotel but, I have heard very good things about K's House and looking up it seems pretty novel to stay in one of the Japanese style rooms for at least a night or two.

It's still possible to cancel my room at the Sun route and go for K's House, so if it's recommended I believe I can easily set it up. Sent an e-mail to K's House in Hiroshima for one of the Japanese style rooms! :v: It's just too tempting to pass up!

On the JR rail pass I'm very tempted to get it and stop off at Kyoto. The problem is I've got my rough plan and have to refine it very quickly as I fly out next Thursday but also be a little aware of my budget.

peanut posted:

Set your phone to wifi only, use it like a camera, and update whoever is waiting to hear from you after you via wifi get back to your hostel.
Why do you need a sim card? You can survive without voice calls or texting for a week.

I don't need a Sim card, I would just like one as I'm going to be there for 10 days (7 of which are in Tokyo), I'd just like the option to be able to make "Holiday-friends" and be able to contact them or whatever easily instead of having to connect to wifi at the end of the day or at restaurants. I would like to use my phone if possible for data and getting around.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 16, 2014

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan hates unlocked phones, and burner cheapos don't exist. Try something like this http://japan-wireless.com/Rent_Wifi.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

peanut posted:

Japan hates unlocked phones, and burner cheapos don't exist. Try something like this http://japan-wireless.com/Rent_Wifi.html

Thanks for posting this. It seems like a really good deal and an easy way to have an always available map/translating tool when connected to an ipad or phone. That's really the only thing I am concerned about. Email and whatever I don't care. But being able to figure out where I am, or how to get somewhere, or just communicate is worth $100 for my trip.

E: I might just get a sim for an iphone 4 that I don't use. But 1 gig of data could go fast. If I am using maps and translation, am I going to burn through it quickly?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 16, 2014

• Locked thread