Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Unmature posted:

Fing Fang Foom
Did the team literally dig Fin Fang Foom out of the ground to make a joke about how he wore pants? Otherwise I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JohnnyCanuck posted:

*huff, puff* Sorry I'm late it's just I was over a few forums away and did somebody kind of tangentially refer to the Slingers?

The Slingers were the best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

The Slingers were the best.

Just don't actually re-read the book or anything. Might sully the memory.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Just don't actually re-read the book or anything. Might sully the memory.

I've never actually read their original series, just read'em in stuff after the fact. Even if it was bad though, worst ideas have been rebooted or relaunched.

Dusk for the Watcher's murderer.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone else feel like it was a total rear end pull how Tony was cleared of any wrong doing with the Gamma Bomb? I was eating up every page of Smart Hulk utterly destroying and outsmarting Tony and then it was just....blah.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Jiro posted:

Anyone else feel like it was a total rear end pull how Tony was cleared of any wrong doing with the Gamma Bomb? I was eating up every page of Smart Hulk utterly destroying and outsmarting Tony and then it was just....blah.

I thought it was a neat switcheroo. Hulk is a character about self control and taking responsibility for your own actions (at least I like when he's written that way). It should be Banner's hubris and he's dealing with it. It would kinda suck to have Tony dealing with the world of bullshit he has to deal with and ALSO be the Hulk's superdad forever. It was a nice twist for me.

I really dug that series on the whole.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unmature posted:

I really dug that series on the whole.

Tony losing his poo poo over Banner suggesting that everyone would be better off if he was dead made it for me.

Science bros :unsmith:

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Jiro posted:

I guess they had to do a balancing act between preserving the wider status quo but still making Tony somehow guilty.

That deus ex machina annoyed me at first but in the end, the series works: there are some nice bromance moments, they do explore the fact that Tony has so many holes in his drunk past that he could have done some awful poo poo he's not aware of and at the end of the day, it's bitter sweet: Bruce doesn't know he could have avoided all that poo poo if he had been more Bruce and less Tony.

I liked that Bruce was characterized like in Waid's run: he's not the punchline of everyone's joke but is another smart guy that the others tend to overlook.
Millar's Ultimates taught me to hate these times Bruce is characterized as a nerd loser everyone hates.

So, is Hulk supposed to remain smart now?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well poo poo certainly went down today. Can anyone figure out what the whisper says?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well poo poo certainly went down today. Can anyone figure out what the whisper says?

It probably isn't, but I'd like to believe it relates to Good Loki's death.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I kind of hope the next issue has a good twist in it because while it hasn't been bad I just want something unexpected. Like it's a mystery where everything is lining up to exactly as it should be but there feels like there's something missing.

That and everytime Fury is all "there's no time to explain" while even the characters within the book are all "no, there is, just explain things already :doom:".

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Gavok posted:

It probably isn't, but I'd like to believe it relates to Good Loki's death.

But it made Thor "unworthy" I suppose, so maybe it's something like a time he got black out drunk and slept with female Loki.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

ENHANCE!

Beanpants fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 13, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I kind of hope the next issue has a good twist in it because while it hasn't been bad I just want something unexpected. Like it's a mystery where everything is lining up to exactly as it should be but there feels like there's something missing.

That and everytime Fury is all "there's no time to explain" while even the characters within the book are all "no, there is, just explain things already :doom:".
Mockingbird did it and she was crazy the whole time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Endless Mike posted:

Mockingbird did it and she was crazy the whole time.

I would trust Aaron to do a better twist than that :colbert:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Maybe Fury told Thor, "I want a divorce."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

Maybe Fury told Thor, "I want a divorce."

It was you are no longer worthy of van art

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"Your application to appear on Strictly Come Dancing was rejected."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"If you ditch Mjolnir you can see Radiohead playing in that window up there"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thor did it. That's what Fury told him.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
"There's not time to explain!" he repeated seventy three times proving he actually had ample time to explain.

Also eye patch sporting military guy just chumped a bunch of more powerful people with no real explanation beyond badassry. Aaron really did say to himself "I can make Identity Crisis better."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Midas sideplot seems super pointless in retrospect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SirDan3k posted:

"There's not time to explain!" he repeated seventy three times proving he actually had ample time to explain.

Also eye patch sporting military guy just chumped a bunch of more powerful people with no real explanation beyond badassry. Aaron really did say to himself "I can make Identity Crisis better."

To be fair, this whole event seems to be pretty much "okay, we gotta kill Nick Fury, how do we make him ten times more badass before we off him and push someone for summerslam?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Am I the only one your read a very real and dark level of sadness in Wolverine's "You even violated the sanctity of Meat Night"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

It wasn't actually unexplained. He had crazy future space stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm a lot more familiar with Marvel comics than DC, and I never read Identity Crisis, but on the face of it "Nick Fury chumps the Avengers" is a lot more believable to me than "Deathstroke chumps the JLA"

Part of it is the fact that Nick Fury, despite being an rear end in a top hat, has always been one of the good guys before.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Aphrodite posted:

Thor did it. That's what Fury told him.

"You made Jean Loring go crazy, Thor, and that's why Sue Dibny died."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really don't like that a whisper from Fury suddenly makes Thor unworthy. This had better be one hell of a sin.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Skwirl posted:

I'm a lot more familiar with Marvel comics than DC, and I never read Identity Crisis, but on the face of it "Nick Fury chumps the Avengers" is a lot more believable to me than "Deathstroke chumps the JLA"
I don't even think this is on the same scale. Deathstroke reacted faster than a Flash and overpowered the will of a GL. Old Fury like, temporarily recalled Iron Man and told Thor mjolnir dickbutt to knock him out of the orbital fight. And violated the sanctity of meat night. If it is Identity Crisis done better, well, then yeah this is better.

Albeit still pretty boring. I am still not really certain I understand the point of all of this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't even think this is on the same scale. Deathstroke reacted faster than a Flash and overpowered the will of a GL. Old Fury like, temporarily recalled Iron Man and told Thor mjolnir dickbutt to knock him out of the orbital fight. And violated the sanctity of meat night. If it is Identity Crisis done better, well, then yeah this is better.

Albeit still pretty boring. I am still not really certain I understand the point of all of this.

The major difference is that IC is a pile of steaming crap.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Original Sin isn't much better.

I mean there isn't any rape, but low bar and all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"All that mead you've been drinking was non-alcoholic the whole time."

"Movie Thor has a beard and if you can't get with the program and match up in time for Avengers 2 you just can't be Thor, bro."

"Do you remember that time Red Hulk beat you with your own hammer? Just think on that for a bit."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whisper chat:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"You've never actually done anything in any event. Hah, now you're thinking of the ultimate sin: bringing up Fear Itself."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The second word is obviously Alderaan.

Princess Leia as new Thor confirmed?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think we can deduce some of what makes Thor unworthy with some assumptions.

First, is that secret is not inherently capable of making Thor unworthy. That is to say that only when the secret is revealed to Thor, is he now unworthy.

Second, because the secret makes him unworthy, it can reflect anything he's done to this point that he's known about, or anything else about him that he is aware of, otherwise he would have already been unworthy.

Third, because the secret itself makes him unworthy, and we've seen other people who thought they were worthy attempt to use the hammer, Thor still believes himself worthy, but the hammer now doesn't. This is an interesting point because this means that:

The only reason Thor is unworthy of the hammer is because he now knows the secret; the existence of the secret had no bearing on him wielding the hammer prior to this point.

That's going to be a tricky secret to write, I'm curious what it will be.

SirDan3k in the General Thread posted:

It's about making Thor think he's unworthy and that kinda failure would probably do it. I mean if it was actually straight up Thor is unworthy automatic hammer loss Thor wouldn't have to hear about it, it'd just happen.

See I don't think it works like that. Just because you think you are worthy doesn't let you wield the hammer, and while I think an argument could be made that he doesn't think he's worthy now that doesn't coincide with him trying to pick up the hammer. If he suddenly realized "I'm not worthy" he wouldn't start trying to pick up the hammer.

The secret is told to him, the hammer no longer follows him, and he goes to get it back and is now realizing "I'm not worthy because of what Fury said."

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 14, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I guess now I'm just curious now how this new Thor lady is gonna get to the moon to grab that hammer.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"You were never worthy. Odin's just been humoring you for hundreds of years."

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Perhaps he can ask Cap to pick it up for him and transport it to an equally secure yet readily available location.

"Sup, Thor, where you want me to put this?" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

Perhaps he can ask Cap to pick it up for him and transport it to an equally secure yet readily available location.

"Sup, Thor, where you want me to put this?" :smug:

gently caress it, just have every last book of an event start with Cap picking up the hammer and yelling Avengers Assemble.

• Locked thread