Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm hoping to put that $1000 coupon to use on an M235i or a 335i, so the 228i on their autocross track is probably a better test drive than any other option for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any SoCal goons get into the LA session? I tried to get one the wait list but am not holding my breath.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Did you call the phone number? I'd try that combined with "I just bought a new BMW".

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Did you call the phone number? I'd try that combined with "I just bought a new BMW".

I will do that. Might be nice to see how their five series performs at 9/10ths rather than mine, which is barely broken in. I assume they are doing 535s?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

No idea.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4618024149.html

Well, the price would need to come down but how does it look? I'm giving up on finding a good e90 (2006 330i or 2009-11 328i) because of stupid prices and poor availability of manual transmissions.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4618024149.html

Well, the price would need to come down but how does it look? I'm giving up on finding a good e90 (2006 330i or 2009-11 328i) because of stupid prices and poor availability of manual transmissions.

Get a better picture from the right side dead on and compare the rear door to the quarter...

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I did my rocker cover gasket. Surprisingly easy except for one bolt at the very rear of the engine. I also got my DSC codes pulled:

- Vehicle Power < 9V (cleared, fixed by new battery)
- Steering angle sensor internal error (cleared but will be retested later)
- Pressure sensor 1

So with that. I'm going to get the pressure sensor fixed first and then hope the angle error is temporary as it's about 2x the parts cost and 2x the labour.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Anybody use the all weather bavauto brand floor mats? They seem like a good deal but it doesn't look like they lock into place like my OE driver's mat does.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
How common are problems with the heads on 1992 325i?

My car was randomly reving when in park and I took it to my mechanic. He said that there was compression / pressure (forget the word he used sorry) issues and that the spark plugs got blown out.

The car had its 100k work done and only has about 138k miles on it. He said the top and maybe the bottom part of the engine may have problems.

I feel like this may get really expensive to fix :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Enigma89 posted:

My car was randomly reving when in park and I took it to my mechanic. He said that there was compression / pressure (forget the word he used sorry) issues and that the spark plugs got blown out.

The car had its 100k work done and only has about 138k miles on it. He said the top and maybe the bottom part of the engine may have problems.

About the only common head issue I hear of regarding the M5x engines is warping after the engine overheats. GDCS indeed.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Enigma89 posted:

If this is actually what he said, get a second opinion.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

mafoose posted:

If this is actually what he said, get a second opinion.

He just told me that the machine shop said the head was not cracked but they found a piston that was having problems. He said to fix that issue (something about replacing rings) it would be $2,600 but because he is taking the engine out he could do the better option for $3,500. I bought the car for $4,000 so I may just sell it for parts and buy another car.

Sad because I really liked this car and all I had was pretty bad moments with my first Beamer and has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Honestly those engines are pretty drat bulletproof other than the GDCS as mentioned. I'm hoping at this point you haven't given them the ok to do any work. Get a second opinion because there are a lot of things that can lead to a surging/unsteady idle.

Also 3.5k for an engine is bullshit. They made a poo poo load of cars using that engine and it should be pretty easy to find a used engine for under 1k...I usually see them going for 4-500.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Take it somewhere else, to a BMW specific mechanic if he isn't one.

None of what you've said has really made any sense. Spark plugs don't blow out from "compression" (if they did spark ignition engines wouldn't be a thing). If spark plugs did blow out they were either loose and/or cross threaded. Generally that can be fixed with a helicoil/timesert.

Your last post makes no sense...what machine shop? Did the mechanic take the head off the car?

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Is there a preference for rims/tires for a 2008 135i for winter? For my Mustang the Blizzaks seem to be more recommended.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Enigma89 posted:

He just told me that the machine shop said the head was not cracked but they found a piston that was having problems. He said to fix that issue (something about replacing rings) it would be $2,600 but because he is taking the engine out he could do the better option for $3,500. I bought the car for $4,000 so I may just sell it for parts and buy another car.

Sad because I really liked this car and all I had was pretty bad moments with my first Beamer and has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

I just want to add to what Crustachio said that the original problem of "randomly revving in park" sounds a whole lot like a sensor. Why the gently caress does the mechanic have your head apart and at a machine shop during a diagnosis? Have you authorized any work yet?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I also have a 1992 325i. You can acquire a 1995 M3 engine for that car that will bolt right in in an afternoon and run you less than 2k buy-it-now on ebay. Don't pay 2600 to have your NV engine fixed.

EDIT: I asked this on bf.c but didn't get much of a response. I'm swapping diff fluid and I have two bottles of 75w140 that contain friction modifier. I also have a 4oz bottle of friction modifier. How much, if any, of the friction modifier should I add? I was thinking an oz or so just to be safe. The diff is out of the car right now so it's a lot easier to make fluid choices before it goes into the car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

Where do you live? because it would cost very little to find a decent junkyard motor and swap it in over a weekend.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

BraveUlysses posted:

Where do you live? because it would cost very little to find a decent junkyard motor and swap it in over a weekend.

San Diego

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

revmoo posted:

I also have a 1992 325i. You can acquire a 1995 M3 engine for that car that will bolt right in in an afternoon and run you less than 2k buy-it-now on ebay. Don't pay 2600 to have your NV engine fixed.

EDIT: I asked this on bf.c but didn't get much of a response. I'm swapping diff fluid and I have two bottles of 75w140 that contain friction modifier. I also have a 4oz bottle of friction modifier. How much, if any, of the friction modifier should I add? I was thinking an oz or so just to be safe. The diff is out of the car right now so it's a lot easier to make fluid choices before it goes into the car.

Zero. Just use the 75w140. Even that is really thick for a street car, I would have gone with 75w90.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

Whats your climate like, Rev? 75w140 in Georgia is wayyyy too harsh when its cold, here.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm in Kentucky so similar climate. BMW changed the M3 diff spec for their later model cars and 'backported' the new spec to E36 diffs. I'm not too worried about the choice of gear oil, I've spent enough days reading threads arguing vehemently for either that I'm confident that it'll work just fine. Also my car is garage kept so the amount of times that it gets below freezing can be probably counted on one hand per year. EDIT: I guess I didn't mention that I was putting in an M differential!

I probably shouldn't mention I'm also switching to 15W50 haha.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 15, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

No rubbing anywhere :v: 16x8 +5 square.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

No rubbing anywhere :v: 16x8 +5 square.

That looks excellent, good job.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Makes me wish I could get a decent e30 for less than 5k. I miss my old euro e30.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I just changed my fuel filter this evening; I noticed a drop of fluid on the transmission drain plug. On further investigation, it looks like my selector shaft seal is leaking. Have any of you done this job before while the transmission is still on the vehicle? Obviously, the exhaust and the drive shaft have to come down, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay $6-800 in labour (:canada:) to change an $11 seal.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's doable with the transmission in place but not fun. You'll want to remove the trans mounts and jack on the front of the engine (wood on the oilpan) to tilt the transmission down. Don't go too hard as it can snap the injector cover off...ask me how I know.

While you're in there I would replace every shift bushing. And install delrin ones in the shift carrier, that makes a huge difference.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Crustashio posted:

Don't go too hard as it can snap the injector cover off...ask me how I know.

While you're in there I would replace every shift bushing. And install delrin ones in the shift carrier, that makes a huge difference.

So...how do you know? :v: You're referring to the cosmetic cover over the injectors, right? That isn't too hard to take off if that's the case. Good call on the shifter bushings; I'm also going to change the giubo while I'm in there whether it needs it or not. Also, I think I'm going to go rent a lift to do the job as it seems it would make it just that much easier (and spend the beer and rent my brother for the day too).

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
1999 M3, 79k miles, hardly ever drive the thing

My a/c doesn't blow cold and when it's on I get a supercharger-like noise that can be heard here. Is there any hope that it's something other than a bad compressor? I guess it could be a combination of low refrigerant and a bad pulley/tensioner. Is the first step in diagnosing it to add refrigerant and see if I can at least get cold air?

edit: With the a/c off but the fan on I do not get that whirring noise.

edit2: Just saw that there's a dedicated a/c thread so I'm going to post over there, since this isn't very BMW-specific

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 17, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
[quote="Easychair Bootson" post="

My a/c doesn't blow cold and when it's on I get a supercharger-like noise
[/quote]

Easychair Bootson posted:

1999 M3, 79k miles, hardly ever drive the thing

My a/c doesn't blow cold and when it's on I get a supercharger-like noise
I can tell you I've had that noise on several cars, including a number of BMWs and it's not necessarily indicative of a problem. You might be able to drive for a long time with the compressor making noise. I'd check the system charge before rushing to replace the compressor.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Brock Landers posted:

I can tell you I've had that noise on several cars, including a number of BMWs and it's not necessarily indicative of a problem. You might be able to drive for a long time with the compressor making noise. I'd check the system charge before rushing to replace the compressor.
Yeah, after posting in the AC thread I added refrigerant and do have cold air, along with an additional chattering noise at idle. I suspect that the compressor is probably bad and that the system won't hold a charge, but I'm going to see how it does and then tackle the problem this fall/winter. I've got a little pickup truck for a daily driver but need the BMW for longer trips so I don't have to borrow my wife's car, and hopefully this will get me through the remaining hot months.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

I've got a problem... I may have wasted a dyno session because of poor advice. I would really like to have an accurate baseline reading because reasons.

Dyno operator said that "he runs most BMW's in 3rd gear," I found this extremely odd, and actually did my third and final pull in 5th gear (which is 1:1.)

But then I posted my results on bimmerforums, only to learn that most S52 ///M cars are done in FOURTH gear.

So this is the information I have:

215hp/222tq@4100rpm (3rd gear)

190hp/???tq@?rpm (5th gear)

I'm still trying to find out the torque figures for the pull in 5th... But is there any way I can turn this information into a useful, "valid" result for 4th?

Or should I just do all future pulls in third? GodDAMNIT.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is it really worth worrying about?

Looked at this car today:

http://nwmsrocks.com/for-sale/2009-bmw-335-i-rwd-sedan-gasoline_5837

Would this be a good buy for 20k? Appears stock, has sport package, adaptive headlights. not sure if the hpfp has been done or not.

One minor accident on carfax (no airbags), does not have any records other than regular dealer service that shows up in the carfax.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

To me it is. I was pretty hyped up over getting what I thought were good numbers then got completely shut down.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If you want to make big numbers, get a snail or a V8. Otherwise, don't bother trying to dyno a strait 6. Its not they don't put out impressive power, its because the two methods I listed above put out even better power.

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!

ThirstyBuck posted:

Anybody use the all weather bavauto brand floor mats? They seem like a good deal but it doesn't look like they lock into place like my OE driver's mat does.

I have OEM rubber that does clip in. From memory, I wondered why I didn't do it sooner since the whole set was sub $100. I thought it was a good deal at the time.

ECS - whole set w/hardware http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/Floor_Mats/ES2608675/

Just fronts http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/Floor_Mats/ES196751/

Just rears http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/Floor_Mats/ES196734/

Cheap! that's for my 330i, not sure what you're driving.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Those are quite a bit cheaper than I expected. Also they look identical to E36 mats. I have the same set.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm a bit torn on what to do, maybe you guys have some opinions.

So I've had my 1996 M3 for just over a year at this point. I just hit 100k miles on the car and I bought it at 89k for $7500. I love the car to death and have dumped (if you've followed my posts) a lot of money into it over the past year.

Stuff:
AFE cold air intake
Ground Control coilover suspension
Replaced RTABs and FCABs and both front control arms
New water pump and fuel filter (not installed still)
Parking break overhaul (rusted mounting plate), new shoes/mounting plate and both rear wheel bearings having to be replaced to access the plate

This all totals close to $5k.

But I'm moving to Chicago in a couple weeks and the car will be going back into winter storage early. I'll be bringing out the e30 early this year. I'm considering selling the M3 this winter as I won't be driving it until I find a place to properly park it in the city and that won't happen until next spring. The car has a few small rust spots (trunk lid and on the driver side door and a wheel well). My biggest reason for selling are cosmetic, the paint has a number of scratches and those rust spots really concern me. I'm thinking I could cut my losses sell the car for ~$10,000 (I feel like I got the car for cheap). Then next year when I have some more money saved buy a nicer/newer M3 without the rust concerns.

I just hate the thought of selling it as it's been my dream to own an M3. Maybe I'm being over dramatic about the rust/scratches but I'm not sure of a good way to deal with it without having the car just resurfaced and painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Popete posted:

I just hate the thought of selling it as it's been my dream to own an M3. Maybe I'm being over dramatic about the rust/scratches but I'm not sure of a good way to deal with it without having the car just resurfaced and painted.

It depends on the extent of the rust. Do you have any pictures of what shows outside (keep in mind, there's more inside and underneath than what's broken through the paint)?