Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What horror films has this man been involved in?
There are also The Orphanage and Julia's Eyes, both of which were critically well received. Pan's Labyrinth is more dark fantasy, but it has some really creepy bits and ends with a father shooting his own daughter. Pretty much everybody thought it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Which game is better/scarier out of Amnesia, System Shock 2, Fatal Frame 2, and Clock Tower 2? Those are the non RE/SH survival horror games I hear the most about. Survival Horror is one of my favorite genres, but I haven't played much outside of RE and SH and Eternal Darkness. RE 1, RE2, SH1, SH2, and ED are probably all in my top 30.

I'm one of those people that believes RE fell apart at RE4.

Dead Space was a letdown. It wasn't scary because you were always too overpowered.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Of that list Fatal Frame 2 is my personal favorite. It has alot of jumpscares but also generally has a good atmosphere and i remember finding the gameplay quite fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Clock Tower 2 is total poo poo, so that one's out. Amnesia, System Shock 2 and Fatal Frame 2 are different enough from each other that I can't really give a blanket recommendation. They're all pretty close to the top of their respective genres. I'd say it's a toss-up between Crimson Butterfly and Amnesia. System Shock 2 is tense, but it hasn't aged very well. Still worth playing, though, especially with a graphical upgrade.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Which game is better/scarier out of Amnesia, System Shock 2, Fatal Frame 2, and Clock Tower 2? Those are the non RE/SH survival horror games I hear the most about. Survival Horror is one of my favorite genres, but I haven't played much outside of RE and SH and Eternal Darkness. RE 1, RE2, SH1, SH2, and ED are probably all in my top 30.

Dead Space was a letdown. It wasn't scary because you were always too overpowered.

System Shock is the best of those games (and I'll contest the idea that it hasn't aged well), but the least scary. Fatal Frame is your best bet, then Amnesia. You didn't mention Alan Wake, and to be fair it's not much of a survival horror game, but it is pretty good. Also check out the PS3 Siren.

If you haven't played Clock Tower 1, you should, it's excellent.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 13, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Hahahahaha, did you just say Clock Tower 2? Cause holy poo poo....the only good Clock Tower game was the first one or the PSX one. Or if you don't mind lots of skeeziness, there's also Haunting Ground. But please never get near Clock Tower 2.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

System Shock is the best of those games (and I'll contest the idea that it hasn't aged well), but the least scary.
I agree that it's still one of the best RPG/FPS mashups ever, but it didn't look very good even for its own time. Compared to some modern stuff, the gun handling is also pretty cludgy and primitive and PSI just isn't really valid as a playstyle at all.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Niggurath posted:

Hahahahaha, did you just say Clock Tower 2? Cause holy poo poo....the only good Clock Tower game was the first one or the PSX one. Or if you don't mind lots of skeeziness, there's also Haunting Ground. But please never get near Clock Tower 2.

Clock Tower 2 is a unfun hot mess but everyone should play Clock Tower 3 because goddamn does that series get loving stupid. I kind of hope someone makes a new game inspired by clock tower, the snes/psx ones are the only horror games where I didn't get annoyed with a 'cannot fight monster, need to hide' mechanic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Which game is better/scarier out of Amnesia, System Shock 2, Fatal Frame 2, and Clock Tower 2? Those are the non RE/SH survival horror games I hear the most about. Survival Horror is one of my favorite genres, but I haven't played much outside of RE and SH and Eternal Darkness.

Ooh, System Shock 2 is a fantastic game that does get pretty freaky, but it is fairly easy to get really powerful. It did scare me a bit, and I'd say I'm a fairly difficult person to scare. It is a great game that kinda ran out of some money near the end, so the end is a bit iffy, but it is definitely great, it is one of my top games.

I haven't finished Fatal Frame 2, but that game actually scares me. It is fantastic, has great atmosphere, and I absolutely love it.

Which Clock Tower 2 are you talking about? In the series, the first one was released on SNES, and later re-released on PSX as Clock Tower: First Fear. That one never came out in America (you can find fan translations out there). Then they released Clock Tower 2 on the PSX, it's a direct sequel to the first one, but it got released in America as Clock Tower. I hear it's pretty good. Then there was a spin-off game called Clock Tower: Ghost Head. It's not related to the other two at all, and got released in America as Clock Tower 2: The Struggle within. I hear it's pretty dreadful. In Japan the game was set in Japan, and in America it was set in California. They couldn't change a whole lot of thins like the backgrounds, so it's still really obvious where it's supposed to be. I hear 3 is pretty good but kinda insane, and Haunting Ground pretty good too, as an honorary part of the series.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
How are y'all talking about del Toro and horror and leaving out The Devil's Backbone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0G9RgRuU_w

It's like Pan's Labyrinth's slightly nastier older brother. Still about children stuck in the middle of the Spanish Civil War, but more of a ghost story rather than dark fantasy.

Also I really liked Downpour and don't get why people are so hard on it v:shobon:v

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

After the strong beginning, everything else about it was just kind of a letdown.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So off the subject of Silent Hill, Five Nights at Freddy's came out. I've been watching a stream of it, and it seems pretty good, the kind of horror game meant to make you feel real dread.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you're itching to play a Resident Evil-like that isn't Resident Evil, track down Rule of the Rose. It's another game that's kind of unfun to play but the story revolves around child abuse and bullying. It's awkward and unsettling all at the same time. Definitely one of those games that's disturbing because of the subject matter but also because how awkwardly things are handled.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

So off the subject of Silent Hill, Five Nights at Freddy's came out. I've been watching a stream of it, and it seems pretty good, the kind of horror game meant to make you feel real dread.

I saw a video of this. I'm reminded of Night Trap, but actually somewhat creepy.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Other than a few missteps, I thought the Silent Hill movie was excellent. I really enjoyed it, though I have an innate fear of evil little girls with hair covering their faces. When I read that Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro were teaming up, my first instinct was pure joy at Hideo Kojima who I love unconditionally. My second response was "which del Toro is this again?" so off to IMDB I went. What horror films has this man been involved in? From what is listed there I have seen the following:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Just really not that good. I don't remember much.
Mama - Really loving bad. I have a pretty high tolerance for a movie before I will outright call it bad but drat. The commercials were way scarier than the movie.

I would loving love to see some transcripts of conversations between del Toro and Kojima.

He only produced those films; both of them were made by first-time directors who had previously made short films that had impressed him. His own films tend to be a lot better but it's nice that he's been willing to pay it forward by lending his name to other young horror directors.

If you're interested in seeing any films he's directed, ones that best impart his general aesthetic, the best places to start in my opinion would be Cronos or Pan's Labyrinth. Or Blade 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

If you're itching to play a Resident Evil-like that isn't Resident Evil, track down Rule of the Rose. It's another game that's kind of unfun to play but the story revolves around child abuse and bullying. It's awkward and unsettling all at the same time. Definitely one of those games that's disturbing because of the subject matter but also because how awkwardly things are handled.
Rule of Rose is one of my favorite games, but its really not for everyone. The gameplay is really slow and clunky and it mostly deserves a lot of the criticism it gets. (Though the game is usually pretty easy because enemies are simple to avoid, the boss fights though...) The atmosphere and writing puts most games to shame, though its not perfect. There were probably some cuts here and there so some parts of the story are vaguer than they should be and its really slow paced but the payoff is real good.

I actually wouldn't suggest buying it unless you get real lucky because as I mentioned earlier here, its become real expensive over the past few years, it tends to run over $100 used online. The annoying thing is that Sony actually owns Rule of Rose so they can easily put it up on PSN. RoR's developer's other game, Chulip, has been on PSN for a while now. I'd suggest just emulating it or watching an LP.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

catlord posted:

Ooh, System Shock 2 is a fantastic game that does get pretty freaky, but it is fairly easy to get really powerful. It did scare me a bit, and I'd say I'm a fairly difficult person to scare. It is a great game that kinda ran out of some money near the end, so the end is a bit iffy, but it is definitely great, it is one of my top games.

I haven't finished Fatal Frame 2, but that game actually scares me. It is fantastic, has great atmosphere, and I absolutely love it.

Which Clock Tower 2 are you talking about? In the series, the first one was released on SNES, and later re-released on PSX as Clock Tower: First Fear. That one never came out in America (you can find fan translations out there). Then they released Clock Tower 2 on the PSX, it's a direct sequel to the first one, but it got released in America as Clock Tower. I hear it's pretty good. Then there was a spin-off game called Clock Tower: Ghost Head. It's not related to the other two at all, and got released in America as Clock Tower 2: The Struggle within. I hear it's pretty dreadful. In Japan the game was set in Japan, and in America it was set in California. They couldn't change a whole lot of thins like the backgrounds, so it's still really obvious where it's supposed to be. I hear 3 is pretty good but kinda insane, and Haunting Ground pretty good too, as an honorary part of the series.

I couldn't remember which Clock Tower people liked. I typed Clock Tower 1 into google before I made that post and saw that it was a SNES game, so I figured it must not be that one. (Because how scary can a SNES game be?) It has to be the next one which should be 2.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
11 pages and no mention of Condemned. Shameful!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I couldn't remember which Clock Tower people liked. I typed Clock Tower 1 into google before I made that post and saw that it was a SNES game, so I figured it must not be that one. (Because how scary can a SNES game be?) It has to be the next one which should be 2.

The first one probably aged the best (at least looks-wise, they are still console point and clicks after all).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Yeah, the first Clock Tower is on SNES and it's pretty amazing. It came out in 1995 and they really squeezed the console for all it had. Clock Tower 2 on PS1 is the first Clock Tower in America. Clock Tower Ghost Head was rebranded as Clock Tower 2 in America but it's actually a spin-off and pants on head dumb. Clock Tower 3 is the proper Clock Tower 3.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Don't play Clock Tower 3 though, just read Dark Id's LP instead, the game is hilariously dumb.

I hear Haunting Ground, the spiritual successor to the series, is good though, if rather skeevy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Dark Id's LPs of PSX/PS2 horror games are all hilarious and worth reading.

Also From Earth's Silent Hill LPs are pretty good.

They're all from the early days of SA LP's, before the LP forum, I think.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Gordon posted:

I forget, is this the game that gets all loving loopy and somehow ends in a barn

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Please play Clocktower 3, the game is hilariously dumb.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Captain Gordon posted:

Condemned is incredible and Condemned 2 somehow managed to make a horror game multiplayer and have it actually work? Which I'm still convinced was some sort of witchcraft.

Condemned 2 does get really loving stupid near the end, to a level where another game in the series is pretty much never going to happen.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Save Russian Jews posted:

I forget, is this the game that gets all loving loopy and somehow ends in a barn

Yes. I liked it, but the sequel never made it to PC. Kinda a shame, since I hear the first half is pretty good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PantsBandit posted:

Condemned is incredible and Condemned 2 somehow managed to make a horror game multiplayer and have it actually work? Which I'm still convinced was some sort of witchcraft.

There's supposed to be something coming out soon where one player is a ghost and the others are being haunted, but I can't recall the name.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I also thought F.E.A.R. 1 was remarkably unnerving for a manshooter, and its first expansion pack (Extraction Point?) actually perfected those creepy sequences, but that was long ago and I'm not sure how all that holds up now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never been more afraid of a bear than in Condemned 2.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Suffering is also a cool horror shooter. It's surprisingly a lot more subtle and atmospheric than you would think at first glance and it had some quality writing. (Dr. Killjoy is a fun villain) Stan Winston also did all the monster designs. I thought the sequel was poo poo though and the original works quite well as a standalone game so you can just ignore 2.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

The Suffering is also a cool horror shooter. It's surprisingly a lot more subtle and atmospheric than you would think at first glance and it had some quality writing. (Dr. Killjoy is a fun villain) Stan Winston also did all the monster designs. I thought the sequel was poo poo though and the original works quite well as a standalone game so you can just ignore 2.

It's also free now: http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/09/25/download-the-suffering-full-free-game/

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Cardiovorax posted:

I agree that it's still one of the best RPG/FPS mashups ever, but it didn't look very good even for its own time. Compared to some modern stuff, the gun handling is also pretty cludgy and primitive and PSI just isn't really valid as a playstyle at all.

There are mods for it that improve the graphics considerably. It still looks dated, but you can get much more higher res textures and such that actually makes the game look kind of nice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Suffering 1 is awesome I loved it. Midway was really on a roll there briefly. Though IIRC Stan Winston only worked on the boss designs for Suffering 2. I did like that Suffering 2 had slight acknowledgement of how you ended Suffering 1 though.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I'd say System Shock 2 has aged better than Deus Ex, at least graphically.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I got a weird problem I'd like to ask you guys about. I brought this up in the P.T. thread. I love horror games, and I love horror sci-fi movies. Event Horizon, Dead Space, Amnesia, Outlast. I love the atmosphere, the story and most of all the mystery. This really became true in P.T. But my problem is that I just cannot handle the horror aspect at all. I just get too freaked out to continue playing the game. Haven't finished anything but Dead Space 2, despite owning all of the games I listed. I'm not sure how I can love horror games but be way too afraid of the horror.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Did a bit of looking around and found a few play through vids of that P.T. demo thing and honestly it didn't look bad. The atmosphere was good and the little moments were set up nicely. It seems to be made in the fox engine so it probably won't look bad either. if the final game is more of this stuff I think I'd like it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ularg posted:

I got a weird problem I'd like to ask you guys about. I brought this up in the P.T. thread. I love horror games, and I love horror sci-fi movies. Event Horizon, Dead Space, Amnesia, Outlast. I love the atmosphere, the story and most of all the mystery. This really became true in P.T. But my problem is that I just cannot handle the horror aspect at all. I just get too freaked out to continue playing the game. Haven't finished anything but Dead Space 2, despite owning all of the games I listed. I'm not sure how I can love horror games but be way too afraid of the horror.
People generally have obsessions with the things they fear. For example, I'm really bad with heights, but they just intrigue me for some reasons. I get this weird enjoyment from looking down in high places, or watching that one video of the guy climbing the radio tower.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 14, 2014

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Ularg posted:

This was me when I was playing the original Silent Hill when I was 14. However, I'm guessing you're not 14 so maybe you should just stick to Let's Plays.

Mindblast posted:

Did a bit of looking around and found a few play through vids of that P.T. demo thing and honestly it didn't look bad. The atmosphere was good and the little moments were set up nicely. It seems to be made in the fox engine so it probably won't look bad either. if the final game is more of this stuff I think I'd like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrL8ybvDSkA

For anyone who hasn't seen it.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

This was me when I was playing the original Silent Hill when I was 14. However, I'm guessing you're not 14 so maybe you should just stick to Let's Plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrL8ybvDSkA

For anyone who hasn't seen it.

I'm 21, so that just makes it even more sad. :v:

I just generally feel uncomfortable with body horror and gore. But man oh man do I love really good atmosphere. Hell I'd love to work on creating a horror game one day. All of the small details placed in the environment and the audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Other than a few missteps, I thought the Silent Hill movie was excellent. I really enjoyed it, though I have an innate fear of evil little girls with hair covering their faces. When I read that Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro were teaming up, my first instinct was pure joy at Hideo Kojima who I love unconditionally. My second response was "which del Toro is this again?" so off to IMDB I went. What horror films has this man been involved in? From what is listed there I have seen the following:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Just really not that good. I don't remember much.
Mama - Really loving bad. I have a pretty high tolerance for a movie before I will outright call it bad but drat. The commercials were way scarier than the movie.

I would loving love to see some transcripts of conversations between del Toro and Kojima.

The Silent Hill movies are sort of weird, in that there's clearly someone involved with them who is very familiar with the games and extremely dedicated to capturing the look and giving nods to certain elements of the game, but the actual writing is fairly bad and for some reason it fails to take advantage of the actually interesting plot elements from the games (the fact that the plot of silent hill 2 has gone unused is a drat shame). That said, when I first saw the original Silent Hill movie I actually had quite a lot of fun, just seeing all the little touches which made it resemble one of the games, noticing all the "in jokes" (for lack of a better term), etc. It really suffered on repeat viewings though, the second time I watched it I realized the first half is mediocre at best and there's a point where the film takes a very sharp nosedive (just about exactly when the protagonist runs into the hospital room and proceeds to get an extremely unsubtle infodump and then the rest of the movie is pretty much a loss.

quote:

I would say that Amnesia is probably the scariest, but it may not appeal from a gameplay perspective, and it's fairly short.

System Shock 2 is probably the best game, but it's not that scary. The first part is a bit tense when you're low on supplies and you've got mutants stalking the halls but once you get past that part you'll be powerful enough that death isn't a constant threat (and when it does happen it's not a crippling loss of credits).

Fatal Frame 2 is a decent game if you're looking for something that will go on longer than Amnesia.