Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, I can take maybe one actual movie about thanos. He's a really stupid character when you take a step back and look at him, so I would prefer if they continue to use him sparingly.

I think Thanos, as written and conceived by Starlin, is a great character, but we're clearly not going to get that version of the character in the films if the buildup is any indication. We're just going to get Darkseid-lite with a touch of nihilism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What is interesting about him? AFAIK he just loves death and wants to kill everyone to make her happy but it actually makes her mad so it's kind of moot/rear end-backwards. I'm not arguing with you, I really would like to know what starlin did that worked.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, she was good, especially in contrast to the other villains.

I loved the weird cyber warble effect they threw on her voice as well. I definitely hope we get a lot more of her in future films.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

What is interesting about him? AFAIK he just loves death and wants to kill everyone to make her happy but it actually makes her mad so it's kind of moot/rear end-backwards. I'm not arguing with you, I really would like to know what starlin did that worked.

The word that comes to mind regarding Starlin's cosmic comics is "contemplative." Thanos is a contemplative villain. His love of Death is an anthropomorphized form of nihilism cast in superhero comic book terms, and I love it.

I recently read the Thanos Quest issues for the first time and they get to the heart of the character really well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't see this posted yet but Awesome Mix vol 1 is the number 1 album in America.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Lurdiak posted:

I think Thanos, as written and conceived by Starlin, is a great character, but we're clearly not going to get that version of the character in the films if the buildup is any indication. We're just going to get Darkseid-lite with a touch of nihilism.

Bad Thanos stories tend to be a lot like that.

I'm don't like Infinity Gauntlet, but I did like how Thanos was a character that actually tried to change and better himself over the course of those stories.

I don't like how those stories are written, but I'd be lying if I said Thanos wasn't interesting.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

The Action Man posted:

I'm don't like Infinity Gauntlet, but I did like how Thanos was a character that actually tried to change and better himself over the course of those stories.

I don't like how those stories are written, but I'd be lying if I said Thanos wasn't interesting.

the recent Starlin Thanos book Infinity Revelation was a really good example of this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Action Man posted:

Yeah, the genuine moments of self-reflection are what separates him from other "cosmic despot"-style villains. Those periodic moments where he's like "Huh, the way I'm doing things isn't working and I don't like what that says about me, I need to rethink things."

Darkseid's a great villain, but an uncomplicated one. His goal is pretty static; he wants all life under his thumb. Thanos, at times, isn't quite sure what he really wants. To die? To be Death? To be one with Death?

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 14, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlimGoodbody posted:

I loved the weird cyber warble effect they threw on her voice as well. I definitely hope we get a lot more of her in future films.

I love when she says "Thanks, Dad". It just screamed gently caress YOU DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen Gillian :swoon:

If they did Infinity War, they need to have the two Thanosi and one keeps peeking on the other. I cracked up at that, though it would lack the awesome Kang/Doom team up.

gently caress, we'll never seen Kang with this green gogo boots in a movie will we?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 14, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, she was good, especially in contrast to the other villains.

Nebula? She was treated worse than Gamora. Does absolutely nothing most of the movie, then gets a 1 on 1 fight with Gamora (because girls can only fight girls) and that's it. The makeup was fabulous and evey line she got she made sure was gold, but even side characters like the Broker, Yondu and the Collector got more love than Nebula did.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Nebula? She was treated worse than Gamora. Does absolutely nothing most of the movie, then gets a 1 on 1 fight with Gamora (because girls can only fight girls) and that's it. The makeup was fabulous and evey line she got she made sure was gold, but even side characters like the Broker, Yondu and the Collector got more love than Nebula did.

She was way more of a badass than Gamora, though. Shrugs off a point-blank rocket to the face, cuts off her own hand rather than be rescued/captured, then steals a spaceship and bounces out of the movie.

I was disappointed in how they treated Gamora. Isn't she supposed to be the deadliest woman in the galaxy? Do we even really see her conclusively win a fight in the movie?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

She was way more of a badass than Gamora, though. Shrugs off a point-blank rocket to the face, cuts off her own hand rather than be rescued/captured, then steals a spaceship and bounces out of the movie.

I wouldn't say she shrugs it off, but yeah, she did take a lickin' from a non-raccoon rocket and managed to get back up again.

EDIT because you added more: Gamora was so sad, she drives the entire plot of the movie in terms of actively moving the orb around and during big fight scenes she's either fighting a guard off-screen, running away in a pod while Rocket the raccoon and Quill the Star-Lord get all the cool scenes, or being pidgeonholed into the aforementioned fight with Nebula while everyone else fights the big fight against the ships and soldiers.

I enjoed Guardians very much, but Gamora and Nebula were so badly used.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 14, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was disappointed in how they treated Gamora. Isn't she supposed to be the deadliest woman in the galaxy? Do we even really see her conclusively win a fight in the movie?

Nobody does, not alone, the crux of the movie is they need each other/are more powerful together.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Nobody does, not alone, the crux of the movie is they need each other/are more powerful together.

I don't know how much of this is necessary to spoil so I'ma just spoil all of it:

Groot takes out a ton of people single-handedly. Drax disarms a prison riot and ices Korath. Rocket Raccoon at least takes out Ronan for a minute with his suicide-bomber move. Quill goes back into the prison by himself and takes down a bunch of dudes to get his Walkman back.

I might just be remembering poorly, but I'm struggling to think of any similarly cool feat that Gamora gets. Even her big fight with Nebula ends in a stalemate. If the character comes off okay at all, it's because Zoe Saldana is a very good actress that excels at this type of role.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 14, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Potsticker posted:

I wouldn't say she shrugs it off, but yeah, she did take a lickin' from a non-raccoon rocket and managed to get back up again.
Her body is all screwed up after that happens, a bunch of weird stuff like pops back into place, it was a neat effect.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Her body is all screwed up after that happens, a bunch of weird stuff like pops back into place, it was a neat effect.

I agree.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, the genuine moments of self-reflection are what separates him from other "cosmic despot"-style villains. Those periodic moments where he's like "Huh, the way I'm doing things isn't working and I don't like what that says about me, I need to rethink things."

Darkseid's a great villain, but an uncomplicated one. His goal is pretty static; he wants all life under his thumb. Thanos, at times, isn't quite sure what he really wants. To die? To be Death? To be one with Death?

Thanos is Darkseid on weed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Thanos is Darkseid on weed.

Kinda, yeah. I like those stories about how fans used to send baggies of weed to Starlin and Englehart with their letters.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't know how much of this is necessary to spoil so I'ma just spoil all of it:

I might just be remembering poorly, but I'm struggling to think of any similarly cool feat that Gamora gets. Even her big fight with Nebula ends in a stalemate. If the character comes off okay at all, it's because Zoe Saldana is a very good actress that excels at this type of role.

The majority of that happens after the big team up or when they are just starting to cooperate, Gamora's moment is sadly more femininely traditional in her being the one to reach out to Quill despite knowing better then anyone else that it'd probably just kill her to. While her beating Nubula outright it would have been nice it would have been counter to the narrative if Gamora went off on her own and beat her nemesis with no help and I can see why Gunn didn't do that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One thing that really struck me in the movie is how well the Knowhere defeats really felt absolutely crushing for the main characters: Drowned, suffocated, frozen, beaten, robbed, captured, etc., but ultimately ended up uniting them.

It sort of made me think of it as a counterpoint to the scene in Avengers where they blow up the forest, for some reason.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JediTalentAgent posted:

One thing that really struck me in the movie is how well the Knowhere defeats really felt absolutely crushing for the main characters: Drowned, suffocated, frozen, beaten, robbed, captured, etc., but ultimately ended up uniting them.

It sort of made me think of it as a counterpoint to the scene in Avengers where they blow up the forest, for some reason.

Actually, the counterpoint scene is the entire Helicarrier fight. And they still mope around until Nick Fury has to lie to them to do anything about the aliens stomping New York into a mud hole.

I mean, I still like the Avengers, but seeing GOTG kinda underlines and bolds how needlessly terrible they were to each other, except for Tony and Bruce.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I mean, I still like the Avengers, but seeing GOTG kinda underlines and bolds how needlessly terrible they were to each other, except for Tony and Bruce.

Tony TASED Bruce.

But the Avengers being huge dicks to each other and fighting is part of why they're the Avengers and not the Justice League.

Although I still think Guardians completely blew Avengers out of the water.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah Avengers was painfully generic. Hell even the dialog was generic and that is basically Whedon's thing.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

CelticPredator posted:

This is not what happened. Peter jumped in. She didn't ask for him.

theflyingorc posted:

As I recall, doesn't she effortlessly disarm those guys when they get slightly distracted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiAFwV2emZQ

Drax is about to stab her, when Peter stops him. He talks Drax down, and then Gamora springs into action and disarms them. After she has already had her rear end saved by Star-Lord. If not for Quill, she'd be shishkabobbed. Seriously, the movie completely takes a poo poo all over her character, it never gives her a true victory in the same way it gives the other characters, she's constantly being saved by Star-Lord, since by movie logic she is the only woman in the crew and therefore must be the protagonist's love interest. and despite her being the driving force behind the actions in the movie, she's never the one actually calling the shots. The closest she comes is when she leads them to Knowhere, and as soon as they get there she's once again relegated to following other people.

By no means did it ruin the movie, but it's still a bit sad that even in 2014, with the best superhero movie of the year, we can't get Hollywood to give us a decent loving female lead.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiAFwV2emZQ

Drax is about to stab her, when Peter stops him. He talks Drax down, and then Gamora springs into action and disarms them. After she has already had her rear end saved by Star-Lord. If not for Quill, she'd be shishkabobbed. Seriously, the movie completely takes a poo poo all over her character, it never gives her a true victory in the same way it gives the other characters, she's constantly being saved by Star-Lord, since by movie logic she is the only woman in the crew and therefore must be the protagonist's love interest. and despite her being the driving force behind the actions in the movie, she's never the one actually calling the shots. The closest she comes is when she leads them to Knowhere, and as soon as they get there she's once again relegated to following other people.

By no means did it ruin the movie, but it's still a bit sad that even in 2014, with the best superhero movie of the year, we can't get Hollywood to give us a decent loving female lead.

This clip happens after Gamora whoops on them, takes their knives and says "I'm on your side."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Potsticker posted:

Not sure I'd agree about the Broker and the Collector really.

It's more that she was the only interesting villain; Ronan was generic as hell (could have been swapped with Malekith from Thor 2 without either movie losing anything), and the Thanos stuff was the worst the franchise has been at shoving unnecessary stuff in there to build up a later movie.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

This reminds me, I loved all the little things in the movie too. Like Quill's radio being sticker-free in the end, the sound effects coming from Thanos' armor which you can just barely hear, all the work put into just the little movements of Groot and Rocket.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Tony TASED Bruce.

But the Avengers being huge dicks to each other and fighting is part of why they're the Avengers and not the Justice League.

When was that? I just remember them being Science Bros.

It would be nice if they didn't chase the Spacedad plot thread and make the sequel Gamora centric.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

(could have been swapped with Malekith from Thor 2 without either movie losing anything)

See I disagree. While both are pretty thin in characterization, I feel like I remember Ronan. He did stuff on his own and was just a crazy bad guy. Malekith just sort of showed up when Thor was there and talked about his plan. Ronan killed The Other and and crushed a guys skull. I have more memories of who Ronan is than who Malekith was. I mean I guess Malekith killed Thor's mom and ate the red goo, but I feel Ronan felt more like a character, even if there wasn't alot of it. Maybe it also has to do with how each character was played too. Ronan had some emotion going on, anger, surprise, dismissal. Malekith was just sort of one thing the whole way through, even when he died.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 14, 2014

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's more that she was the only interesting villain; Ronan was generic as hell (could have been swapped with Malekith from Thor 2 without either movie losing anything), and the Thanos stuff was the worst the franchise has been at shoving unnecessary stuff in there to build up a later movie.

I'm kind of sad that Ronan was meh, Lee Pace was great in Pushing Daisies. I hope he can be used as someone else in the marvel films

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anora posted:

I'm kind of sad that Ronan was meh, Lee Pace was great in Pushing Daisies. I hope he can be used as someone else in the marvel films

Christopher Eccleston is great too, although you wouldn't know it from Thor 2. He's barely recognisable, and not in a good way.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Unlucky7 posted:

When was that? I just remember them being Science Bros.

It would be nice if they didn't chase the Spacedad plot thread and make the sequel Gamora centric.

He wasn't Tazed, Tony just poked him in the side with a sparky thing to see if he really had his temper in check.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did they ever explain what the hell "I'm always angry" means anyway?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ImpAtom posted:

Did they ever explain what the hell "I'm always angry" means anyway?

It means that he's always angry. He only Hulks out when he loses his temper, but the anger to fuel that temper is always there. All he has to do is let it happen.

That was my interpretation, anyway. There's no point where they sit down and make that explicit.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not sure I'd agree about the Broker and the Collector really.

I don't know why people think Ronan was uninteresting. He had a stupid ship and stupid grunts, but otherwise he was quite entertaining. He emoted well, had firm motivations, and got interrupted every time he tried to do a big badguy speech in front of the good guys. His fighting was mostly crap and his no-selling against Drax was annoying, though. I think Drax came out of the movie not nearly looking as strong (punch and muscles-wise) as he should've.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sarchasm posted:

It means that he's always angry. He only Hulks out when he loses his temper, but the anger to fuel that temper is always there. All he has to do is let it happen.

That was my interpretation, anyway. There's no point where they sit down and make that explicit.

Yeah he's probably constantly suppressing the urge to hulk out. When he gets really stressed out it, he loses control like when he jumps out of the helicopter or when hawkeye blows up the helicarrier engine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I imagine Thanos is only in it because Marvel Studios expects WB/DC will want to use Darkseid eventually in their own movies and wants to pip them to the post.

Kang or somebody probably would have been a better arch-villain for the movies than Thanos.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I dunno.

I can't really see that, like every Marvel film is basically the template of "mystical item that turns out to be infinity gem gets captured by bad guy, heroes fight around for it, gem is ~unaccounted for by films end~. I can't see them building the films around someone other than Thanos wanting Infinity Gems.

Though yeah DC are going to do Justice League vs Darkseid too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I imagine Thanos is only in it because Marvel Studios expects WB/DC will want to use Darkseid eventually in their own movies and wants to pip them to the post.

That's nonsense. Thanos has always been the one guy who's a step above Dr. Doom in the Marvel villain hierarchy, and the ultimate cosmic villain. The infinity Gauntlet crossover is one of the best-regarded and best known marvel event books. There was even an incredibly popular arcade game based around it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Waterhaul posted:

I dunno.

I can't really see that, like every Marvel film is basically the template of "mystical item that turns out to be infinity gem gets captured by bad guy, heroes fight around for it, gem is ~unaccounted for by films end~. I can't see them building the films around someone other than Thanos wanting Infinity Gems.

Though yeah DC are going to do Justice League vs Darkseid too.

Hu? All the gems are accounted for. The Tesseract is in Asgard, the Aether is with teh Collector and the Orb is with the Nova Corps.

Also, simply as a climactic villain for your franchise, Thanos is a great choice. The guy is literally a danger to the entire universe, you can't really ask for a better final opponent. Kang on the other hand, has the problem of having time travel being his entire shtick, and that is generally something you want to avoid unless you make your entire movie about it.

e X fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread