Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Dubs posted:

Has Jeff McCloy resigned yet? (phone posring) still saying he won't?

McCloy is still Mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Quantum Mechanic posted:

McCloy is still Mayor.

Our very own Rob Ford, eat your heart out Toronto.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
A while back someone mentioned the tax receipt that was shoehorned in to try and make things look bad and wanting to see it? Just got mine today:

Notice how the debt for this year has increased by 70 billion. ADULTS ARE BACK IN CHARGE

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Holy poo poo that yearly salary

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

I'm legit considering applying when I graduate uni, except I don't have a drivers licence.

Also BT is always recruiting casual bus drivers if you're on your Opens :)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Newcastle Herald posted:

NEWCASTLE has been identified as a prime candidate for an overhaul of voting laws that the independent Lake Macquarie MP Greg Piper has labelled "frightening" in the wake of revelations coming out of the Independent Commission Against Corruption.

A bill set to be introduced in Parliament today will, if passed, amend existing laws so that businesses are forced to vote in City of Sydney elections.

The proposed law has been widely interpreted as an attempt to push out Sydney lord mayor Clover Moore but Local Government Minister Paul Toole has identified Newcastle as another prime candidate for the reform.

"Well, what we're going to see is that this will be introduced for the 2016 local government elections here for the City of Sydney," he said.

"[However] the regulations would allow it to be rolled out to other areas.

"That could include places like Parramatta, Newcastle, Wollongong and other places."

The law would be modelled on the City of Melbourne, where landlords, business owners, corporations and other non-residents must vote in council elections. A business owner is entitled to two votes and the landlord of their building also has two votes.

It follows the recommendations of a parliamentary committee that the change be considered for other economic activity centres.

But the independent member for Lake Macquarie, Greg Piper, says the timing of the law is "extraordinary".

"It is frightening and ironic that the timing of this comes when we're seeing the influence peddling and corruption already on display in Newcastle," he said.

Mr Piper is not alone in his concern. Yesterday Newcastle City Green councillor Michael Osborne said the policy would fuel existing concerns that the council "has become a plaything for business interests" because it would give those sectors of the community more say in elections.

The government has argued the policy is fair because business contributes a high ratio of rates - in Sydney it's 78.5 per cent.

Premier Mike Baird said current laws "effectively disenfranchise a large proportion of those who pay the rates . . . and are most directly impacted by the council's decisions".

But Labor councillor Nuatali Nelmes questioned that logic because, she said, the changes would give more influence to those with more wealth.

"The rate system is imperfect but it's supposed to be progressive, if you earn more you pay more," she said.

"What they're basically saying is OK we're wealthy, we deserve more of a say than you."

Daniel Wallace, the secretary of the Newcastle Trades Hall Council, remarked that as with most electoral policies, "the devil is in the detail".

"It doesn't cost me much to register a business. What's stopping me registering 100 businesses in a local government area and stacking a local government election," he said.

But the Property Council has welcomed the changes and the government's plans to extend them beyond Sydney.

The council's man in the Hunter, Andrew Fletcher, believes the change would "fulfil a basic democratic principle".

"This is not a debate about personalities or party politics but a basic democratic principle - that if you contribute substantial rates and taxes, you earn the right to vote."

Let me play that again

quote:

a basic democratic principle - that if you contribute substantial rates and taxes, you earn the right to vote.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Let me play that again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_urWSSZgwU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I think jeff mccloy owns half of the newcastle CBD..

The 1000 reign begins

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

I had a look at smartjobs recently.

Really made me feel good having studied four years to be a teacher and know that there are unqualified public service admin positions that pay vastly more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dubs posted:

I think jeff mccloy owns half of the newcastle CBD..

The 1000 reign begins
Dunno what you mean, he's not a property developer.

quote:

Mr McCloy’s family company is a major property developer in the Hunter region, but he maintained that he personally was not a developer because he did not personally regularly apply for development approvals and could therefore legally give political donations.

Mr McCloy claimed that he was not a property developer for the purposes of the Electoral Funding and Disclosures Act, even though his family company was developing more than 4,000 residential lots and had massive commercial property holdings.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ownership guarantees citizenship.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Anyone using this Chrome extension? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bye-rupert/ehdikikkfbfjjemfadgggcohkjoggoof
There isn't a whole lot of detail about it

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Who was the head that fell at the ICAC today? Can't find anything on it.

e; ^^ MurdochBlock is the more commonly-used one

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/us-critics-pan-chris-lilleys-jonah-from-tonga-brownface-20140814-103z8u.html?google_editors_picks=true

US critics pan Chris Lilley's Jonah from Tonga 'brownface'

Chris Lilley’s show Jonah from Tonga has commenced its run in the United States to a similar reaction it received in Australia – a mixture of poor reviews and calls for its scrapping due to perceived racism.

Lilley’s decision to use “brown-face” in his portrayal of Jonah has even seen the program drawn into a controversy sparked by the Seattle Gilbert and Sullivan Society’s recent production of The Mikado, the comic opera traditionally played by white actors made up as Japanese characters.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

"Australia is always willing to help those in need (unless they come here by boat)"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Queensland public service is a lovely place to work, which is why it has to pay more. You also get therapy sessions generally, because the cognitive dissonance caused by working for a LNP shitheap is horrible.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

saw this just now. had to turn around to snap a shot.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Amoeba102 posted:

"Australia is always willing to help those in need (unless they come here by boat)"

I'm assuming that all those desperate people have filled out all of the required paperwoahahahahahahahahahahaha

This government's cognitive dissonance is inspiring.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Shared unironically on my facebook wall as

"This may be satire now, Anidav but in 20 years time..."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
On my way to my first actual Greens meeting :toot:

Murodese posted:

Who was the head that fell at the ICAC today? Can't find anything on it.
State Liberal MP for Swansea (just south of Newcastle) joined the crossbench.

Most of the testimony today was from Newcastle Lord Mayor Clay Davis Jeff McCloy.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Anidav posted:

Get better friends.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Pretty good Clarke & Dawe on. Can we get a GDT in this bitch for Clarke & Dawe

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The funniest part of this is he thinks Shorten will still be leader in 20 years time. :allears:

Also Jesus Christ anidav. You live in the social equivalent of a dystopian hellscape don't you.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
"A Dystopian Hellscape" is the new QLD number plate slogan.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
"The Smart State"

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Murodese posted:

"The Smrat State"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah Bro posted:

Get better friends.

I do have good friends, I just keep the crazies so I can watch.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pobody's Nerfect.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anidav posted:

So they're saying they wouldn't like living in a world where the mainstream media caters to a different culture? Gosh.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Anidav posted:

I do have good friends, I just keep the crazies so I can watch.

I don't even know where you find people like that. I live in qld too and haven't seen anyone close to that anti-Islamic.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On my way to my first actual Greens meeting :toot:

Just went to mine as well, nice people, had an interesting conversation with an old physicist who'd worked at all two places you'd see one in this country.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

As a "Poly" I will say that the main problems with Jonah from Tonga is that he's from Tonga.

If it was never clear where he was from it would be fine, but as soon as you impugn the pride of one particular group (i.e Tongans) it's a massively big deal.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Been funny would have helped too.

Jokes on them, I would say I was Muslim to get the paper for $1

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Man these liberal party pamphlets are just getting worse and worse.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

What is the Liberal stance on Jumanji?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Jumanji was grouse

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
In the poor house you must wait until you roll a 5 or 8.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

xutech posted:

As a "Poly" I will say that the main problems with Jonah from Tonga is that he's from Tonga.

If it was never clear where he was from it would be fine, but as soon as you impugn the pride of one particular group (i.e Tongans) it's a massively big deal.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I'm sure Lilley didn't intend it to seem like 'all Tongans are like this', but... christ, it comes off like it. I don't think it would've been possible to write it while avoiding where he was actually from, since his pride in his heritage is pretty big to both him and the structural integrity of the show, but it probably could've managed a lot better if the place was fictional.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
or idk maybe don't make a character whose major defining characteristic is his race and then brownface yourself to play him :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Gough Suppressant posted:

or idk maybe don't make a character whose major defining characteristic is his race and then brownface yourself to play him :shrug:

yeah pretty much. If you can't write your show without it seeming racist, it's probably racist and you should not make the show.

• Locked thread