Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One thing I desperately want is support for custom keybindings. You can do this in SoC with an dll hook, but it's very clumsy. Having such functionality built in would be a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

One thing I desperately want is support for custom keybindings. You can do this in SoC with an dll hook, but it's very clumsy. Having such functionality built in would be a godsend.

You've got it. Anyone else have things they want to see?

I can start now by practicing on the Clear Sky source and seeing what my changes are like. I've already made a few changes that turned out quite well (I did the full auto pistols and it works very well. I also tried the variable rpm and it seems to work.)

I should also mention that when this source is released it will be on Github or SVN or something so people can modify it.

One thing that I forgot to mention before that needs to be done is this: The goddamned stuttering that happens from time to time needs to be wiped out. With the source code I'm sure it's possible to totally eliminate it, it will just take a talented programmer.

I know I'm no programmer but I can use help forums for C/C++ and ask questions without letting on to what game I'm modifying. I also put a job ad on ModDB looking for programmer(s).

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Swartz posted:

You've got it. Anyone else have things they want to see?

I can start now by practicing on the Clear Sky source and seeing what my changes are like. I've already made a few changes that turned out quite well (I did the full auto pistols and it works very well. I also tried the variable rpm and it seems to work.)

I should also mention that when this source is released it will be on Github or SVN or something so people can modify it.

One thing that I forgot to mention before that needs to be done is this: The goddamned stuttering that happens from time to time needs to be wiped out. With the source code I'm sure it's possible to totally eliminate it, it will just take a talented programmer.

I know I'm no programmer but I can use help forums for C/C++ and ask questions without letting on to what game I'm modifying. I also put a job ad on ModDB looking for programmer(s).

I'd be down for Molotov cocktails and the like since it seems like that sort of thing should be common in the Zone (cheap, easy-to-make thing that goes boom, after all) but thinking about what all the different mods have accomplished, the only roadblock ought to be the explosion-on-impact thing. The flame effects are already present (see: mods that add flamethrowers) and everything else should be a matter of models and animations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Swartz posted:

So I have a response from the source code "leaker" (looks more and more like it may be okay):

My message to him:

His response:

So it sounds like he's waiting for his NDA agreement to expire before releasing it...but we will likely have the COP source code soon :D

Time to start making a wishlist of engine features people. I'm already getting started on getting programmers together for this (and I can do some small C++ mods myself: I made a few changes in the CS source which are coming along nicely).

To any mods reading this: May we have permission to openly post this code once released? It seems as though GSC doesn't really care and might be okay with it.

Here's a wishlist I compiled so far:
*Change per-vertex lighting to per-pixel lighting
*Add support for SMAA, and FXAA
*Add more advanced collision detection for particles as well as wallmarks
*Add support for artist-programmable tessellation
*Add ability for full-auto pistols (empty animations show up correctly)
*Allow for variable rates of fire (abakan fires 1800 rpm in 2-round burst mode, while retaining normal rate of fire in other modes)
*Allow attachable bayonets
*Allow attachable underslung shotguns
*Allow impact-detonated grenades
*Allow manual reloading (have to press reload key to reload)
*Contact Nvidia and ask to implement HBAO+ and TXAA
*Add multi-threaded support
*Add enviornment mapping for models/weapons

Based on what I've seen of the CS source I can do the full auto pistols, variable rates of fire, and manual reloading but that's about it.

I'm hoping COP gets to be the first engine to get DirectX12 through modders rather than any other games.

Mother of god! but, lol, gently caress you, I have just gone from "may as well get an i7" to "practically nothing I use atm uses more than 1 core effectivly", whelp, guess I better start saving for something with more than 2 cores.

For Ideas?
Well,
  • Template for modular guns and suits, with a matching repair and upgrade system, splitting suits and weapons into upgradable/replacable parts would add some filler to stashes, be a decent money sink for high end equipment, also, adding some "home made" or "folk" equipment (crash helmets, gardening gloves, brass knuckles, goggles, rucksacks to add a % more stuff to carry, crappy sneakers, army boots, hiking boots, etc etc.
  • Some mods seemed to want to use a vest to load up with magazines, perhaps medkits and so on as well, Lost Alpha uses your "belt" to "ready" stuff to use.
    either of those seems like it would work well with the reloading mechanic you like.
  • Addons for helms and armor, similar to the "infrared"? whatever it was, helmet upgrade that made enemy's visible on the minimap.
  • Trip, stumble, knockover, drop, & jitter/wobble % with grenades, damage, some artifacts, anomalies and exhaustion.
  • vehicles. how about http://www.veeblog.com/2014/07/this-russian-motorbike-looks-amazing.html warning, loud music.

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 12, 2014

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
In terms of pure gameplay features it'd be nice to one day see a working stealth/npc awareness system built from the ground up, rather than the current implementations that seem to be weird hacks that aren't very reliable anyway.

It's impressive what modders have managed in this regard without the source code, but still.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Is there any game like CoP out there? I've tried Metro: Last Light and it's way too linear for me. I also don't particularly want to play Lost Alpha if it makes repair kits unusable and adds fanfic cutscenes. Is there anything else?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

pun pundit posted:

Is there any game like CoP out there? I've tried Metro: Last Light and it's way too linear for me. I also don't particularly want to play Lost Alpha if it makes repair kits unusable and adds fanfic cutscenes. Is there anything else?

SGM? have a look at the cop mod db page.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Guys, I just restarted my LA game and I think I broke it already

my money has gone up to 25 million rubles now, actually. it seems that the paper money you can pick up from dead guys is borked

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

staberind posted:

SGM? have a look at the cop mod db page.

There's a nice all-in-one download of SGM there, so thanks for pointing me in that direction. What does it do, though? It says in the OP that it adds more stuff, but I can find no description of what kind of stuff it adds to the game, whether it adjusts difficulty, alters radiation mechanics, or anything like that.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. facebook page continues to deliver hilarity.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

pun pundit posted:

There's a nice all-in-one download of SGM there, so thanks for pointing me in that direction. What does it do, though? It says in the OP that it adds more stuff, but I can find no description of what kind of stuff it adds to the game, whether it adjusts difficulty, alters radiation mechanics, or anything like that.

Disclaimer: I've only ever played SGM 2.2, so ignore this if you're planning on playing one of the earlier versions. The latter have less new content, but are more stable.

It adds a ton of content: guns, missions, areas, mutants, the works. The missions vary from perfectly doable to "ahahahaha gently caress you," which sets the standard for the rest of the mod. Quality of the missions tends to vary, but overall they could use some serious polishing. As far as the new mutants go, they range from kind of funny to "ahahahaha gently caress you," although do note that in some missions the "gently caress you" portion is more because you're getting mobbed by a thousand mutants at once. I don't think any of the mechanics from the base game are altered in any significant way. Really, the alterations are just for adding new content, and that new content tends to vary along a wide spectrum. I'd say you should pick it up if only to see whether you like it, but be aware that you're playing a mod held together by string, chewed gum, and scraps of duct tape. It's a fun experience if you don't get too caught up with the rough patches, which are many, and plan for each mission accordingly*.

*read: get the Gauss gun ASAP and never look back, also mod the knife to be a one-shot kill weapon for some of the later missions.

Missing Name posted:

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. facebook page continues to deliver hilarity.

This reminds me, someone ought to make a mod that replaces bloodsucker models with Sidorovich's.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Thanks, that's solid info. I'll check it out but I am realising it's been so long since I played CoP last that I might also be good to just replay the base game, as I don't quite recall at what point the gauss rifle becomes available.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Disclaimer: I've only ever played SGM 2.2, so ignore this if you're planning on playing one of the earlier versions. The latter have less new content, but are more stable.

It adds a ton of content: guns, missions, areas, mutants, the works. The missions vary from perfectly doable to "ahahahaha gently caress you," which sets the standard for the rest of the mod. Quality of the missions tends to vary, but overall they could use some serious polishing. As far as the new mutants go, they range from kind of funny to "ahahahaha gently caress you," although do note that in some missions the "gently caress you" portion is more because you're getting mobbed by a thousand mutants at once. I don't think any of the mechanics from the base game are altered in any significant way. Really, the alterations are just for adding new content, and that new content tends to vary along a wide spectrum. I'd say you should pick it up if only to see whether you like it, but be aware that you're playing a mod held together by string, chewed gum, and scraps of duct tape. It's a fun experience if you don't get too caught up with the rough patches, which are many, and plan for each mission accordingly*.

*read: get the Gauss gun ASAP and never look back, also mod the knife to be a one-shot kill weapon for some of the later missions.

This reminds me, someone ought to make a mod that replaces bloodsucker models with Sidorovich's.

Is the insane sudden zombie invasion in Pripyat after you enter freeplay mode in 2.2?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

OregonDonor posted:

Is the insane sudden zombie invasion in Pripyat after you enter freeplay mode in 2.2?

Yep. Killing them all is an objective that the game keeps track of with a counter, and iirc the final tally is something like 300-400. With the toughest part naturally being right after you enter freeplay, when the game takes away all your gear and replaces it with bottom-shelf crap while surrounding you with a horde of zombies.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's part of the design notes for emissions I had planned.

http://pastebin.com/L82DgMig

Disturbing cloud patterns was right. I actually got a really cool texture artist to make a slight variation of the emission cloud patterns leading up to it that was pretty much a huge Skull looking down on the Zone if you looked at it right. A bitch to implement subtly but it was kind of neat when a few people I tested it with looked up and saw death itself staring down at them, kind of.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Disturbing cloud patterns was right. I actually got a really cool texture artist to make a slight variation of the emission cloud patterns leading up to it that was pretty much a huge Skull looking down on the Zone if you looked at it right. A bitch to implement subtly but it was kind of neat when a few people I tested it with looked up and saw death itself staring down at them, kind of.

I thoroughly love this.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ddraig posted:

This poo poo sounds baller as gently caress

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ddraig posted:

Please finish this :pray:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

holy poo poo, this sounds like hell

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Skull would only appear as part of a few variations of the clouds but the dude I had working for me was a wizard and managed to make the textures in such a way that when the red lightning was flashing it would pretty much highlight the vague shape into a blood red skull staring down at the Zone. If you were looking up at that point though it was probably already too late.

e: Here's a very early test of the cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9iMqi9tf24

This was before the cooler and scarier weather was put in, and it's not massively different from the OGSE emission which is what it is sort of using as a guide.

Another neat feature is that new paths open and close to levels based on emissions, so depending on sheer luck you may not even be able to get into the bar from the safe entrance and may have go all the way around and find an entrance in the Dark Valley.

Emissions only happen rarely in the normal story, it's only when you get the true ending that they ramp up in frequency.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 14, 2014

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I gave SGM 2.2 a shot but it wouldnt do anything but crash on clicking the new game button. im over it after hearing that its basically less coherent lost alpha.

super appreciate all the cool weather and emission/anomaly mods, but is there a mod that does something else with the story? I think all the maps are cool but id love to take a different path through them, do something that isnt finding the choppers or dealing with the brain scorcher again.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Bacon Hat posted:

that its basically less coherent lost alpha.

So, uh, Marked One, I know it has nothing to do with anything, but could you shut off that superweapon earthquake generator with nothing but a hologram that kills you if you shoot it and follows you around the lab killing you as you madly run about looking for the off button while being assaulted by a supermarket trolley.

It'll improve our relations with Freedom. Welp, seeya.

I really enjoyed lost alpha (except the mines, goddamn) but coherent it is not.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's a mod called 'In spite of death' or 'death defying' which is based on SGM which was basically Call of Pripyat retold. You were still looking for choppers but it was basically an entirely new way of doing it. You can find it on the ap-pro.ru forums. I tried translating it but it was a pain in the rear end as each dialog had about 50 different combos and certain characters spoke in a heavy dialect that doesn't lend itself well to non native speakers.

Here it is http://ap-pro.ru/forum/103-3805-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcI8LzH9RzQ

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 14, 2014

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I've started Lost Alpha and I recently rescued Fox. I want to upgrade my gear, but the descriptions of what the different upgrades do are hard to interpret. Like the text will say that a particular upgrade to the AK decreases recoil, but then below that it will say that it actually increases recoil by 57%, and finally when I install it to figure out what it actually does, it turns out that it really does reduce recoil. There are also upgrades that have no explanation of what they do, e.g. the durability increases or longer barrels. It makes it kind of hard to figure out what to buy. Is there a post or FAQ that explains what they do, or maybe a specific file in the install folder that has the raw data?

Also really liking Lost Alpha, it's reminded me of how much I love the gunplay in this series, at least in the early game before you can just win easily every time with headshots. It's really fun figuring out how to take out a squad of bandits with nothing but a TOZ-34 and a Makarov.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My experience with LA so far has been:

See that thing over there? The rock? That nearly vertical chunk of garbage? The crumbling building? Let's see if I can jump up there for shits an giggles! And then there's some sort of minor item up there. :toot: I only just got underground the Agroprom, as I said "gently caress it, explore the factory while the military is raiding it."

Also, did I mention the money is currently busted? If someone has ruble bills and you click on the item instead of "take all," you can net 500k easy. It goes from say 3645 to 1290 to 12414 to 9734 to 5632 and then eventually 60000, 50000, 40000, 30000, 20000, 10000 and then finally it vanishes.

Stubby .44 revolver:
:gibs: :ocelot::downs:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I re-downloaded LA with the third patch and some mod pack that I got somewhere and its pretty neat.

Already got an SV98 from the military guys who you first meet up with. Now to just actually play past the weird head shaking STREEEEELOOOOOK guy.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Whatever the SLAM pack did to lost alpha it was the best ive ever seen the xray engine. on max settings dx10.1 it instantly overheats my i7-950/12gb/HD5800. Someone mentioned that leaked source = pending community multicore/thread support and poo poo needs it.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Bacon Hat posted:

Whatever the SLAM pack did to lost alpha it was the best ive ever seen the xray engine. on max settings dx10.1 it instantly overheats my i7-950/12gb/HD5800. Someone mentioned that leaked source = pending community multicore/thread support and poo poo needs it.

There's your problem mate. No matter where the weakness in your system hides, Xray engine will find it and gently caress it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
In the end this game is graphics intensive.

It does need multicore support though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah I'm spending about 800 quid to make a rather nice system and I fully expect stalker to bring it to its knees somewhere. I'd be disappointed if it didn't.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadBimber posted:

There's your problem mate. No matter where the weakness in your system hides, Xray engine will find it and gently caress it.

Need to make this the thread title somehow

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I may have bought this PC to play Hitman Absolution, Planetside 2 and on and on. Thing is those are the only two to come to mind out of swaths of other games I had on my list and the former is only memorable because of how bad it was.

No, truly this PC's sole purpose is just so I can play stalker without 5 second long lag spikes every other moment. Not only that but my game shortcut folder is full of games that my old computer (bought in 03) could barely handle/not-handle.

Also has anyone had a nitpicky thing about the game that you end up spending a morning trying to fix just because you know the game so well.

I just spent my morning correcting the chaser-13's sound in Clear Sky because there's no "pump" sound after firing a shot. Splicing together three sounds just right so it's basically 1000x better than the original because I spent way too much time slaving over it.

Good thing is now I can actually use that shotgun. Small things like that can turn me off to my most favorite guns.

Besides what good is a pump shotgun if you can't get that satisfying clunky sound inbetween each shot?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Shoot, I bought my PC to play Stalker on too. How weird.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Monolith. posted:

Shoot, I bought my PC to play Stalker on too. How weird.

Same, more or less. I spent about $700 and it handles SoC and CS fairly well for the most part, LA gets about 50FPS+ at all times after some tweaking, but it really chokes on certain CoP mods. The stuttering is the worst part. Speaking of which, does an SSD make any noticeable difference for stuttering?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

An SSD? Yes. Oh god yes. When I lego-d my Stalker-tin 1½ y ago, it resulted in me just smiling whenever I play. The stutters are almost hard to notice in vanilla now :tipshat: Lost Alpha, not so much :stonkhat:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing Lost Alpha on a laptop with an Intel Core i3-3110M with Intel HD4000 graphics and a 500MB/s Intel SSD. I run the game using Wine 1.7.24. All the settings are on low of course, but I don't get the random freezes any more.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I pretty much upgraded so I could play Lost Alpha without a hitch. It's still slightly hit or miss, Bar still stutttters.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Measly Twerp posted:

I've been playing Lost Alpha on a laptop with an Intel Core i3-3110M with Intel HD4000 graphics and a 500MB/s Intel SSD. I run the game using Wine 1.7.24. All the settings are on low of course, but I don't get the random freezes any more.

Have you uh, have you tried any other Stalkers on this :v:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

MadBimber posted:

Bar still stutttters.

Worst loving offender right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I get a second or two stutter off a WD Blue regular hard ol hard drive. I might try putting LA on my ssd and see what happens but the frame rates are great and it doesn't really bother me. Hell, Stalker plays better than Vindictus on my computer.