Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Featured in this image is the Abbasid successor state and at least four ongoing rebellions with their own Empire-level leaders. That's not counting the Sinai and Nefoud which won temporarily won their bid for independence. I do have to give it to the Johfids, they didn't ragequit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

That picture reminds me: has anyone ever, ever had things happening in India affect what happens in Europe (or vice-versa) unless you're deliberately trying? I check out what's going on in the subcontinent every now and then to see who'd been painting the map the best, but it seems like it's all inconsequential.

The closest I've ever gotten was me and some Indian raja both fighting the Seljuks at the same time, but that's just because he decided to try to reconquer Afghanistan while Mr. Seljuk himself was busy trying to carve off a slice of the ERE.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven't even tried. Isn't there an artificial diplomacy range limit or something? It makes no historical sense for a French count to marry his daughter off to the raj of Sinhal or whatever but when has this game ever concerned itself with accuracy?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ninjahedgehog posted:

That picture reminds me: has anyone ever, ever had things happening in India affect what happens in Europe (or vice-versa) unless you're deliberately trying? I check out what's going on in the subcontinent every now and then to see who'd been painting the map the best, but it seems like it's all inconsequential.

The closest I've ever gotten was me and some Indian raja both fighting the Seljuks at the same time, but that's just because he decided to try to reconquer Afghanistan while Mr. Seljuk himself was busy trying to carve off a slice of the ERE.

No, there seems to be a complete split at the mountain range between Persia and Rajastan. At the earliest start date, there might be some clashes between the buddhist ruler of Afghanistan and the Saffarids or Khiva, but later there doesn't seem to be any action there at all.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2014/00074083-gamescom-charlemagne-s-invite-dans-crusader-kings-ii.htm

oh okay it's just the early medieval period again

I mean that's cool and all but I would have liked something different

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ThePutty posted:

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2014/00074083-gamescom-charlemagne-s-invite-dans-crusader-kings-ii.htm

Oh boy, can't wait for the batshit insane day 1 observer game I'm going to have. The TOG one I had was insane enough (massive Norse blob in Scandinavia Britain and northern Germany, massive Muslim blob in Iberia and France, massive heretic Venice blob in Italy and southern Germany, and massive Mongol blobs everywhere else), but now we're going to throw a massive (probably stable as poo poo) empire into it? That ought to be crazy.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Looks like they've also added in the season system from EU4. I wonder if they're going to do something about nomadic tribes and migrations? $20 seems steep for just Charlemagne.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

ThePutty posted:

:smith: No skeletons

:unsmigghh: We can stop the Karlings at the source

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paradox move us back to the collapse of Western Rome, I want to play as Attila the Hun.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

That's cool I guess, I mean I thought 600 years of CK2 was perfectly fine but alright. Not overly excited on it though.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, I hope there's more to it.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I think that is fake. Why would a new bookmark cost $20? Not only that, how can this even be "THE BIGGEST EXPANSION" for the game? Let's just wait for now.

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 14, 2014

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I hope they do something about the late game performance issues from accumulating characters. It became impossible to continue my 687 to the end date game 200 years before the end.

Supeerme posted:

I think that is fake. Why would a new bookmark cost $20?

Because you have to research, or invent compelling fictions, of the state of the entire world back then, plus write all the time-specific events, such as the beginning of the Viking age as shown in the screenshot.

Frankly, I'd pay $20 for some optimisations so the game doesn't run like a pig late-game.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 14, 2014

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Supeerme posted:

I think that is fake. Why would a new bookmark cost $20?

It's a pretty extensive fake if they've put a video together along with make a mod to show off all those cultures only to make a few screenshots.

And there's gotta be more than just an extra hundred years to justify $20, although if there isn't don't think I'll go out of my way to buy it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ThePutty posted:

Looks like they've also added in the season system from EU4. I wonder if they're going to do something about nomadic tribes and migrations? $20 seems steep for just Charlemagne.

I really don't get what they're going to do for this DLC. With the size they promised, it's either going to have a whole bunch of unrelated poo poo (which wouldn't really fit, DLCs haven't come with unrelated poo poo before) or they're going to really flesh out this early start, which is the worst case of priorities I've ever seen (hey guys, how about that HRE? You know, that big thing right there in the middle, that thing that still ends up as an amorphous blob with Absolute CA every single time unless the player fucks it intentionally, which is completely ahistorical? Maybe do something with that some day? Or maybe do something with crusades, which are still quite barren of actual content despite being in the title of the game?). Guess I'll have to wait and see for the official reveal to get some more info.

Supeerme posted:

I think that is fake. Why would a new bookmark cost $20? Not only that, how can this even be "THE BIGGEST EXPANSION" for the game? Let's just wait for now.

According to somebody on the Paradox forums, this isn't the first time that that website has spoiled a Paradox reveal, so it seems legit.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 14, 2014

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

TheMcD posted:

According to somebody on the Paradox forums, this isn't the first time that that website has spoiled a Paradox reveal, so it seems legit.

That's a pretty scummy thing to do if it's true, I'm surprised that Paradox even let them do this.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Maybe it has the features that turns the HRE into a barely-functional confederation of sort-of-vassals.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

Maybe it has the features that turns the HRE into a barely-functional confederation of sort-of-vassals.

That would be kind of neat, if this DLC does for the HRE what LoR did for Byzantium that would be nice.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Hmmm, would have liked to start a little closer to the collapse of the western roman empire than 769.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
For $20 there needs to be a lot more than a bookmark.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Knowing how quickly the game gets boring after the first 200 years or so, an even longer timeline might not be the most exciting thing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, count me in the not-very-excited group. If at least they would set the bookmark a few centuries earlier so we could play Muhammad... And yeah, by starting at 867, the game is already pretty boring by 1200 or so, and barely playable on my computer.

But I still hope there is more to it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheMcD posted:

I really don't get what they're going to do for this DLC. With the size they promised, it's either going to have a whole bunch of unrelated poo poo (which wouldn't really fit, DLCs haven't come with unrelated poo poo before) or they're going to really flesh out this early start, which is the worst case of priorities I've ever seen (hey guys, how about that HRE? You know, that big thing right there in the middle, that thing that still ends up as an amorphous blob with Absolute CA every single time unless the player fucks it intentionally, which is completely ahistorical? Maybe do something with that some day? Or maybe do something with crusades, which are still quite barren of actual content despite being in the title of the game?). Guess I'll have to wait and see for the official reveal to get some more info.

Except retinues for Legacy of Rome of course.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm skeptical, the Art of War expansion for EU4 says it focuses on the Thirty Years War, and I can't think of a single other modern Paradox expansion to focus solely on a 'single event' apart from Napoleon's Ambition, which also came with an extended playing time.

For a $20 price tag, if it is true, it better come with a metric ton of content besides the bookmark.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
We don't know anything about this DLC except that it contains a bookmark. Even that information is from a slightly sketchy sight.

Here's a crazy idea, maybe they added a new bookmark and added a bunch of new features.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

Here's a crazy idea, maybe they added a new bookmark and added a bunch of new features.

It's kind of fun running around like a headless chicken screaming that the sky is falling though. I am looking forward to the announcement tonight, curious to see the details of what it ends up being.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

TheMcD posted:

(hey guys, how about that HRE? You know, that big thing right there in the middle, that thing that still ends up as an amorphous blob with Absolute CA every single time unless the player fucks it intentionally, which is completely ahistorical? Maybe do something with that some day?

Well if it starts in 769 that means playable Charlemagne, so more Frankish empire/HRE stuff would be likely.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Maybe some stuff about being blessed by the Pope. Put the Holy in the Roman Empire.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

They rolled that planned East Africa mini expansion into Rajas of India. There's bound to be more than just a new bookmark.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm really hoping it ends up being playable theocracies, including holy orders. Even better would be if it also allowed playing as a Mercenary Band as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Knowing how quickly the game gets boring after the first 200 years or so, an even longer timeline might not be the most exciting thing.

The Old Gods years are pretty interesting, and then it remains interesting for another 2 or 300 years after you get into the original timeframe. That said, people are probably right in that there's no way it's just that.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The worst part about a new expansion is not being able to play the game due to an extreme amount of bugs. It took almost 3½ months after Rajas of India until the fixed the most gamebreaking bugs.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Are there gonna be any new hordes for this start date, like the Seljuks for the Old Gods? I don't know my early medieval history.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TaurusTorus posted:

Are there gonna be any new hordes for this start date, like the Seljuks for the Old Gods? I don't know my early medieval history.

Depending on how they hard code Charlamenge, the French could become the end boss once again, though this time in the early game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wonder if they're gonna add some sort of colonisation mechanisms if they move the start date even further back. If I recall correctly, Iceland wasn't settled until well into the 9th century.
They probably need to do something about the tech system as well.

Edit: I'm dumb :downs:

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 14, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

I wonder if they're gonna add some sort of colonisation mechanisms if they move the start date even further back. If I recall correctly, Iceland wasn't settled until well into the 900th century.

Finally, a paradox space 4X!

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

I wonder if they're gonna add some sort of colonisation mechanisms if they move the start date even further back. If I recall correctly, Iceland wasn't settled until well into the 9th century.
They probably need to do something about the tech system as well.

Edit: I'm dumb :downs:

There have actually been ancient 3d century roman coins found in iceland, but they might have been brought there by vikings in later centuries.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

kanonvandekempen posted:

There have actually been ancient 3d century roman coins found in iceland, but they might have been brought there by vikings in later centuries.

Ah yes, the 2d centuries were some very flat times.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There was snow in the trailer, so if they add seasons and seasonal effects this could indeed be a massive expansion. Not to mention getting the history for everything from Iceland to Sri Lanka right. A few new mechanics for the HRE don't seem too unlikely, considering that it's about Charlemagne. And there are probably a host of other mechanics that they can introduce with the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The GoT folks should be really happy if the winter cycle is moddable.

• Locked thread