Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Well the thing I hate about football is there's too many testicles

Eunuchball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've always thought there were too few.

Especially considering the lack of balls coaches have on 4th downs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Its Miller Time posted:

I was musing about today about how bad football commentary is. Can you name a single commentator or writer who actually discusses the strategy that goes on in a a game? What schemes the teams generally run, how they appear to have schemed for the game, how they countered each other and adjusted within the game, what plays they ran, why they ran them, how things are evolving or changed. FO gets there with some play-by-play analysis but it's exceedingly rare for how large the sport is.

Jaws of all people used to be pretty good about this type of thing when he was new to TV, not in the detail you're talking about but they'd give him a full segment now and then on whatever NFL show and he'd break down a bunch of stuff pretty nicely. Now he's either willingly bought into the hot take bullshit or just gets used for it like the Kaepernick thing which is kind of sad in either case.

Smart football can be good, but most of their best stuff is just explaining general schemes/strategy or history of the game things instead of current analysis.

I'd imagine part of the problem is watching film constantly to note tendencies and looking for any possible advantage for one team over another is really loving boring unless you absolutely love the game. And if you love it that much and are any good at it you might as well try to catch on as a quality control coach or something. Almost everyone on TV is an old coach or player earning a paycheck who couldn't be bothered with that sort of thing, or if they are willing to do it they're weirdos like Gruden or trying to make a splash with ridiculous poo poo like Mayock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MonsterWalk posted:

That Bro_Pair article is fantastic.

Before we crown Omar as the worst, let's remember the time PK stole a ball from a child. Then wrote about it with absolutely no loving shame.

In the past year or two I've actually started hating Rick Reilly more than Peter King. Which is saying a lot, because I have literally had dreams in which I lectured somebody on how bad Peter King is.

My dreams are really boring.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Henchman of Santa posted:

Our man Peter with the most awkward tweet regarding Robin Williams:
https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/498982297757306882

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I actually retweeted that thinking it was real (I had just woken up).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

This is legitimately one of the funniest things I have ever read. Where is it from?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Fake Bo Pelini posted it; not sure if it's his work or not

https://twitter.com/FauxPelini/status/499036848593727488

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Its Miller Time posted:

I was musing about today about how bad football commentary is. Can you name a single commentator or writer who actually discusses the strategy that goes on in a a game? What schemes the teams generally run, how they appear to have schemed for the game, how they countered each other and adjusted within the game, what plays they ran, why they ran them, how things are evolving or changed. FO gets there with some play-by-play analysis but it's exceedingly rare for how large the sport is.

The vast majority of people who watch football do not care at all about that stuff; mostly because they haven't been introduced to it. Of course, no one is willing to take the first steps in educating people about it, which is understandable when you think about just how many people watch football games in an environment where they can't even hear the announcers, let alone parse and understand what they are saying (sports bars, barbecues with friends, etc.).

It's much easier to just stick with the boring cliche crap, like how guys just look like winners.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Most people just want to watch some football and drink some beer. I have a friend who loves boxing, knows every fighter in the top 20 of every weight class, including their back stories, etc. and tries to tell me every little tiny thing about what is going on. I don't care, I just want to drink some beers and watch a couple of boxing matches. Most people treat football as the same. They don't care what it means to have gap discipline, what a cover 0 is, or any of that poo poo. They want to watch grown men do make crazy catches and tackles.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Chichevache posted:

I'm pretty sure I read about this before, but can you link it?

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2009/07/fun-with-klassic-peter-king-the-foul-ball-story.html

It's great because it's not Peter King ripping a ball out of a child's hand but pathetically lying to a child so PK can get the ball he wants.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The_Hat posted:

The vast majority of people who watch football do not care at all about that stuff; mostly because they haven't been introduced to it. Of course, no one is willing to take the first steps in educating people about it, which is understandable when you think about just how many people watch football games in an environment where they can't even hear the announcers, let alone parse and understand what they are saying (sports bars, barbecues with friends, etc.).

It's much easier to just stick with the boring cliche crap, like how guys just look like winners.

Exactly though, the people who don't care about the details will zone out the commentary or continue to ignore it outright, and I won't have to mute my TV because of how banal the commentary is from the Fox Sports B-Team

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There's probably a quality YouTube or podcast series for someone who can break down strategies and ineptitude in a funny yet informative way. Include grilling and drinking, have it come out on Tuesday or Wednesday, throw in some game history or trends, you're golden.

One segment on a blowout win where one teams scheme demolishes the opponent, a segment on coaches who refused to adjust, a segment on good coaching adjustments, a segment on the worst game plans or performances, and a segment for mail.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Its Miller Time posted:

Lemme tell you a little story 'bout a man named Gruden.

And a spider, a banana, the letter Y and his twin.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chilichimp posted:

Lemme tell you a little story 'bout a man named Gruden.

And a spider, a banana, the letter Y and his twin.

I forget who it was but someone here once said Gruden loves football more than anyone has ever loved anything and it remains hilariously true.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
There isn't anyone that exclusively discusses matchups and strategy, but during the game Gruden, Collinsworth, Maycock and Brian Billick all absolutely get into analysis like that.

quote:

Jaws of all people used to be pretty good about this type of thing when he was new to TV, not in the detail you're talking about but they'd give him a full segment now and then on whatever NFL show and he'd break down a bunch of stuff pretty nicely. Now he's either willingly bought into the hot take bullshit or just gets used for it like the Kaepernick thing which is kind of sad in either case.

They used to have an entire show called NFL Matchup that was specifically about Ron Jaworski and Merill Hoge breaking down game film and discussing it. It got marginalized and now I don't even know if it's on the air. Jaws and Hoge literally don't even have imdb credits for it. It's like the show never existed.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Badfinger posted:

They used to have an entire show called NFL Matchup that was specifically about Ron Jaworski and Merill Hoge breaking down game film and discussing it. It got marginalized and now I don't even know if it's on the air. Jaws and Hoge literally don't even have imdb credits for it. It's like the show never existed.
It's still on, it's just that it airs at 3am EST

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's not really another thread that's football specific for this sort of thing, so I'll use this one.

I got watching Ken Burns Baseball on Netflix and found it very entertaining until it got into the late 40s and just turned into stuff I already knew about the sport. I really enjoyed the early days and came to be better understand how much more of a cultural force baseball was (I'd definitely underestimated it as "most popular sport" not "BASEBALL IS LIFE"). Is there any sort of football type documentary out there that covers the first, say, hundred years of the sport?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The TFF Rookie thread or even just NFL N/V would probably be more useful.

OBR
Apr 9, 2009
I've been wondering about the lack of in-depth reporting as well. I'm from Europe and only started following football about five years ago, but still i don't get how even all kinds of NFL shows, podcasts etc. can reduce the game to QB vs. QB just about 99% of the time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OBR posted:

I've been wondering about the lack of in-depth reporting as well. I'm from Europe and only started following football about five years ago, but still i don't get how even all kinds of NFL shows, podcasts etc. can reduce the game to QB vs. QB just about 99% of the time.

NFL teams don't talk to reporters and when they do it's coach speak and platitudes. If they do actually talk to "a reporter", it's a local guy, so your best source for team news is probably your local newspaper. The national sports media gets almost nothing, and what they do have is basically fed to them by the local guys, or recycled from their twitter feeds.

I'll give ESPN credit, they manage to talk for hours based on the contents of a handful of tweets... the content of those hours is poo poo and unwatchable, but they're doing it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Peter King posted:

We walked into the lobby of the Holiday Inn Express, with the Tuesday USA Today and Cleveland Plain Dealer on the counter for those checking out. One problem. “We don’t have any reservations for you,” the front-desk gal said. We checked with our travel agent. Seems the reservation was made for Aug. 18, not Aug. 11. Next Monday. With no rooms available, our intrepid tour manager, Andy DeGory, got on the phone and found us rooms at the nearby Howard Johnson’s Motor Lodge.

Now it was 5:15, and we made it into the lobby of HoJo’s. Keys got dispensed, and we elevatored up to the third floor of the rather shabby place. Walking down the hall to our rooms, “rather shabby” got worse. The carpet on the floor stopped. The floor for the last half of the hallway was just cement. The place smelled. Just get in the room, just get in the room … How bad could sleeping be for 90 minutes? I thought. I put the key in my door and opened it.

The room looked trashed—either under construction or trashed. It was dark; I couldn’t exactly tell. And this voice from inside, weakly, waffled: “I’m … in … here.” Like some dying ghost.

Whoa! I closed the door. I went to the lobby.

“Might be a good idea when you give me the key to a room that there won’t be another person in it,” I said.

“W-w-w-what?” the front-deskman said.

I explained, and he said it must be a worker in the place who’d decided to sleep in an available room when it wasn’t occupied. As if I cared.

“Can you just give me a room? Any room without a person in it?” I said.

He did, and I went to another room at the Howard Johnson Motor Lodge, so happy to be at the Howard Johnson Motor Lodge, and praying that no living thing would be in the room.

There wasn’t. No idea if that included the bed bugs, but at least there wasn’t a living or comatose or dead person in the room, and that was something to be thankful for.

So I wouldn’t give the Howard Johnson Motor Lodge on the southern fringe of Cleveland a very high recommendation this morning.

:ghost:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The most harrowing night of pk's life..........

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Gonna take at least two craft beers to wash THAT nightmare away..............*shivers*

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Don Kreptowski was tired. Just like he was always tired on Tuesday mornings, when he worked the night shift at Hojo then straight into driving for Lou, loving loudmouth Lou his wife's cousin who was a hell of a plumber but had lost his license after that second DUI which was probably Lou's 200,000th instance of driving under the influence but was only the second time Parma police had gotten off their asses to catch him. poo poo, it meant a job for Don, $60 a day tax-free and Lou buying gas and dinner, which conveniently provided the briefest break from the man's goddamn motormouth. All the Marinellos talked, but Lou was the king.
He was talking now, of course, blending in the vaguest of directions to the next plumbing job--go up Snow Road, as if Snow Road only had one hill to go up--while swiping around on his smartphone and relating to Don the ins and outs of every single post on Facebook. This is what Lou did, he narrated Facebook from the passenger seat.
Then Lou was silent. His eyes got wide.
"Holy poo poo, Don. You're on the Internet."
"What?"
"You're in this football story. You guys rented a room to some reporter guy. You didn't tell me you had NFL guys at the hotel! You guys get NFL guys at the hotel? Says right here, look at this"--and he holds out the phone at 40 miles an hour, big fuckin surprise you lost your license, Lou--"This fuckin guy came into your hotel, look at this! He says you gave him a poo poo room! Says somebody was sleepin in his fuckin room, Don! You gave Peter King a poo poo room?"
"Who the gently caress--"
"He says here 'He said it must be a worker in the place who’d decided to sleep in an available room when it wasn't occupied. As if I cared.' As if I cared, he says!" Lou was laughing.
Don's fingers tightened on the wheel. He remembered that now. Fat Boston rear end in a top hat with a suitcase on wheels and a pinched-up face glued onto a loving flesh balloon of a head. The rear end in a top hat who thought an apology was an opportunity to increase his sneer and who smelled like a perpetual fart. "As if I cared, my rear end," Don thought. Of course that fat gently caress didn't care. He looked like the kind of guy who wouldn't care about anything that wouldn't fit down his gullet.
"gently caress that guy," Don said. "Ungrateful gently caress."
Lou was still laughing, telling him the Howard Johnson on the "southern fringe of Cleveland" was getting poo poo on in Sports Illustrated. No poo poo, fat Boston gently caress. This ain't the Hotel Monaco. How many people do you think are renting rooms at the Howard Johnson on the southern fringe of Cleveland in the first place? Don knew he'd get a phone call soon enough--or text message, more likely, since Jason, that pimply 23-year-old with a degree in Hospitality Management, didn't have the spine for a phone call. He squeezed the wheel harder. Better get used to Facebook narration, he thought. This just became a full-time gig.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

football fuckerman posted:

Don Kreptowski was tired. Just like he was always tired on Tuesday mornings, when he worked the night shift at Hojo then straight into driving for Lou, loving loudmouth Lou his wife's cousin who was a hell of a plumber but had lost his license after that second DUI which was probably Lou's 200,000th instance of driving under the influence but was only the second time Parma police had gotten off their asses to catch him. poo poo, it meant a job for Don, $60 a day tax-free and Lou buying gas and dinner, which conveniently provided the briefest break from the man's goddamn motormouth. All the Marinellos talked, but Lou was the king.
He was talking now, of course, blending in the vaguest of directions to the next plumbing job--go up Snow Road, as if Snow Road only had one hill to go up--while swiping around on his smartphone and relating to Don the ins and outs of every single post on Facebook. This is what Lou did, he narrated Facebook from the passenger seat.
Then Lou was silent. His eyes got wide.
"Holy poo poo, Don. You're on the Internet."
"What?"
"You're in this football story. You guys rented a room to some reporter guy. You didn't tell me you had NFL guys at the hotel! You guys get NFL guys at the hotel? Says right here, look at this"--and he holds out the phone at 40 miles an hour, big fuckin surprise you lost your license, Lou--"This fuckin guy came into your hotel, look at this! He says you gave him a poo poo room! Says somebody was sleepin in his fuckin room, Don! You gave Peter King a poo poo room?"
"Who the gently caress--"
"He says here 'He said it must be a worker in the place who’d decided to sleep in an available room when it wasn't occupied. As if I cared.' As if I cared, he says!" Lou was laughing.
Don's fingers tightened on the wheel. He remembered that now. Fat Boston rear end in a top hat with a suitcase on wheels and a pinched-up face glued onto a loving flesh balloon of a head. The rear end in a top hat who thought an apology was an opportunity to increase his sneer and who smelled like a perpetual fart. "As if I cared, my rear end," Don thought. Of course that fat gently caress didn't care. He looked like the kind of guy who wouldn't care about anything that wouldn't fit down his gullet.
"gently caress that guy," Don said. "Ungrateful gently caress."
Lou was still laughing, telling him the Howard Johnson on the "southern fringe of Cleveland" was getting poo poo on in Sports Illustrated. No poo poo, fat Boston gently caress. This ain't the Hotel Monaco. How many people do you think are renting rooms at the Howard Johnson on the southern fringe of Cleveland in the first place? Don knew he'd get a phone call soon enough--or text message, more likely, since Jason, that pimply 23-year-old with a degree in Hospitality Management, didn't have the spine for a phone call. He squeezed the wheel harder. Better get used to Facebook narration, he thought. This just became a full-time gig.

:drat:

Seriously though, shouldn't he be making GBS threads on his travel agency who forced him into a poo poo motel instead of whatever poor schlub was at the counter that night? Oh wait but he has to keep his relationship with that travel agency and he knows all he'll need to know about that from working with Goodell.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Peter King really needs a friend or two he grew up with who is comfortable busting his balls. Obviously no one professionally will do it since somehow his opinion has enough power to make or break careers, but jesus, does he not have a friend from middle school who will bust on him?

(He probably doesn't have any friends to be honest)

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I would absolutely read a full book of Peter King's road trip across the US, being forced to stay in 1 1/2 star motels and eat at small town diners the whole way, not a Starbucks in sight. It'd be like some 1880's British aristocrat explorer's journal,My Time Among the Poors.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

What is the target audience for Peter King's articles? It's like he's writing only for people who are exactly him

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
"Middle Class" white baby boomers. So,...yeah.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

That's Dan Shaughnessy. Or is that white Bostonian Baby Boomers?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@SI_PeterKing 7m
What a great city Denver is.

@SI_PeterKing 2m
DENVER-As Peyton Manning told me today with a wink, "Pretty good place for pizza, know what I mean?"

Did Peter King just hire a prostitute?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think he's getting high for the first time. I'd have to imagine that prostitutes lost their novelty for King a long time ago.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Ehud posted:

@SI_PeterKing 7m
What a great city Denver is.

@SI_PeterKing 2m
DENVER-As Peyton Manning told me today with a wink, "Pretty good place for pizza, know what I mean?"

Did Peter King just hire a prostitute?

Puff puff give Peter, keep it moving big boy. Aw gently caress he's tweeting again.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really hope he tweets something embarrassing and it gets recorded multiple times.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Jesus, King on weed would be unbearable. Ninety minute dissertation on how the Starbucks employees treat him differently because he's a celebrity, but maybe they should because he's a celebrity

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
@SI_PeterKing
Manziel's reaction shows a guy who can be messed with, a rabbit-eared player. Not a good trait for a starting NFL quarterback.

Awww poor Peter must have gotten blown off by a rookie QB at training camp again.

PS I have no idea what rabbit eared means in this context.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think it means he has good hearing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
My one NFL dream is that one day Peter King will have a meltdown on Twitter. It'd be over something stupid too like how you can't tell him not to wear socks with sandals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ribsauce posted:

@SI_PeterKing
Manziel's reaction shows a guy who can be messed with, a rabbit-eared player. Not a good trait for a starting NFL quarterback.

Awww poor Peter must have gotten blown off by a rookie QB at training camp again.

PS I have no idea what rabbit eared means in this context.

I don't know but it sounds racist

• Locked thread