Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress it, just have every last book of an event start with Cap picking up the hammer and yelling Avengers Assemble.

Only if the first book of every event has Cap's shield breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

PaybackJack posted:

I think we can deduce some of what makes Thor unworthy with some assumptions.

First, is that secret is not inherently capable of making Thor unworthy. That is to say that only when the secret is revealed to Thor, is he now unworthy.

Second, because the secret makes him unworthy, it can reflect anything he's done to this point that he's known about, or anything else about him that he is aware of, otherwise he would have already been unworthy.

Third, because the secret itself makes him unworthy, and we've seen other people who thought they were worthy attempt to use the hammer, Thor still believes himself worthy, but the hammer now doesn't. This is an interesting point because this means that:

The only reason Thor is unworthy of the hammer is because he now knows the secret; the existence of the secret had no bearing on him wielding the hammer prior to this point.

That's going to be a tricky secret to write, I'm curious what it will be.

See I don't think it works like that. Just because you think you are worthy doesn't let you wield the hammer, and while I think an argument could be made that he doesn't think he's worthy now that doesn't coincide with him trying to pick up the hammer. If he suddenly realized "I'm not worthy" he wouldn't start trying to pick up the hammer.

The secret is told to him, the hammer no longer follows him, and he goes to get it back and is now realizing "I'm not worthy because of what Fury said."

Nah you see, I think this is a psychosomatic thing. I understand where you are coming from as a lot of bad, cocky assholes have tried to wield Mjolnor and failed but I think it was because deep down they knew they weren't worthy. And or Mjolnor sort of reads a persons mind/past to determine it.
For example, Dr. Doom well and truly believed he was going to wield Mjolnor in the run up to Civil War, but as soon as he tried and failed to pick it up he was pretty much all "I really thought I could do it."
When it comes to Thor, during Dan Jurgen's "The Reigning" Thor loses the ability to wield Mjolnor after seemingly killing Jake Olson. And Mjolnor is left in New York, until his Son Magni starts rocking it.
But at the end of the story when he has to fight Super Mega Destroyer, he realizes the reason he stopped being able to wield Mjolnor was he stopped believing he was worthy based on what he had been doing.

So I think belief is a huge part of it. Thor currently believes he is unworthy and will have to undertake some quest to purge that belief.

As for what the whisper was, I'm sure it was "Sif only SAID she was 18."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PaybackJack posted:

The only reason Thor is unworthy of the hammer is because he now knows the secret; the existence of the secret had no bearing on him wielding the hammer prior to this point.

That's going to be a tricky secret to write, I'm curious what it will be.

I'm still of the mind that Fem-Thor is going to be Jane Foster, after Thor magics her better against her will.

I'm picturing the secret whispered will be something along the lines of "She was at peace with dying, and you took that away from her."

That's a pretty dishonorable thing to do, if you ask me. Sure, at the time, Thor wouldn't think anything of it. He gets to swoop in and be the hero, save her life, feel better about himself, etc. He's still worthy to wield the hammer.

But it's not what she wants. She even told him to his face that she's OK with dying. Now that he knows that what he did wasn't heroic at all, he's unworthy. He probably knew deep down that it was wrong, but didn't own up to it until it was thrown in his face.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

I'm still of the mind that Fem-Thor is going to be Jane Foster, after Thor magics her better against her will.

I'm picturing the secret whispered will be something along the lines of "She was at peace with dying, and you took that away from her."

That's a pretty dishonorable thing to do, if you ask me.

You know what, something like that would be kinda fitting. Noble act but against someone's wishes and self.

How many times we gonna replace or kill Thor?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jane has told Thor that like 4 times though. Why would it affect him more from Fury?

Making the main love interest character the female version of the hero is the most cliche way to go too.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Aphrodite posted:

Jane has told Thor that like 4 times though. Why would it affect him more from Fury?

Making the main love interest character the female version of the hero is the most cliche way to go too.

I'm Thordis will all work out in the end.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

CzarChasm posted:

That's better than the "We need you to be a chick for a few issues so we can appeal to the social media crowd for a few months and justify the budget numbers to Disney"-whisper I was guessing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Had to look more into the page but I think I figured it out. I found this hidden in the digital version.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Had to look more into the page but I think I figured it out. I found this hidden in the digital version.

I thought it was tiny footprints on the brain.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The tagline should now be WHAT DID HE SAY? rather than WHAT DID HE SEE?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

The tagline should now be WHAT DID HE SAY? rather than WHAT DID HE SEE?

Followed by WHAT DID HE HEAR? and then WHAT DID HE FEEL? and finally WHAT DID HE SMELL? starring Daredevil.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Followed by WHAT DID HE HEAR?

If it is Hawkeye is nothing.

Codependent Poster posted:

WHAT DID HE SMELL? starring Daredevil.

A pile of dead loved ones

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

A pile of dead loved ones

Bra-VO.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Man, I remember loving the poo poo out of Identity Crisis. I mean, I was 14, so I was pretty much DC's target audience at the time.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

It would be funny if the secret got out and goons everywhere started weaponizing it whenever Thor comes knocking. Just dudes with megaphones yelling "You eat your own boogers" at Thor when he's mid flight causing him to drop to the ground.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
"Thor 2 was the most boring Marvel movie!"

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Beanpants posted:

It would be funny if the secret got out and goons everywhere started weaponizing it whenever Thor comes knocking. Just dudes with megaphones yelling "You eat your own boogers" at Thor when he's mid flight causing him to drop to the ground.

Nah, that would ruin the character. I like to think that Aaron's a better writer than that. It needs to be something situational, something that only applies to the moment at hand.

That's why my money's on, simply: "Your fly is open."

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I haven't been following this series closely, but as I understand, the heroes are fighting over Uatu's eyes, which contain all his knowledge. Why would his eyes contain his knowledge? Wouldn't that all be in his brain?

Beanpants posted:

A horrible secret loses such power once everybody knows it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I haven't been following this series closely, but as I understand, the heroes are fighting over Uatu's eyes, which contain all his knowledge. Why would his eyes contain his knowledge? Wouldn't that all be in his brain?

Cuz he saw it, idiot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You know how Wild, Wild West scientifically proved your eyes keep a static image of the last thing you saw?

Well look at how big his drat eyes are.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Unmature posted:

Cuz he saw it, idiot.
But it's kinda like taking a camera's lens rather than the SD card.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

He is an alien called a watcher, of course its in his eyes. (Its just a comic book and you really should just relax. La la la)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

But it's kinda like taking a camera's lens rather than the SD card.

....beeeeeecause it doesn't need a logical tactical realistic notion of a brain when the drat dudes name is Watcher and his eyes are symbolically represent in the story and whatnot? I supposed I shouldn't be shocked this question was asked. Literary concept?

"Why doesn't Spiderman webs come out of his anus?" You know what, let's explore that. It must be asked. Then let's segue into his radioactive fluids and how it affects Mary Jane.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Keep in mind that for all we know, Watcher's store their memories or what they've seen (including sounds) in their eyes.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Watchers are so evolved they don't have brains, just a nervous system spread around their entire body.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

You know how Wild, Wild West scientifically proved your eyes keep a static image of the last thing you saw?

Well look at how big his drat eyes are.

Old Fury riding a giant mechanical alien spider would be pretty awesome.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If they didn't take his eyes, how the gently caress would I get my awesome Watcher eye ball bouncy balls???

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

RevKrule posted:

If they didn't take his eyes, how the gently caress would I get my awesome Watcher eye ball bouncy balls???

Sure, but just imagine how great your life would be life with a Watcher bouncy brain.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Shouldn't his eyes be seriously decomposed by now? It's been a while since he was killed. I'm surprised none of the characters in the book have remarked about them smelling funny. At what point will tissue decay destroy the information that is (somehow) encoded in his eyes?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 15, 2014

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Shouldn't his eyes be seriously decomposed by now? It's been a while since he was killed. I'm surprised none of the characters in the book have remarked about them smelling funny. At what point will tissue destroy the information that (somehow) encoded in his eyes?

They decompose at a rate roughly equal to holy poo poo shut up

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I was suprised to see that Uatu's eyes have an iris and pupil. Usually when we see him they are just blank. Usually solid white, although in Original Sin #0 they are pitch black. What gives?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I honestly think it has something to do with Toruun his and Sif's kid. This past week's Avengers World had those kid Avengers from Bendis's Avengers run. And to me in my mind she's the obvious new Thor.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

I was suprised to see that Uatu's eyes have an iris and pupil. Usually when we see him they are just blank. Usually solid white, although in Original Sin #0 they are pitch black. What gives?

And what's up with Hulks pants? UNSTABLE molecules? Nick need his poo poo focused on that now.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Why are we assuming the Watcher's physiology is anything like a human's.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Unmature posted:

Why are we assuming the Watcher's physiology is anything like a human's.

They really aren't. Even by the story, Watcher is shot in the brain, has an eye gouged out and he still is alive.

And way back during Quasar, Watchers all started dropping dead as a result of the idea spreading among their race that the act of Watching constitutes an interference.
And they just died.

Then when Quasar argued that even dying like that was interfering and that they may as well live, all the Dead Watchers just willed themselves back to life. As that's a thing they can do.

Point is, Watcher's physiology is truly beyond mortal beings understanding.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If the Watcher comes back to life (of course he will) but he doesn't get his eyes back, will he forget everything he knew?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yes.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Jiro posted:

I honestly think it has something to do with Toruun his and Sif's kid.

"How's your daughter doing?"

Unworthy Thor, deadbeat dad.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Baron Bifford posted:

If the Watcher comes back to life (of course he will) but he doesn't get his eyes back, will he forget everything he knew?

Give him just one eye back. That way he only remembers half of what he ever saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

Give him just one eye back. That way he only remembers half of what he ever saw.

"There is a great danger out there in the universe and we must turn it's oven off! But I don't remember where the keys were."

"Hey honey I'm home...Tigra, right? And our kid is...what is gender again?"

I owe you $2.50 and a nullifier? I don't know anything about it, Thor. No really. I'm not a douche."

"I remember watching you Spider Woman...hm? For what reason? Uuuuhhh...Oh this looks bad."

Gatts fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 15, 2014

• Locked thread