Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The kintaro shows as having moved five hexes on the map. I think PTN hasn't updated the move mods.

In general look at the enemy's move on the map as the point of truth for their move mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

C3i helps negate range penalties but you still need line of sight to actually shoot things. We've got a wall of death barreling down on that Coyote and half the team is cut off from him by woods. Not gonna lie, the next two turns are probably going to hurt very hard unless some people shift their priorities back from "bag the loot" to "shoot the cops."

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ah. Well either way, thats 7s and 8s instead of 6s and 7s. Still pretty good odds.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

C3i helps negate range penalties but you still need line of sight to actually shoot things. We've got a wall of death barreling down on that Coyote and half the team is cut off from him by woods. Not gonna lie, the next two turns are probably going to hurt very hard unless some people shift their priorities back from "bag the loot" to "shoot the cops."

This. You have to survive the assault wave before you start moving bags.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

This. You have to survive the assault wave before you start moving bags.

"Guys. The thermal drill lance" takes on new and horrifying meaning in Battletech!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Great Beer posted:

Kintaro (Mk. ?) – Stationary +0

v0v

Fixed

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

drat. In that case we'd be better off with everyone hammering the Cyclops. Except the coyote who would ideally be out of its view. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Shoeless posted:

As for dual AC/20 JJ Assaults, what mech is that? A modified Emperor or Fafnir? I mean you're right if you get close it's scary, issue is that you're probably only jumping 3. I definitely agree with having a dedicated troubleshooter lance of JJ mechs for letting you get firepower where you need it when you need it.

Fafnir FNR-6U. I had a urban match in megamek against another goon (Gwaihir I think?) a few months ago where one of us randomed two of the things. It didn't end well.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
OK, I can go either way:

1. I can follow my original plan and unload on the wolverine with the sentinel and shadowhawk. I will provably be doing a lot more absolute damage this way.

2. I can go to 2013 and snipe at the blob with my ERLLs. My TNs are going to be utterly poo poo though.

3. I can go after the wolverine first before turning around and supporting the group of heavies with long range fire next turn - I am thinking I move to shoot the wolverine before moving back to my current hex.

Thoughts?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

2. I can go to 2013 and snipe at the blob with my ERLLs. My TNs are going to be utterly poo poo though.

You'll be shooting at the cyclops on 6 if you run to 1819. (3 (base) + 2 (ran) + 0 (range thanks to c3i) + 1 (target movement)) and 7s for the mlas assuming the crusader gets to 1426. He'll be at 5 range. You can improve this if you just reverse past the trees but you'd be sacrificing one of your move mod points. But anyone shooting back would still have an easier time hitting me since I'll be closer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I want to congratulate PTN for creating a tactical map that I actually understand for the first time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

You'll be shooting at the cyclops on 6 if you run to 1819. (3 (base) + 2 (ran) + 0 (range thanks to c3i) + 1 (target movement)) and 7s for the mlas assuming the crusader gets to 1426. He'll be at 5 range. You can improve this if you just reverse past the trees but you'd be sacrificing one of your move mod points. But anyone shooting back would still have an easier time hitting me since I'll be closer.

Ah... forgot about the c3i. I can fire 3MLs and 1LL to clear my overheat. Will be happy to support you then.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Ah... forgot about the c3i. I can fire 3MLs and 1LL to clear my overheat. Will be happy to support you then.

Awesome. We might actually pull this off then.

How about it, Cloud Potato? Ready to take some risks and help us murder a cyclops?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

GenericServices posted:

The EMP-6S Emperor variant has JJs, a pair of LB-20Xs, and enough ammo to use 'em well. Lyran model, naturally. Only 2065 BV, too, definitely a fun toy in constricted terrain.

Ah, I figured it was an Emperor but I forgot there was a dual LBX/20 model, I only remembered the LBX/10 one. Yeah, that'll do it. If you can keep it hidden to guard an LRM lance, it makes for a VERY nasty surprise for the enemy to find facing them.

Baudin posted:

Fafnir FNR-6U. I had a urban match in megamek against another goon (Gwaihir I think?) a few months ago where one of us randomed two of the things. It didn't end well.

Oh, and a Fafnir. I'm two for two!

edit: Oh I forgot the Coyote's at a move penalty for overheating, nevermind my post about its move options.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Great Beer posted:

How about it, Cloud Potato? Ready to take some risks and help us murder a cyclops?

I'm a little nervous about showing the Coyotl my back, but I haven't heard any counter-plans and I guess this is better than me fighting that baddie one-on-one. I haven't got jump-jets, so jumping into the woods isn't really an option for me; with my fairly slow move mods, I feel I'm best avoiding them altogether. Since intervening units don't affect line of sight, do I fire my short-range stuff at the Cyclops as well?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cloud Potato posted:

I'm a little nervous about showing the Coyotl my back, but I haven't heard any counter-plans and I guess this is better than me fighting that baddie one-on-one. I haven't got jump-jets, so jumping into the woods isn't really an option for me; with my fairly slow move mods, I feel I'm best avoiding them altogether. Since intervening units don't affect line of sight, do I fire my short-range stuff at the Cyclops as well?

You'd be at 5 hexes, so the lrms would only have a +1 penalty. Might be worth blasting with one or both of those. Whatever you do don't overheat though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cloud Potato posted:

I don't think you have much of a choice really. Showing him your back isn't the best idea, but the other option is turning around, not really being able to cripple him, and getting murdered once the blob is done with the Coyote.

If we can do significant damage (and hopefully cripple) the Cyclops this turn, then that removes the single hardest hitter the enemy has. The Shadow Hawk and Sentinel can do the same to the Wolverine, then they can move for backshots against the blob.

Does anyone know what the Coyote's plan is? He doesn't post, and makes hilariously terrible moves every turn. We can use him as bait to hit the Cyclops, and let you (Crusader) get past the blob to regroup with the Battlemaster. He's about to lose his PPC, which will give him the damage potential of my left arm. He's going to be useful as a spotter and meatshield only at that point.

Sentinel/paingod, if it's ok with you, I will be shooting the Cyclops this turn. I think between you and the Shadow Hawk you should be able to deal with the Wolverine, and my firepower would be better used supporting the Battlemaster.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Does anyone know what the Coyote's plan is? He doesn't post, and makes hilariously terrible moves every turn. We can use him as bait to hit the Cyclops, and let you (Crusader) get past the blob to regroup with the Battlemaster. He's about to lose his PPC, which will give him the damage potential of my left arm. He's going to be useful as a spotter and meatshield only at that point.

If he sticks to the plan I had on the last page, we can probably get him out. If he doesn't, he'll be a nice meat shield while we get the crusader out.

As for looping around behind the main group I'd advise against it. They still have three missile boats up north and in middle, attacking the blob means exposing yourselves ( :haw: ) to them.

Shadowhawk, if you want to back up the sentinel go ahead. Personally I'd prefer as many guns as we can get on the cyclops but it's your call.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Focus fire bros!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Focus fire bros!

For sure, you need to eliminate their heavy hitter before it finishes stripping off your armor. Once the armor is gone those lighter mechs will have a field day with you.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Heavy Gauss Rifles are huge, so one good crit to the Cyclops's right torso should cripple or destroy it. It's already sustained armour damage to that area, so all you need are some good hits.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, the thing fills up 11 crits, and it will blow up nicely, so all you need is one TAC and it's likely down to 2 ERMLs and maybe an SRM. Unless it has a Light fusion engine, it probably doesn't even have the SRMs. If it is running a light engine, then it has at least 7.5-8.5 tons of weapons on top of the quad ERMLs.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Great Beer posted:

You'd be at 5 hexes, so the lrms would only have a +1 penalty. Might be worth blasting with one or both of those. Whatever you do don't overheat though.

At 5 hexes LRMs have a +2 penalty to hit. They're minimum range 6, meaning they start taking penalties at 6 hexes and it increases the closer you get.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, the thing fills up 11 crits, and it will blow up nicely, so all you need is one TAC and it's likely down to 2 ERMLs and maybe an SRM. Unless it has a Light fusion engine, it probably doesn't even have the SRMs. If it is running a light engine, then it has at least 7.5-8.5 tons of weapons on top of the quad ERMLs.

Or a Clanspec XL, which the previous scenario has shown the NRWR to possess. Which raises the possibility that they also have Clanspec DHS and Endo-Steel. And Omnimechs, if the Woodsman / Coyotl are any indication. That Cyclops could be packing pretty much anything beyond what we already know.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Great Beer posted:

If he sticks to the plan I had on the last page, we can probably get him out. If he doesn't, he'll be a nice meat shield while we get the crusader out.

As for looping around behind the main group I'd advise against it. They still have three missile boats up north and in middle, attacking the blob means exposing yourselves ( :haw: ) to them.

Shadowhawk, if you want to back up the sentinel go ahead. Personally I'd prefer as many guns as we can get on the cyclops but it's your call.

I should be fine this turn, so he can rejoin with you guys. And I'll be back down there in 2 turns at the most, though I might detour to potshot more containers. Depends how this next shooting round goes.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sentinel orders in

Hammering the Wolverine and will be in position to run south to help, if needed

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Boiled crab - Orders in

Moving to 1819 and firing 3xERML and 1xERLL at the Cyclops. Need that C3i, guys!

Edit - Inspired by my current ride, I'm making stuff:

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 15, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Battlemaster - orders in
Moving to 1521 and alpha striking that Cyclops. Praise the dice, may their names be blessed.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Z the IVth posted:

Boiled crab - Orders in

Moving to 1819 and firing 3xERML and 1xERLL at the Cyclops. Need that C3i, guys!

Edit - Inspired by my current ride, I'm making stuff:

Tempting to do the same here but w/ Lego... got a process down-pact, first robot will be built in the coming month. :dance:

Sadly, Brickcommander does not have any Sentinels

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Crusader orders in. Move to 1426, shoot at the Cyclops a bunch. Activate Plan Great Beer!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

Crusader orders in. Move to 1426, shoot at the Cyclops a bunch. Activate Plan Great Beer Pray We Kill Them First!

I'm really hoping you guys get a few lucky rolls. Maybe a nice legging or two!

I almost said headshot (sarcastically) - but judging from how the scenario is going so far I wouldn't put it past you guys at all.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baudin posted:

I'm really hoping you guys get a few lucky rolls. Maybe a nice legging or two!

I almost said headshot (sarcastically) - but judging from how the scenario is going so far I wouldn't put it past you guys at all.

All of our shots at 7s are going to miss while the return fire headcaps on 11s.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

...the return fire headcaps on 11s.
That's an unfair generalisation, there could also be gyro TACs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure if I went and checked a majority of `Mech Destroyed results would be due to ammo explosions.

Second place would be engine hits, third would be all center torso structure destroyed.

Then cockpit hits and/or gyro destruction.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

:f5:

Why do you do this to us Poptarts, why?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No legging in there somewhere?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

apostateCourier posted:

:f5:

Why do you do this to us Poptarts, why?

It's Saturday man. I won't start work on the update until I do as much player movement as I can tonight :ssh: tomorrow.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's Saturday man. I won't start work on the update until I do as much player movement as I can tonight :ssh: tomorrow.

You do those teaser posts so often I never know when it's TAC time or just probability chat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm going to save EDGE for soaking a headshot from the Heavy Gauss Rifle until the Cyclops gets taken out.

Which I'm only mentioning because it just became relevant.

Edit: Very relevant. :doh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm going to save EDGE for soaking a headshot from the Heavy Gauss Rifle until the Cyclops gets taken out.

Which I'm only mentioning because it just became relevant.

Edit: Very relevant. :doh:

:ohdear: My head! My beautiful head!

• Locked thread