Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Gone Baptizin posted:

Ive noticed a ton of people on facebook supporting the arrest of the journalists and saying if the media stopped reporting on this it would all go away.

Anyone who says that is loving retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ugh, some fuckwad on my Facebook just posted a picture of a black guy who was killed in Afghanistan and said "This is a real black hero. Why arent we protesting the muzzies who killed him????"

gently caress. My. Life.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

on the left posted:

Collective punishment is cool and desirable when done to groups we don't like!
Anon's response to pretty much everything they don't like is to commit a bunch of totally unrelated federal crimes. Sometimes they actually target bad people, but their track record isn't great on that count. It's always funny when a month later a bunch of idiots post "WTF I got arrested!" on Reddit because they didn't bother obfuscating their identities when DDOSing.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gone Baptizin posted:

Ive noticed a ton of people on facebook supporting the arrest of the journalists and saying if the media stopped reporting on this it would all go away.

You shouldn't friend fasists on Facebook.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you want to use my photos you don't need my permission, just give me credit where possible.

Mommyblog Mindy
Apr 6, 2012

power is power
My biggest concern is that the money spent on dealing with this poo poo could have been used to help get the area's schools back on track and actually teach the kids to read. And, those county cops have been itching to assault black people for their whole lives, so I doubt another night of this will go off without a massacre of some sort.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

murphyslaw posted:

As it is right now the police are doing stuff most vigilante/citizen groups like -- cracking down on black people. So until US law enforcement starts to heavily discriminate against rural whites I don't think they're going to make much noise.

You have the Black Panthers, I guess.

There's also the report(s) coming out that LAPD shot/killed an unarmed black guy with mental health problems. This happened overnight last night I think? Also the few articles I've been able to find mention cops saying 'shoot him' or something to that effect.

I mean yeah it's horrible that there's still a huge racial divide and a lot of white people won't make noise or will auto-side with the (white) cops. I'm white and I think it's messed up beyond belief, and has been messed up beyond belief. Police here make me nervous/scared, I can only imagine (and never come close) to how it must feel being black and living in one of these states with a police force that sees and treats you like animals.

Is there any other news on the other locals in the area who were shot by the police since this all started? Supposedly one woman shot in the head, cops shushing other cops who started talking about it, stories getting crossed. First it was black teens with shotguns/guns then it was some black guy pointed a gun so they had to shoot the guy, etc..

I mean they (the police) could be trying to just keep all of these new police related shootings under wraps if they did indeed happen within the past 24-48 hours for fear of creating a domino effect - but it pisses me off that organizations in charge of enforcing law can just choose how to proceed here.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

St. Louis is my home town, and I'm going to the national moment of silence in Boston tonight. I suggest y'all find yours and go too.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Sunset posted:

There's also the report(s) coming out that LAPD shot/killed an unarmed black guy with mental health problems. This happened overnight last night I think? Also the few articles I've been able to find mention cops saying 'shoot him' or something to that effect.

I mean yeah it's horrible that there's still a huge racial divide and a lot of white people won't make noise or will auto-side with the (white) cops. I'm white and I think it's messed up beyond belief, and has been messed up beyond belief. Police here make me nervous/scared, I can only imagine (and never come close) to how it must feel being black and living in one of these states with a police force that sees and treats you like animals.

Is there any other news on the other locals in the area who were shot by the police since this all started? Supposedly one woman shot in the head, cops shushing other cops who started talking about it, stories getting crossed. First it was black teens with shotguns/guns then it was some black guy pointed a gun so they had to shoot the guy, etc..

I mean they (the police) could be trying to just keep all of these new police related shootings under wraps if they did indeed happen within the past 24-48 hours for fear of creating a domino effect - but it pisses me off that organizations in charge of enforcing law can just choose how to proceed here.

I think yesterday someone got shot during a traffic stop, and this morning I'm seeing stuff about a man getting tased multiple times and dying in custody.

EDIT: Here is the tased to death story. I've never seen this site before so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I refuse to believe there is a PD in America willing to murder more black people for a few days at least.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/article/20140813/NEWS/140819920?sect=Top+Stories&map=12690

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 14, 2014

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

St. Louis is my home town, and I'm going to the national moment of silence in Boston tonight. I suggest y'all find yours and go too.

Here's the link for the NMOS14 google doc, has info on events in almost every state: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y6bRJfwVL7JoJnxH8BN8O1p1ANXPEl5PjNMoELw54ME/preview?sle=true

Also, for those not in STL who want to help, you can contribute to the fund set up to help his family deal with legal costs, funeral costs, etc: http://www.gofundme.com/justiceformikebrown (I think this is the legit one set up for the family, but it can't hurt to double check just to be sure before you dole out some cash).

Honestly I'm tempted to blow off work for the next week and go up there. I have family in STL that I could stay with, and as dangerous as it might be, watching this from the sidelines is just too infuriating right now.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 14, 2014

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Oh my God, shut up, we're not going to privatize the police. Lord.

Edit:

quote:

Marshall Law

*snrk*

I like how you even capitalized it. Trivia question: which Marshall is Marshall Law named after?

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

TheAnonMessage @TheAnonMessage · 1m
We have video of Mike Brown's body being shoved into the back of a PD SUV. No EMS was on the scene at all as we first thought. #Ferguson

From twitter account TheAnonMessage

Edit: Why on earth would that be something the police would be doing rather then EMS if true. Don't want them seeing how many bullet holes/which side of the body they're on?

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001
Here's more video of the Al Jazeera crew being attacked by police. There doesn't appear to be anyone else around and a tear gas canister lands right at their feet. The crew flees, clearly illuminated by a helicopter, followed by the police running up to take down their lights and point their camera at the ground. They then proceed to order these guys to leave who recorded the whole thing.

http://www.ksdk.com/videos/news/local/2014/08/14/14042891/

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/14/crews-hit-with-bean-bags-tear-gas/14042747/

"police told them they received a call that members of the media were in danger and in need of assistance."

Py-O-My fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 14, 2014

Buzzman
Feb 21, 2011
https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/499925308574023680

quote:

Bloomberg: Missouri Gov. Nixon to announce St. Louis County police being taken out of situation. per Rep. Clay (D-Mo.). #Ferguson

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Per Bloomberg:

"Bloomberg: Missouri Gov. Nixon to announce St. Louis County police being taken out of situation. per Rep. Clay (D-Mo.). #Ferguson"

efb ^^^

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

also

Shaun King ‏@ShaunKing 9m

. @GovJayNixon just confirmed that the State Police & Federal Authorities are going to relieve St. Louis County PD of their duties here.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Just saw this as well. Could this mean he's relieving them of duty?

drat twitter is great.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

2 days too late.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Nixon

quote:

Nixon has overseen the state's involvement in the court settlements that ended mandatory urban busing in St. Louis and Kansas City's public schools

I'm sure he'll fix everything.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
You win reelections by fighting fires, not by preventing them :(

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Py-O-My posted:

Here's more video of the Al Jazeera crew being attacked by police. There doesn't appear to be anyone else around and a tear gas canister lands right at their feet. The crew flees, clearly illuminated by a helicopter, followed by the police running up to take down their lights and point their camera at the ground. They then proceed to order these guys to leave who recorded the whole thing.

http://www.ksdk.com/videos/news/local/2014/08/14/14042891/

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/14/crews-hit-with-bean-bags-tear-gas/14042747/

"police told them they received a call that members of the media were in danger and in need of assistance."

Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself! Cops shooting tear gas directly at news media to intimidate/threaten them for filming and then use the time honored 'He was going for my gun/we got a call of someone in danger' narrative. Police forces paid to protect and to serve firing riot control methods directly at news agencies on us soil with no agressive/violent action around them in sight. I know it's not by far the first time, (Occupy, etc etc) but the brazenness of them doing it here and using some not at all believable excuse how it's all for your protection. Haha seriously how long until we're in Half Life. Or are we there already?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/stlcountypd/status/499929823704133633

Bryan Williams is not an officer.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

on the left posted:

With regard to the laying siege, what do people even expect police to do? It's their job to stop lawlessness and riots, and it would be similarly racist if they just said "Have fun destroying your own neighborhood" and went home.

I dunno. Hazarding a guess that it shouldn't consist of looting professional media equipment though!

Spacman fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 14, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

So they say, but I'm not sure I trust them.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

I'm not sure either, but it'll be interesting either way. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another misidentified bomber incident. Looks like Anon is sticking to their guns and just released two pictures of the guy.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Neo Duckberg,

One thing you might want to do if you plan on heading back today is to bring a bag of disposable ear plugs and hand them out to kids. I think the community there would be much more receptive to you (and wouldn't think you're a cop/there to incite the cops) if you showed some interest in helping them instead of sitting on the sidelines with a camera.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

ReidRansom posted:

In the contest of Anonymous vs StLPD, I wouldn't trust either...

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
Things I've learned from the thread so far:

-this is purely about race and there are no other factors
-if Democrats/libertarian hellscape, this not happen
-ACAB
-Neo Duckberg takes awesome pictures

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ReidRansom posted:

TheAnonMessage: St. Louis County PD claims Bryan Willman doesn't work for them or #Ferguson PD. We'll see about that.
TheAnonMessage: PHOTO: WILLMAN, BRYAN P. #Ferguson #Shooting #MikeBrown #Anonymous https://pic.twitter.com/q3mspGpiTK

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Transmogrifier posted:

TheAnonMessage: St. Louis County PD claims Bryan Willman doesn't work for them or #Ferguson PD. We'll see about that.
TheAnonMessage: PHOTO: WILLMAN, BRYAN P. #Ferguson #Shooting #MikeBrown #Anonymous https://pic.twitter.com/q3mspGpiTK

Thanks anon member CJ Gagn-something.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
^^^ Those don't even look like the same person.

Neo Duckberg IRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1QHTe4bud0&t=883s

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 14, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A Winner is Jew posted:

Neo Duckberg,

One thing you might want to do if you plan on heading back today is to bring a bag of disposable ear plugs and hand them out to kids. I think the community there would be much more receptive to you (and wouldn't think you're a cop/there to incite the cops) if you showed some interest in helping them instead of sitting on the sidelines with a camera.

Good idea actually.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Fortunately the Ferguson PD has a great solution available to them that would prevent Anonymous from harassing random citizens: release the loving name.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

A Winner is Jew posted:

Neo Duckberg,

Actually not a bad idea. Handkerchiefs soaked in apple cider vinegar in a plastic baggie are good for tear gas. No joking.

:v: Also if you have to say anything about your swollen lip, tell them it was a direct result of police brutality. :v:

Transmogrifier posted:

Doughy white guys with buzzcuts all look the same to me.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If.. He actually is the officer, where's the bruises? And if he is, did the STL County Police just straight loving lie to the public immediately after being relieved of duty? Does this guy have photos of the Mayor killing a hooker or something? There's no reason to protect this guy at this point, it's lose lose all the way down.

Holy poo poo.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Quantum Finger posted:

Doughy white guys with buzzcuts all look the same to me.

Yeah, second picture is bad and sunglasses don't help. Really hoping it isn't a repeat of the Boston Marathon, as another poster said. They do just need to release the name.

Edit: vv Does bring up a good point, however.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

hcreight posted:

Fortunately the Ferguson PD has a great solution available to them that would prevent Anonymous from harassing random citizens: release the loving name.

Obviously not a fan of militarization of police or FPD right now but why "scapegoat" and make the dude or his family a potential target to crazy people?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Committeewoman Patricia Bynes just now on Democracy Now says she and others in the community know who the officer is because a) it was in broad daylight and they witnessed it, obviously, and b) he's been harassing people. She wouldn't release the name, however.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dang.

Edit for broken image:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Now that this is drawing to a close, can we conclude that yes, the Milgram Experiment is indeed verifiable?

• Locked thread