Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

OptimusShr posted:

I've been working retail for four years (:smithicide:) and this poo poo rarely happens. 90% of the time if you give them the answer they don't want to hear they ask for a manager or supervisor.

Or they go and just ask somebody else who will give them the same loving answer (or better yet, ask you, because it's your department, not theirs, and get the same loving answer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Or they go and just ask somebody else who will give them the same loving answer (or better yet, ask you, because it's your department, not theirs, and get the same loving answer).

This usually is the case when they think that we're deliberately lying and preventing the customer from buying their (bananas/chicken/steak/babies) because :tinfoil:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
http://alicia-prague-blog.com/2013/09/08/why-i-hate-football-season/#comment-4772

quote:

A few years ago I was at a bar with my girl and another couple. Just trying to enjoy some wings and a beer. Since I’ve always hated football it didn’t occur to me it was Sunday mid game. So there we were. Surrounded by fat drunk loud mouth blabbering slobs of all varieties. the fat butch wearing the oversized jersey and sideways hat (borderline Down syndrome). Ugh just thinking about years later makes my blood boil. They were bumping our table screaming in our ears. Amongst other things. One got in my face demanding to know why we weren’t into the game. I’d had it. A year long court case ensued. Me unharmed. Them, broken noses, teeth knocked out extra. Police came and actually turned taped the area off as a crime scene . Hey football tards! Don’t scream at and touch the girl friend of a 300 lbs bodybuilder who’s been doing kickboxing since he could walk. Idiots!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

I have never in my life encountered a woman who gets mad when a man holds the door open for her.

I have, however, encountered a few guys who refuse to let a woman hold the door open for them.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

"That's the jiff of it."

:eng99:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

walrusman posted:

"That's the jiff of it."

:eng99:

Really, everyone knows "that's the giff of it"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

maybe he was really craving peanut butter.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I have seen both these things happen on several occasions. These people just won't accept the fact that we can't give them the answer they want to hear.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I have never in my life encountered a woman who gets mad when a man holds the door open for her.

I have, however, encountered a few guys who refuse to let a woman hold the door open for them.

I have definitely seen the opposite to your statements.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

How does that work? Do they just kind of stop at the door, cross their arms and pout until the bewildered woman leaves?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Frostyhawk posted:

How does that work? Do they just kind of stop at the door, cross their arms and pout until the bewildered woman leaves?

they just stand there and stare at you until you shrug and walk into the building and let the door shut in their face before they pull it open themselves. It's really weird behavior and I don't get it. I've had dudes honest to god dive infront of me and almost knock me over to get the door open if it looked like I was going to get there first just so that I wouldn't open it first.

But 99.99% of the time it's just a smile and a thank you as they walk by like normal

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I can definitely believe that a 300lb bodybuilder has rage problems.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Well, she was in her low 20s.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Frostyhawk posted:

They usually say "no no I insist" and awkwardly stand right behind you and hold open the door. Then you get to limbo under their armpit.

First person to get to the door holds it open, regardless of gender, that's my rule.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Frostyhawk posted:

What really baffles me is that there are still people even talking about it. Like I remember 15 years ago I got kicked in the shin once for opening a door I happened to get to a few seconds before a woman and held it for her and I knew two women in particular that would just stand there and stare at a door if there was a male human of any age within fifteen feet. Now, though, pretty much 100% of the time whoever gets there first opens the door and holds it for whoever is close behind them. Sometimes somebody of really any gender will just hold it for a whole herd of people going through.

I think, as a society, we finally realized how incredibly stupid it is to have a poo poo load of rules about who should and should not open doors and for whom.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

People with Down Syndrome are usually very friendly, respectful and polite. So not like those guys at all.

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.

quote:

(I am browsing in a well-known book store. There is an employee a few feet away from me currently filling and pricing an entire bookcase by herself. Bypassing the customer service desk right next to me, an angry-looking man storms towards the employee.)

Customer: “You! You need to help me! I’m looking for volume 12 of [Popular New Manga Series] and you need to get it for me!”

Employee: “Oh. Well, all our manga books are just there, where that lady is currently stood.”

Customer: “But I can’t find it! You need to get it for me now!”

Employee: “I’m ever so sorry, but I’m unable to leave these books unattended at the moment. There should be another of my colleagues that might be able to help you find it at the customer service desk which is just ov—”

Customer: “But YOU need to help me! I’ve asked you! My son needs that volume and YOU need to get it for him!”

Employee: “I’m sorry, but there’s nothing I can do for you.”

(The man storms off back in my direction, shouting back at the employee.)

Customer: “Well, you’ve been a TREMENDOUS help! Thanks for nothing, you stupid b****!”

Me: “Hey, there’s absolutely no need for that!”

Customer: “And just what are YOU going to do about it, b****?!”

Me: “Hmmm, I don’t know… Oh, wait. Didn’t I hear you say you were looking for the new volume of [Popular New Manga Series]? Volume 12, wasn’t it?”

Customer: “Yeah? What of it?!”

Me: “Forgive me if I’m wrong, but the book I’m currently holding just happens to be that volume, doesn’t it?”

Customer: “Yes! Where was that?!”

Me: “Exactly where the employee told you it was before you berated her. Such a shame that this is the last copy as well. Seeing as you were such an insufferable d*****bag, you now get to watch me carry it to the checkout and purchase it! Bye!”

(The man screamed at me and the employee for so long that the police were called. The employee actually bought the book for me out of her own pocket as a way of thanking me!)

Popular New Manga Series

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Popular New Anime Series was better imho.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm ever so sorry, but Popular Light Novel Series was the best adaptation.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Wow look at all these people in the thread who haven't played Popular New Visual Novel Series, and consider themselves Popular New Japanese Media Series fans.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Only because my local Well Known Bookstore doesn't carry it :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Serperoth posted:

Wow look at all these people in the thread who haven't played Popular New Visual Novel Series, and consider themselves Popular New Japanese Media Series fans.

I actually went to [city, country] and attended [convention] to meet [popular artist], so from their Q&A I learned a couple of things about Popular New Japanese Entertainment Franchise that most Western fans are not even aware of. I posted it on [site] and you can easily [search engine] it if you want proof.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Only because my local Well Known Bookstore doesn't carry it :(

Please :rolleyes: Just get the import from Website. It's only a few Widely Accepted Currency more.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

QueenOfMistakes posted:

(The man screamed at me and the employee for so long that the police were called. The employee actually bought the book for me out of her own pocket as a way of thanking me!)

I took would buy a gift for the stranger that provoked a second stranger into screaming at me for so long that the police were called! :buddy:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I know asking this is old hat, but

quote:

Employee: “Oh. Well, all our manga books are just there, where that lady is currently stood.”

Who the gently caress talks like that?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I know asking this is old hat, but

Who the gently caress talks like that?

Since it's almost certainly a Not Always Right post, the story was probably rewritten by the NAR crew. That explains the omission of the mangas name, and why the phrasing is wonky.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have been all over the goddamn world and I have never been to a place where pricing and stocking takes priority over customer service, especially when the thing they need is "a few feet away."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

On The Need For Hazard Pay, Part 8
Retail | MD, USA | At The Checkout, Bad Behavior, Crazy Requests

(I work in a well-known department store chain as a cashier. By law, I’m required to offer our store credit card to each and every customer that comes through my line if they’re over the age of 18.)

Me: “Okay, ma’am, your total is [total]. If you don’t have our [Store] card, I can try to save you $10 or $15 on this purchase.”

Customer: *mumbles so low that I can’t hear her*

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. Could you please repeat that?”

Customer: “I SAID NO! GOD! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ENGLISH AT ALL? YOUR SERVICE IS HORRIBLE!”

(At this point she starts screaming her head off, and I see my manager, who is really short and stocky, running down the aisle to see what all the yelling is about.)

Customer: “I MEAN, WHY ARE YOU EVEN ASKING ME IF I WANT A CREDIT CARD? YOU SHOULD KNOW I DON’T HAVE ANY OF THEM!”

Me: “Ma’am, I have never met you before. How would I know that you don’t have any credit cards?”

Customer: “YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CHECK YOUR THINGAMAJIG WHEN I GIVE YOU MY REWARDS CARD!”

Me: “Ma’am… those are two completely separate things.”

Customer: “NO, THEY’RE NOT! STOP F***ING LYING TO ME!”

(My manager has just gotten to my booth when the customer slaps me, hard, across my face.)

Manager: “[Customer]! Why did you just hit my cashier?!”

Customer: “HE WAS SUPPOSED TO KNOW I DON’T HAVE ANY CREDIT CARDS!”

Manager: “Get out of my store! This is the third time you’ve done this! Do not come back!”

Customer: “THIS IS WHY I NEVER SHOP AT [Store]! THE SERVICE IS TERRIBLE!”

Manager: *after the customer left* “Are you okay? Go on a break. I’ll cover for you.”

Me: “So… no hazard pay?”

Manager: “Ha. Good luck with that. I’ve been here 40 years and I don’t get hazard pay.”

(She did the customer satisfaction survey on the receipt that we print out and gave me the lowest possible rating, a 0, because of “terrible service” and actually WON a $1,000 gift card to the store via the sweepstakes system. Corporate was notified and they cancelled the gift card right away and gave me a $100 gift card!)

And the name of that Manager? Albert Einstein.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You don't understand sir. I can't leave these books unattended in this book store! Someone might buy them!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Tunicate posted:

And the name of that Manager? Albert Einstein.

quote:

By law, I’m required to offer our store credit card to each and every customer that comes through my line if they’re over the age of 18.

Ah yes, the American Upsell Act of 1996.

The $100 gift card from corporate is :psyduck: as poo poo. What kind of chain not only admits that their employees are getting treated abusively by customers, but reward them for... Getting hit in the store? Unless it was one of those "Sign here and we give you a gift card, now shut up about it" kind of thing. Because the manager should have called the cops, and filled out a workplace injury report, and...

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Ah yes, the American Upsell Act of 1996.

Somewhere in DC a lobbyist just got an erection.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
The Ultimate reward for an interesting resume.

quote:

Bagged Himself A Steal
RETAIL | BALTIMORE, MD, USA | AWESOME CUSTOMERS, CRIMINAL/ILLEGAL, WILD & UNRULY
(I work as a cart attendant at a popular retail store. It is a rather slow day and my coworker and I are getting ready to go get more carts when I hear our undercover security guard yelling.)

Undercover Guard: “[Security Guard], stop this guy! He stole an iPod!”

(The security guard heads the guy off at the front but the shoplifter pulls a knife.)

Shoplifter: “Let me by or I’ll cut the s*** out of you!”

(Due to company policy, the security guard has to let him pass due to safety reasons. The shoplifter tries to run out the entrance while a rather elderly looking man is entering. The elderly man then proceeds to clothesline the thief, jump on top of him, punch him in the face, and disarm him. The elderly man stands up.)

Elderly Man: “I got him!”

(All four of us are astonished at what has just happened. As the security guard hauls the shoplifter into the security office to await the police my fellow cart attendant and I start talking to the old man.)

Coworker: “That was the coolest thing I’ve seen all year!”

Me: “Yeah, where did you learn to do that!?”

Elderly Man: “Oh, that was nothing! I learned how to do that from my DI in basic years ago!”

(It turns out he was a Marine veteran who fought through WWII, the Korean War, and Vietnam! Needless to say the man was made an honorary employee and given the employee discount for life!)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Khazar-khum posted:

It reads like something from a Simpsons episode down to an unrealistic number of wars Abe Simpson has survived due to show's existing 25 years without aging anyone.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
From imgur:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Khazar-khum posted:

I wish the poo poo That Did Happen thread wasn't such a dog. Your contribution reminds me of yet another wacky story I have that would fit in this thread except that it's completely true.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Second City posted this article:

Some badass posted this comment:

I don't think they even read the article, they just wanted to post their totally cool story about condescending to a scary black man.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

From a friend's facebook:

quote:

In the middle of the night, I decided to sleepily snuggle up to my husband. This was obviously a mistake. I got quite the rude awakening when he responded by shoving me into the wall and screaming "THE BATMAN DOESNT NEED ANYBODY!!" in his sleep, before rolling over and stealing the rest of the covers. I was laughing too hard to be offended.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Khazar-khum posted:

Something similar to this actually happened at a department store I worked at, if you reverse the roles a little.
The running shoplifter got dropped by some random guy, and THEN pulled out a knife.
Then some old lady pulled out a gun :stare:

Ghouligan
Aug 4, 2014

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Second City posted this article:

Some badass posted this comment:

I don't think they even read the article, they just wanted to post their totally cool story about condescending to a scary black man.

I love that the guy is "black or Afro-American or whatever ridiculous political buzzword they're using these days" but he himself is "caucasian (Norse German Irish)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ghouligan posted:

I love that the guy is "black or Afro-American or whatever ridiculous political buzzword they're using these days" but he himself is "caucasian (Norse German Irish)"

And how did you miss he's 1/97000000000000000000th Native American? He knows the feels that come with oppression. It is in his racial memory.

• Locked thread