Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

HJE-Cobra posted:

If someone is bad at Mario 3, I vaguely recall that the SNES version made a few things sliiightly easier, like adding a second block next to a block you drop down onto. I feel like the GBA version was even more slightly easier like that too, but don't remember details.

Pretty much any remake of SMB3 should have fixed a few things and made some things a tiny bit easier, and the NES one is the original.

Real men don't use bitch blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You could buy 'em new for that much from Big W or some other department store, probably.
Nah they are $49 got Galaxy 1 and I haven't seen Galaxy 2 in stock for more than six months and would likely be $79

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

bowmore posted:

Nah they are $49 got Galaxy 1 and I haven't seen Galaxy 2 in stock for more than six months and would likely be $79

Yeah that's exactly it. Galaxy 2 has the added bonus of being hard to find around my area.

Props to Big W though, they're the only place I've been to that has The Wonderful 101.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I didn't realize that the Wii U up converted Wii games so well. Other than Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, what are the must haves from last generation that I missed?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bowmore posted:

Really? I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm pretty sure my local has both of 'em for around $35 each.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fremry posted:

I didn't realize that the Wii U up converted Wii games so well. Other than Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, what are the must haves from last generation that I missed?

Well, there's the usual suspects: Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Unfortunately, both of those will likely be hard to find and/or expensive. Your local Gamestop might have copies lying around, but you'd have to get lucky, and they won't come cheap (50 bucks or so), but they're both worth it. Trust me on that!

There's also the Pikmin games, both originally Gamecube games but re-released with Wii pointer controls, which work quite well for those games. If you've tried and liked Pikmin 3 on the Wii U, or even if you haven't, both Pikmin and Pikmin 2 are worth a look!

There's also two Zelda games on the Wii: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess also had a superior, by most accounts, Gamecube version, but the Wii one is fine. But hey if you have a Gamecube still, by all means, play that one! Skyward Sword is a very divisive Zelda game, but I liked it gosh darn it.

If Fire Emblem is your bag, there was a Fire Emblem game on the Wii as well: Radiant Dawn. However, if you haven't played the Gamecube one (Path of Radiance), I recommend starting with that one, as the Wii one is a direct sequel, and Path of Radiance is excellent. If you have no way to play Gamecube games anymore, just disregard this one. Maybe Nintendo will put it on the Virtual Console one of these days...

Also, if you haven't played Okami on PS2 or the HD version on PS3, it's also on the Wii, so play it somehow.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Radient Dawn was an odd game, mechanically I love it a lot but the plot and pacing are all over the loving place.

I'd also recommend both Battalion Wars, they're my hidden gem from the last 2 generations. Very cool, funny and fun games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you're in NA, Rhythm Heaven Fever and Sin & Punishment 2 are both great Nintendo-published games that are cheap and easy to find.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My copy of Radiant Dawn got accidentally broken and I've never been more unhappy about a game getting smashed. Every copy now costs like $150. :smith:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Really? I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm pretty sure my local has both of 'em for around $35 each.

bowmore posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja, just as a heads up here I think bowmore's talking about AUS$. Are you talking USA$?

Silver Falcon posted:

Great summation of good Wii games.

Silver Falcon made a great post here. In addition to Pikmin some other Gamecube games were released with Wii controls, like Mario Power Tennis, which is great if you like that series.

Really depending on what genres you like there's likely good Wii games for you.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Mario 3 is legit not hard and if you're remembering it as hard it's probably because you were playing it as a child like 20+ years ago.

You don't need a special version of it to beat it. I'm not trolling, I swear, just trust me, get any copy you want, play it, and you'll realize this post is accurate

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, there's the usual suspects: Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Unfortunately, both of those will likely be hard to find and/or expensive. Your local Gamestop might have copies lying around, but you'd have to get lucky, and they won't come cheap (50 bucks or so), but they're both worth it. Trust me on that!

If you're after a PAL copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, MightyApe sold an intern's soul to the Devil or something, because they managed to get some copies back in-stock for $80AU, new.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Punch Out Wii is an absolutely fantastic title and I wish it were recommended more for people looking to get into the Wii library. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

Punch Out Wii is an absolutely fantastic title and I wish it were recommended more for people looking to get into the Wii library. :(

The thread OP could probably do with a general "what's worth hunting down" list of Wii games, considering the question comes up often enough.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Serrath posted:

Mario 3 is legit not hard and if you're remembering it as hard it's probably because you were playing it as a child like 20+ years ago.

You don't need a special version of it to beat it. I'm not trolling, I swear, just trust me, get any copy you want, play it, and you'll realize this post is accurate

Some of the stages in world 8 are really hard (the fast-moving ship stage; the world 8 mid-boss castle, 8-1 (this stage) is really difficult:

Also the Japanese version is roughly twice as hard because one hit brings you right back to small Mario.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

There were never any shortage of the PAL version Xenoblade Chronicles. So while it's cool it's available it's nothing special.

The US version however was a Gamestop exclusive while also having a limited print run. So it's much harder to find a copy there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baron FU posted:

There were never any shortage of the PAL version Xenoblade Chronicles. So while it's cool it's available it's nothing special.

The US version however was a Gamestop exclusive while also having a limited print run. So it's much harder to find a copy there.

It's gone from a lot of the online PAL stores as well now, and it's non-existent on retail store shelves. At least in Australia, anyway. That said; I have seen Pandora Tower and even an occasional copy of The Last Story turn up in a few JB Hi-Fi's (I think the US equivalent chain is Best Buy?)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Baron FU posted:

It's very easy to find a copy. They are just priced high.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/18/u-r-mr-gay-message-discovered-in-super-mario-galaxy-box-art/

Ahahahaha more reason why its a great game

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Kidding aside, does Galaxy 1 offer anything worthwhile over Galaxy 2? I have the second already, but they are selling the greatest hits version locally for like $20.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Bonobos posted:

Kidding aside, does Galaxy 1 offer anything worthwhile over Galaxy 2? I have the second already, but they are selling the greatest hits version locally for like $20.

While the sequel is considered to be a refinement of the first game with more post-game content, you'll find that some people prefer the first game for some its storybook style story, the hub world, the use of spherical levels, and just the overall atmosphere. I personally prefer the steamlined gameplay, Yoshi segments, and non-planetoid heavy level design of the sequel but they're both very polished games and worth playing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Both games have loving awesome levels so you should play them both because of that.

The level in the first game where the background is like... desserts or something? and the floor has various shaped holes you can fall through was such pure joy platforming. It made my jaw drop when I first played it

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The games are basically the same. Galaxy 1 is less about raw platforming, but really if you liked 2 you will like 1 just as much.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I just bought a WiiU because my 360 broke and I want my fiancé to play games with me (I could never get her excited about any games other than Katamari, but she seems pretty hyped about the WiiU.)

In particular, she really wants to do the bowling. Is there any option other than buying a disc of Wii Sports or that other Sports game (that came with the WiiMotion+thing)? I can't get Wii Sports on the virtual shop, can I?

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

I just bought a WiiU because my 360 broke and I want my fiancé to play games with me (I could never get her excited about any games other than Katamari, but she seems pretty hyped about the WiiU.)

In particular, she really wants to do the bowling. Is there any option other than buying a disc of Wii Sports or that other Sports game (that came with the WiiMotion+thing)? I can't get Wii Sports on the virtual shop, can I?

Wii Sports Club, on the eShop, is an HD/online-enabled update to Wii Sports with a few extra tweaks, too. So yes, get that. You'll need some wiimotes, if you don't already have them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The eShop has Wii Sports Club, which has four titles in it you can buy individually. Bowling, Tennis, Golf, and Boxing/Baseball(as one package for some reason).

You can download it for a free one day trial, and each part is $10.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

You can. They remade the sports games to take advantage of the higher resolution and the motion plus sensors under the banner of WiiSports Club. It's tennis, bowling, golf, baseball, and boxing. You can buy each game individually, or you can even rent them for chunks of time.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Macaluso posted:

Both games have loving awesome levels so you should play them both because of that.

The level in the first game where the background is like... desserts or something? and the floor has various shaped holes you can fall through was such pure joy platforming. It made my jaw drop when I first played it

I had a similar experience the first time they had me on a moving disc and I had to go between the top and bottom of the platform while dodging electric fence things and I was just like :vince:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
After picking up a Wii U a couple weeks back it's pretty much all I find myself playing even with owning a PS4 and XB1.

Beat Wind Waker HD with about 37 hours total put into it and am now slowly trying to beat Super Mario 3D World.

Guess the next game I'll look into is Pikmin 3 but thankfully a friend owns it so I can try it since I've never played a Pikmin game before.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

After playing a bit more of New Super Mario Bros U, I think it's a very solid, challenging platformer that doesn't deserve the dismissal it gets. The first world sucked, the second world was good, and the ice world has some tough and fun levels. It doesn't really innovate, but I'm not sure what you could do while still keeping the feel of a left-to-right Mario platformer. As long as they keep putting out more revolutionary titles like Galaxy and 3D World, I'm ok with getting some more traditional Mario stuff on the side. Of course I'm sure Tropical Freeze is gonna blow it away when I get around to that.

Also I think the music is actually pretty good except it's ruined by those "wahwah"'s. It's a shame those are like the trademark of the New franchise because they're really terrible and omnipresent.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Also I think the music is actually pretty good except it's ruined by those "wahwah"'s. It's a shame those are like the trademark of the New franchise because they're really terrible and omnipresent.

The New series wouldn't get half the poo poo it gets if it had the same music quality as 3D world

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I played NSMB2 back when it first came out and could not believe the soundtrack. There was so many loving wahs it had to be a joke. I could not look past that soundtrack.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The music in NSMB games isn't great or anything, but I'd like to go on record saying that I don't really mind it and the wahs aren't the worst thing in the world.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Wa is Good.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I think the reason it bugs people so much is because all the characters do their little dance when a "Wah" hits.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

No I love it when that happens it's just so overused in NSMB2 it had to be self-aware.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I like the Wahs. They're cute.

What a bunch of humbugs you all are.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I think the reason it bugs people so much is because all the characters do their little dance when a "Wah" hits.

I've seen this complaint a lot where people say it messes up the timing or something, but those guys must be huge loving scrubs cause its just part of the timing in these games. Its not random at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sadly that must be a coincidence, since "U R GAY" would make way more sense to some artwork saboteur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

I've seen this complaint a lot where people say it messes up the timing or something, but those guys must be huge loving scrubs cause its just part of the timing in these games. Its not random at all.

Yeah, I think the little dance actually added to the game. I died once when I was doing a really quick run through a level and didn't account for the dance. It definitely made me become aware of it and it adds just the little bit of variance to the movement of the enemies. The fact that you have to listen to the music to for the cue of when it happens actually immersed me more into the game.

• Locked thread