Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SquadronROE posted:

Do you have any sources on the Boeing thing? I know that Charleston had to basically build an entire wing onto the local community college and fund the training for them, but I don't have any real information about how it went.

Well, it is primarily via leaks that any news makes it out because Boeing management desperately wants the SC plant to be seen as a success in order to force concessions out of their union labor in WA and the Seattle government. Here are a few:

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2013/08/02/everett-will-have-to-make-of.html
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2022830424_boeingcharlestonxml.html
http://www.ibtimes.com/boeings-internal-war-seattle-engineers-point-finger-south-carolinas-shoddy-work-787-dreamliner
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2023913654_boeing787productionxml.html

But the gist of things is missed deadlines, missed production goals, and incomplete work. It has come to a head lately because Boeing decided to get rid of all the experienced (high paid) talent they brought in to get the plant started:

International Business Times posted:

A Boeing South Carolina engineer quoted in the article said the problems had been building for months and cited three main factors for the decline in quality.

First of all, when the plant was established in 2011, experienced aviation workers from all over the country were hired, mainly to establish good standards and work as quality inspectors. Many of them were let go in the past few months. That decision, along with the introduction to the line of the longer 787-9 model, which is slightly different from the 787-8, has caused production to dip from 10 to seven a month as workers struggle with new instructions and techniques.

In addition, he said that around the time the experienced workers were let go, the company demanded a higher level of output, which caused workers to rush jobs.

Boeing plans to increase production levels of the Dreamliner to 10 per month, and then 12 per month in 2016, and 14 in 2020.

So dire is Boeing’s problem in Charleston, they’ve hired back 300 to 400 contractors who had previously been let go. The plant is not unionized, which means Boeing has the power to cut people whenever it wants.

To help the less-experienced workers in South Carolina, Boeing has had to rewrite the instruction manuals for each stage of assembly. Previous versions were, as the engineer said, riddled with errors, mostly because the experienced workers didn’t need word-for-word instructions; most machinists had a vast array of legacy knowledge.

Which leads to poo poo like this:

Seattle Times posted:

Since late last year, Boeing 787 Dreamliner fuselage sections from North Charleston, S.C., have arrived at the Everett final assembly line seriously incomplete with wiring and hydraulics lines missing, according to multiple sources in the factory.

The poorly done work out of Charleston threatens to undermine the company’s plans to deliver 10 Dreamliners a month and fulfill the much-delayed jet program’s original promise.

“It’s snowballing. The planes are getting worse out of Charleston,” said one senior Everett employee who oversees the production status of the airplanes.

Anybody considering high-tech in SC will look at the Boeing plant and run far, far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Rand Paul swinging for the fences

http://time.com/3111474/rand-paul-ferguson-police/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I agree with his thesis at least

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Mlk's son is on msnbc talking about it now. There's going to be a rally in Ferguson.

edit: Gov Nixon gave a speech to a few clergy and there's this lady in the background trying not to snap off.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 14, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shifty Pony posted:

Well, it is primarily via leaks that any news makes it out because Boeing management desperately wants the SC plant to be seen as a success in order to force concessions out of their union labor in WA and the Seattle government. Here are a few:

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news/2013/08/02/everett-will-have-to-make-of.html
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2022830424_boeingcharlestonxml.html
http://www.ibtimes.com/boeings-internal-war-seattle-engineers-point-finger-south-carolinas-shoddy-work-787-dreamliner
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2023913654_boeing787productionxml.html

But the gist of things is missed deadlines, missed production goals, and incomplete work. It has come to a head lately because Boeing decided to get rid of all the experienced (high paid) talent they brought in to get the plant started:

Which leads to poo poo like this:

Anybody considering high-tech in SC will look at the Boeing plant and run far, far away.

Extremely interesting stuff, thanks. It sounds like they tried to cut costs by moving to a new area and in the process are having to build a work force from the ground up, which is costing them more and more each day. Interesting that all the new jobs they're creating are having to be filled with non-local hires.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Derail time!

http://projects.aljazeera.com/2014/south-carolina-schools/

SC public schools are kind of in very different shape depending on where you are in the state. While none of them are what I would consider "good", there are a lot that are better than others. A reporter who graduated from University of South Carolina decided to do a series on it. The series is quite good, but there have already been responses: Notably that Democrats are all to blame for this because they funnel all the sweet, sweet funds into their pockets in the form of graft.

Instead of the idea that no money goes there because there is no money.

Yeah apparently the school district I'm in is one of the best in the state but the city is basically full of people that make bank in Charlotte but live in SC for the low taxes. Although the area I'm in is strangely diverse and affordable. :shrug:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 14, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh there is certainly plenty that can be done to enhance English language skills and proficiency, primarily by giving money to teachers and educational programs.

Yet strangely the GOP has completely gutted those programs and grants as I mentioned above. Funny thing huh?

Exactly.

I wouldn't have a problem with mandating English or making it "official" so long as funding is existed for free English classes. I seriously believe this is one area where conservatives have a point (let's all speak the same language) and I'm in favor it, so long as it's not "SPEAK ENGLISH OR GET OUT!" as much as "Here is a place that offers free English classes and will help you assimilate American culture, seek jobs and live a better life."

I don't want to stake my liberal cred on it, but I don't see anything wrong with providing a way for everyone to be able to communicate and speaking English seems like a reasonable place to start. I wouldn't move to France without doing everything I could to learn French first.

And before anyone jumps on me, I'd also be for mandatory bilingual education in High School, not to mention making sure that the existing citizens who DO have English as their first language be literate in it as well.

SirKibbles posted:

Mlk's son is on msnbc talking about it now. There's going to be a rally in Ferguson.

edit: Gov Nixon gave a speech to a few clergy and there's this lady in the background trying not to snap off.

What year is it? Some things never change.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

The arguments against the idea were basically "it's racist" and "learning languages is fun why do you hate fun?" whereas the arguments in favor were essentially "it's more convenient, it helps solidarity in the country, most western developed nations have it and it helps prevent splinter groups such as the Quebecois Bloc, the Catalonians, etc."

To be honest I don't understand why we haven't done this yet. There's nothing preventing people from labeling their products in multiple languages for private reasons or for market share, but enforcing English language learning would be helpful for the labor market, politics, and a whole host of things.

I'm not seeing how declaring english the national language will help solidarity and I'll be worried about language based splinter groups when Mexican immigrants actually start demanding the overturning of Guadalupe Hidalgo en mass.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

This is all Big Govt's fault. It's why we need to end the drug war (and medicare).

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I can agree with demilitarizing the police, but I disagree that this is a problem with "big government". It's a problem with abusive government, not big government. There's a difference. Bigness does not NECESSARILY equal abusive.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy gently caress Obama's statement on Ferguson was the most milquetoast, wimpy poo poo ever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Iunnrais posted:

I can agree with demilitarizing the police, but I disagree that this is a problem with "big government". It's a problem with abusive government, not big government. There's a difference. Bigness does not NECESSARILY equal abusive.

If anything in this situation it's little local governments that big government ignores.

Magres posted:

Holy gently caress Obama's statement on Ferguson was the most milquetoast, wimpy poo poo ever.

Why would you be surprised. The only time I can think of him actually getting angry is when people were saying Larry loving Summers was a terrible pick for fed chair. He's a waste of time. Considering his opinions on Gaza and the NSA he's probably down with overblown police militarization since the people he hangs out with are all on board.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 14, 2014

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Magres posted:

The citizens of Ferguson should riot until Obama delivers a better speech.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Radish posted:

If anything in this situation it's little local governments that big government ignores.

I saw a good two-part tweet on that earlier - it was essentially "the greatest rights abuses in America have always been committed by local and state governments, and it has always been the Federal government that has had to step in and protect people's rights. Why do we hate the Federal government again?"

And I know, I know, I really should have given up hope, dehumanized myself, and faced to bloodshed a while ago but I cannot help but just loving pray that at some point Obama will grow even a single goddamned vertebrae of a spine.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Magres posted:

I saw a good two-part tweet on that earlier - it was essentially "the greatest rights abuses in America have always been committed by local and state governments, and it has always been the Federal government that has had to step in and protect people's rights. Why do we hate the Federal government again?"

And I know, I know, I really should have given up hope, dehumanized myself, and faced to bloodshed a while ago but I cannot help but just loving pray that at some point Obama will grow even a single goddamned vertebrae of a spine.

I think you forgot about a little thing called the War of Northern Aggression. :beck:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I keep a few retorts to "war of northern aggression" on hand at all times :getin:

War of Southern Treason is my favorite. After that when the 'not slavery, states' rights' poo poo gets broken out, the various articles of secession are a quick google away and ctrl+f 'slave' brings up all sorts of fun stuff.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously though that was a tiny bit of me that was hoping Obama wasn't going to parrot the typical bullshit "serious" response and actually call the police in that situation for what they were or at the very least show some anger but welp that will learn me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah I was in the same boat and was hoping he would at least, like, say that police brutality is bad or something.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Has any politician actually said "The unnecessary shooting of Mike Brown" or something? Or is it just "the passing", "the loss", "the tragic events" ?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Radish posted:

Seriously though that was a tiny bit of me that was hoping Obama wasn't going to parrot the typical bullshit "serious" response and actually call the police in that situation for what they were or at the very least show some anger but welp that will learn me.

To be honest, why would you expect that? This is just another black kid getting killed by another white cop and some people are angry about it again. Taking a hard stance on this would cause so much political fallout for Obama and for what? A not-insignificant portion of the country are inclined to believe cops can do no (or, at most, very little) wrong and that number grows tenfold once he victim of the aggression is a minority.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The only way progress has come to South Carolina has been with Federal Enforcement.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Magres posted:

I am OK with this actually. As Rand Paul and the libertarians show there is unease in the GOP about military-like police power and that might provide an avenue for reform. But if Obama comes out against it then the GOP would knee-jerk into full support.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Magres posted:

I'm glad the fed has stepped in to stop misuse of milsurp that they handed out like candy. :downsgun:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I am OK with this actually. As Rand Paul and the libertarians show there is unease in the GOP about military-like police power and that might provide an avenue for reform. But if Obama comes out against it then the GOP would knee-jerk into full support.
Or you could take the position that haters gonna hate no matter what he says, so why not say something useful.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Or you could take the position that haters gonna hate no matter what he says, so why not say something useful.

Or just go all in and say he's turning the US into a police start starting at 3:00 pm to get the GOP to suddenly remove every program that funnels military gear to local PDs.

Honestly considering his prior six years I think he really believes the idea that everything in the US is mostly ok and just don't rock the boat too much guys rather than him calculating that it would be bad if he spoke his true feelings.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Magres posted:

Conservatives hate the big central federal government because it hates them from making GBS threads all over People Not Like Me in their little local area governments. It's why state's rights has always been a huge deal; they want the "freedom" to do whatever the gently caress they want locally, be that dumping toxic waste on poor neighborhoods, restricting who can vote, forcing people to perform slave labor for life if they're caught with The Devil's Weed, and so forth. They can't get away with that nonsense on a national scale.

The federal government also has more teeth when it comes to enforcing things like monopoly laws, trade laws, and other such things the obscenely rich corporate masters loathe. They want unrestricted interstate commerce and they want that defended but they do not want pesky things like "regulations" and "environmental laws." They want it so that a corporation with its nominal headquarters in Pennsylvania could get away with whatever the gently caress it wanted in Ohio because well, dadgummit, they're a PA company so they aren't required to follow Ohio's laws but Pennsylvania laws only apply to the things you do in Pennsylvania so I guess that means the company can do whatever it pleases.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Radish posted:

Or just go all in and say he's turning the US into a police start starting at 3:00 pm to get the GOP to suddenly remove every program that funnels military gear to local PDs.

Honestly considering his prior six years I think he really believes the idea that everything in the US is mostly ok and just don't rock the boat too much guys rather than him calculating that it would be bad if he spoke his true feelings.

The first black president can't really afford to be a revolutionary one. :v: e: Actually, the first black president (and probably every subsequent one for at least a generation) won't be allowed to do anything, if we look at how the House is currently running itself (into the ground).

But yeah, he does genuinely seem to believe that it's best to not rock the boat. Leave that to the Clintons (lol).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 14, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

He should just leave it up to the local community, don't be so polarizing!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Magres posted:

Radish posted:

Why would you be surprised. The only time I can think of him actually getting angry is when people were saying Larry loving Summers was a terrible pick for fed chair.

If Obama gets up and gives the kind of angry speech we want, then he'll get called an "angry black man" and heavily discounted. This goes triple for anything perceived as a black-white race issue.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

If Obama gets up and gives the kind of angry speech we want, then he'll get called an "angry black man" and heavily discounted. This goes triple for anything perceived as a black-white race issue.

Yes wouldn't want to hurt his chances for a third term now would he.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yes wouldn't want to hurt his chances for a third term now would he.

"Dear god what will that angry black man do if we elect a democratic representative/senator!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

They are going to do this either way. They have turned his own name into a dog whistle to get racists agitated. At a certain point you have to stand up for something instead of just letting hyper conservatives dictate your moves for fear of offending the delicate sensibilities of white supremacists.

Of course that would be if he gave a poo poo which I don't think he does. As previously stated the practical difference is moot.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

I'd go more than that. I pretty much agree with everything except the Cato quote.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any figures on gun ownership across African-Americans? I know that it's guaranteed to never turn out the way I think it will but I'm kind of wondering what are the chances that the next black person to be hassled by cops will be armed

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

"Dear god what will that angry black man do if we elect a democratic representative/senator!"

Truly appearing not to give a poo poo about all this will surely get minorities out to vote democrat instead of furthering their justified disillusionment with the democratic party.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Truly appearing not to give a poo poo about all this will surely get minorities out to vote democrat instead of furthering their justified disillusionment with the democratic party.

"How will we get racist conservatives to vote for our party if we give a semblance of consideration for minority issues??"

Seriously the first black president won against two of the whitest men in the country. Hand wringing about making racists unhappy is the stupidest thing.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any figures on gun ownership across African-Americans? I know that it's guaranteed to never turn out the way I think it will but I'm kind of wondering what are the chances that the next black person to be hassled by cops will be armed

That usually doesn't turn out so well. Especially against cops. I don't recall the exact details of the story, but I know there was at least one black guy rotting in a jail cell for firing at cops while trying to protect his family when they kicked down his door in a no-knock raid on the wrong house.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Radish posted:

They are going to do this either way. They have turned his own name into a dog whistle to get racists agitated. At a certain point you have to stand up for something instead of just letting hyper conservatives dictate your moves for fear of offending the delicate sensibilities of white supremacists.

Of course that would be if he gave a poo poo which I don't think he does. As previously stated the practical difference is moot.

The trouble with this line of thinking is that you're assuming that the only people susceptible to dog-whistle racism, or, heck, racial pandering of any kind are frothing at the bit, burning-cross-on-the-lawn white supremacists that are just minutes away from lynching someone. They're not. If you're white, heck, if you're a member of just about any privileged class (because I run in circles with rich black folk, and let me tell you, I've heard some things that you would think you'd only hear at a lilly-white country club), you just need the right kind of whistle for you to start going 'Yeah, those fuckers!' You might think, "no, nutranurse, not me never. I kiss African babies and have memorized the color purple and pray before the altar of black jesus!" But the racial conditioning that American society affords has left a stain on every person in this country and it takes a constant conscious effort on a person's part to overcome poo poo like that.

Chances are, if Obama had come out race-guns blazing, a lot of white voters would rush over to the republicans (or just stayed at home) who would otherwise find the milquetoast democrat candidate decent enough. Nothing can cause upheavals at the polls like race-based fear. :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 14, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Minority turnout wasn't changed that much during other midterms.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yet there'll still be press 1 for English for everything because the free market determined bilingual call robots are useful.

We've gotten requests from some business customers to add Chinese. I assume that would really make racists' heads explode if they heard Spanish and Chinese on offer when they called in.

duz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Magres posted:

Fried Chicken posted:

Here is a curated set of tweets from veterans comparing their training with ferguson

https://storify.com/AthertonKD/veterans-on-ferguson

Also, the chief of the police here has been removed (not sure if this is ferguson chief or at Louis county chief) and state and federal is taking over
There's an 8-part tweet in there saying that; is that it?

• Locked thread